ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA COVID-19 Vaccination Updates

Page 104, ran through the numbers for you. Mine are a combination of 2020 US census data and cdc data. Math is hard. Btw, even your numbers blow away the claim this is a predominantly red state problem.
Your garbage is garbage as usual.
I showed you the latest vaccination numbers from the CDC site today.

Whites 61% of total population

Whites 66% of unvaccinated population

So whites are more of a vaccination problem than “minorities”

If people are hesitant to get the mRNA vaccines because of their new method of delivery, then why are they foregoing the J&J vaccine which uses a more traditional delivery method?

Why aren't those in charge pushing this angle?

what part of "get the vaccine" is difficult for anyone, even you, to understand?
Klive,
The point is we have had so many messages that were NOT true why should folks who have doubts believe this message? [yes I am vaccinated]

Reactions: bison13
Klive,
The point is we have had so many messages that were NOT true why should folks who have doubts believe this message? [yes I am vaccinated]
What messages???
I have heard the president say GET VACCINATED hundreds of times since he was inaugurated

Reactions: tgar
What messages???
I have heard the president say GET VACCINATED hundreds of times since he was inaugurated

to ask a question like that means you are just so partisan and not listening at all. The montage of Kamala and Biden saying they won't get a Trump vaccine are out there. the montage of Fauci saying things one way and then the opposite are out there. The CDC cacophony of mis steps is insane. Politicians saying mask and then see out to dinner with no mask. So all those messages are conflicting. those messages.

those same questions can be asked about the vaccine as well. maybe slightly more uncertainty around the immune response based on the level of covid exposure you had. but the other questions have no better answer with the vaccine then with natural antibodies.

and on the flip side, not like the vaccine is 100% risk free which you are assuming. So if I have natural anti-bodies from previous infection and am a healthy person under the age of 50, then the risk management most likely says the unknown of the vaccine is greater than the unknown of a second much more negative reaction to covid when i already have antibodies, have defeated once, and are a healthy person with a good immune system.

so as you say, it is not black and white and there are instances where I think a vaccine might be the more risky, especially for the case above I just mentioned for a women who is of child bearing age. Not sure a healthy 20 year old women who was already infected with Covid that the least risky scenario going forward is to get the vaccine. Show me the data that says there is zero risk to that person, you cannot nor can anybody and that is a pretty big risk if the vaccine does in fact have some effects on fertility that have not been shown yet. Point is risk management is not always on the side of vaccination.

Almost 200 million have done the risk analysis and have got at least one jab. The risk analysis for most of those folks as a group is certainly higher than most of those who have not. While you bring up valid examples they still represent the exception/fringe of the numbers, how many women of childbearing age have already got a jab? Do you know for certain that getting covid carries zero risk of impacting fertility or creating other new long-term medical issues we don't know about yet?

We can go in circles discussing this, my point is you're the one making the risk analysis/excuses for others in a situation where millions have already done the analysis and got the jab.

Almost 200 million have done the risk analysis and have got at least one jab. The risk analysis for most of those folks as a group is certainly higher than most of those who have not. While you bring up valid examples they still represent the exception/fringe of the numbers, how many women of childbearing age have already got a jab? Do you know for certain that getting covid carries zero risk of impacting fertility or creating other new long-term medical issues we don't know about yet?

We can go in circles discussing this, my point is you're the one making the risk analysis/excuses for others in a situation where millions have already done the analysis and got the jab.

He's not making excuses for them, he's recognizing them. It's called empathy. Remember that word? Effective leaders are good at using it to their benefit.

to ask a question like that means you are just so partisan and not listening at all. The montage of Kamala and Biden saying they won't get a Trump vaccine are out there. the montage of Fauci saying things one way and then the opposite are out there. The CDC cacophony of mis steps is insane. Politicians saying mask and then see out to dinner with no mask. So all those messages are conflicting. those people
I have to agree slightly, those dimwits are capable of finding every reason not to get vaccinated based on all sorts of anti vax material in the digital universe but can’t consult their physician or community health services for some sound advice.

I get that most of them do not read the NYT and get their news from Aunt Carols FB page

it’s laughable how many times some of you try to provide cover for a bunch or really stupid people. Mixed messaging my ass. Call your physician. It’s pretty simple.

own your decision and quit blaming “ mixed messaging” the only messaging I constantly here from National leaders and local leaders alike is get vaccinated.

your blame the messaging message is hollow.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2

And you’re making the assumption that those that haven’t gotten the vaccine aren’t making any risk analysis.

Reactions: indynittany
I have to agree slightly, those dimwits are capable of finding every reason not to get vaccinated based on all sorts of anti vax material in the digital universe but can’t consult their physician or community health services for some sound advice.

I get that most of them do not read the NYT and get their news from Aunt Carols FB page

it’s laughable how many times some of you try to provide cover for a bunch or really stupid people. Mixed messaging my ass. Call your physician. It’s pretty simple.

own your decision and quit blaming “ mixed messaging” the only messaging I constantly here from National leaders and local leaders alike is get vaccinated.

So if they consulted with their doctor and were told they don’t need to get it at this point, why are they still being called stupid?

What messages???
He also said if you get the vaccine, you can’t get Covid. You’d make a good little communist, Comrade.

you do recognize that the vaccine has been out there for about one year only with the original Phase 1/2 participants last year and has only been in wide circulations to millions since January. When I am talking risk, I am talking short term risk (ie...less than a year) as obviously that is known. I said MEDIUM and LONG term risk. Nobody knows what the risk of the vaccine is out 3, 5, or 10 years. Just like nobody knows the risk of getting covid is out that far. That is the point I am making, you have to manage that risk.

For somebody that already has antibodies from an previous Covid infection, they may see the medium/long term risk of the vaccine (which is unknown) as more risk than getting the vaccine and whatever benefit comes from getting a vaccine AFTER already having antibodies.

if you don't understand that type of thinking and risk management scenario, then no sense continuing on the conversation.

You miss the point entirely. If you want to convince someone to do something, the most important thing is the message. The most important thing behind any message is trust. Trust is never a given, and is easily destroyed. In messaging, perception is reality.

If I were the administration, I'd take a much more positive approach. Talk up those vaccination numbers. Point out how even though the vaccines weren't developed for delta, they still are providing great results anyways. For some reason the administration has taken an adversarial approach, and you see those results.

So if they consulted with their doctor and were told they don’t need to get it at this point, why are they still being called stupid?
Maybe you know someone who received that advice regarding Delta from a physician. I sure don’t and don’t know of any doctors recommending that path. None.

Last edited:
Maybe you know someone who received that advice regarding Delta from a physician. I sure don’t and don’t know if any doctors recommending that path. None.
Well then, case closed, you’re medical expertise trumps all.

Thanks for the link.

I looked at the Axios article, as well as the preprint that the Axios (and other) articles are based upon.

I'm not sure how to state this without seeming condescending, so I'll just state it simply. I'm a physician who has spent the past 30 yrs at either federal research institutes or academic medical centers, focused on lab and clinical research. So while I'm not an epidemiologist nor an infectious disease expert, I have a working knowledge of clinical trials and the drug approval process.

Based on the data I've seen (see below), as well as trusted sources (NIH, CDC, Hopkins) it is abundantly clear that the ongoing pandemic is driven by the unvaccinated. Choosing which media sources to listen to is difficult in these days of rampant mis-information. I think you go with respected mainstream sources. Time has proven the fringe sources (hydroxychloroquine is the answer) are usually incorrect. Experts are expert because they have spent years studying the subject. I'm not saying that CDC/NIH are always correct, but I am saying I'd trust them over some DO stating that vaccines magnetize people.

Unvaccinated people seem to fall into three categories:
1) Hardcore non vaxxers--Jenny McCarthy, Kennedy, Hasidic jews, etc.
2) Trump/Fox/ONN followers, who dont want to listen to science or govt experts--spurred on by the right wing media
3) Black people who are concerned that the government is "experimenting on them"-- spurred on by the left wing media

The article cited by Axios is interesting, but has three significant flaws. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.06.21261707v1

1) The authors generated "triplets" that had tested positive for Covid. Each "triplet " consisted of one unvaccinated person, one Moderna vaxxed person, and one Pfizer vaxxed. They controlled for sex, race, state of origin, but not age. This was a bad mistake. Age is well known to be the single most important variable for serious Covid disease.

2) The authors based their analysis on databases of patients within the Mayo system. Patients in the Mayo system who didnt receive a vaccine within the Mayo system were considered unvaccinated. But these people could have received a vaccine at CVS, or a football stadium.

3) The widely quoted 42% figure is based on Table 4. In this table, 3 and 4 people who received the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, respectively, contracted Covid. Its really difficult to make any broad statements on vaccine efficacy or policy based on, literally, 3 and 4 patients.

Due to a perfect storm, we are currently in a pandemic of mis-information as well as virus.

My advice is to pay attention to several well-respected, public sources of information. CDC, FDA, NIH officials, experts from academia. And your primary care physician.

Re your: Based on the data I've seen...as well as trusted sources (NIH, CDC, Hopkins) it is abundantly clear that the ongoing pandemic is driven by the unvaccinated.

That's the company line of course, but it looks shakier by the day. (I'm vaccinated, by the way, and believe vaccination is a wise choice for anyone in the higher-risk categories.)

For instance, here's the title and subtitle of a story today in the New York Times, which is not exactly an anti-vax hotbed:

>>Israel, Once the Model for Beating Covid, Faces New Surge of Infections: One of the most vaccinated societies, Israel now has one of the highest infection rates in the world, raising questions about the vaccine's efficacy<<

The story notes that the ongoing Covid surge in Israel is being "driven" not by the unvaccinated Orthodox population but rather by middle-class, vaccinated suburbanites.

Unless human biology in Israel is different from ours, I suggest the Israeli experience just might be instructive for America as well.

In fact, only yesterday our own CDC Director reported that vaccine effectiveness has been "waning" in this country over a period of months. But not to worry, she said the vaccines are still "holding up pretty well" against hospitalization and severe disease.

"Pretty well." The CDC Director. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

But the Usual Suspects want to downplay all this: oh yeah, we knew it all the time, nothing surprising.

Except if you look at their statements only six months ago, it is clear the current situation is not something they remotely knew or predicted. Just the opposite.

I make this point not to denigrate the vaccines but to observe that the track record of the "experts" and their media mouthpieces is not terribly impressive.

Scapegoating the unvaccinated may get them off the hook with those who either haven't been paying attention or have their own non-scientific agenda, but it won't change the hard reality of the situation we're facing.

He's not making excuses for them, he's recognizing them. It's called empathy. Remember that word? Effective leaders are good at using it to their benefit.
That’s a word Trump doesn’t know the meaning of. In fact it’s anathema to Republicans

Re your: Based on the data I've seen...as well as trusted sources (NIH, CDC, Hopkins) it is abundantly clear that the ongoing pandemic is driven by the unvaccinated.

That's the company line of course, but it looks shakier by the day. (I'm vaccinated, by the way, and believe vaccination is a wise choice for anyone in the higher-risk categories.)

For instance, here's the title and subtitle of a story today in the New York Times, which is not exactly an anti-vax hotbed:

>>Israel, Once the Model for Beating Covid, Faces New Surge of Infections: One of the most vaccinated societies, Israel now has one of the highest infection rates in the world, raising questions about the vaccine's efficacy<<

The story notes that the ongoing Covid surge in Israel is being "driven" not by the unvaccinated Orthodox population but rather by middle-class, vaccinated suburbanites.

Unless human biology in Israel is different from ours, I suggest the Israeli experience just might be instructive for America as well.

In fact, only yesterday our own CDC Director reported that vaccine effectiveness has been "waning" in this country over a period of months. But not to worry, she said the vaccines are still "holding up pretty well" against hospitalization and severe disease.

But the Usual Suspects want to downplay all this: oh yeah, we knew it all the time, nothing surprising.

Except if you look at their statements only six months ago, it is clear the current situation is not something they remotely knew or predicted. Just the opposite.

I make this point not to denigrate the vaccines but to observe that the track record of the "experts" and their media mouthpieces is not terribly impressive.

Scapegoating the unvaccinated may get them off the hook with those who either haven't been paying attention or have their own non-scientific agenda, but it won't change the hard reality of the situation we're facing.
I feel like we make it half way to the finish line on every play and never cross.

With the unvaxxed and leakage for the vaxxed (which research is now showing is as communicable as the unvaxxed) we will almost never get there. We will mitigate this over time, but there will also be mutations...end game is that we'd better get used to living with this thing for some time to come.

14 years to lower the curve...I guess.

Well then, case closed, you’re medical expertise trumps all.
Yeah. Your suggestion that millions of folks have been told by their doctors not to get vaccinated is one of the dumber things you have posted and you have posted a bunch.
Now, if you said they get their info from Hannity, we’ll OK.

Reactions: aferrelli

Six months ago we didn’t have Delta, now, with 98.8%of infections being that variant, different ballgame. Six months ago it may have been OK for only the infirm and compromised to get vaccinated, now. Different ballgame. Delta doesn’t care as much about age and health status as Alpha. That’s become pretty obvious.

Feels good to be vaxxed doesn't it! Feels good to encourage unvaxxed folks you know to consult their physician as well!

Reactions: LaJollaLion
Yeah. Your suggestion that millions of folks have been told by their doctors not to get vaccinated is one of the dumber things you have posted and you have posted a bunch.
Now, if you said they get their info from Hannity, we’ll OK.
Where did I say millions? You post something dumber than hell and then say my post was dumb? You’re not very good at this. Be better.

Reactions: bison13 and 91Joe95
Where did I say millions? You post something dumber than hell and then say my post was dumb? You’re not very good at this. Be oh, so you only meant Aunt Nancy and cousin Tina. Got it. LOL.

And you topped your dumb post with an even dumber one….you keep getting worse at this.

That’s a word Trump doesn’t know the meaning of. In fact it’s anathema to Republicans

Maybe, but for all of Biden's and democrats talk about using it, they are doing a really poor job. If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm a little surprised by their clumsiness and ineptitude in their messaging. That's independent of what they are doing to the cdc data.

My wife and I were in Hershey his week. The place was packed, it looked prepandemic. Aside from employees, few people in public places were wearing masks.
When we came back home we went out to a restaurant that had ample outdoor seating. The inside was full. My physician and a surgeon friend of mine were at the bar with a friend. Nobody was wearing masks. They had an attitude of resignation about bothering with continued masking and distancing. They had reached the conclusion that the virus is here to stay and we are all going to get it at some point. You just have to hope your health is good enough and you have some residual immunity.
This virus is certainly endemic. Everybody who thought this was going to be ending by now has been proven wrong. If I had to bet, I would guess that there will be many more unexpected developments and that they will result from this being an artificial virus, for which s no precedent.

My wife and I were in Hershey his week. The place was packed, it looked prepandemic. Aside from employees, few people in public places were wearing masks.
When we came back home we went out to a restaurant that had ample outdoor seating. The inside was full. My physician and a surgeon friend of mine were at the bar with a friend. Nobody was wearing masks. They had an attitude of resignation about bothering with continued masking and distancing. They had reached the conclusion that the virus is here to stay and we are all going to get it at some point. You just have to hope your health is good enough and you have some residual immunity.
This virus is certainly endemic. Everybody who thought this was going to be ending by now has been proven wrong. If I had to bet, I would guess that there will be many more unexpected developments and that they will result from this being an artificial virus, for which s no precedent.
full agreement. everybody will get exposed to this virus by end of 2022. get the boosters out to those who need it to try and keep the vulnerable as safe as possible. get that 5-11 group eligible as fast as possible. CDC and Admin should be SCREAMING from the mountaintop for people to get healthy as literally we are talking life and death type situation and if that isn't going to get you to watch what you eat and exercise a little, to stop smoking, to figure out your health better, then that is on you. but the message should be loud and clear to get healthy as this isn't going away and that science might not be fast enough to keep up with the evolution of this virus.

and yes, the USA should be pushing along with Europe, Korea, Japan, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, etc...for a worldwide deep investigation of Wuhan lab and what was going on there. need to figure out the truth to try and be able to stop this thing.

The article is behind a paywall, so I dont know the details of this article.

But I am aware of Delta surges in Israel.

Consider the following:

1) I'm guessing you were trying to be ironic asking whether Israelis' biology may be different than ours. But Israel IS a much more homogeneous society than is US. Just off the top of my head, the following conditions are more common in Israel than US--BRCA1/2; Gaucher's disease, cystic fibrosis, Tay Sachs disease.

Here is a summary of a very recent study from 14 million people in the US. Vaccines remain our very best realistic hope of preventing serious illness and spread of disease.

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/usa-covid-19-vaccination-updates.289944/page-109#post-5670736

2) This IS a novel coronavirus, so there is much to learn about it, and one should be happy when public health officials change recommendations based on emerging data. Rather than sticking with outdated recommendations.

3) Emerging evidence suggests that antibodies wain in the months following immunization, so, the public health (CDC, etc) is or will soon be recommending boosters. Especially since Delta requires higher levels of neutralizing antibodies

Reactions: tgar and mn78psu83
full agreement. everybody will get exposed to this virus by end of 2022. get the boosters out to those who need it to try and keep the vulnerable as safe as possible. get that 5-11 group eligible as fast as possible. CDC and Admin should be SCREAMING from the mountaintop for people to get healthy as literally we are talking life and death type situation and if that isn't going to get you to watch what you eat and exercise a little, to stop smoking, to figure out your health better, then that is on you. but the message should be loud and clear to get healthy as this isn't going away and that science might not be fast enough to keep up with the evolution of this virus.

and yes, the USA should be pushing along with Europe, Korea, Japan, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, etc...for a worldwide deep investigation of Wuhan lab and what was going on there. need to figure out the truth to try and be able to stop this thing.
The thing that was so weird is that the sheer number of people, along with the amount of contact just doesn’t appear to jibe at all with the increased transmissibility of the Delta variant. I can only presume that the behavior we saw was typical for this summer and was not isolated to our brief period of observation. Delta had become the dominant strain in the US well before August, and yes, case counts have been rising, but not in the way most people would have anticipated.
I dunno, maybe we’ll both end up with COVID next week, but I can guarantee we will be two in a very big crowd.

You do know Trump was an asshole right? He was effective and efficient, but he was still a jerk.
Effective? Never
Efficient? The opposite

He is a complete doofus who makes ridiculous self-aggrandizing statements, a pathological liar who has cost our country trillions in wasted effort and lives. He is the embodiment of self-deluded narcissism. He is a stain on our country, an embarrassment to the USA for all time. The worst president in the history of our country and it's not even close.

But thanks to his shameless dishonesty and hucksterism, he was good at making himself and friends rich and he still is bilking his fans with those automatic, recurring campaign contributions that they unwittingly sign up for. It is ironic that he was never really a profitable businessman until he was forced to sell out and become a reality TV buffoon. He took it all the way to the top.

Respectfully Dr You give away you bias. Points 1 and 3 are valid. As to point 2. We know Trump was vaccinated as soon as he was allowed after having Covid. So someone who had Covid AND was given the mono clonal antibodies elected to get vaccinated and he is against the vaccine?
It’s pretty clear he said Trump followers, not Trump.

Here's an example of why I think the reporting is horrible. Everything I read talks about the spike in cases and hospitalizations in Florida. But if I look at the deaths being reported the number has declined 120 or so per day at the beginning of the month to single digits. I hear that it's now impacting kids but I can't find data on Delta variant deaths by age. I hear that this is an epedimic of the unvaccinated but they say we better soon get a booster. I assume that the increase in hospitalizations is true but beyond that I have no idea what to believe.

Scroll down to graph of daily deaths in Florida
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/

It’s pretty clear he said Trump followers, not Trump.
Well. "Trump/Fox/ONN" doesn't seem like that means followers. If it did isn't the list a bit redundant? Finally and I have asked this repeatedly Trump had Covid so he had antibodies, when Trump was in the hospital he received mono clonal antibodies. Despite a double dose of antibodies he went and got vaccinated as soon as he was eligible. Why in the world would someone who "followed Trump" decide against vaccinations? Makes no sense.

This paragraph makes zero sense. We are now, Terri years in, changing the way we count deaths???

The one-day jump in the number of reported cases and deaths comes amid a change in the way deaths and cases are counted. The change was implemented by the CDC last week, resulting in occasional one-day aberrations like the 799 deaths reported on Thursday.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article253612503.html#storylink=cpy

Reactions: bison13 and 91Joe95
Well. "Trump/Fox/ONN" doesn't seem like that means followers. If it did isn't the list a bit redundant? Finally and I have asked this repeatedly Trump had Covid so he had antibodies, when Trump was in the hospital he received mono clonal antibodies. Despite a double dose of antibodies he went and got vaccinated as soon as he was eligible. Why in the world would someone who "followed Trump" decide against vaccinations? Makes no sense.
Fake news. Before covid the biggest anti vax people were Hollywood elites. Today it is younger people, African Americans, Hispanics, college kids. Hardly the trump core support. Furthermore Trump tried to take credit for the vaccine. Why would he discredit something he’d tried To take credit for???

makes zero sense.

Effective? Never
Efficient? The opposite

He is a complete doofus who makes ridiculous self-aggrandizing statements, a pathological liar who has cost our country trillions in wasted effort and lives. He is the embodiment of self-deluded narcissism. He is a stain on our country, an embarrassment to the USA for all time. The worst president in the history of our country and it's not even close.

But thanks to his shameless dishonesty and hucksterism, he was good at making himself and friends rich and he still is bilking his fans with those automatic, recurring campaign contributions that they unwittingly sign up for. It is ironic that he was never really a profitable businessman until he was forced to sell out and become a reality TV buffoon. He took it all the way to the top.

Lol, I hope that rant made you feel better, but I think you forgot to address Biden's messaging problem which prompted the entire exchange.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT