ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA COVID-19 Vaccination Updates

Probably a Super Bowl Party spike. Hopefully a small one since it was a single day event unlike the holiday season.

Maybe, but the weather was absolutely terrible across half the county last week. There were definitely people who did not get tested or delayed testing due to weather.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Maybe, but the weather was absolutely terrible across half the county last week. There were definitely people who did not get tested or delayed testing due to weather.

That's possible too. We'll see when we get another week or so along. If the overall trend bumped up, then their was a spike. If not, then it's probably weather related.

Nice graph. Proves nothing though. We all know there is always a lag of about two weeks. And with the bad weather, it might be even longer before we know the full story.

Some of you people are too attached to your narratives to have healthy discussions with. I'm not here to push any narrative. I'm here to discuss what's going on. If you can't separate your narrative from reality, don't bother responding to me please.

Nice graph. Proves nothing though. We all know there is always a lag of about two weeks. And with the bad weather, it might be even longer before we know the full story.

Some of you people are too attached to your narratives to have healthy discussions with. I'm not here to push any narrative. I'm here to discuss what's going on. If you can't separate your narrative from reality, don't bother responding to me please.
Are we going to continue to microanalyze this ad infinitum? If so, should we do this for other illnesses, because I'm sure that when people come together, the rate of illnesses increase? If this is the case, then starting now, maybe humans should become solitary like many wild animals.

Reactions: bison13
Are we going to continue to microanalyze this ad infinitum? If so, should we do this for other illnesses, because I'm sure that when people come together, the rate of illnesses increase? If this is the case, then starting now, maybe humans should become solitary like many wild animals.

What on earth are you spouting off about? We are discussing whether or not the recent jump in cases is related to Super Bowl parties, the recent bad weather, or just an anomaly. If you don't wish to participate, feel free to ignore our posts and not respond. This is a thread about the pandemic -- admittedly this particular discussion has gotten off track (though was in response to an on topic post) -- so I'd assume by opening it you must have expected this type of discussion.

we are down, way down.....city of 110,000......had 40 new cases yesterday. Hospitalizations down from 118 to 33 in the past month. Pending cases yesterday and for the last two weeks.....about 14 a day, down from 1,200 a day about a month ago.

What on earth are you spouting off about? We are discussing whether or not the recent jump in cases is related to Super Bowl parties, the recent bad weather, or just an anomaly. If you don't wish to participate, feel free to ignore our posts and not respond. This is a thread about the pandemic -- admittedly this particular discussion has gotten off track (though was in response to an on topic post) -- so I'd assume by opening it you must have expected this type of discussion.
Cases have not jumped. Basically pretty steady

USA:

New cases down 37%
Deaths down 20%

That is as of 1 minute ago.

FFS pay attention to the entire conversation. This is the post from this morning that started the discussion. According to Cletus, cases and fatalities are up from a week ago. It's not difficult to click back to find the start of a conversation.

71,054 positives reported yesterday compared to 66,324 week over week. 7-day rolling average stays constant for first time in a while at to 70,255

Fatality was 2404 compared to 1374 yesterday and 1811 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 2126.

For Hospitalizations, Total hospitalizations in USA with Covid is 55,058 down from yesterday 55,403, compared to 64,533 week over week .

FFS pay attention to the entire conversation. This is the post from this morning that started the discussion. According to Cletus, cases and fatalities are up from a week ago. It's not difficult to click back to find the start of a conversation.

I made a post about the numbers I just heard. I didn't respond to you so stop putting yourself in every conversation.

Looks like another poster to the ignore column.

I made a post about the numbers I just heard. I didn't respond to you so stop putting yourself in every conversation.

Looks like another poster to the ignore column.

Well your post was immediately after I corrected someone else on the same topic, so I apologize for assuming you were trying to correct me. But go ahead and ignore me anyway. I don't really care.

Personally I think we are headed quickly toward herd immunity. For every positive test there are three people who had it and didn’t get tested. IMO the vaccine is helping but the drop in cases and hospitalization is natural immunity. Talk to people in restaurant business for example. It’s like they have ALL had it.

i would not say we are in a spike situation, nothing near it. Seems we have platuaed basically the last few days.
66.1%? J&J gets a D for their vaccine.

o_O

72% in the USA. And Fauci was on the other day and said ZERO people who were in Phase 2 and 3 trials for J&J around the world have died of Covid and only a handful were hospitalized. So it does what it needs to in keeping people out of hospital and dying and for most minimizes any symptoms. But no doubt not as a good as a double dose Pfizer/Moderna. That is why if Cletus was in charge, I would say that only people to get J&J are actually the under 65 healthy crowd and leave the double doses for the more higher risk. So I would be sending J&J vaccines only to the Pharmacies and those pharmacies announce they are only doing J&J shots and then say that J&J shots are open to 50-65 year olds and start there.

Last edited:
0.855M shots yesterday so total up to 65.03M with the 7 day rolling average at 1.28M. 79.2% of shots administered is the national average, 13.4% of population with 1+ dose (note this is percent of population that has been given 1 or 2 doses, so total percent that have been pricked by a needle), 6.0% with double dose. So far, 44.5 million have received at least one dose. At least 19.9 million people have completed the two-dose vaccination regimen.

Doses delivered is 82.11M compared to yesterday 75.20M. 6.91 doses delivered yesterday. Previous week totals for doses delivered is 5.1M, 9.96M and , 9.4M.

71,054 positives reported yesterday compared to 66,324 week over week. 7-day rolling average stays constant for first time in a while at to 70,255

Fatality was 2404 compared to 1374 yesterday and 1811 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 2126.

For Hospitalizations, Total hospitalizations in USA with Covid is 55,058 down from yesterday 55,403, compared to 64,533 week over week .

So not a good day yesterday with two consecutive days of week over week daily positives and fatalities rising. I hope that is a reporting anamoly due to late reporting because of weather and not an uptick somehow. Horrible day yesterday on the vaccine front with less than a million shots. At least it appears 6M+ doses was delivered so should be a big day today. Still not sure why it took so long to get those vaccines out there as they were reporting late last week where they were stuck. Also don't understand the 13.5M announced as what is going out this week as there was 6M last week announced not delivered so we were at 10M so at a minumum should be 16M delivered this week and they were talking about how that 10M was supposed to become 13M so 13M + 6M is 19M delivered this week. So we will see how many actually get delivered but I fear something funky is going on. Pfizer and Moderna are continuing to put in the press that they have huge volume ready to go and yet we don't see it being delivered. So based on what I read, it appears now the federal government has vaccines available to deliver but is not delivery them to the states and the question I am pondering is why. We will see this week. If we get 19M+ shots delivered this week than no issues. If we only get 13M shots this week delivered than we have a major problem.

1.4M shots yesterday so total up to 66.463M with the 7 day rolling average at 1.30M. 75.0% of shots administered is the national average, 13.6% of population with 1+ dose (note this is percent of population that has been given 1 or 2 doses, so total percent that have been pricked by a needle), 6.2% with double dose. So far, 45.2 million have received at least one dose. At least 20.6 million people have completed the two-dose vaccination regimen

Doses delivered is 88.62M compared to yesterday 82.11M. 13.42 doses delivered so far this week. Previous week totals for doses delivered is 5.1M, 9.96M and , 9.4M.

75,299 positives reported yesterday compared to 73,945 week over week. 7-day rolling average stays constant for first time in a while at to 70,678

Fatality was 2525 compared to 2404 yesterday and 2536 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 2131.

For Hospitalizations, Total hospitalizations in USA with Covid is 54,118 down from yesterday 55,058, compared to 63,405 week over week .

SO good news is all the vaccines were delivered the last few days and vaccinations went up to 1.4M. Hopefully we see that climb up tomorrow and hit 2M+ by weekend now that that the doses are there. Also interesting to see if we go over the 13.4M doses now as noted yesterday I think that number should be more in the 19M+ doses considering the 6M left over from last week and the stated 13M+ for this week (which was supposed to be an increase from 10M per week the previous 3 weeks). Also hoping that we see daily positive and fatality start to inch down again as reporting functions from delays last week should hopefully have worked their way through the system the last few days. If we don't see week over week numbers lower by this weekend that will be concerning to me. We are flat now, so no spiking, just not seeing a downward trend like we were the last 3+ weeks except for hospitalization which continue to go down but even those are going at a lower rate of decline. Need a good end of the week here with the vaccinations to close out February on a good note.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJG-90
Finally got my 1st yesterday after being rescheduled due to weather. Made the appt over a month ago. Thought I was getting Moderna but was surprised with Pfizer. Injection spot it a little sore but at my age everything is a little sore. Looking forward to the 2nd one and getting past this shit. PSU announced the fully expect all students to be in the classroom in the fall.

Finally got my 1st yesterday after being rescheduled due to weather. Made the appt over a month ago. Thought I was getting Moderna but was surprised with Pfizer. Injection spot it a little sore but at my age everything is a little sore. Looking forward to the 2nd one and getting past this shit. PSU announced the fully expect all students to be in the classroom in the fall.
A few weeks ago, the President of the University of South Carolina advised his professors that they need to be ready to teach in person this fall, and only should teach remotely as a supplement to in-person instruction.

Personally I think we are headed quickly toward herd immunity. For every positive test there are three people who had it and didn’t get tested. IMO the vaccine is helping but the drop in cases and hospitalization is natural immunity. Talk to people in restaurant business for example. It’s like they have ALL had it.

I believe that as well. In fact I think what we are seeing is a combination of the vaccine, people that have tested and have had it, and what I think is a lot of people that have had it but never tested.

Wife and I both had it, got tested. We assume kids had it as well because it ran through our whole family. They never got tested.

That is why if Cletus was in charge, I would say that only people to get J&J are actually the under 65 healthy crowd and leave the double doses for the more higher risk.

Full disclosure, I'm 54 and have already received the double dose of Pfizer. But I'd still lower that from 65 to 50. And only those in PA's group 2 (and whatever that equivalent is in other states). For one thing, Pfizer and Moderna are putting out more doses than J&J. I'm not sure J&J can enough doses out quickly enough to make a dent in what they'd need to cover the group I mentioned let alone if it was every healthy person under 65.

I believe that as well. In fact I think what we are seeing is a combination of the vaccine, people that have tested and have had it, and what I think is a lot of people that have had it but never tested.

Wife and I both had it, got tested. We assume kids had it as well because it ran through our whole family. They never got tested.

One of my friend's family had it. Only his wife was tested but because he and their daughter both had symptoms they were presumed positive but were never tested. So that makes me wonder what exactly they are counting. Did just the wife get counted? Or all three? I'm betting on just the wife.

Another friend and her husband caught it and were both tested even though only he had symptoms (she later lost taste and smell). I guess it depends where you live whether or not you get tested.

I've been tested twice -- both rapid tests, both negative -- once before each vaccine dose.

Reactions: Texas Lion
One of my friend's family had it. Only his wife was tested but because he and their daughter both had symptoms they were presumed positive but were never tested. So that makes me wonder what exactly they are counting. Did just the wife get counted? Or all three? I'm betting on just the wife.

On our local news here in Chicago, when they announce the COVID numbers, they say call it "new confirmed and probable cases". So I think it includes positive tests and those presumed positive via contact tracing. So, to answer your question, if the wife talked to the contact tracing folks then the husband and daughter were probably counted. Otherwise, probably not. Note that this is all my best guess. I could be wrong.

On our local news here in Chicago, when they announce the COVID numbers, they say call it "new confirmed and probable cases". So I think it includes positive tests and those presumed positive via contact tracing. So, to answer your question, if the wife talked to the contact tracing folks then the husband and daughter were probably counted. Otherwise, probably not. Note that this is all my best guess. I could be wrong.

That makes sense. They all got prescription drugs of some sort and all talked to the doctor via facetime or whatever video appointment system was used. Maybe all three did get counted.

Full disclosure, I'm 54 and have already received the double dose of Pfizer. But I'd still lower that from 65 to 50. And only those in PA's group 2 (and whatever that equivalent is in other states). For one thing, Pfizer and Moderna are putting out more doses than J&J. I'm not sure J&J can enough doses out quickly enough to make a dent in what they'd need to cover the group I mentioned let alone if it was every healthy person under 65.

I am not saying that the 50-65 group only gets J&J. I am saying that they should have the J&J shot only goto healthy people and save the double dose right now for the high risk. Once the high risk is done getting the double shot, then the entire USA is open up to Pfizer/Moderna. But in the short term, ie...next 6 weeks, the J&J shot should be going to the 50-65 age group. As if you are high risk and go get a J&J shot, that might not be the best compared to getting a double dose that is more effective. That is the point.

I am not saying that the 50-65 group only gets J&J. I am saying that they should have the J&J shot only goto healthy people and save the double dose right now for the high risk. Once the high risk is done getting the double shot, then the entire USA is open up to Pfizer/Moderna. But in the short term, ie...next 6 weeks, the J&J shot should be going to the 50-65 age group. As if you are high risk and go get a J&J shot, that might not be the best compared to getting a double dose that is more effective. That is the point.

I guess I kind of agree. Right now I'd only put the J&J shot into the arm of a healthy person under 65 but let the rest get administered the way they've been administering them.

I guess I kind of agree. Right now I'd only put the J&J shot into the arm of a healthy person under 65 but let the rest get administered the way they've been administering them.

The J&J shot is good, and from all the data protects you from dying and 99.99% from going into the hospital but it is not as good as the two shot (i actually think that J&J two shot would be the same as the current two shot just they didn't test it. same way based on the Israeli report the one shot of Pfizer is about same as one shot J&J).

Reactions: bison13 and MJG-90
Everybody right now is going to get a double dose. Only J&J is a single dose and that is all it ever was. Anybody with Pfizer/Moderna will get both doses. Issue is that that second dose is just going to be delayed for some by a couple of weeks. There is no current plan to only use a single dose of Pfizer/Moderna.
Oddly enough, when I posted my question, it was addressing those people advocating that doses should be prioritized for those getting first shots at the expense of those receiving their second. Since then, my second dose was cancelled (I don't know why) and I have not been able to schedule it elsewhere. I'm on my state's (DE) list and try 3 different pharmacies about 10 times/day. It was my understanding that Moderna second doses should be received 28 - 42 days after the first. If I can't get that second dose by then, what options do I have? Get the second dose anyway and hope that it still works? Start over and get either another 2 dose regimen (or one J&J)?

Oddly enough, when I posted my question, it was addressing those people advocating that doses should be prioritized for those getting first shots at the expense of those receiving their second. Since then, my second dose was cancelled (I don't know why) and I have not been able to schedule it elsewhere. I'm on my state's (DE) list and try 3 different pharmacies about 10 times/day. It was my understanding that Moderna second doses should be received 28 - 42 days after the first. If I can't get that second dose by then, what options do I have? Get the second dose anyway and hope that it still works? Start over and get either another 2 dose regimen (or one J&J)?

keep calling, the place where you got the first shot should also give you the second shot. I would go as far as going personally into the location and tell them the issue. But a lot of second shots were postponed due to the delay in shipments last week so you are not alone. They have also come out and said that the second shot can be completed upto 6 weeks from the first shot and still be fine. So the 21/28 days is just the initial recommendation but it is not a hard date that if you don't it all goes to nothing, both Moderna and Pfizer and CDC have said upto 42 days (6 weeks) is fine. So you should be OK as I think we are going to start to see very large amount of vaccines coming out the next few weeks. We should be up to 15M+ next week and by mid/late March be at 20M vaccines delivered per week.

keep calling, the place where you got the first shot should also give you the second shot. I would go as far as going personally into the location and tell them the issue. But a lot of second shots were postponed due to the delay in shipments last week so you are not alone. They have also come out and said that the second shot can be completed upto 6 weeks from the first shot and still be fine. So the 21/28 days is just the initial recommendation but it is not a hard date that if you don't it all goes to nothing, both Moderna and Pfizer and CDC have said upto 42 days (6 weeks) is fine. So you should be OK as I think we are going to start to see very large amount of vaccines coming out the next few weeks. We should be up to 15M+ next week and by mid/late March be at 20M vaccines delivered per week.
Well, they cancelled me 3 days before my 28 day appointment so I really now have 15 days until the 42 day milestone. I keep thinking about what I did wrong and, as far as I can tell, I trusted that my appointment meant that I would have a second dose reserved for me. I mean, nobody would give me an appointment if they didn't have the dose, right? If they would do that, why aren't all pharmacies making appointments going forward? My advice to everyone now is to make as many appointments as you can because nobody is obligated to hold up their end. I used to be naïve and thought that approach prevents worthy people from making needed appointments. What a sap! I now know that it's everyone for themselves and such idealism has no place. I can't imagine how it will be when the general populace enters the system. Maybe there will be sufficient vaccine by then but otherwise, it'll be like the Wild West.

Sorry if this has been posted/discussed, but I saw where there is new variant in NYC and possibly scattered throughout the Northeast that appears to be resistant to not only our natural immunity but the vaccines. Could be a major problem. I think the study of this was done at Columbia University.

Sorry if this has been posted/discussed, but I saw where there is new variant in NYC and possibly scattered throughout the Northeast that appears to be resistant to not only our natural immunity but the vaccines. Could be a major problem. I think the study of this was done at Columbia University.

Link?

I found this: https://www.mediaite.com/news/new-c...-1-out-of-8-infections-tracked-by-scientists/

"The results are preliminary — neither study has been peer-reviewed, and one has not been made public — but scientists say that vaccines could be less effective against the mutation, and that it is spreading fast."

Sensationalism in the news again?

ADVERTISEMENT