ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA COVID-19 Vaccination Updates

Got my J&J shot today at the Atlantic City mega site. Smooth operation, very quick and easy. I was surprised they didn't check ID at all, but no questions asked about "eligibility" so for anyone concerned about that, I wouldn't be. (I'm an IT essential worker with paperwork so I do classify but wasn't willing to try and skip over those who need it more) There's tons of openings there so just schedule it (even as early as today) and you should be fine. ... now to see if I get any side effects...

Got my J&J shot today at the Atlantic City mega site. Smooth operation, very quick and easy. I was surprised they didn't check ID at all, but no questions asked about "eligibility" so for anyone concerned about that, I wouldn't be. (I'm an IT essential worker with paperwork so I do classify but wasn't willing to try and skip over those who need it more) There's tons of openings there so just schedule it (even as early as today) and you should be fine. ... now to see if I get any side effects...

it is strange that South Jersey is awash in vaccine with huge amounts of open appointments but somebody on last week and North Jersey having difficult finding them. Same thing in PA where the Philly collar counties are struggling yet many other places in the state have open appointments. Appears to be very regional as to how easy to get an a vaccine right now. Although if it is true that about all major pharmacies are now getting allocated vaccines due to the large supply coming out weekly, even those places that are hard to get a vaccine should start to ease up some.

Not even close. A lot of it depends on where you are in the Commonwealth. In the suburban counties of Philadelphia, less than half of the 1A individuals have been vaccinated as of Friday. And while scores of SE PA people have trekked to Lancaster Co or Lehigh Co to get the shots, an even larger number of folks from SE PA do not want to be driving that far to get their shot(s). The State has indicated that it will not allow counties to start vaccinating other categories until all of 1A were vaccinated. (Though there is some question about how they can enforce this, other than decreasing shipments to counties that violate the policy.)

Well Tom, I’m taking the W on this one. On 3/21 I predicted PA would open vaccines to everyone “soon.” Three weeks later and that’s pretty much what’s happening.

Link? Wolf says everyone that wants one will have at least one shot by mid May. That's not a scheduled appointment in June or later.

Read it in a newspaper, you know, those things that us dinosaurs read. I read them because they go deeper than silly Twitter or social media headline services. The headlines and first two paragraphs of just about every story is the quote from some publicist/speech writer trying to paint their desired picture. Need to read all the way to the very end and you will often mine the truth that they bury in the lead.

Also, need to understand political lingo. Your link says their ‘goal’ is to have everyone with first shot by mid May. That’s 30 days or so. Really believe they are gonna get there?

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
it is strange that South Jersey is awash in vaccine with huge amounts of open appointments but somebody on last week and North Jersey having difficult finding them. Same thing in PA where the Philly collar counties are struggling yet many other places in the state have open appointments. Appears to be very regional as to how easy to get an a vaccine right now. Although if it is true that about all major pharmacies are now getting allocated vaccines due to the large supply coming out weekly, even those places that are hard to get a vaccine should start to ease up some.
I checked a few websites this afternoon and I'm seeing appointments opening up at Rite Aid's where there were none in the past in SE PA. Looks like supply may be loosening up some.

Also, need to understand political lingo. Your link says their ‘goal’ is to have everyone with first shot by mid May. That’s 30 days or so. Really believe they are gonna get there?
Yes I do. I know there's some issues in the Philly burbs but as far as here in the Northeast part of the state pretty much everyone I know that wants one can get one.

Reactions: TheGLOV
PA must be close to opening the vaccines to everyone.

^^ You on 3/21 ^^

Not even close.

^^ My response on 3/22 ^^
Well Tom, I’m taking the W on this one. On 3/21 I predicted PA would open vaccines to everyone “soon.” Three weeks later and that’s pretty much what’s happening.

I hardly think that 3 weeks later qualifies as a W for you. 21 days ago, PA was not close to opening the vaccine to everyone.

Two things (perhaps three) occurred that enabled them to open things up earlier than they expected. One, they received a flood of J&J vaccines, and that helped move the process along. Two, before the J&J flood occurred, PA boosted their supplies to the suburban counties of Philadelphia, where the Commonwealth was seriously lagging in terms of getting the population vaccinated. By doing that, they enabled those counties to catch up to levels of vaccination attained in other areas of the state.

Those are the two biggest reasons the Commonwealth announced today that they are opening up vaccinations as of tomorrow to those 16 or above for the Pfizer vaccine, and those 18 or above for the Moderna and the J&J vaccine.

Yes I do. I know there's some issues in the Philly burbs but as far as here in the Northeast part of the state pretty much everyone I know that wants one can get one.
As an example, Clearfield County went down to two sites. One of the sites is a small Community Health Center which was unable to obtain vaccines for the first three weeks of March and now gets one hundred doses per week.
That’s not going to get things done for an area with a large senior population unless a lot of them refuse vaccination.

Reactions: TheGLOV
As an example, Clearfield County went down to two sites. One of the sites is a small Community Health Center which was unable to obtain vaccines for the first three weeks of March and now gets one hundred doses per week.
That’s not going to get things done for an area with a large senior population unless a lot of them refuse vaccination.
When the vaccinations first became available to the public, I made an appointment for my 77 year old mother(who lives in a rural area) with Geisinger. They then determine the site that you will be sent to. It turns out the site was in the next county over and around a 25 minute drive each way and I gladly took her to both appointments. I would have driven an hour each way and not blinked nor would she.

My question to you would be how far of a drive would you consider for the vaccine to be considered readily available to everyone? 10 minutes? 30 minutes? I realize not all elderly have help from children, relatives and friends but what do you consider a reasonable cutoff?

"I do believe that there's access issues, but I do believe we have a large contingency of residents that have basically decided that they are not comfortable getting the vaccine, so I think that might be the case for some of our numbers," said Clinton County Commissioner Angela Harding.

Last edited:
Reactions: hohmadw and TheGLOV
When the vaccinations first became available to the public, I made an appointment for my 77 year old mother(who lives in a rural area) with Geisinger. They then determine the site that you will be sent to. It turns out the site was in the next county over and around a 25 minute drive each way and I gladly took her to both appointments. I would have driven an hour each way and not blinked nor would she.

My question to you would be how far of a drive would you consider for the vaccine to be considered readily available to everyone? 10 minutes? 30 minutes? I realize not all elderly have help from children, relatives and friends but what do you consider a reasonable cutoff?

"I do believe that there's access issues, but I do believe we have a large contingency of residents that have basically decided that they are not comfortable getting the vaccine, so I think that might be the case for some of our numbers," said Clinton County Commissioner Angela Harding.
For most seniors, I would say 30 minutes is about tops. But it often doesn’t matter if there is a place within 30 minutes if it runs out of vaccines two days into the week.
When I hear this Governor using the term “ equity “ for reducing vaccine availability like this, my assumption is that he is playing favorites.

^^ You on 3/21 ^^

I hardly think that 3 weeks later qualifies as a W for you. 21 days ago, PA was not close to opening the vaccine to everyone.

Two things (perhaps three) occurred that enabled them to open things up earlier than they expected. One, they received a flood of J&J vaccines, and that helped move the process along. Two, before the J&J flood occurred, PA boosted their supplies to the suburban counties of Philadelphia, where the Commonwealth was seriously lagging in terms of getting the population vaccinated. By doing that, they enabled those counties to catch up to levels of vaccination attained in other areas of the state.

Those are the two biggest reasons the Commonwealth announced today that they are opening up vaccinations as of tomorrow to those 16 or above for the Pfizer vaccine, and those 18 or above for the Moderna and the J&J vaccine.
Girls, girls, you're both pretty.

Instead of squabbling over which one of you "won," can we all agree that the people of PA who yet haven't been vaccinated are the real winners? Happy to see this happening today and only wish it would have come sooner.

Reactions: Agoodnap
3.6Mshots yesterday so total up to 187.047M with the 7 day rolling average at 3.14M. 78.7% of shots administered is the national average, 35.9% of population with 1+ dose (note this is percent of population that has been given 1 or 2 doses, so total percent that have been pricked by a needle), 21.1% fully vaccinated.
So far, 119 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 72.6 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

Doses delivered is 237.65M compared to yesterday 237.65M. So 0.0M doses delivered yesterday, 29.9M doses delivered for the week. Previous week totals for doses delivered is 28.22M, 23.8, 21.1M, 20.0M, 19.7M,21.2M, 5.1M, 9.96M and , 9.4M.

47,484 positives reported yesterday compared to 47,451 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 68,071

Fatality was 276 compared to 742 yesterday and 299 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 755.

If you are wondering on the low numbers today, 13 states don't report anymore on Sunday data which includes Michigan, North Carolina, Connecticut which have been 3 of the higher states lately.

2.6Mshots yesterday so total up to 189.692M with the 7 day rolling average at 3.21M. 79.8% of shots administered is the national average, 36.4% of population with 1+ dose (note this is percent of population that has been given 1 or 2 doses, so total percent that have been pricked by a needle), 22.3% fully vaccinated.
So far, 121 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 74.1 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

Doses delivered is 237.65M compared to yesterday 237.65M. So 0.0M doses delivered yesterday, 0.0M doses delivered for the week. Previous week totals for doses delivered is 29.9M, 28.22M, 23.8, 21.1M, 20.0M, 19.7M,21.2M, 5.1M, 9.96M and , 9.4M.

56,522 positives reported yesterday compared to 58,027 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 69,926

Fatality was 460 compared to 276 yesterday and 519 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 747.

FDA/CDC recommend J&J pause over blood clots:

you would think the abundance of caution would be to say no WOMEN should get J&J for short term but for men it is fine since all cases were women.

and yes, we have now gone to a society where with respect to Covid, only zero risk is acceptable. As noted, all drugs have side effects that people have lived with literally since drugs were invented and those drugs don't have a side effect of zero risk. caution is good, abundance of caution appears to be over the top in stopping everything as nobody is looking at the other side of the spectrum. How many people are now going to get delayed a covid shot and then get covid with bad side effects due to this. probably statistically more than the 6 in 7 million that have got the blood clotting.

you would think the abundance of caution would be to say no WOMEN should get J&J for short term but for men it is fine since all cases were women.

and yes, we have now gone to a society where with respect to Covid, only zero risk is acceptable. As noted, all drugs have side effects that people have lived with literally since drugs were invented and those drugs don't have a side effect of zero risk. caution is good, abundance of caution appears to be over the top in stopping everything as nobody is looking at the other side of the spectrum. How many people are now going to get delayed a covid shot and then get covid with bad side effects due to this. probably statistically more than the 6 in 7 million that have got the blood clotting.
Give them the shot and a bottle of low dose aspirin and send them on their way.

As far as MI and other places experiencing increased cases, shouldn’t we expect deaths to remain relatively flat or decline if the most vulnerable have been vaxxed ?
Israel has had a lot of success with about 56% of their population vaccinated at this time. But it took some time for the numbers to dramatically drop.

I've been tracking Michigan for a few weeks now. No uptick in total deaths.

A new update comes out on Thursday. It will be interesting to see if the surge in positive test results shows up in the total deaths data.
We are shuffling the chairs yet again.

14 days to flatten the curve.
became:
look at the hospitalizations and deaths.
which is now:
strictly based on cases.

What is next?

As far as MI and other places experiencing increased cases, shouldn’t we expect deaths to remain relatively flat or decline if the most vulnerable have been vaxxed ?
Israel has had a lot of success with about 56% of their population vaccinated at this time. But it took some time for the numbers to dramatically drop.

yes, fatality should really not change due to nearly all risk people being vaccinated. The Michigan numbers have been more level the last two days so hoping that Michigan spike is now leveling off and will start to decline soon. We have seen in the past that these spikes last a few weeks and then go back down and MIchigan is in that timeframe now.

There has to be a political angle to wanting to pause J&J. Otherwise it makes zero sense

100% this is about the CDC being ultra conservative (and as noted above, why) and the politicians content to go along as the longer this goes on, the longer they keep their power (and money) flowing. Look at New York and the NY state legislature trying to strip emergency power from Cuomo and the huge fight that ensued. This is about political power and money at this point with moving goalposts and literally trillions of dollars of your kids and grandkids money on the line to be spent.

yes, fatality should really not change due to nearly all risk people being vaccinated. The Michigan numbers have been more level the last two days so hoping that Michigan spike is now leveling off and will start to decline soon. We have seen in the past that these spikes last a few weeks and then go back down and MIchigan is in that timeframe now.

Then for all intents and purposes, the pandemic is over.

Really, it is as simple as that.

Statistically speaking, if ALL DEATHS are back to normal levels, then that's it.

The anecdotes about "lingering heart issues" (which have all disappeared anyway) are irrelevant.

Then for all intents and purposes, the pandemic is over.

Really, it is as simple as that.

Statistically speaking, if ALL DEATHS are back to normal levels, then that's it.

The anecdotes about "lingering heart issues" (which have all disappeared anyway) are irrelevant.

Assuming the J&J mess doesn't throw the current vaccination rate into mass upheaval, basically in about 6 weeks from now yes. Everybody who wants a vaccine will have had at least one shot, we should be into herd immunity full bore. and the amount of fatality and hospitalizations associated with Covid should be no different than associated with the flu or pneumonia or most other respitory type ailments.

^^ You on 3/21 ^^

Haha. Okay. I said “ PA must be close to opening the vaccines to everyone. My brother signed up on several sites and heard from all of them the past couple of days.” You said “Not even close.”

Yet three weeks later, here we are. If you want to go through all those verbal gyrations to be right, have at it. I’m on vacation and hardly care. I was just messing with you above.

But let’s make sure we shut Michigan down completely, like the CDC director recommended.

But let’s make sure we shut Michigan down completely, like the CDC director recommended.

I still don't understand the reason why the admin is going with the 'go into complete lockdown and shut everything down' narrative versus saying that we are going to push additional FEMA resources to Michigan with more vaccines and do a 2-3 week huge stopgap type of vaccination campaign. It just shows the mentality of where everything is at right now.

I still don't understand the reason why the admin is going with the 'go into complete lockdown and shut everything down' narrative versus saying that we are going to push additional FEMA resources to Michigan with more vaccines and do a 2-3 week huge stopgap type of vaccination campaign. It just shows the mentality of where everything is at right now.

The CDC knows seasonality is playing a huge role, and they want to lock down so when Michigan peaks (and they may have already) they can stick with the narrative that lockdowns work.

Assuming the J&J mess doesn't throw the current vaccination rate into mass upheaval, basically in about 6 weeks from now yes. Everybody who wants a vaccine will have had at least one shot, we should be into herd immunity full bore. and the amount of fatality and hospitalizations associated with Covid should be no different than associated with the flu or pneumonia or most other respitory type ailments.
Well, I just looked at the data for Michigan. Only 35% of the population has been given one shot and only 21% have been fully vaccinated, as of yesterday. When the surge began, it was significantly less.

Unfortunately, I found no data on those 60 years old and up. If it is on a par with the rest of the US, Michigan old folks are about 75% with one dose, and 60% with full vaccination.

Take 15 points off each figure to put it back around when the surge in michigan started.

So, we should see about half as many excess deaths as we would normally expect.

Given how strong this surge in Michigan has been, there should be visible excess deaths. We will see.

Reactions: bison13
What a stupid decision to stop the J&J vaccine temporarily. All this week, I could get ANY of the three shots within a 25 mile radius of my place. Today I checked availability, and there is nothing within 50 miles (Belton TX is the closest with availability). This is going to put a huge choke in the system both with supply and in people's irrational minds. They actually have a better chance of having a hospitalization event caused by driving the 100 miles (50 each way) than any vaccine reaction. Way to go USA!!!! I had my J&J two weeks ago, and have never thought twice. The wife told me the news this morning and told me to be very careful and watch for clotting symptoms. I asked her is she asks our 26 year old daughter, whom has to take BC for an autoimmune issue, if she asks her that every day? People are morans.

Michigan has 75% of its 65+ with at least one dose, among the bottom half of the country

So here's my guess as to how the powers-that-be might be thinking (note: I am not advocating this approach, only speculating on the logic behind it): They don't want to reward poor performance as far as compliance with non-vaccine measures. The total number of those protected across the country with the available vaccine supply is the same regardless of where it is sent. That is, if you ship a million doses to Michigan or keep those million doses wherever they are, a million arms receive the doses, regardless. Rather than shortchange some states (and potentially creating future hotspots there) to send them to Michigan, you stay the course. Just my guess.

Reactions: odshowtime
ADVERTISEMENT