ADVERTISEMENT

US Open

Did they announce an OW for Cadets?
Lilledahl beat reigning WC
Sealy was simply incredible
Kasak and Ryder’s weight were stacked
Tough choice.
I would actually pick Forrest because 55kg was the deepest and toughest bracket for sure plus he beat a returning world medalist in the finals. Lilledahl is a great choice as is Sealey but after Forrest I give it to Ryder. 80kg was the second best weight and Ryder only had 2 close matches. 3-2 against Gabe Arnold and a couple point match against Sinclair. Really really impressive performance by Ryder

Makes for a very target rich circle around Centre County
Also a Wannstadt Wall around some other schools -- fewer people get in.

BTW, if he so chooses, Kasak can move to State College and train with NLWC. He can't do that with VT or Nebraska until signing his National Letter of Intent, unless he has some means of establishing residency there.

• Wow
Reactions: diggerpup
Willie is doing a 2023 rerank this week, will be interesting to see where some of our guys end up (Barr, Davis) and obviously also curious where Kasak ends up.

Willie is doing a 2023 rerank this week, will be interesting to see where some of our guys end up (Barr, Davis) and obviously also curious where Kasak ends up.
T1 Barr, Davis, Nasdeo
T4 Mullen, McGowen, Kasak

Willie can fill in the rest.

79kg? Not 74kg? Wow. Is he hitting the weights?

Over on The Mat, one of the Michigan guys said that Barr weighed in at ~164 before he wrestled Rojas at 171 at State(s).

Would probably rather take a shot at Augustine instead of Facundo as well. 79kg is tough but I think he’s right there. Facundo has shown that in freestyle at least he is the top dog. Will be interesting to see who shows up to challenge him. Hamiti?

Alright Jefe. How good of a recruit would he be? Shapiro type? I'm getting the feeling this kid could be special.
Let's see how he does at Worlds.

He's a consistent AA in HS events and has improved quite a bit this year, such as beating Adams 2x yesterday.

I also think he'll benefit from bigger mats and longer matches in college.

Let's see how he does at Worlds.

He's a consistent AA in HS events and has improved quite a bit this year, such as beating Adams 2x yesterday.

I also think he'll benefit from bigger mats and longer matches in college.
Two minute periods in cadet is absurd. Almost everyone I talk to hates it.

Reactions: bigs22
Looking like he may pull a Levi Haines and forego his senior year to train full time at M2 and maybe NLWC? Smells like a PSU commit is coming soon…. young teammate Nate Desmond has PSU listed as his #1 also. 👀
Kasak is a must grab. The kid reminds me so much of Levi. Great things coming from him in the future. Could be the same path. Makes the world team and then commits to PsU.

Reactions: PatMineo22
That 55kg weight was insane! I would love to see the go’s in the mccort room between Gibson, Forrest, Herring, and Bassett. Also curious to see how much Forrest grows. He is so lanky and super thin. I could see him being in the 150’s fairly soon if he fills out at all. Gibson is super quick but guys with length give him trouble and Jesuroga kind of bullied him.
The other kid I knew nothing about but really impressed me was McEnelly at 92kg. He moves so well for a big guy and is super explosive. His best of 3 series was pretty crazy with points going up all over the place. If you haven’t watched you should make some time and go do it. All 3 matches were fun.

this would be interesting to see. Jtown steel aren’t you near them. You need to check this out for us. I think that Margo is there too. He beat Perry at Powerade.
I have stated this in the past, people say about parents of these kids. I wish growing up I had parents and opportunities like these kids. They were in Vegas at the us open. Then someone cuts on them for having a nicer gym.
Other than the fact they are private school kids, I root for them. Seems like lots of sour grapes towards that group. Someone said Mcort had 10 kids wrestling in Vegas.
Gosh if we went to a Sunday tournament 25 miles from here we were traveling.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
it's really a shame that haines had that fluke hiccup early in the bracket. it would have been a great measuring stick for both him and facundo in the finals. don't think i learned much about either guy.

Reactions: WEAREPSU_LI
it's really a shame that haines had that fluke hiccup early in the bracket. it would have been a great measuring stick for both him and facundo in the finals. don't think i learned much about either guy.
Facundo I think would easily beat Haines in free at 74KG. At least he should. There's a reason why he basically 10-0'd the bracket.

IMO unless he wins world a medal at worlds this summer, I don't think there is much we can extrapolate from Alex this summer. He has shown he is way better at free and can score easily on weaker opponents. He's shown he isn't weak in mat wrestling either. Big question is if he can setup and score TDs on top level opponents in folk. We won't know that until he wrestlers folk in the Fall or unless he's winning a lot of matches at worlds since I imagine that coincides with having good offense.

Well, I got the gif, rather than just the link, to transfer over. My first gif. I'm so proud! Now I just need to remember how I did it :( Edit: I was able to replicate the proper procedures. @82bordeaux look out :cool:
tumblr_ouh48ohO4Y1u85kngo5_500.gifv

Last edited:
this would be interesting to see. Jtown steel aren’t you near them. You need to check this out for us. I think that Margo is there too. He beat Perry at Powerade.
I have stated this in the past, people say about parents of these kids. I wish growing up I had parents and opportunities like these kids. They were in Vegas at the us open. Then someone cuts on them for having a nicer gym.
Other than the fact they are private school kids, I root for them. Seems like lots of sour grapes towards that group. Someone said Mcort had 10 kids wrestling in Vegas.
Gosh if we went to a Sunday tournament 25 miles from here we were traveling.
So your saying kids not recruited and assembled from a handful of different states didn’t jump on planes and travel the nation? Interesting Wonder if they would have pounded all over social media 24/7 every single time they worked out as well had they had social media access … all for education improvement purposes of course. Big sigggh

Your post is hard to understand. I think I agree
Most people who move to a different district from MS to HS have other reasons, & it’s not educational based.
My friend counted over 50 wrestlers at PIAA states who wrestled for a different school district in MS. This is a problem state wide and has been for decades.

ADVERTISEMENT