ADVERTISEMENT

US Open

It sounds like Kasak has it down to 2 schools. Scholarship money is part of the decision.
Also heard that Santoro got upset with Crookham's father at States. His father is relentless on his kid.
Pretty smart move waiting to see the outcome this weekend, after all,Cadets have to pay their own way to Worlds, right? Coincidence??

It sounds like Kasak has it down to 2 schools. Scholarship money is part of the decision.
Also heard that Santoro got upset with Crookham's father at States. His father is relentless on his kid.
What’s your point, that we REALLY dont want him now, knowing this??

What’s your point, that we REALLY dont want him now, knowing this??
I heard this a month ago from a ex high school coach that was familiar with both of those comments. I've always said that the scholarship money and education is part of a majority of high school recruits.
I don't blame a family one bit to look at all the offers.
College is a lot of money.

Last edited:
Get that. I’m also very skeptical of Bo. I’m always concerned when the dad is over the top involved to the point of holding back grades and running a gym in their basement.
Nothing to be skeptical about. He’s a world champion who has literally tech falled 2 different PA HS champs already, beat on like 10 diff PA hs placewinners and also teched 2 NJ hs state champs and an Ohio HS state champ! Lilledhal is a beast and too much for Bo after he moved up 2 weights. Luke is no slouch and fellow world medalist.

Nothing to be skeptical about. He’s a world champion who has literally tech falled 2 different PA HS champs already, beat on like 10 diff PA hs placewinners and also teched 2 NJ hs state champs and an Ohio HS state champ! Lilledhal is a beast and too much for Bo after he moved up 2 weights. Luke is no slouch and fellow world medalist.
Just skeptical the same way I was about someone like Stevo. So good, so young, but crazy parents. Clearly Bo is an absolute talent, but we’ll see how he ends up 5 years from now. I’d be cautious.

My biggest beef with Free is that one lace or wrap can end it. One solution is to limit any one sequence to 6 points max ( or a pin of course). At least that is a start.
Kind of like getting pinned, or turned and held for 4 multiple times in folkstyle--the best wrestlers learn how to avoid that. Name the last time you saw Jordan Boroughs get turned multiple times. Or any of our current/recent medalists. It happens, but for the most part, the truly motivated are able to learn how to avoid it. You may have an argument that a lace, after the first turn, takes considerably less skill to continue to match termination, but it's not typically a freak "gotcha" rule that derails the best guys. I'd be OK in theory w/ subsequent turns with the same hold being 1pt, or maybe a cap, but the devil is always in the details.

Reactions: tikk10
Kind of like getting pinned, or turned and held for 4 multiple times in folkstyle--the best wrestlers learn how to avoid that. Name the last time you saw Jordan Boroughs get turned multiple times. Or any of our current/recent medalists. It happens, but for the most part, the truly motivated are able to learn how to avoid it. You may have an argument that a lace, after the first turn, takes considerably less skill to continue to match termination, but it's not typically a freak "gotcha" rule that derails the best guys. I'd be OK in theory w/ subsequent turns with the same hold being 1pt, or maybe a cap, but the devil is always in the details.
You have a point but I stand by my frustration with a 10 point move. As a comparison how many 10 pointers occur in Free vs pins. Even in Free a pin is the ultimate. There are many very good wrestlers who have been caught in laces, granted most medalist very very few.

That’s fair. And FWIW it’s nothing against Bo, who seems like a nice kid. I’m just always a little skeptical of these phenoms when they’re that young and especially if they wrestle a style that largely relies on physicality.
I'm same way. Personally, I think Jax is best prospect currently wrestling at the compound. Word is, Beaus dad is just "letting him go" weight wise after Cadets so will be interesting to see how he matches up with bigger, stronger kids if he does start moving up. From the Cadet group, I like Jax, Sealy and Kasak most.

and you know this how? hell one kid in high school had a big garage let many kids come and wrestle I am sure this happens all over if they have a room they arent wrestling by themselves!!LOL by the way I wouldnt call it a compound you thInk its like M2??by the way I saw the pics of his basement nice

and you know this how? hell one kid in high school had a big garage let many kids come and wrestle I am sure this happens all over if they have a room they arent wrestling by themselves!!LOL by the way I wouldnt call it a compound you thInk its like M2??by the way I saw the pics of his basement nice
The compound is a business. They make money from it. That's a little different than just having kids roll around at the house.

Yes, but not a full blown “compound”. There is a difference.
I am guilty here, our " compound" doesnt have a name. We actually have two wrestling/Jujitsu rooms. We have a 16x16 mat room in the basement and two mats in the detached garage. The garage has a sauna, hot and cold tubs, and a pretty good sized gym. I have 5 or 6 adults that train 4-5 times a week. Any given day there are a dozen wrestlers either lifting or wrestling. My boys are lifting at 5 am and they get work in on the home mats daily. Probably the best investment I made in the house.

I am guilty here, our " compound" doesnt have a name. We actually have two wrestling/Jujitsu rooms. We have a 16x16 mat room in the basement and two mats in the detached garage. The garage has a sauna, hot and cold tubs, and a pretty good sized gym. I have 5 or 6 adults that train 4-5 times a week. Any given day there are a dozen wrestlers either lifting or wrestling. My boys are lifting at 5 am and they get work in on the home mats daily. Probably the best investment I made in the house.
Just curious, aren't you worried about liability?

Reactions: danoftw
You have a point but I stand by my frustration with a 10 point move. As a comparison how many 10 pointers occur in Free vs pins. Even in Free a pin is the ultimate. There are many very good wrestlers who have been caught in laces, granted most medalist very very few.
I'd be in favor of ankle lace turns being 1 pt each. A wrestler who can't stop 8 in a row deserves to be teched.

Also: laces do not put the opponent in any danger of being pinned. So they shouldn't be worth as much.

I'd be in favor of ankle lace turns being 1 pt each. A wrestler who can't stop 8 in a row deserves to be teched.

Also: laces do not put the opponent in any danger of being pinned. So they shouldn't be worth as much.
just one of many dumb rules in freestyle!

For those who advocate changing college to freestyle, imagine how ridiculously short most duals would be. Except for duals between fairly matched teams (and fairly matched across weights too), you’d be looking at a lot of duals over in about 40-50 minutes real time with like 25 minutes of action.

This is a good time

For those who advocate changing college to freestyle, imagine how ridiculously short most duals would be. Except for duals between fairly matched teams (and fairly matched across weights too), you’d be looking at a lot of duals over in about 40-50 minutes real time with like 25 minutes of action.
I'm not advocating for college freestyle, but that seems like a great argument for it.

With all of the neutral and top stalling today, most duals are probably around 30 min of real action anyway.

Save that extra hour in the stands, spend it at the post-match bar.

Reactions: WEAREPSU_LI
That 55kg weight was insane! I would love to see the go’s in the mccort room between Gibson, Forrest, Herring, and Bassett. Also curious to see how much Forrest grows. He is so lanky and super thin. I could see him being in the 150’s fairly soon if he fills out at all. Gibson is super quick but guys with length give him trouble and Jesuroga kind of bullied him.
The other kid I knew nothing about but really impressed me was McEnelly at 92kg. He moves so well for a big guy and is super explosive. His best of 3 series was pretty crazy with points going up all over the place. If you haven’t watched you should make some time and go do it. All 3 matches were fun.

Reactions: kevin310
My best investment was mounting a bottle-opener at the main entry.

sitting-on-couch-al-bundy.gif

Tyler Kasak 2022 U17 65kg Champion - Potential Recruit Interview, also mentions working out at the Penn State RTC.

I anticipate getting crucified for this since I probably can get this from Google but anyone know the criteria that would allow him to train at the RTC ? I thought there were strict guidelines on who can train at the RTC's ?

I anticipate getting crucified for this since I probably can get this from Google but anyone know the criteria that would allow him to train at the RTC ? I thought there were strict guidelines on who can train at the RTC's ?
Guidelines are age group FS results (USA Wrestling States, Fargo, etc)

Did they announce an OW for Cadets?
Lilledahl beat reigning WC
Sealy was simply incredible
Kasak and Ryder’s weight were stacked
Tough choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT