ADVERTISEMENT

US Open: Who do you want to win, who will win?

It’s moving day with Dustin moving backwards.....+3 after 4.

We’ve got ourselves a competition!

It’s moving day with Dustin moving backwards.....+3 after 4.

We’ve got ourselves a competition!

That's what I mean...moving backwards instead oomeone going out and catching him. The guys that make par will catch him, not going out making birdies. I get it...the US Open wants this...love it once a year, couldn't watch it every week. Some of these pin set ups really are ridiculous. These greens were not built to be 12 or 13...

Reminds me of a monster miniature golf complex I played back in my teen years called Par King. Lots of the usual miniature golf gimmicky holes.

Well, PAR IS KING this week.....156 of the world’s best golfers, not even one under par.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
Reminds me of a monster miniature golf complex I played back in my teen years called Par King. Lots of the usual miniature golf gimmicky holes.

Well, PAR IS KING this week.....156 of the world’s best golfers, not even one under par.

One of the golf supers was on the Golf Channel earlier in the week saying that Shinnecock has barns and greenhouses all over the area holding thousands of tons of sod....apparently they are going to dig up a bunch of the rough to widen the fairways for the members when this carnival is done. I am a 7 handicap, a fairly accomplished player....I couldn't break 100 here i would bet...

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Have they "lost the course"?

To me, it's the US Open. The hardest contest in golf for the year. I'm OK if the greens are like a rock and the rough is miserable.

Certainly got the most of Phil M. today. Love the guy, but I think he experienced a little "putting rage" today.......

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Berger and Finau handled Shinnecock just fine today with 66. All you need is perfection and you can score. You want to win it - go get it. The course isn't giving you a thing. It's the UNITED STATES OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP, not the local hit-and-giggle.

Going to be a fight to the finish tomorrow. Anybody at +7 or better is in it. But only the strong will survive.

Berger and Finau handled Shinnecock just fine today with 66. All you need is perfection and you can score. You want to win it - go get it. The course isn't giving you a thing. It's the UNITED STATES OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP, not the local hit-and-giggle.

Going to be a fight to the finish tomorrow. Anybody at +7 or better is in it. But only the strong will survive.

My friend was there today. He said the change in wind in the afternoon was drastic. Basically Made It a different course

But I love it. US Open winner should be around par IMO

I played in the “Hit and Giggle” today and didn’t fare as well as the guys playing Shinnecock! ;)
BTW - How’s that wheel recovering Foxy?

Would be interesting if the players could pick their tee times tomorrow beginning with the leaders having the first pick and then everyone else picking their tee time in the order they finished today.

I can’t believe the announcers are bending over backwards defending the condition of the course.....even reading parts of a letter from the President of the club this afternoon defending the course’s condition.

I watched the entire telecast today and the greens and many of the pin locations have diminished the level of SKILL while dramatically adding the level of pure blind LUCK.

One par 4 on the back nine.....68 golfers, the closest second shot was 39 feet.

Seeing your footsteps as you walk on a green? That sounds like fun.

Seeing players putt off various greens all day long? I’ll go to my club if I want to watch that!

The course was apparently built on or near Indian burial grounds. Scalping the greens for a US Open seems like a strange club tradition.

I, for one, love a good bloodbath once a year. Other than a few bad pins, I love how the wind and the rough force them to dink and dunk. How often do you see par 5’s that they can’t bomb it there in 2? Par 5’s are instant birdies half the time. 15 and 18 greens were almost unfair though......

Reactions: m.knox
Would be interesting if the players could pick their tee times tomorrow beginning with the leaders having the first pick and then everyone else picking their tee time in the order they finished today.

I can’t believe the announcers are bending over backwards defending the condition of the course.....even reading parts of a letter from the President of the club this afternoon defending the course’s condition.

I watched the entire telecast today and the greens and many of the pin locations have diminished the level of SKILL while dramatically adding the level of pure blind LUCK.

One par 4 on the back nine.....68 golfers, the closest second shot was 39 feet.

Seeing your footsteps as you walk on a green? That sounds like fun.

Seeing players putt off various greens all day long? I’ll go to my club if I want to watch that!

The course was apparently built on or near Indian burial grounds. Scalping the greens for a US Open seems like a strange club tradition.

Do they play different courses than eachother? Where does the luck come in?

LdN

Have they "lost the course"?

To me, it's the US Open. The hardest contest in golf for the year. I'm OK if the greens are like a rock and the rough is miserable.

Certainly got the most of Phil M. today. Love the guy, but I think he experienced a little "putting rage" today.......
Phil is an ahole. Whined about the rough at Oakmont in 2007. He's 48, going on 3. Just a little spoiled brat, who was never forced to grow up. Hope he got a pacifier and a rattle for his birthday.

Hogan had an incredible career, no doubt about it. One incredible fact, that you probably know, but most do not, is that Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan were born in the same year (1912) in Texas - Hogan turned touring-Pro in 1930, while Nelson didn't turn Pro until 2 seasons later in 1932. Nelson retired in the prime of his career in 1946 (Hogan retired in 1971), so Hogan and Nelson careers crossed for 13 seasons from the 1932 season through the 1942 season and the 1945 and 1946 season (Hogan served in the National Guard in 1943 and 1944 I believe): however, there were no major tournaments held in 1943, 1944 or 1945 except the 1944 & 1945 PGA Championship. Anyway, Byron Nelson was far-and-away the most dominant player on the Tour during the years the two players professional careers crossed 1932-1946. During this period, Nelson recorded 5 Majors during the span (the 1937 Masters, 1939 US Open, 1940 PGA, 1942 Masters and 1945 PGA) - pretty impressive considering The Masters only began in 1935, he didn't participate in PGA until 1937 Season (ditto Hogan) and Nelson only played in one British Open (1937) his entire career (again, ditto Hogan during this period - Hogan played in his first, and only, British Open in 1953 which he coincidentally won). IOW, Nelson recorded his 5 Major victories despite only making 27 Major starts prior to his retirement. During this identical span, Hogan recorded 1 Major victory, the 1946 PGA Championship, literally a couple months before Nelson formally announced his retirement from the tour. Over the 5 years directly following Nelson's retirement (1947 thru 1951 seasons), Hogan recorded 5 majors. Over the 7 year period directly following Nelson's retirement (1947 thru 1953 seasons), Hogan recorded 8 of his 9 Majors (the other being the 1946 PGA in the final year both men competed on tour). If Nelson doesn't retire, it's very doubtful that Hogan would have been that dominant during the 7-year span following Nelson's retirement.

No picking Nits here, just a couple of other observations.

Sam Snead was also born in 1912. They were (Hogan, Snead, Nelson) the Big 3 in the late 30s and 40s.

Hogan was Army Air Corps but did not see action and was mustered out before the war was over. Hogan retired in 1961. Would have been interesting to see what Nelson could have done if he had stayed with it.

Wow, no surprise Poulter is killing the USGA and and the obnoxious fans at Shinnecock. Even I have to say the morons on every shot shouting Baba Booey, Mashed Potatoes, Get in the Hole and Dilly Dilly are clowns. It was funny 10 years ago....maybe

https://twitter.com/IanJamesPoulter

Phil is an ahole. Whined about the rough at Oakmont in 2007. He's 48, going on 3. Just a little spoiled brat, who was never forced to grow up. Hope he got a pacifier and a rattle for his birthday.
Don’t mince words how do you really feel.

Reactions: m.knox
Just read where Finau and Berger were 1000-1 entering round 3. Hope someone put a 20 spot on either of these two.

Wow, no surprise Poulter is killing the USGA and and the obnoxious fans at Shinnecock. Even I have to say the morons on every shot shouting Baba Booey, Mashed Potatoes, Get in the Hole and Dilly Dilly are clowns. It was funny 10 years ago....maybe

https://twitter.com/IanJamesPoulter

Relayer, I agree with you 100% on the loudmouths, wish they were tossed. I don’t ever recall it being as loud and as widespread as it has been this year.

The Phoenix Open’s (?) “designated” par 3 is the time and place, not the US Open.

The architecture of the greens make them better suited for a 10 at most on the stimp, not the lightning numbers the USGA try to reach. Koepka hit a shot on 15 that under normal greens, stops at 8-10 ft and he has a great birdie look. Instead, it falls off the green into a bunker. He makes bogey. As Mike Davis said, good shots weren’t rewarded, they were penalized. I’m fine with it being a stern test. Thursday and Friday were fine setups. Saturday, the USGA failed to have a fallback if the winds came up, which given the location, was easy to guess might happen.

Same thing happened at Oakmont a few years back. REmember when DJ's ball moved on the green. The reasoning for that was simple...those greens weren't meant to be mowed to a 13....no way that ball doesn't move. And lets not forget how the USGA made Chambers Bay look....it was like watching a golf tournament from Mars. Not being prepared for the wind on an oceanside course is inexcusable.

The architecture of the greens make them better suited for a 10 at most on the stimp, not the lightning numbers the USGA try to reach. Koepka hit a shot on 15 that under normal greens, stops at 8-10 ft and he has a great birdie look. Instead, it falls off the green into a bunker. He makes bogey. As Mike Davis said, good shots weren’t rewarded, they were penalized. I’m fine with it being a stern test. Thursday and Friday were fine setups. Saturday, the USGA failed to have a fallback if the winds came up, which given the location, was easy to guess might happen.

They just needed to water the damn greens Friday night. Heck, the grass looks dormant............ Putting on baked clay.

Two best friends are going to decide this - in the same group. Koepka and DJ.

Last edited:
Congrats to Brooks. Cardinal Newman (WPB) grad. He stared it down and never flinched. DJ needs to work on his concentration on the greens. Seems he's out to lunch on every other one.

To the usga - stop it. You ended your best event w/ brown greens. You can control this from the equipment end, or you can continue to end your championships on brown greens. Do the right thing. Amateurs use aluminum bats in baseball. Get some different equipment standards for these guys so they can play 7,000 yard golf courses again. Please.

Koepka in press conference on playing w/ best friend DJ: "We didn't talk all day. I may have said something on #3. He'll be the first guy I call when I get home."

Focus

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT