ADVERTISEMENT

US Open: Who do you want to win, who will win?

As always, I'll be rooting for Matt Kuchar, who is off to a great start. I think Fowler finally wins one though.

The leaderboard is a sight to behold. The players are absolutely getting thrashed out there. It's a beautiful thing.

It's not the U.S. Open unless the blood and gore is ankle-deep.

Any mope can play well at the Las Vegas Invitational with the winning score at -25-under. Let's see who has the stones to keep grinding when the world is falling apart around them.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
the Cinderella boy
is

That wind was no joke today. I watched Matt Kuchar hit a tee shot on 12 that started right and then took a hard right turn thanks to the wind and 1-hopped the fence for a ground-rule double. Welcome back to the US Open, we missed ya last year.

The idea that Fox has to stay with this featured group is absurd. Show the players that have a chance. Watching a totally lame McIlroy hit every shot at +14 is a waste of time. Spieth too, a waste of time.

The leaderboard is a sight to behold. The players are absolutely getting thrashed out there. It's a beautiful thing.

It's not the U.S. Open unless the blood and gore is ankle-deep.

Any mope can play well at the Las Vegas Invitational with the winning score at -25-under. Let's see who has the stones to keep grinding when the world is falling apart around them.

No doubt, there's only a handful of people that even have a remote chance of doing what Dustin Johnson is doing to Shinnicock under these conditions...and even then they'd have to play the round of their life and get some fortunate breaks. Johnson being 4-under in these conditions at this course (which is extremely difficult under perfect conditions) is a testament to just how talented he is relative to the field... If he just keeps playing his game (i.e., using his power and accuracy to hit virtually every green in regulation) he probably wins going away because hitting greens in regulation is no simple feat at Shinnicock (again, even under benign conditions - let alone these conditions), so the players whose greatest strength is putting, not ball-stricking (i.e., diametric opposite of Johnson) are neutralized cuz they're having to 1-putt and scramble just to save pars and bogeys!

Tiger shoots +10...but plays 34 of the holes in +2. He plays holes #1 and #2 in +8 over a 2 day period! Just bogey those boys and you are in the hunt. Never, ever, did I think I would see that.

No doubt, there's only a handful of people that even have a remote chance of doing what Dustin Johnson is doing to Shinnicock under these conditions...and even then they'd have to play the round of their life and get some fortunate breaks. Johnson being 4-under in these conditions at this course (which is extremely difficult under perfect conditions) is a testament to just how talented he is relative to the field... If he just keeps playing his game (i.e., using his power and accuracy to hit virtually every green in regulation) he probably wins going away because hitting greens in regulation is no simple feat at Shinnicock (again, even under benign conditions - let alone these conditions), so the players whose greatest strength is putting, not ball-stricking (i.e., diametric opposite of Johnson) are neutralized cuz they're having to 1-putt and scramble just to save pars and bogeys!
Johnson is playing great without a doubt. Still, I would not be surprised to see him throw in a 73 tomorrow or Sunday. Even if he does, if he's even on the other day it might still be enough. 69-67 in ANY US Open is fantastic, let alone on this course.

I just checked the leaderboard - Poulter is smoking hot today with two holes left and is a shot behind at -3. Ian showing he still has gas in the tank.

I don't know if it's Fox or what's left of the field, but this tournament (to me) is boring. I love crowned greens, but I'm bored. I'd rather see Pinehurst and Donald Ross. The USGA should fix their equipment and golf ball standards instead of ginning up bogeys.

Saw this on FB. Truth.

35397012_10155958395721284_2450804958681890816_n.jpg

35298069_10155958395706284_5534898133579857920_n.jpg

35268975_10155958398901284_696203216450224128_n.jpg

35306075_10155958398846284_710887636620804096_n.jpg

35422360_10155958398831284_7275199434307141632_n.jpg

Brandel Chamblee on The Golf Channel’s “Live from the US Open” tonight said that if Tiger Woods wins the US Open it would be the greatest comeback not just in golf, but in all of sports, even greater than Ben Hogan’s comeback in 1950 from a near fatal head on collision with a bus in 1949. His reasoning, because Hogan only had broken bones and broken bones heal (the bones broken included his left collarbone, a double fraction of his pelvis, a broken ankle and a chipped rib).

May I remind Mr. Chamblee that due to his accident Ben Hogan had blood clots had formed in his legs, one of which threaten his life by travelling to his lung. He received several blood transfusions, and then had emergency abdominal surgery performed to tie off the inferior vena cava, an operation that caused him to lose much of his circulation in his legs. He dropped nearly 20 pounds before he was released from the hospital. For the rest of his life he suffered from poor circulation in his legs and pain whenever he walked. Prior to every round he had to soak his legs in a warm bath and wrap them with elastic bandages from ankle to hip.

May I also remind Mr. Chamblee that due to his accident Ben Hogan incurred damage to his left eye that worsened, as he grew older.

May I also remind Mr. Chamblee that moments before the bus collided with their automobile, Ben stretched across the passenger seat to protect his wife, saving her from significant injury and saving his life as the steering column was rammed into the back of his seat. His act of unselfish valor made him a hero, idolized by men and women throughout the world. I do not want to get into the reasons and the speculations why Tiger Woods had to leave the tour and is now experiencing a comeback, but rest assured it would not be made into a movie. Ben Hogan’s comeback was immortalized in a Sidney Lanfield’s movie “Follow the Sun”

May I also remind Mr. Chamblee that Ben Hogan went on to win not just one major, but six majors and five other PGA tournaments.

Mr. Chamblee, The Golf Channel’s resident scholar and critic, needs to bone up on his golf history.

Last edited:
Saw this on FB. Truth.

Brandel Chamblee on The Golf Channel’s “Live from the US Open” tonight said that if Tiger Woods wins the US Open it would be the greatest comeback not just in golf, but in all of sports, even greater than Ben Hogan’s comeback in 1950 from a near fatal head on collision with a bus in 1949. His reasoning, because Hogan only had broken bones and broken bones heal (the bones broken included his left collarbone, a double fraction of his pelvis, a broken ankle and a chipped rib).

May I remind Mr. Chamblee that due to his accident Ben Hogan had blood clots had formed in his legs, one of which threaten his life by travelling to his lung. He received several blood transfusions, and then had emergency abdominal surgery performed to tie off the inferior vena cava, an operation that caused him to lose much of his circulation in his legs. He dropped nearly 20 pounds before he was released from the hospital. For the rest of his life he suffered from poor circulation in his legs and pain whenever he walked. Prior to every round he had to soak his legs in a warm bath and wrap them with elastic bandages from ankle to hip.

May I also remind Mr. Chamblee that due to his accident Ben Hogan incurred damage to his left eye that worsened, as he grew older.

May I also remind Mr. Chamblee that moments before the bus collided with their automobile, Ben stretched across the passenger seat to protect his wife, saving her from significant injury and saving his life as the steering column was rammed into the back of his seat. His act of unselfish valor made him a hero, idolized by men and women throughout the world. I do not want to get into the reasons and the speculations why Tiger Woods had to leave the tour and is now experiencing a comeback, but rest assured it would not be made into a movie. Ben Hogan’s comeback was immortalized in a Sidney Lanfield’s movie “Follow the Sun”

May I also remind Mr. Chamblee that Ben Hogan went on to win not just one major, but six majors and five other PGA tournaments.

Mr. Chamblee, The Golf Channel’s resident scholar and critic, needs to bone up on his golf history.

Chamblee is a clown.

Johnson is playing great without a doubt. Still, I would not be surprised to see him throw in a 73 tomorrow or Sunday. Even if he does, if he's even on the other day it might still be enough. 69-67 in ANY US Open is fantastic, let alone on this course.

I just checked the leaderboard - Poulter is smoking hot today with two holes left and is a shot behind at -3. Ian showing he still has gas in the tank.

GREAT JINX JOB!

Finishes with a triple, then a bogey, so goes from -3 to +1!

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II

But Poulter couldn't bring it home as he played the last 2 holes +4. As well as Poulter has played the last 2 days - he is +1, 5 shots behind Johnson after going into today tied for the lead with Johnson at -1 after shutting 69 yesterday. Again, it just goes to show how incredible Johnson's -4 standing is through 36 holes especially given that he posted his 67 today in the morning when conditions were brutal and chewing & spitting out players - Poulter posted all his birdies on his 2nd 9 today, late in the afternoon when conditions were benign...and he still couldn't bring it home.

Saw this on FB. Truth.

Hogan had an incredible career, no doubt about it. One incredible fact, that you probably know, but most do not, is that Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan were born in the same year (1912) in Texas - Hogan turned touring-Pro in 1930, while Nelson didn't turn Pro until 2 seasons later in 1932. Nelson retired in the prime of his career in 1946 (Hogan retired in 1971), so Hogan and Nelson careers crossed for 13 seasons from the 1932 season through the 1942 season and the 1945 and 1946 season (Hogan served in the National Guard in 1943 and 1944 I believe): however, there were no major tournaments held in 1943, 1944 or 1945 except the 1944 & 1945 PGA Championship. Anyway, Byron Nelson was far-and-away the most dominant player on the Tour during the years the two players professional careers crossed 1932-1946. During this period, Nelson recorded 5 Majors during the span (the 1937 Masters, 1939 US Open, 1940 PGA, 1942 Masters and 1945 PGA) - pretty impressive considering The Masters only began in 1935, he didn't participate in PGA until 1937 Season (ditto Hogan) and Nelson only played in one British Open (1937) his entire career (again, ditto Hogan during this period - Hogan played in his first, and only, British Open in 1953 which he coincidentally won). IOW, Nelson recorded his 5 Major victories despite only making 27 Major starts prior to his retirement. During this identical span, Hogan recorded 1 Major victory, the 1946 PGA Championship, literally a couple months before Nelson formally announced his retirement from the tour. Over the 5 years directly following Nelson's retirement (1947 thru 1951 seasons), Hogan recorded 5 majors. Over the 7 year period directly following Nelson's retirement (1947 thru 1953 seasons), Hogan recorded 8 of his 9 Majors (the other being the 1946 PGA in the final year both men competed on tour). If Nelson doesn't retire, it's very doubtful that Hogan would have been that dominant during the 7-year span following Nelson's retirement.

Reactions: MtNittany
Tiger shoots +10...but plays 34 of the holes in +2. He plays holes #1 and #2 in +8 over a 2 day period! Just bogey those boys and you are in the hunt. Never, ever, did I think I would see that.

And both of those errors on the 1st hole came from the middle of the fairway. I thinkbwe need to turn down the hype machine a bit. All the media has done in the first 2 majors is practically hand Tiger the win and he has vastly underwhelmed.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
Like a broken record I would like to see Phil win. If not Fowler would be my second choice, although my wife is pissed he isn't single any more.

Who knows, there's 15-20 guys who can win. Would like an American to win as usual, but think Rose and Rory will compete. I will pick Jason Day. I like the early tee times of all 3 because of the rain today.

Darkhorse: Kyle Stanley has all the stats this year to say he can compete. We'll see.

DJ, so we can see Paulina walk up the steps with the camera man shooting from behind.

Reactions: MtNittany
The good news for DJ is he got the bad draw with conditions and still leads by 4. The players who went morning-afternoon were 2.5 shots better than those who played the afternoon-morning wave.

Hogan had an incredible career, no doubt about it. One incredible fact, that you probably know, but most do not, is that Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan were born in the same year (1912) in Texas - Hogan turned touring-Pro in 1930, while Nelson didn't turn Pro until 2 seasons later in 1932. Nelson retired in the prime of his career in 1946 (Hogan retired in 1971), so Hogan and Nelson careers crossed for 13 seasons from the 1932 season through the 1942 season and the 1945 and 1946 season (Hogan served in the National Guard in 1943 and 1944 I believe): however, there were no major tournaments held in 1943, 1944 or 1945 except the 1944 & 1945 PGA Championship. Anyway, Byron Nelson was far-and-away the most dominant player on the Tour during the years the two players professional careers crossed 1932-1946. During this period, Nelson recorded 5 Majors during the span (the 1937 Masters, 1939 US Open, 1940 PGA, 1942 Masters and 1945 PGA) - pretty impressive considering The Masters only began in 1935, he didn't participate in PGA until 1937 Season (ditto Hogan) and Nelson only played in one British Open (1937) his entire career (again, ditto Hogan during this period - Hogan played in his first, and only, British Open in 1953 which he coincidentally won). IOW, Nelson recorded his 5 Major victories despite only making 27 Major starts prior to his retirement. During this identical span, Hogan recorded 1 Major victory, the 1946 PGA Championship, literally a couple months before Nelson formally announced his retirement from the tour. Over the 5 years directly following Nelson's retirement (1947 thru 1951 seasons), Hogan recorded 5 majors. Over the 7 year period directly following Nelson's retirement (1947 thru 1953 seasons), Hogan recorded 8 of his 9 Majors (the other being the 1946 PGA in the final year both men competed on tour). If Nelson doesn't retire, it's very doubtful that Hogan would have been that dominant during the 7-year span following Nelson's retirement.
Gold Dust Twins:

884dea8d570c6e0e5dbbeeed1fa74946.jpg

The good news for DJ is he got the bad draw with conditions and still leads by 4. The players who went morning-afternoon were 2.5 shots better than those who played the afternoon-morning wave.
...and that's the bad news for the rest of the field as well. There are many (me included) who think this is basically over, but won't say it. Anything can happen though.

Reactions: Relayer
Remember the Pebble Beach debacle?

Sometimes a bad shot doesn’t cost you or costs you a shot.....but sometimes a bad shot can cost 2-3 shots.
I would like like to see DJ win but a competitive tournament is always better entertainment. We’ll see. DJ also had a less famous “debacle” in the British (Open Championship) several years back. It was the year D Clarke won, I believe. He blew one about 100 yards OB on the back nine (13?). It can happen to anyone at anytime.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I actually don't like to watch tournaments where someone can't make a charge by making eagles or birdies, you have to have someone screw up in front and come back to the field. Don't get me wrong....I love the US Open...but I am glad its only once a year. This course just isn't set up to have someone go out and "get it." It's set up to make par be an awesome score.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT