ADVERTISEMENT

US Open: Who do you want to win, who will win?

Relayer

Jun 18, 2001
Like a broken record I would like to see Phil win. If not Fowler would be my second choice, although my wife is pissed he isn't single any more.

Who knows, there's 15-20 guys who can win. Would like an American to win as usual, but think Rose and Rory will compete. I will pick Jason Day. I like the early tee times of all 3 because of the rain today.

Darkhorse: Kyle Stanley has all the stats this year to say he can compete. We'll see.

I’d like it to be Spieth, but his putting needs to improve this week to give him a chance.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Tiger win just to get him the additional major and to create high drama.

But I’ll bet it’s Dustin Johnson because of his distance and overall game.

Last edited:
Well, I would like see Phil win. No lefty has ever won the US Open.
He would be the oldest player to win a Major. He would cement his legacy
by winning the Grand Slam and his birthday is Saturday. There is that. The pool I am in is pretty interesing. There are 6 flight of about 20 golfers in each flight. The first flight is the top golfers, while flight #6 is players you've never heard of before. You have to pick one player from each fight to make your 6 man team. Your players with the best 4 scores on your team count towards the team total. Team with the lowest score wins. Flight #1 I picked DJ.(duh).
Flight #6 I picked. Cole Miller. For those that don't know who he is he is a Penn State graduate. He made the cut last week in a Canadian tournament and had to qualify to play in the Open. That ain't too shabby.

Last edited:
I want Tiger as a representative for guys like me who are tragically flawed. So that we can have one shining moment.

But I could see McElroy win.

Did your wife plan on leaving you for him?

Tragically flawed? In that case I am rooting for Beef. That dude would be a riot out on the town.

My wife doesn't realize how good she has it. Allison Stokke has nothing on her :D

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
by winning the Grand Slam and his birthday is Saturday. There is that. The pool I am in is pretty interesing. There are 6 flight of about 20 golfers in each flight. The first flight is the top golfers, while flight #6 is players you've never heard of before. You have to pick one player from each fight to make your 6 man team. Your players with the best 4 scores on your team count towards the team total. Team with the lowest score wins. Flight #1 I picked DJ.(duh).
Flight #6 I picked. Cole Miller. For those that don't know who he is he is a Penn State graduate. He made the cut last week in a Candian tournament and had to qualify to play in the Open. That ain't too shabby.

Regarding Miller , my old PSU roommate texted me yesterday (he’s a former PSU golfer also) that Miller drove the green on #1 in a practice round this week. It’s over 400 yards

Flight #6 I picked. Cole Miller. For those that don't know who he is he is a Penn State graduate. He made the cut last week in a Canadian tournament and had to qualify to play in the Open. That ain't too shabby.
Not to pick nits but Phil will not be the oldest to win a major if he hoists the trophy Sunday . He will fall a couple of months short of Julius Boros for that record.

My sentimental picks are Phil and Rickie. If I was wagering, Jason Day.

Like a broken record I would like to see Phil win. If not Fowler would be my second choice, although my wife is pissed he isn't single any more.

Who knows, there's 15-20 guys who can win. Would like an American to win as usual, but think Rose and Rory will compete. I will pick Jason Day. I like the early tee times of all 3 because of the rain today.

Darkhorse: Kyle Stanley has all the stats this year to say he can compete. We'll see.
Tiger Woods. Seeing the doughy soft country clubbers here lose their minds over it, priceless.
Jason Day for the win. My son in law follows him.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell

Anyone but scumbag Tiger and Phoney Phil. Phil's probably still complaining about the rough at Oakmont, when he reinjured his wrist in '07.

Rooting for Speith. He is a class act.

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan

I’d like to see Phil get the career grand slam.

Fowler would be high on my list. For a guy who has come up short and wears that dreaded “Best golfer to never win a major,” he is very gracious and supportive of those who do win.

After that, I’d like Justin Thomas or Jordan Spieth.

I think it will be Justin Rose, however.

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan
I’d like to see Phil get the career grand slam.

Fowler would be high on my list. For a guy who has come up short and wears that dreaded “Best golfer to never win a major,” he is very gracious and supportive of those who do win.

After that, I’d like Justin Thomas or Jordan Spieth.

I think it will be Justin Rose, however.

I hate Justin Rose for some reason. However my boss is a member at Aronomink. And he said all the staff there said Rose was the nicest guy at the tournament they held

Rooting for Phil but he has no shot. My pick - Patrick Reed. Bad Johnson is playing great but it seems like nobody ever wins two weeks in a row any more.

I hate Justin Rose for some reason. However my boss is a member at Aronomink. And he said all the staff there said Rose was the nicest guy at the tournament they held

Looking forward to Aronomink and the BMW Championship in September. Great track for the Fed Ex Cup. I caddied there for several years in the 90's.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
I caddied there for several years in the 90's.

What was their policy on bare feet?

CnB3yPqXYAAvDlJ.jpg

He comes across as a very decent person. I’m glad to hear it is true. I’m not rooting for him. I just think he has been playing consistently well.

Aronomink hosted a PGA didn't they?

Yes, 1963 when Gary Player won. They were scheduled to host the '93 PGA and realized they had no minority members, so withdrew from consideration. At the time, did a minority even apply for membership?

BTW, it's Aromimink, I screwed that spelling up :)

Yes, 1963 when Gary Player won. They were scheduled to host the '93 PGA and realized they had no minority members, so withdrew from consideration. At the time, did a minority even apply for membership?

They are hosting the 2027 PGA Championship.... so I’d assume so

Edit: misread your post.

They are hosting the 2027 PGA Championship.... so I’d assume so

Edit: misread your post.

No biggie, past history. Since then they've hosted the 1997 US Junior Am with Jason Allred winning. Notables in the field included Hunter Mahan, Adam Scott and Trevor Immelman. I carried the bad for a kid from Fort Wayne who got through stroke play, but bowed out in match play.

They have also hosted the '03 Senior PGA Championship and the AT&T National in 2010 and 2011 when Congressional was hosting the Open. Winners were Justin Rose and Nick Watney.

No biggie, past history. Since then they've hosted the 1997 US Junior Am with Jason Allred winning. Notables in the field included Hunter Mahan, Adam Scott and Trevor Immelman. I carried the bad for a kid from Fort Wayne who got through stroke play, but bowed out in match play.

They have also hosted the '03 Senior PGA Championship and the AT&T National in 2010 and 2011 when Congressional was hosting the Open. Winners were Justin Rose and Nick Watney.

Off topic but how were caddies assigned if you weren't already hooked up with a player? That seemed like such a cool job to me.

I honestly think there are a lot more than 15-20 guys that could win it..... it will a fun four days to watch.

I’m pulling for Dr Phil to win it for his slam or Tiger to win it simply to show up all the know-it-alls that have failed to give him any credit and recognize that his game has continued to come back over the last six months.

So the 156 get cut to the low 60 plus ties on Fri.

Not a fan, but if a tie on Sun they go play 17 & 18, low total wins. Thereafter, sudden death. Wish they would play 18 on Mon.

Interestingly, my club’s head greenskeeper is back not watching but working at the course all week. Will be fun to hear his stories when he returns.

I honestly think there are a lot more than 15-20 guys that could win it..... it will a fun four days to watch.

I’m pulling for Dr Phil to win it for his slam or Tiger to win it simply to show up all the know-it-alls that have failed to give him any credit and recognize that his game has continued to come back over the last six months.

So the 156 get cut to the low 60 plus ties on Fri.

Not a fan, but if a tie on Sun they go play 17 & 18, low total wins. Thereafter, sudden death. Wish they would play 18 on Mon.

Interestingly, my club’s head greenskeeper is back not watching but working at the course all week. Will be fun to hear his stories when he returns.

The prevailing thought is everyone is already there on Sunday, let's crown a champion. Can be difficult to bring everyone back on Monday: fans, media, tv and viewers, volunteers? Don't have a problem with it.

My pick...Fowler......one of my Daughters spent her undergrad days at OKState and knew him. I had several chances to see him play at the schools home course in Stillwater OK. He is a good guy....was excellent player then and now.

Off topic but how were caddies assigned if you weren't already hooked up with a player? That seemed like such a cool job to me.

I showed up at the US Junior Am and my caddy master introduced me to this great kid and his father was totally cool. It was an awesome experience.

The following year Aronimink hosted the Philadelphia Open in '98. I was "stuck" with Gene Fieger from Overbrook Golf Club for 36 holes. He was obnoxious, but a hell of a player, qualified a couple times for the US Open. Finished second and he wrote me a check after in the parking lot in his sportscar for $400. That's when he asked me what my name was....lol...Not too bad for a single bag watching great golf.

Thankfully my caddying duties turned to Lookaway Golf Club in Bucks County shortly after graduating from WCU in 1999. It was a pleasure to caddy for PSU grad Greg Pieczynski at Lookaway in 2008 when he won the Philadelphia Open. Hope the kid is doing well, he was flawless on that day.

The prevailing thought is everyone is already there on Sunday, let's crown a champion. Can be difficult to bring everyone back on Monday: fans, media, tv and viewers, volunteers? Don't have a problem with it.

I understand everything you said.....guess I just like the “good old days”.

It seems the playoffs are all different. Here it’s two holes aggregate, isn’t The Open three holes aggregate?

Some playoffs start at 18, then replay 18. Some start at 18, then rotate to a different hole before coming back to 18.

I think The Masters goes 10, 11 then 18.

Guess I’d be better with the playoff concept if they are tied after 18 you go start all over again at 1 and play sudden death.

Reactions: Relayer
Tragically flawed? In that case I am rooting for Beef. That dude would be a riot out on the town.

My wife doesn't realize how good she has it. Allison Stokke has nothing on her :D
Allison Stokke, Cal alum. Roll on, you Sturdy Golden Bears.

Reactions: Relayer
I have a meeting w/ DJ next week, so I hope he plays well. Plus I get to meet Paulina. Who I would love to win would be 1) Ernie 2) Rickie

ADVERTISEMENT