ADVERTISEMENT

Urban to Jags

I don’t know of a successful pro coach other than Joe Gibbs who didn’t have a great qb. I think the genius in NE is the prime example.
That’s nonsense all OSU fans, especially the ones that come here, are reasonable, fair minded and objective people when discussing the Buckeyes. I refuse to believe that they would ever complain about any sanctions imposed on their team for whatever reason.
Nor do Penn State fans every bitch.....so we have at least 2 fair minded, reasonable fan bases.

With money, if some is good, more is better. I’m sure urban is also drawn to the challenge of winning in the NFL. Obviously few have had success in college and the NFL.
If you’re Urbs and ever aspired you give the NFL a shot, then this is about as sweet a chance as you’ll get in this lifetime. The right to draft a generational QB prospect, tons of extra draft capital, and the most cap flexibility in the league combine to make it so. There also seems to be a pretty hands-off owner in place.

Reactions: Cold Smoke
That’s nonsense all OSU fans, especially the ones that come here, are reasonable, fair minded and objective people when discussing the Buckeyes. I refuse to believe that they would ever complain about any sanctions imposed on their team for whatever reason.
I must object. My brother in law had access to an RV and we used to borrow it for PSU night games and make a weekend of it. I was in the RV lot for several OSU=PSU games and very few I encountered were rational. Once a Buckeye fan tried to tell me why it was totally irrational for a PSU fan to think they could win. I just thanked him for his time and walked away.

I must object. My brother in law had access to an RV and we used to borrow it for PSU night games and make a weekend of it. I was in the RV lot for several OSU=PSU games and very few I encountered were rational. Once a Buckeye fan tried to tell me why it was totally irrational for a PSU fan to think they could win. I just thanked him for his time and walked away.
2015-07-28-1438094156-437530-sarcastic-thumb.jpg

The rush for a lot of coaches is a drug.

Also for Meyer the NFL, may be better for him because he won’t have to recruit, so more off time.

He may also have a better handle on his cyst issue and how to manage it with medicine. Plus let’s face it he’s going to be a CEO and oversee the staff. So he could be able to get home at decent times for his health.

Who Knows, but I’m not surprised.
Cyst? I haven’t heard anything about that.

I am so sick of Meyer and his “medical” excuses for leaving teams. He creates an off the field mess then jumps ship claiming he’s not well.
Meyers medical excuse to leave Ohio State was/is a complete lie. It was never about the brain cyst. I think it’s pretty clear now that Ohio State told Urban Meyer they were moving on from him and the 2018 season would be his last at OSU. Ohio State fans even acknowledge the garbage medical excuse nowadays but they are of the mindset that Meyer left because he did not want to work with the OSU President/AD anymore.

Midnighter said:
It’s much less stress/pressure than college coaching - but, he can’t hand pick his players. Will be interesting to watch noting he was a better college coach than Pete Carrol who has had a ton of success in the NFL.

Second time around Pete has had success in the NFL. He got fired his first time.

Meyers medical excuse to leave Ohio State was/is a complete lie. It was never about the brain cyst. I think it’s pretty clear now that Ohio State told Urban Meyer they were moving on from him and the 2018 season would be his last at OSU. Ohio State fans even acknowledge the garbage medical excuse nowadays but they are of the mindset that Meyer left because he did not want to work with the OSU President/AD anymore.
Amazing how $10 million+ a year cures your medical issues. I wonder if somebody gave me a paltry 5 million would cure my lower back problems???

Amazing how $10 million+ a year cures your medical issues. I wonder if somebody gave me a paltry 5 million would cure my lower back problems???

I read the number is $12 million. You have to admit he did a pretty good acting job on the sideline of having issues. Now he is spry and full of vigor.

I read the number is $12 million. You have to admit he did a pretty good acting job on the sideline of having issues. Now he is spry and full of vigor.
Took a Hollywood tour many years ago......Mansions etc. I said to my wife...these stars have so much money, they pay people to jog for them. She said, "really?"

Reactions: katchthis
Let us not forget that UM was Joe's top choice to replace him back 10 or so years ago. For those that do not believe this Jay told me this exact fact when I spoke with him during an alumni event a few years ago. In fact Jay said there were more pictures of JVP in the OSU football building (in Urban's office) then there were in Lasch Building.

Joe also thought Bobby Bowden was a good man. Bobby barely waited for the body to cool before he started bad mouthing JoePA. Joe was a great football coach and person, but he was hardly infallible when judging character.

I hope for Urban's sake that he really does have a handle on his health. For someone that took every loss as tough as he did, I can't imagine going to JAX where the losses are going to roll up much quicker than anywhere else he's ever coached.

Reactions: 81b&w
That's the initial rumor I heard as well, he was demanding $12M. Later reports came out and said that wasn't true however.

Reactions: Delco Lion
I hope for Urban's sake that he really does have a handle on his health. For someone that took every loss as tough as he did, I can't imagine going to JAX where the losses are going to roll up much quicker than anywhere else he's ever coached.
I am amazed Meyer is doing this. He will struggle mentally from the wear and tear of the NFL. Every week he will face a team with talent equal to his, unlike the college scene.

I can’t wait to see his coaching staff...wouldn’t it be something if Urban raided OSU’s staff and Day left for the NFL...that would be unfortunate

Reactions: OhioLion
I can’t wait to see his coaching staff...wouldn’t it be something if Urban raided OSU’s staff and Day left for the NFL...that would be unfortunate
He will take a few, but OSU will be fine. Unlikely Day goes anywhere. He received a 3 year extension and word is he loves Columbus. But you can hope.

Joe also thought Bobby Bowden was a good man. Bobby barely waited for the body to cool before he started bad mouthing JoePA. Joe was a great football coach and person, but he was hardly infallible when judging character.
Joe was just overly generous in providing people the benefit of the doubt...to his detriment.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Meyer's hiring comes after regular communication between him and the Jaguars. Sources previously told ESPN's Adam Schefter that Meyer had been assembling a coaching staff, including some assistants from the college ranks, ahead of taking the Jaguars job.

"I'm ready to coach the Jacksonville Jaguars," Meyer said in a statement. "Jacksonville has an enthusiastic fan base, and the fans deserve a winning team. With upcoming opportunities in the NFL Draft, and strong support from ownership, the Jaguars are well-positioned to become competitive. I've analyzed this decision from every angle -- the time is right in Jacksonville, and the time is right for me to return to coaching. I'm excited about the future of this organization and our long term prospect for success."

Former Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, who was at LSU in 2020, is emerging as a prime candidate to become Meyer's offensive coordinator in Jacksonville, a source told ESPN's Todd Archer and Jeremy Fowler.----------------ESPN

Many may not like the guy, but he can flat out coach. He was a winner at Bowling Green and Utah without 4 and 5 star players littering the field. Florida was a mess when he took over, and he won two National Championships. He turned OSU into an even bigger juggernaut. Personally he may be a real dick and a slime ball but he sure wins football games wherever he goes. The Jags could do a lot worse, and frankly as bad as they are what do they have to lose?
We will find out for sure if he can coach. Jags are a bad organization plus he may not realize there is a salary cap in the NFL something he never had to worry about at FLA. Or O$U cause there never was a cap at these schools. No cupcake games either. I say he doesn’t make 5 years with the Jags.

I’m rooting for Urban. Maybe it’s because Joe liked him so much but I can’t dislike the guy. And I know he loved Joe.....

Reactions: 91Joe95
I’m rooting for Urban. Maybe it’s because Joe liked him so much but I can’t dislike the guy. And I know he loved Joe.....
And the game is more interesting when a good college coach can make the jump and be successful. It’s happened a lot less over the past 15 years. The NFL seems too focused on retreads and coordinators who actually didn’t have a ton of duties for Andy Reid or Belichek.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT