ADVERTISEMENT

Urban, OSU, Endowment

olelion

Jun 10, 2001
Tarpon Springs Fl
Put the he said, she said bullshit aside and answer this. Does keeping this staff taint the university to the point that it affects their endowment? If the answer is "yes", they're cleaning house

Does OSU want to be known as primarily a football school, or a good academic school that also has a powerful football program?

They are already the latter. But their decision here in the next few weeks could make many in the general public think they are only the former.

President Drake's decision here will likely be the defining decision of his OSU Presidency.

Put everything else aside --- Urban lied at B1G Media Days 19 days ago and that lie has been exposed, thus embarrassed the University. That, IMO, is really cause enough for a firing.

If I had to bet - I think he's fired. We will see.

Reactions: PSUPride1
Put the he said, she said bullshit aside and answer this. Does keeping this staff taint the university to the point that it affects their endowment? If the answer is "yes", they're cleaning house
I can't help but think the "other" scandals will impact this.
.tOSU wrestling scandal - withthe perp long gone and the charges 30 plus years old not much can be done
. isn't there a diving scandal as well
. UMd will almost certainly fire Durkin who does have some ties to Urban

It just strikes me that if OSU does nothing it will emphasize the"football at all costs" . even if you are that way you don't want to look like you are. I think Urban goes

Reactions: diggerpup
Does OSU want to be known as primarily a football school, or a good academic school that also has a powerful football program?

They are already the latter. But their decision here in the next few weeks could make many in the general public think they are only the former.

President Drake's decision here will likely be the defining decision of his OSU Presidency.

Put everything else aside --- Urban lied at B1G Media Days 19 days ago and that lie has been exposed, thus embarrassed the University. That, IMO, is really cause enough for a firing.

If I had to bet - I think he's fired. We will see.

Agreed. All this private stuff about the Smiths (other than being tragic) is not relevant to how Urban handled the situation internally and externally as it relates to the football team and his stature as a representative of OSU. I think he’s gone.

Irrespective of what happens it will hamstring Meyer. If he stays, teams will kill him on the recruiting trail. I believe he is too arrogant to alter his spiel about getting “his kids” to the league. Dantonio and Harbaugh will murder him. He will still recruit well, but it will have an effect. I think enough to pull him back to the pack in the conference.

You'll never know and neither may they. Only time it will effect a course of action is if you have donor in the process of funding who tells the development office that he's withdrawing because of the way a school handled something.

How likely is that threat to change anything? Who can tell.? I know of cases at different schools where the withdrawal eight-figure commitments did absolutely nothing.

Irrespective of what happens it will hamstring Meyer. If he stays, teams will kill him on the recruiting trail. I believe he is too arrogant to alter his spiel about getting “his kids” to the league. Dantonio and Harbaugh will murder him. He will still recruit well, but it will have an effect. I think enough to pull him back to the pack in the conference.

Depends. With some recruits it will be a problem no matter how things turn out. With others, it depends on the conclusion. If Courtney Smith directly told Urban that her husband was whaling on her and Meyer did nothing, that's a big problem. That doesn't seem to be the case. Then it's a matter of who told him what and when. Depending on the detail, less of a problem. If no one told him anything, even less of a problem that eventually goes away.

Depends. With some recruits it will be a problem no matter how things turn out. With others, it depends on the conclusion. If Courtney Smith directly told Urban that her husband was whaling on her and Meyer did nothing, that's a big problem. That doesn't seem to be the case. Then it's a matter of who told him what and when. Depending on the detail, less of a problem. If no one told him anything, even less of a problem that eventually goes away.

Based on the texts we have seen, if Urban didn't know, it was willful blindness.

I suggest that Art’s comments are on the mark in reply to your post. My comments are that Ohio State has played right at the top of the college football world for the last 80 years, they have the overwhelming support of the entire state, and Ohio HS players will always have OSU on their list. This incident will be a tiny blip on the radar.

Shady OSU and their “independent” investigation which has 3 current member of their BoT on the investigative committee - what a joke, Meyer will miss 4 games, mark it down.
Give them credit that they (1) did not hire Freeh, (2) have a BoT that does not want a scorched earth policy vs their own university, (3) have learned from PSU and NC that it is best to stick to your guns vs the toothless NCAA.

Reactions: Snow Shoe Lion
The problem for OSU, if they keep Urban, is they will always be waiting for the next shoe to drop. Any issue that may come up, will be judged in the context of him lying about this issue. Is he forced to come down harder on a kid who does something wrong in the future. If he gives a kid the benefit of the doubt, is OSU judged as tolerant or enabling of this behavior.

Regardless, it's a whole bunch of baggage for Urban and OSU to carry.

OSU's average ACT score has risen from something like 23 five years ago to 29 last year. It costs $10,000 a year for in-state tuition at OSU compared to about $30,000 at PSU (I believe I saw that here several months ago). The UM issue will have zero impact on OSU's academics or status. To the extent that a few, uninformed Leftist snowflakes may raise a ruckus, I say good riddance.

My son is a senior in HS this year, and I know that OSU is a very good deal. For instance, better than Miami of Ohio or Bowling Green.

In terms of the impact of one lie, it should be compared to a prominent member of PSU's faculty, Michael Mann, who has been caught lying and in an email deletion scheme and his efforts there were whitewashed by PSU in a non-investigation. See https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/07/climategate-and-the-big-green-lie/59709/ (PSU investigation so poor "it would be difficult to parody." From what I can see, this sorry episode hasn't affected PSU at all.)

Also, Mann lied about having received a Nobel prize. See https://canadafreepress.com/article...l-mann-for-falsely-claiming-he-was-awarded-th (I will anticipate one response. He later said he made a mistake because he received a certificate [that about 400 other people received for an award to the IPCC of which he was a member] and was mistaken. However, how could he honestly state he received the prize when he didn't receive Nobel money) Responses to this issue were discussed in detail on another thread, and I won't respond to Mann issues here again. Here is the thread. https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threa...fore-it-was-sealed.213663/page-8#post-3584634 (the 8th page)

Last edited:
OSU's average ACT score has risen from something like 23 five years ago to 29 last year. It costs $10,000 a year for in-state tuition at OSU compared to about $30,000 at PSU (I believe I say that here several months ago). The UM issue will have zero impact on OSU's academics or status. To the extent that a few, uninformed Leftist snowflakes may raise a ruckus, I say good riddance.

My son is a senior in HS this year, and I know that OSU is a very good deal. For instance, better than Miami of Ohio or Bowling Green.

In terms of the impact of one lie, it should be compared to a prominent member of PSU's faculty, Michael Mann, who has been caught lying and in an email deletion scheme and his efforts there were whitewashed by PSU in a non-investigation. See https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/07/climategate-and-the-big-green-lie/59709/ (PSU investigation so poor "it would be difficult to parody." From what I can see, this sorry episode hasn't affected PSU at all.

Also, Mann lied about having received a Nobel prize. See https://canadafreepress.com/article...l-mann-for-falsely-claiming-he-was-awarded-th (I will anticipate one response. He later said he made a mistake because he received a certificate and was mistaken. However, how could he honestly state he received the prize when he didn't receive Nobel money) Responses to this issue were discussed in detail on another thread, and I won't respond to Mann issues here again. Here is the thread. https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threa...fore-it-was-sealed.213663/page-8#post-3584634 (the 8th page)

In-state tuition at PSU ranges from $17,500 to $22,500 depending on the school and class (higher for juniors and seniors). And how many people know who the fvck Michael Mann is/was and what he did?

And how many people know who the fvck Michael Mann is/was and what he did?

Thank you for making my point. What he did doesn't matter to anyone even though it goes to PSU's core academic function. He was well-known enough to make the Atlantic magazine and was an important figure in Climategate.

I appreciate the correction on PSU's tuition.

Last edited:
And how many people know who the fvck Michael Mann is/was and what he did?
Was going to finish reading the remainder of the thread and ask this.
And, honestly, I don't care who Michael Mann is. Doubt he prides himself on "honesty and respect of women" and has this posted in his office. Did MM send his two closest friends to pressure the event to benefit him?
Doubt that as well.

OL

Thank you for making my point. What he did doesn't matter to anyone even though it goes to PSU's core academic function. He was well-known enough to make the Atlantic magazine and was an important figure in Climategate.

I appreciate the correction on PSU's tuition.

The Atlantic has a total circulation of about 550,00, subscriptions making up about 80% of that (with probably the same percentage concentrated in metro NYC). Gonna guess that way more people know about the Urban Meyer case.

Did MM send his two closest friends to pressure the event to benefit him?

It was a lot worse than that in that it involved an intentional violation of UK law regarding record retention to hide what he and others did. (See post 281 in thread noted above which quotes his participation in email deletion scheme)

However, what specifically did UM or his life coach/fixer tell CS that was wrong or illegal. What happened. I have seen no details other than Matt Hayes smearing someone calling him a "fixer" with no substantiation.

Last edited:
OSU's average ACT score has risen from something like 23 five years ago to 29 last year. It costs $10,000 a year for in-state tuition at OSU compared to about $30,000 at PSU (I believe I saw that here several months ago). The UM issue will have zero impact on OSU's academics or status. To the extent that a few, uninformed Leftist snowflakes may raise a ruckus, I say good riddance.

In terms of the impact of one lie, it should be compared to a prominent member of PSU's faculty, Michael Mann, who has been caught lying and in an email deletion scheme and his efforts there were whitewashed by PSU in a non-investigation. See https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/07/climategate-and-the-big-green-lie/59709/ (PSU investigation so poor "it would be difficult to parody." From what I can see, this sorry episode hasn't affected PSU at all.)

Also, Mann lied about having received a Nobel prize. See https://canadafreepress.com/article...l-mann-for-falsely-claiming-he-was-awarded-th (I will anticipate one response. He later said he made a mistake because he received a certificate [that about 400 other people received for an award to the IPCC of which he was a member] and was mistaken. However, how could he honestly state he received the prize when he didn't receive Nobel money) Responses to this issue were discussed in detail on another thread, and I won't respond to Mann issues here again. Here is the thread. https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threa...fore-it-was-sealed.213663/page-8#post-3584634 (the 8th page)
OSU has a bunch of bad sh!t going on in addition to Urban, yet you want to keep bringing up Mann. So ignore Urban, what about the other scandals going on at your beloved institution?

what about the other scandals going on at your beloved institution?

Made up crap about OSU mishandling diving club sexual assault matter when OSU fired coach 2 weeks after it was reported. 20 years after the fact attacking OSU for what a dead doctor did 20 years ago, which has no relation to OSU today.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidc...ask-does-the-big-ten-have-a-cultural-problem/

At this very moment, Ohio State finds itself embroiled in two separate cases that surely disturb the sane Buckeyes fans among us.

It says something unpleasant that Urban Meyer knowingly keeping an alleged wife beater on his staff for the better part of a decade isn’t even the most salacious scandal in Columbus these days. Not when a former team doctor, the late Richard Strauss, stands accused of molesting as many as 2,500 former Buckeyes athletes

It says something unpleasant that Urban Meyer knowingly keeping an alleged wife beater on his staff for the better part of a decade isn’t even the most salacious scandal in Columbus these days.

Some "alleged" wife beaters are innocent.

And, as for his knowledge, no one has heard from Shelly Meyer yet and her explanation of what occurred is one of the most important, if not most important, facet of the case. Yet everyone is jumping on UM as if they know all of the important facts. If she says she kept the info from UM or downplayed it substantially, UM is off the hook.

Of course, on top of this is the issue that in my mind, UM (if he didn't interfere) should be allowed to rely on the findings of a police department in making his personnel decisions. He shouldn't have the duty to investigate the family life of his coaches and become judge and jury on domestic violence issues.

Ok itchy trigger finger, look up Dr Swango. The doctor OSU med school said we’ll give u degree as long as you don’t practice in OH (after patients dying under weird circumstances there), so he went on to murder patients in other states. There’s more...wanna keep playing Dahmer, et al?

Some "alleged" wife beaters are innocent.

And, as for his knowledge, no one has heard from Shelly Meyer yet and her explanation of what occurred is one of the most important, if not most important, facet of the case.

Ah c'mon. What do you think Shelly is going to say, publicly or even in court? Ever hear of "Spousal Privilege?" She could undergo colossal loss by implicating Urban.

Ever hear of "Spousal Privilege?" She could undergo colossal loss by implicating Urban.

Spousal privilege only applies in court. This is not in court. However, based on a tweet in support of Jeff Snook, I do expect her explanation of what happened to be very helpful to UM.

Why do ppl keep engaging with this guy? He apparently has decided to make it his mission in life to hijack or derail every thread he sees that focuses on Meyer.....including one HE started! I doubt he'll go away, but you can still ignore him.

Reactions: odshowtime

Investigations Clear Scientists of Wrongdoing

Six official investigations have cleared scientists of accusations of wrongdoing.

Other agencies and media outlets have investigated the substance of the emails.

Reactions: michnittlion
Spousal privilege only applies in court. This is not in court. However, based on a tweet in support of Jeff Snook, I do expect her explanation of what happened to be very helpful to UM.

Unless there is hard evidence or testimony to the contrary, or unless she is seeking a divorce, Shelly Meyer is not going to implicate her own husband. So, if you think there is any value to her stating she said little or nothing to Urban, publicly or in court, then you are a moron. Now read what I just wrote carefully. Maybe a few times. Let it sink in. Then go away.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidc...ask-does-the-big-ten-have-a-cultural-problem/

At this very moment, Ohio State finds itself embroiled in two separate cases that surely disturb the sane Buckeyes fans among us.

It says something unpleasant that Urban Meyer knowingly keeping an alleged wife beater on his staff for the better part of a decade isn’t even the most salacious scandal in Columbus these days. Not when a former team doctor, the late Richard Strauss, stands accused of molesting as many as 2,500 former Buckeyes athletes
Between
1) the football abuse scandal under Meyer at Ohio St,
2) the evidence of cultural problems when he was at UF,
3) and the unnecessary death of McNair under a twice former assistant of Meyer at Maryland, then considering
4) the overlooked abuse of athletes in Ohio St's wrestling program for decades, and
5) the Ohio St diving team athletes,

young men and women and their families are going to seriously have to consider if they are even safe at Ohio St.

The pattern of abuses and cover ups, at the expense of athletes for Urban Meyer wherever he has gone, those that learned under Meyer, and at Ohio St broadly across their athletic programs is already extremely alarming. I'm not sure how they put lipstick on that pig without completely cleaning house up to the AD.

Most of Ohio St's other football coaches have landed there after being involved in their own scandals at other institutions. If I'm a recruit or parent that is reasonably informed, I wouldn't be able to get past the number of data points with Meyer, current staff, and Ohio St's other athletic programs to even consider them. Why would someone who has 30 or more great options pick a place with this sort of recent track record of abuses?

Ultimately I think this is why they boot Meyer, most of their assistant coaches, and the AD. It may not happen right away. But when they realize that some random people in Michigan or Texas or wherever is sending very truthful, thorough and detailed, fact checkable, information packages about Ohio St's pervasive abuse scandals to their 4 and 5 star targets, then it will become a slow death.

Meyer already somewhat underperforms with the level of talent they have on hand. Imagine how mediocre they will slowly become as the top talent drains from the program and choses schools that don't have entire coaching staffs with a well known history of abuse within their current and former programs or team docs that were allowed to sexually assault their own athletes for decades. I think their only reasonable choice is to clean house. Holding on will only make the pain much longer and worse.

Made up crap about OSU mishandling diving club sexual assault matter when OSU fired coach 2 weeks after it was reported. 20 years after the fact attacking OSU for what a dead doctor did 20 years ago, which has no relation to OSU today.
So everything that has ever happened at Penn State should be used against them, but nothing should be used against OSU...got it.

Swango was a murderer/neurosurgeon who reflected very poorly on his department at the OSU medical school in the early 1980s. How does that apply to UM 35 years later.

You tried to air random, sidebar dirty laundry with your Mann smear. We can play tit for tat, you’ll lose. Your MO is to take a potshot, run for cover, take another, run for cover. Always seeking a backpedal point: civil vs legal, not related to Urban, Shelly Knows Best. Be a man, sac up and stop being a coward. Your routine is old.

Reactions: pkg5002 and AWS1022
So, if you think there is any value to her stating she said little or nothing to Urban, publicly or in court,

It might not have occurred to you that the only way for Urban to know was through his wife. If that can't be proven, then the UM accusers have a big problem. Shelly is the one that CS was relying on to relay the info to UM>

Cam Newton got off the hook when he claimed that he didn't know that his father was acting for him, when his father sought money from a college to get Cam to sign. http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ers-records-reveal-details-cam-newton-scandal

Are you insane? Now you’re using Cam Newton and his shady past as a valid defense for UM! Some people have no shame when trying to justify a indenfinsible point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT