ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer - Fraud

psulongago

Aug 29, 2001
Seems every place he has left has been under a negative cloud. With the help, possibly blind eye, by college administrations he was able to recruit the best players. Suspect he had an unlimited recruiting budget, not necessarily suggesting he paid college players but there had to be inducements. In the pros he could not buy players, he had to coach them. If I recall, he was recently fined $300,000 further believe the team was also fined. Summary, on a level playing field he is ordinary. No way I would ever want him at Dear Old State (PSU). I commend the JAX owner for waiting till all the top College jobs were filled, though I doubt it was intentional. Of course, he will show up somewhere next year. Would have loved to have seen him at Temple, they just filled, and go 2 - 10.

Seems every place he has left has been under a negative cloud. With the help, possibly blind eye, by college administrations he was able to recruit the best players. Suspect he had an unlimited recruiting budget, not necessarily suggesting he paid college players but there had to be inducements. In the pros he could not buy players, he had to coach them. If I recall, he was recently fined $300,000 further believe the team was also fined. Summary, on a level playing field he is ordinary. No way I would ever want him at Dear Old State (PSU). I commend the JAX owner for waiting till all the top College jobs were filled, though I doubt it was intentional. Of course, he will show up somewhere next year. Would have loved to have seen him at Temple, they just filled, and go 2 - 10.

The booster club at UF paid the players well also paid for attorneys to keep them out of jail.

Source. Three friends of mine that were boosters bank rolling generously at the time.

Some guys are just not made to coach in the NFL. He’s one, Steve Spurrier, Lou Holtz are among the many others.
The man has won at every stop. IN MY OPINION you’re being unduly harsh on his coaching ability. He is not the best or the worst human being.

So the guy wins multiple championships and has been successful at 3 schools and you want to tear him down to make yourself feel better?

Reactions: dailybuck777
If true that he physically touched a player, if what the kicker said is true, he has crossed a line that he can never return from. I could care less what he did at his other coaching stops.

If true that he physically touched a player, if what the kicker said is true, he has crossed a line that he can never return from. I could care less what he did at his other coaching stops.
In august? Lol. The guy isn’t on the team. Sounds disgruntled to me.

In august? Lol. The guy isn’t on the team. Sounds disgruntled to me.
Did you read my post...first 2 words IF TRUE? And if it is, it is unforgivable. I wish he would have kicked a "disgruntled" linebacker. Obviously you are OK with coaches assaulting players.

He's probably no more dirty than a lot of other coaches. He's just sloppy and gets caught more easily.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I think the real problem with Urban is that he is an egomaniac and honestly thought that he could turn around that horrible Jax team in no time. He actually started seeing how really bad the situation is / was and just couldn't cope with it and end up going off the deep end. Once a coach starts losing his players, it's over.

So the guy wins multiple championships and has been successful at 3 schools and you want to tear him down to make yourself feel better?
I know you are not responding to me as it was not my post. However your statement is pretty ignorant. I’m pretty sure no one talking about Urban on this board, good or bad, has any bearing on how they feel about themselves.

He is a great college coach, but that certainly does not mean he is a good person. F Urban.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
The booster club at UF paid the players well also paid for attorneys to keep them out of jail.

Source. Three friends of mine that were boosters bank rolling generously at the time.

What did your 3 friends gain by this? I always wondered why people would pay kids?

Some guys are just not made to coach in the NFL. He’s one, Steve Spurrier, Lou Holtz are among the many others.
The man has won at every stop. IN MY OPINION you’re being unduly harsh on his coaching ability. He is not the best or the worst human being.
I think the assessment is right actually. His model and system were based on getting a single freak of nature athlete. That can work in college where the differential betweeen the freak and the mean is material. Not so much in the pros.

He's probably no more dirty than a lot of other coaches. He's just sloppy and gets caught more easily.
Many years ago I had a salesman who called on me whose wife worked at the NCAA HQ in Overland Park, KS in "enforcement." His basic message was that every major/successful coach plays the game to some extent, but that they keep themselves far enough above the fray that they have deniability. Sean Miller has shown us how that works.

At the time the UPS package drop when $25,000 went flying in the packing facility which was enroute to Jamal Mashburn's dad was "shocking" news. My guy rolled his eyes and said that the fact that they were dumb enough to get caught was the surprise.

I believe Rip's story about UF boosters. While I was not aware of PSU football players being overtly paid from 1983-87, I do know that there were recreational drugs and steroid use amongst some guys. Somehow they got away with it...exactly how I don't know.

We have our own smoke recently with the alleged Tony Carr recruiting cash. I also happened to walk through the parking area of the football dorms on the way back to town after a game a few years ago and noticed quite a few really nice vehicles with vanity plates. Slade 3 VA tags was one. Stout had an old pick up. Is this the difference between a top recruit and transfer? Who knows.......

What did your 3 friends gain by this? I always wondered why people would pay kids?
I sat in a Sports Bar Outside of Gainesville and the 3 of them boasted about how much influence and privledge they bought by funneling money to the players.

They highlighted getting bail money and covering attorneys fees to players in need. Some players in need frequently.

They got off on bragging rights and corruption. I never understood the culture.

They want the pride that comes with cheating your way to a national title. Why else?

I don't think I'd call people doing that kind of thing my friend.

They want the pride that comes with cheating your way to a national title. Why else?

I don't think I'd call people doing that kind of thing my friend.
More accurately, they were acquaintances among other UF Boosters that were friends. My UF Booster friends didn't like these guys either and admitted there were many others like them running the program off the rails.
I am very glad to be away from Gainesville.

Reactions: hlstone and IANit
Many years ago I had a salesman who called on me whose wife worked at the NCAA HQ in Overland Park, KS in "enforcement." His basic message was that every major/successful coach plays the game to some extent, but that they keep themselves far enough above the fray that they have deniability. Sean Miller has shown us how that works.

At the time the UPS package drop when $25,000 went flying in the packing facility which was enroute to Jamal Mashburn's dad was "shocking" news. My guy rolled his eyes and said that the fact that they were dumb enough to get caught was the surprise.

I believe Rip's story about UF boosters. While I was not aware of PSU football players being overtly paid from 1983-87, I do know that there were recreational drugs and steroid use amongst some guys. Somehow they got away with it...exactly how I don't know.

We have our own smoke recently with the alleged Tony Carr recruiting cash. I also happened to walk through the parking area of the football dorms on the way back to town after a game a few years ago and noticed quite a few really nice vehicles with vanity plates. Slade 3 VA tags was one. Stout had an old pick up. Is this the difference between a top recruit and transfer? Who knows.......

At least as far as cars go, I know that if our daughter was on full scholarship and we weren't having to pay tuition and room and board, we'd sure be able to afford a nicer car for her than her 2004 Buick Century (which she totaled) and her 2014 Subaru Forester.

Reactions: hlstone
The club's management knew about it and took it so seriously that they did nothing until they decided they wanted to fire him. Then it suddenly became an issue again.

At least as far as cars go, I know that if our daughter was on full scholarship and we weren't having to pay tuition and room and board, we'd sure be able to afford a nicer car for her than her 2004 Buick Century (which she totaled) and her 2014 Subaru Forester.
Same here. A relative picked Rutgers Honors with full tuition over Colgate, Lafayette, St. Lawrence and others like them. Parents are getting him a nice ride and saving other $ for grad school or down-payment on condo when he graduates.

We had a thread years ago about Cars of the SEC or something similar....and I've seen pix of T. Pryor's Vette more than I wish I would have. PSU kids have nice cars as well. Too nice?? is a question to ponder while we throw stones. NIL pretty much takes all of that away....Blaise Alexander...Official NIL 0 Cost Lease Provider of PSU Athletics!

Reactions: Madsol
Character flaws for sure, but he can coach. An argument can be made that he was instrumental in changing College Football offensively with his offenses at Utah and Florida. The read option and RPO's are everywhere now. That said, I would not want him at PSU, he seems to have left a stench everywhere he has been.

Reactions: EPC FAN
The club's management knew about it and took it so seriously that they did nothing until they decided they wanted to fire him. Then it suddenly became an issue again.
Sorry...totally looking at this from a coaching perspective. Having coached for 23 years...touching a player in the way he did is the line that ,if crossed , is just something you don't come back from. Not looking at it from managements point of view which is all about the $$$. Coaches don't touch players ,or kick players..period. I so wish that kicker would have drop kicked him in the nuts after he got released.

I know you are not responding to me as it was not my post. However your statement is pretty ignorant. I’m pretty sure no one talking about Urban on this board, good or bad, has any bearing on how they feel about themselves.

He is a great college coach, but that certainly does not mean he is a good person. F Urban.
You said it best. I wasn’t responding to you.

More accurately, they were acquaintances among other UF Boosters that were friends. My UF Booster friends didn't like these guys either and admitted there were many others like them running the program off the rails.
I am very glad to be away from Gainesville.
I wonder how good they felt about Aaron Hernandez's situation. He's one of the guys they probably got out of legal trouble and he ended up killing someone and himself. Very sad indeed.

You are correct. I did say it best by giving a great answer about the ignorance of your comment.
Of course, Tear down his college record to make yourself feel better. I never commented on what he did off the field. You sound like those assholes that tear down Joepa.

He's won 3 national championships and all the fanboys here would have idolized him if he came here after Joe and brought a title. Fraud? Yep, another guy who doesn't know how to coach football.....seems like we find a lot of them on this site.
Question his methods, perhaps his character, but his coaching record is far from fraudulent. Failing in pro football is pretty common among successful college coaches. If Urban wanted to coach in college again, I'll bet he wouldn't have to wait long.

He's won 3 national championships and all the fanboys here would have idolized him if he came here after Joe and brought a title. Fraud? Yep, another guy who doesn't know how to coach football.....seems like we find a lot of them on this site.
Question his methods, perhaps his character, but his coaching record is far from fraudulent. Failing in pro football is pretty common among successful college coaches. If Urban wanted to coach in college again, I'll bet he wouldn't have to wait long.
To be fair, he didn’t know how to coach NFL football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT