ADVERTISEMENT

Upon further review

Conewago

Jul 10, 2017
Having seen a replay, my gut inclination is that RBY probably did earn a brief takedown on DeSanto

But it was a very, very close call. If there was control by RBY, it was no more than a second. And I don't see any reason to RAGE at the officials. I would hate to have to make that call.

I've said elsewhere that I'd like for someone besides the ref to review the calls. On the other hand, a review from "upstairs" didn't help PSU in the infamous 2014 football game with Ohio State! o_O

With that said, I didn't really understand what one gentleman, a writer at Onward State, had to say about DeSanto showing his "usual antics" in this match. Huh? What did he do wrong? He ran back to the center after RBY hit his head, and that's, by the rules, exactly what DeSanto should have done. And they patted each other on the back and shook hands at the end, so there's seemingly no bad blood between them.

I thought both wrestlers were both respectable and VERY intense, and I'd love to see more such action as we go!

Having seen a replay, my gut inclination is that RBY probably did earn a brief takedown on DeSanto

But it was a very, very close call. If there was control by RBY, it was no more than a second. And I don't see any reason to RAGE at the officials. I would hate to have to make that call.

I've said elsewhere that I'd like for someone besides the ref to review the calls. On the other hand, a review from "upstairs" didn't help PSU in the infamous 2014 football game with Ohio State! o_O

With that said, I didn't really understand what one gentleman, a writer at Onward State, had to say about DeSanto showing his "usual antics" in this match. Huh? What did he do wrong? He ran back to the center after RBY hit his head, and that's, by the rules, exactly what DeSanto should have done. And they patted each other on the back and shook hands at the end, so there's seemingly no bad blood between them.

I thought both wrestlers were both respectable and VERY intense, and I'd love to see more such action as we go!
Onward State is like the collegian without advisors that understand journalistic standards. That said, they have a guy who has covered the team for a few years, and is usually pretty good.

Reactions: dsites52

I didn’t see anything wrong with Desanto’s behavior.

Let it go, RBY was overmatched again, but is learning, and showed improvement from their last meeting. He’s gonna have to get to HIS offense more, but his drive, athleticism and skillset are right where a true freshmans should be, he’ll be fine, even if he doesnt AA, and who could fault him for that in this years 133.

Reactions: Fatmarc
I did not see a replay, only live, but at the time I was most angry about the call because the ref gave desanto a takedown on a very brief call earlier in the match. The clock said 1 second of riding time for desanto. If desanto's was a takedown then RBY's should have been as well

Reactions: Dogwelder
If anything, DeSanto put a dollar back in the respect jar with how he handled the match. I’ve been critical of AD in the past, but let’s not make up stuff that isn’t there

Reactions: psualt and Fatmarc
Onward State is like the collegian without advisors that understand journalistic standards. That said, they have a guy who has covered the team for a few years, and is usually pretty good.

The Collegian's advisors don't understand journalistic standards either -- or perhaps they understand them and don't follow them.

Just saw an new angle.... looking directly at the action as if your facing the psu coaches. TD is clear as a day. Just a horrific effort by the officials

Reactions: nitlion6
Just saw an new angle.... looking directly at the action as if your facing the psu coaches. TD is clear as a day. Just a horrific effort by the officials

If it looks different from different angles then it's not "clear as day."

Reactions: Dogwelder
If it looks different from different angles then it's not "clear as day."
There is no if. Simple.
Hips covered? Check.
Supporting weight on hands?
Check?

It is nice to be all reasonable and such, but it was a TD.

Side note. Referees should not be reviewing their own calls.

There is no if. Simple.
Hips covered? Check.
Supporting weight on hands?
Check?

It is nice to be all reasonable and such, but it was a TD.

Side note. Referees should not be reviewing their own calls.

I agree, but seriously, one should not overestimate this as a solution

Just ask the 2014 Nittany Lions football team! Once again!

I agree, but seriously, one should not overestimate this as a solution

Just ask the 2014 Nittany Lions football team! Once again!
There is a distinct difference. Penn State football has been and still is disposed by Big10 officials.

There isn't some type of giant secret society big10 hate club for PSU wtestling. I mean, yeah there is HR, but their hatred is not secret and their membership is rather limited.

My issue is simple. Wrestling officials never make a mistake and mat judges generally exist for a friendly back slap coupled with a practiced and always perfectly delivered, verbalized "great call".
Have someone independant and separated do the reviews.

ADVERTISEMENT