ADVERTISEMENT

Updated: Where were stand with Recruits 5/18

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
Update: Been a little while, on purpose I wanted to have something to report. Dalton become the second prospect to commit from my Very Good Chance ranking in a row. This most likely does it for TEs in this class. Moved Hamlin down since there is buzz there with Pitt and OSU, I still think he ends up at Penn State as he has seemed to really enjoy past visits on social media. His HS teammate Wheeler moved up since he has stated we are the leader. Menet could commit any day now. Ferns got moved up after eliminating OSU for not having his major. Betiku said some nice things about Penn State this weekend and refers to Lavar as his dad in the interview. I really think that will be huge for him in wanting to wear #11 in Blue and White and chase QBs like pops did. Fuller might be a guy that could move up a row soon as he is really taking it slow. Ball will release a top 10 Friday which we will be in. At DT I view Wheeler and Jordan as guys who will need to develop, Dioubate as kind of a wild card, Gary as a walk in starter, but the biggest surprise might be Panasuik who might also be a guy you could throw in your DL rotation tomorrow. He is huge and really impressed at a camp last week, for a 3 star to get an Opening invite means he wont be a 3 star long. Haskins committed to Maryland and followed it up by saying that he was going to recruit pretty much everyone in the top 300 to play with him including Simmons and others. Kind of ridiculous and puts him on my most hated players list for sure. Unfortunately there will be a number of guys below and others that will follow him to MD and for them its a great get.

Commit Watch:
4* OL Menet, 4* S Pryts, 3* OLB Hudson, 3* OT Fries, 3* DT Wheeler

Very Good Chance:
4* CB Hamlin, 4* LB Ferns, 4* DL Dioubate, 4* DE Betiku, 4* DT Jordan

In The Battle:
4* WR Nixon, 4* WR Diggs, 4* TE Angeline, 4* DE King, 4* DE Johnson, 4* OG Boudreaux, 4* OG Onwenu, 4* TE Farrell, 3* OLB Brown, 3* OT Ball, 3* DE Toney, 3* DT Panasiuk, 3* DT Colon, 3* OT Niang, 3* DT Kamara, 3* CB Gilbert, JC DT Chavis, JC DT Tanielu, K Nordin

Work Left To Do:
5* DT Gary, 4* ATH Fuller, 4* TE Upshur, 4* CB Rene, 3* OLB Hansford, 3* OT Gellerstedt

Have To Get Really Lucky:
4* OT Williams, 4* OG Davis, 4* DE Kareem, 4* WR Smothers, 4* WR Corley, 4* WR Hawkins

My opinion on where we stand with recruits based on rumors, where the coaching staff has made serious effort, offers, tweets (sometimes) and gut feeling. My categories(and their meanings) are Commit Watch (changed from Locks as to not offend recruiting gods), Very good chance(we sit very well with the recruit and are either the leader or perceived leader), In the Battle(We have a good shot and are equal to others or just slightly behind), Work left to do(there is another perceived leader or little information known on recruits intentions), Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none).

One knucklehead's "prognostications"

Assuming 15 more scholarships to give out (which is obviously subject to change as things move forward):

Expected distribution, on top of the current verbals:

2 more DBS: Most likely - Pryts and Hamlin
Rene as another option

2 "box" LBers: Most likely - Ferns and ? (from what I hear, 2017 may be a much better year for LBers in the region, so may only take 1, and load up next year)

2 Big DLine: Most likely - Dioubate and Wheeler
Gary (would be nice), Pasaniuk, Colon, Niang and Jordan as other options
+ 1 "Post-Grad" DT: Most likely - Hard to say, the best option will have to match up academically. Maybe Chavis

1 DE: Most likely - Johnson
Jones, King, possibly Brown as other options

3 or 4 OL: Most likely - Menet, Fries, Ball
Davis, WIlliams, Merritt, Boudreax, and Onwenu as other options

2 WR/Athlete: Most likely - Diggs and Fuller, but may end up taking only 1 in the category
Tre Nixon as another option

1 Kicker: Most likely Nordin
Other options - best available in the region as scholarship or PWO

1 BestAvaiableAthlete: Options include Angeline, Hudson, Betiku etc

Last edited:
On knuckleheads "prognostications"

Assuming 15 more scholarships to give out (which is obviously subject to change as things move forward):

Expected distribution, on top of the current verbals:

2 more DBS: Most likely - Pryts and Hamlin
Rene as another option

2 "box" LBers: Most likely - Ferns and ? (from what I hear, 2017 may be a much better year for LBers in the region, so may only take 1, and load up next year)

2 Big DLine: Most likely - Dioubate and Wheeler
Gary (would be nice), Pasaniuk, Colon, Niang and Jordan as other options
+ 1 "Post-Grad" DT: Most likely - Hard to say, the best option will have to match up academically. Maybe Chavis

1 DE: Most likely - Johnson
Jones, King, possibly Brown as other options

3 or 4 OL: Most likely - Menet, Fries, Ball
Davis, WIlliams, Merritt, Boudreax, and Onwenu as other options

2 WR/Athlete: Most likely - Diggs and Fuller, but may end up taking only 1 in the category
Tre Nixon as another option

1 Kicker: Most likely Nordin
Other options - best available in the region as scholarship or PWO

1 BestAvaiableAthlete: Options include Angeline, Hudson, Betiku etc

Am I knucklehead?

Johnson wants to play with Hawkins in college, Michigan is high on both. That's why I moved him down to "Battle", I guess I forgot that in my summary. Niang is an OT. Diggs looks to be a Bama, MD battle, but I guess we could get back in it; he's not too far gone. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take any WR or just 1.

Just curious? If you are done taking tight ends...why would you still be recruiting 3 of them? I get Angeline, you always make room for that type of player. However, I think Dalton should end all interest in the other two.

15 more scholarships (22 total) seems quite optimistic. PSU has 73 scholarship players eligible to return in 2016 and I can't imagine 10 kids leaving early. I think it's more likely that 3-4 leave early giving us a total of 16 or 9 more than the 7 current verbals.

Let's be optimistic and say we get 4 of the 5 bmw199 commit watch prospects. Let's say we get 3 of the 5 from bmw199's "very good chance" list. That leaves two more spots for kids not as high on the current radar.

My top 4 priorities would be Menet, Ferns, Dioubate, & Jordan. There are some good DBs & WRs on that list but I think we're already in good shape at those positions.

Update: Been a little while, on purpose I wanted to have something to report. Dalton become the second prospect to commit from my Very Good Chance ranking in a row. This most likely does it for TEs in this class. Moved Hamlin down since there is buzz there with Pitt and OSU, I still think he ends up at Penn State as he has seemed to really enjoy past visits on social media. His HS teammate Wheeler moved up since he has stated we are the leader. Menet could commit any day now. Ferns got moved up after eliminating OSU for not having his major. Betiku said some nice things about Penn State this weekend and refers to Lavar as his dad in the interview. I really think that will be huge for him in wanting to wear #11 in Blue and White and chase QBs like pops did. Fuller might be a guy that could move up a row soon as he is really taking it slow. Ball will release a top 10 Friday which we will be in. At DT I view Wheeler and Jordan as guys who will need to develop, Dioubate as kind of a wild card, Gary as a walk in starter, but the biggest surprise might be Panasuik who might also be a guy you could throw in your DL rotation tomorrow. He is huge and really impressed at a camp last week, for a 3 star to get an Opening invite means he wont be a 3 star long. Haskins committed to Maryland and followed it up by saying that he was going to recruit pretty much everyone in the top 300 to play with him including Simmons and others. Kind of ridiculous and puts him on my most hated players list for sure. Unfortunately there will be a number of guys below and others that will follow him to MD and for them its a great get.

Commit Watch:
4* OL Menet, 4* S Pryts, 3* OLB Hudson, 3* OT Fries, 3* DT Wheeler

Very Good Chance:
4* CB Hamlin, 4* LB Ferns, 4* DL Dioubate, 4* DE Betiku, 4* DT Jordan

In The Battle:
4* WR Nixon, 4* WR Diggs, 4* TE Angeline, 4* DE King, 4* DE Johnson, 4* OG Boudreaux, 4* OG Onwenu, 4* TE Farrell, 3* OLB Brown, 3* OT Ball, 3* DE Toney, 3* DT Panasiuk, 3* DT Colon, 3* OT Niang, 3* DT Kamara, 3* CB Gilbert, JC DT Chavis, JC DT Tanielu, K Nordin

Work Left To Do:
5* DT Gary, 4* ATH Fuller, 4* TE Upshur, 4* CB Rene, 3* OLB Hansford, 3* OT Gellerstedt

Have To Get Really Lucky:
4* OT Williams, 4* OG Davis, 4* DE Kareem, 4* WR Smothers, 4* WR Corley, 4* WR Hawkins

My opinion on where we stand with recruits based on rumors, where the coaching staff has made serious effort, offers, tweets (sometimes) and gut feeling. My categories(and their meanings) are Commit Watch (changed from Locks as to not offend recruiting gods), Very good chance(we sit very well with the recruit and are either the leader or perceived leader), In the Battle(We have a good shot and are equal to others or just slightly behind), Work left to do(there is another perceived leader or little information known on recruits intentions), Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none).

Colon should be moved up to "very good chance" as PSU is one of his final two.

I want Betiku, 3 more OL with Menet being me of them, 3 DT's with Dioubate and Panasiuk being two. If no Gary, then a JUCO. Honestly, not concerned about the other positions.

Just curious? If you are done taking tight ends...why would you still be recruiting 3 of them? I get Angeline, you always make room for that type of player. However, I think Dalton should end all interest in the other two.
These are meant to be reflections on where we are at this moment in time. I expect to move them down the list as time moves on. Technically they still have offers and may or may not even visit some more, but I doubt we would be after them as much as other targets, but today, to me, this is where each one stands.

Am I knucklehead?

Johnson wants to play with Hawkins in college, Michigan is high on both. That's why I moved him down to "Battle", I guess I forgot that in my summary. Niang is an OT. Diggs looks to be a Bama, MD battle, but I guess we could get back in it; he's not too far gone. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take any WR or just 1.
I was referring to myself as the knucklehead....sorry if that wasn't clear

Oh, geez, I see the problem "on" was supposed to be "one"......I will edit

Reactions: fairgambit
I was referring to myself as the knucklehead....sorry if that wasn't clear
Oh, geez, I see the problem "on" was supposed to be "one"......I will edit
That fumble was very nicely recovered, and your response appears sincere, so props to you.

I want Betiku, 3 more OL with Menet being me of them, 3 DT's with Dioubate and Panasiuk being two. If no Gary, then a JUCO. Honestly, not concerned about the other positions.

I concur. Though I would add that for excitement purposes for the overall class if we didn't add at least one of Ferns, Pryts, or Fuller I would be disappointed. We have a reasonable chance at all three so I don't expect to be disappointed. And, at the end of the recruiting cycle, don't add flyers just to fill to 85. I know those guys pan out once in a while, but we will definitely need 'ships next year for guys higher on the board than the flyers this year..

15 more scholarships (22 total) seems quite optimistic. PSU has 73 scholarship players eligible to return in 2016 and I can't imagine 10 kids leaving early. I think it's more likely that 3-4 leave early giving us a total of 16 or 9 more than the 7 current verbals.

Let's be optimistic and say we get 4 of the 5 bmw199 commit watch prospects. Let's say we get 3 of the 5 from bmw199's "very good chance" list. That leaves two more spots for kids not as high on the current radar.

My top 4 priorities would be Menet, Ferns, Dioubate, & Jordan. There are some good DBs & WRs on that list but I think we're already in good shape at those positions.

You never know until AT LEAST February (and the number of available scholarships can only go up, not down)....but, as of right now, of guys with eligibility for 2016, we have:

11 from the 2012 class (would be 5th year seniors)
11 from the 2013 class
23 from the 2014 class
25 from the 2015 class

Doesn't not include WOs on the roster

So, 70 in all. I would be very surprised of more than 5 or 6 of the 2012 kids (out of 11) were back for a fifth year, and it is quite likely that at least 1 or 2 of the 2013 class could leave early for the NFL.........that would get you down to 63 or so carrying over to 2016......even if you DON'T have any casualties due to injury/academics/transfer etc.

As I said, you can never get a "hard" number until at least February, but I would be shocked if there were not at least 22 available for this class.

You never know until AT LEAST February (and the number of available scholarships can only go up, not down)....but, as of right now, of guys with eligibility for 2016, we have:

11 from the 2012 class (would be 5th year seniors)
11 from the 2013 class
23 from the 2014 class
25 from the 2015 class

Doesn't not include WOs on the roster

So, 70 in all. I would be very surprised of more than 5 or 6 of the 2012 kids (out of 11) were back for a fifth year, and it is quite likely that at least 1 or 2 of the 2013 class could leave early for the NFL.........that would get you down to 63 or so carrying over to 2016......even if you DON'T have any casualties due to injury/academics/transfer etc.

As I said, you can never get a "hard" number until at least February, but I would be shocked if there were not at least 22 available for this class.

This link shows 74 but I think they forgot to remove Lucas in 2016. That's why I said 73. 19 players will be in their final year of eligibility in 2016:

Hack, Lynch, Dowrey, Gaia, Laurent, Palmer, Wilkerson, Kiley, Lewis, Barney, Johnson, Schwan, Walker, Wartman, Wooten, Bell, Smith, Golden, and A. Smith. I seriously doubt that 10 of the 19 will leave early. http://www.jimspennstatefootball.webs.com/PSUschols.htm

This link shows 74 but I think they forgot to remove Lucas in 2016. That's why I said 73. 19 players will be in their final year of eligibility in 2016:

Hack, Lynch, Dowrey, Gaia, Laurent, Palmer, Wilkerson, Kiley, Lewis, Barney, Johnson, Schwan, Walker, Wartman, Wooten, Bell, Smith, Golden, and A. Smith. I seriously doubt that 10 of the 19 will leave early. http://www.jimspennstatefootball.webs.com/PSUschols.htm
Maybe not. No way to know for sure till we get there........but I'd bet a jelly donut they have at least 22 to give for 2016 :) .....even though, I PERSONALLY like the idea of having a bunch of 5h year guys available - even if it means taking a couple less in the recruiting class.

Just so you know Bgdan also made at least 20 of these of type of posts about the Class of 2015. He was wrong about the size of that class and he will end up wrong about this one too.

Just so you know Bgdan also made at least 20 of these of type of posts about the Class of 2015. He was wrong about the size of that class and he will end up wrong about this one too.
Haha. My comments about last year's class were made before sanctions were reversed. You can disagree with my assessment but you should have the courage to support your numbers. Which players other than Hack and Johnson have NFL potential? You need to come up with 8 more who will enter the draft, transfer, or simply give up football. Go for it!

Kevin Reihner is a one year scholarship holder. Not sure he was in your calculations.

Haha. My comments about last year's class were made before sanctions were reversed. You can disagree with my assessment but you should have the courage to support your numbers. Which players other than Hack and Johnson have NFL potential? You need to come up with 8 more who will enter the draft, transfer, or simply give up football. Go for it!

And here we go again with bdgan's schollie's predictions............. Bdgan, I suggest you spend your time/effort on WHO we are recruiting rather than HOW MANY we are recruiting. The numbers can and will change all the time. Your time will be well spent on focusing on the quality rather than the quantity. Newho, JMO! :)

Reactions: royboy and NJPSU

I don't know who they didn't remove but its 71 returning with 2016 eligibility (I'll gladly post the full list in another thread if you don't believe me).

14 spots currently open in recruiting class of '16. 8 commits so far. 6 more to go without anyone leaving. Barney and Walker are in their last years of eligibility this year and you forgot Jordan Smith (unless they RS him and didn't tell me) and Brandon Bell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT