ADVERTISEMENT

Updated weights on the PSU football site...

1000_OaksLion

Jul 15, 2001
Sorry if this has been discussed. Unfortunately i can't link the updated roster.

A few weights caught my eye. Barber listed at 278. Windsor down to 281. Sanders down to 211. I believe Hansard was pushing 320. And McGovern at 320. Brown appeared to be holding steady at 220.

Franklin was right; Tarburton's dropping weight quickly - he's down to 243 already. Parsons is at 241 and Luketa is at 239.

Would like to Big Bacon Wright become Big Salad Wright and drop about 30 lbs.

Same with Steven Gonzales... dropping 15-20 lbs would help his quickness. His strength is already off the charts.

Reactions: indynittany
Sorry if this has been discussed. Unfortunately i can't link the updated roster.

A few weights caught my eye. Barber listed at 278. Windsor down to 281. Sanders down to 211. I believe Hansard was pushing 320. And McGovern at 320. Brown appeared to be holding steady at 220.

I knew when they moved Barber to DT he couldn't still be 245.

Buchholz at 264. Wasn't he heavier than that last year? Looks to be getting ready to be a full time DE. Plenty of DT's already.

Simmons at 246. Wasn't he around 250 last year?

Toney at 224, at DE. Play after play in the 4th quarter of the oh-high-ya game he got pushed around when the defense looked pretty helpless. Must be genetics that is keeping him from putting on muscle.

Dalton at 245 is good to see. He seems to be the forgotten man at TE. We shall see...

B. Franklin at 204, still a ways to go to have the size to play B10 LB.

Last edited:
Some that seem positive:
Kuntz at 6'7" 232#
Gross-Matos 6'5" 257#
Juwanson 6'4" 229#
Oruwariye 6'1" 204#

Looking at the 2nd year LBs
Brooks at 234# may be ready, but Faison-Walden at 212# and Franklin at 204# seem under-sized (or are they LB/Safety types?)

Buchholz at 264. Wasn't he heavier than that last year? Looks to be getting ready to be a full time DE. Plenty of DT's already.

Toney at 224, at DE. Play after play in the 4th quarter of the oh-high-ya game he got pushed around when the defense looked pretty helpless. Must be genetics that is keeping him from putting on muscle.

Dalton at 245 is good to see. He seems to be the forgotten man at TE. We shall see...

Franklin at 204 is disappointing if that is accurate. He's gained zero weight since his enrollment. Toney can't seem to add weight. I'm hoping Hansford's weight gain is all good weight and he becomes a monster at the 1 technique. If he can become what AJ was a few years ago this defense will have mucho potential.

Got a alot of undersized linebackers. Whole mess of them are under 220lbs. I can see why Franklin been recruiting guys that already have linebackers size.

Last edited:
Franklin should bring in Vanderlinden. Guy had a serious eye for linebacker talent. Really hope linebackers Franklin brought in pan out.

Also,

Cam Brown has the frame to put on more muscle and it's surprising he is not heading into the 230's

Martin (OL) at 273 - looks to be another couple of years in the weight room before he can compete to play OL

Jarvis Miller - Big framed athlete. Surprised he is not 225+ after 2 years at LB, to compete for a starting LB position.....

Shareef Miller had a nice RS SO season last year. At 256. A little more muscle would help him get to the next level and he has the frame for it.

Last edited:

Exactly what I noticed, along with Given 275 down from 287; Windsor 281 from around 301; Bates at 305 from 314. Holmes down to 306 looks good, but Miller at 215 is just too light to play LB in the Big 10.

Also,

Cam Brown has the frame to put on more muscle and it's surprising he is not heading into the 230's

Martin (OL) at 273 - looks to be another couple of years in the weight room before he can compete to play OL

Jarvis Miller - Big framed athlete. Surprised he is not 225+ after 2 years at LB, to compete for a starting LB position.....

Shareef Miller had a nice RS SO season last year. At 256. A little more muscle would help him get to the next level and he has the frame for it.

Jarvis Miller was only 188 pounds and a safety when he stepped on campus. Not sure he can get much bigger.

With the all extra running, training, and lifting, I would expect individuals to lose weight, but are yet gaining much muscle. It will be interesting to see the weights in the fall roster, where the players will be putting on more weight. In other words, I wouldn't read too much into weights at this point, except where individuals are really low for the position.

Reactions: BBrown
Exactly what I noticed, along with Given 275 down from 287; Windsor 281 from around 301; Bates at 305 from 314. Holmes down to 306 looks good, but Miller at 215 is just too light to play LB in the Big 10.
Are we going to smaller DT's? Givens at 275 is kind of scary to me. Can a kid at 275 be effective against tOSU's 220 lb RB Mike Weber and a 310 lb guard?

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Jarvis Miller was only 188 pounds and a safety when he stepped on campus. Not sure he can get much bigger.

His looks to have as large or a larger frame, at a legit 6'2", than many of our recent LB's that played in the 225-230 range. Such as Bell and Bowen.

Are we going to smaller DT's? Givens at 275 is kind of scary to me. Can a kid at 275 be effective against tOSU's 220 lb RB Mike Weber and a 310 lb guard?

Aaron Donald is NFL defensive player of the year playing DT at 284 lbs. So, yeah, it's possible to be effective at 275.

Aaron Donald is NFL defensive player of the year playing DT at 284 lbs. So, yeah, it's possible to be effective at 275.

I was just going to mention Aaron Donald. The Rams roster has him at 6-1 280, and Easley, also listed as a DT at 273.

its a good point...not long ago, you wouldn't sniff DT if you were under 300 in the NFL. But the NFL is much more pass oriented. College game is more balanced. Might be a problem against UM or Wiscy. I can see a trend toward big, physical offenses if defense skinny down to combat passing teams. Jacksonville Jags come to mind with a big, strong back and a good defense.

Regardless, to your point, things are changing.

its a good point...not long ago, you wouldn't sniff DT if you were under 300 in the NFL. But the NFL is much more pass oriented. College game is more balanced. Might be a problem against UM or Wiscy. I can see a trend toward big, physical offenses if defense skinny down to combat passing teams. Jacksonville Jags come to mind with a big, strong back and a good defense.

Regardless, to your point, things are changing.

Yep, same situation at outside linebacker. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we have a bunch if guys at that weight. It seems likely that’s what the staff wants at OLB.

Givens appears not only very quick on the 1st move but then fast as he gains position and then can shoot by a larger OL, at times anyway. No one consistently beats the OL or at least rarely do they dominate in this conf. of rather large OL-Guards vs DT's. Kevin Givens provides a speed rush DT or DE. Versatile. Not a Goal Line Stand type but a 2nd & 3rd & long DT/DE.

His looks to have as large or a larger frame, at a legit 6'2", than many of our recent LB's that played in the 225-230 range. Such as Bell and Bowen.
Hopefully. Although both Bell and Bowen both came in heavier than Miller and as linebackers. Bowen gained 26 pounds. Bell gained 18 pounds. Miller has gained 27 pounds so far. So he's making good progress.

Did the training table shut down for a few months? Seems like many kids dropped weight and that's okay if it is what the staff wants. Seems odd though to see guys like Windsor, Givens and Cameron Brown losing weight.

Givens appears not only very quick on the 1st move but then fast as he gains position and then can shoot by a larger OL, at times anyway. No one consistently beats the OL or at least rarely do they dominate in this conf. of rather large OL-Guards vs DT's. Kevin Givens provides a speed rush DT or DE. Versatile. Not a Goal Line Stand type but a 2nd & 3rd & long DT/DE.
Agree on all points. But Givens needs to become a much better tackler. For every play he blew up in the backfield last year - and there were many - I would guess he made the tackle 25% of the time.

Hopefully. Although both Bell and Bowen both came in heavier than Miller and as linebackers. Bowen gained 26 pounds. Bell gained 18 pounds. Miller has gained 27 pounds so far. So he's making good progress.

Miller now listed at 215. 27 lbs? You must believe he came in at 188.

From Miller's profile as a recruit:
https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/Season/2015-Football/Commits
1_2941818.jpg

Jarvis MillerSuffield (Suffield, CT)

• S
  • 6-1
From the 2015 Roster available on nittanyanthology.com
#14 MILLER Jarvis SS 6-2 198 Fr

Looks like he came to PSU near 200 lbs, and has been practicing at LB (where obviously he needs more size) for a year and a half? Some players can add good weight faster than others......

Miller now listed at 215. 27 lbs? You must believe he came in at 188.

From Miller's profile as a recruit:
https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/Season/2015-Football/Commits
1_2941818.jpg

Jarvis MillerSuffield (Suffield, CT)

• S
  • 6-1
From the 2015 Roster available on nittanyanthology.com
#14 MILLER Jarvis SS 6-2 198 Fr

Looks like he came to PSU near 200 lbs, and has been practicing at LB (where obviously he needs more size) for a year and a half? Some players can add good weight faster than others......
Looks like he was 188 during his senior year of high school.

PLAYER BACKGROUND

Jarvis Miller is a 6-2, 188-pound Safety from Suffield, Conn. He finished third at the NIKE SPARQ Combine in New Jersey in February, 2013. He finished with a SPARQ rating of 92.37.

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/20...ceiver-junior-day-first-commit-james-franklin

With the all extra running, training, and lifting, I would expect individuals to lose weight, but are yet gaining much muscle. It will be interesting to see the weights in the fall roster, where the players will be putting on more weight. In other words, I wouldn't read too much into weights at this point, except where individuals are really low for the position.

+100

yeah...and like Aaron Donald, they are short and fast...so they carry their weight as part of a low center of gravity. Perhaps the days of the lumbering 6-5, 325lb DT is over.

ADVERTISEMENT