ADVERTISEMENT

Update on my wife's battle with cancer

PSU Soupy

Aug 3, 2008
For the past couple of years I have been updating the board on a metatastisis of my wife's eye cancer. She had the eye cancer 16 years ago......no metatastisis until 2 years ago when it showed up on her yearly scans...(always a nervous time). She passed away two weeks ago after battling the cancer by going from TN to Philadelphia weekly for about 1 year. I accompanied her about 2/3rd of the trips....stayed in the houses of friends from PSU. She was very brave, very strong in fighting but in the end the disease is practically undefeated once it metastisizes.........

I watched pieces of the U of M game with a house full of people for a wake after a mass at our church the day before. I also watched pieces of the second half of the Rutgers game from a restaraunt in PA where we took my wife to be buried next to her father.

I enjoyed watching the little that i got to watch.....it was surreal as the game just did not come close to mattering to me as it has for the past 30 years....due to what I was dealing with, with regard to paying respect to my wife's wishes and being strong for my 3 kids. My wife died at 55 years of age......we would have retired in the past couple of years....but needed the insurance to pay for her experimental treatments.

I spoke at her funeral in our home church in TN and ended with "I will really miss her, and I certainly loved her.....but more importantly, I really liked her."
--------------------
The planning tasks are over......now it is getting on with living and must continue to be strong for my kids........it is a challenge. I will get through but it will be difficult.

Don't procrastinate. You never know how much time that you have. My wife lived 100 miles an hour almost as if she had a premonition that she did not have as much time as most.

PSU Soupy. PSU Graduate 1986.

Last edited:
For the past couple of years I have been updating the board on a metatastisis of my wife's eye cancer. She had the eye cancer 16 years ago......no metatastisis unti 2 years ago when it showed up on her yearly scans...(always a nervous time). She passed away two weeks ago after battling the cancer by going from TN to Philadelphia weekly for about 1 year. I accompanied her about 2/3rd of the trips....stayed in the houses of friends from PSU. She was very brave, very strong in fighting but in the end the disease is practically undefeated once it metastisizes.........

I watched pieces of the U of M game with a house full of people for a wake after a mass at our church the day before. I also watched pieces of the second half of the Rutgers game from a restaraunt in PA where we took my wife to be buried next to her father.

I enjoyed watching the little that i got to watch.....it was surreal as the game just did not come close to mattering to me as it has for the past 30 years....due to what I was dealing with, with regard to paying respect to my wife's wishes and being strong for my 3 kids. My wife died at 55 years of age......we would have retired in the past couple of years....but needed the insurance to pay for her experimental treatments.

I spoke at her funeral in our home church in TN and ended with "I will really miss her, as I certainly loved her.....but more importantly, I really liked her."
--------------------
The planning tasks are over......now it is getting on with living and must continue to be strong for my kids........it is a challenge. I will get through but it will be difficult.

Don't procrastinate. You never know how much time that you have. My wife lived 100 miles an hour almost as if she had a premonition that she did not have as much time as most.

Godspeed...may she rest in peace.

Prayers are with you. You have our deepest sympathies. God bless your wife for her brave fight. I am about 12 years your senior and have battled 2 cancers and at my age have friends doing the same. Even when the news is good you know the next check up might be different. Your advice is spot on. Go for it every minute of everyday. As an aside I kind of quit watching football except on replay. With all the struggles out there in the world I found it really stupid to be so emotionally tied to PSU football but I can’t help myself. Life is simply too short. One day at a time remember the good times.

Prayers are with you. You have our deepest sympathies. God bless your wife for her brave fight. I am about 12 years your senior and have battled 2 cancers and at my age have friends doing the same. Even when the news is good you know the next check up might be different. Your advice is spot on. Go for it every minute of everyday. As an aside I kind of quit watching football except on replay. With all the struggles out there in the world I found it really stupid to be so emotionally tied to PSU football but I can’t help myself. Life is simply too short. One day at a time remember the good times.
Stay strong and may the Lord bless you and keep you. Keep fighting! Regarding PSU - I too have a similar pattern as you described.

My deepest, most sincere condolences on your loss, my PSU brother (PSU ‘88). My wife (PSU ‘89) successfully fought a very aggressive type of breast cancer in 2013-2014 and has been cancer-free for 7 years. Her experience has profoundly changed how we see, value, and live life. Stay strong and We Are!!

For the past couple of years I have been updating the board on a metatastisis of my wife's eye cancer. She had the eye cancer 16 years ago......no metatastisis unti 2 years ago when it showed up on her yearly scans...(always a nervous time). She passed away two weeks ago after battling the cancer by going from TN to Philadelphia weekly for about 1 year. I accompanied her about 2/3rd of the trips....stayed in the houses of friends from PSU. She was very brave, very strong in fighting but in the end the disease is practically undefeated once it metastisizes.........

I spoke at her funeral in our home church in TN and ended with "I will really miss her, as I certainly loved her.....but more importantly, I really liked her."
--------------------

My dear friend, I don't know where or even how to begin....but here goes.
I lost my wife at age 59 to cancer 12 years, 1 month and 13 days ago. Your experience is all too familiar....right down to the planning of the final devotions.
You are correct in declaring that you will get through it, but you will never get over it. Just this week a twitter friend posted this: "You'll get over it......it's the cliches that cause the trouble. To lose someone you love is to alter your life forever. You don't get over it because "it" is the person you loved. The pain my subside at times, you will meet new people, but the gap never closes. How could it? The particularness of someone who mattered enough to grieve over is not made anodyne by death. This hole in my heart is the the shape of you and no one else can fit it. Why would I want them to?
Yes there is a special loneliness when the "one" you loved is no longer on this earth. The little things will be difficult....arriving at family gathering and leaving alone. You will find yourself instinctively looking at the empty passenger seat, somehow hoping that this is all a bad dream. I didn't realize what a big part of my "identity" she was. My wife was my wing person. Every holiday every birthday of your children will force you to mourn what she is missing. You are now the keeper of her memory. Be sure to talk of her as if she will be coming home soon. Spend every moment you can with your children, because it will reassure you that you had a special life that will carry on through them. I feel most normal when I'm with our boys (now grown men of 38 and 40). I even sleep well. I tried starting new traditions with them, as I couldn't bare to try to duplicate her special touch during the holidays etc. Most of all don't let anyone tell you to move on. Go at your own pace and believe me grief is unique to each person.
You have many friends here. The football stuff is really just bs. I will pray for you and the soul of your beautiful wife, God bless you and your children.

God Bless you PSU Friend. I wish you well in your time of trouble and hope the memory of your wife serves as strength to get you through your most difficult time. I know we never met, but we have a lot in common. My wife is a huge part of my life as are my boys, and we are all part of the Penn State Family. I wish you well and God Bless

Scott M
Class of '92

--------------------

So sorry to hear this Soupy. I don’t even know what to say. We’ll keep her and your family in our prayers.

You know you can always vent here. This board has experts (or people who think they’re experts) on everything. ;)

I lost my wife at age 59 to cancer 12 years, 1 month and 13 days ago. Your experience is all too familiar....right down to the planning of the final devotions.
You are correct in declaring that you will get through it, but you will never get over it. Just this week a twitter friend posted this: "You'll get over it......it's the cliches that cause the trouble. To lose someone you love is to alter your life forever. You don't get over it because "it" is the person you loved. The pain my subside at times, you will meet new people, but the gap never closes. How could it? The particularness of someone who mattered enough to grieve over is not made anodyne by death. This hole in my heart is the the shape of you and no one else can fit it. Why would I want them to?
Yes there is a special loneliness when the "one" you loved is no longer on this earth. The little things will be difficult....arriving at family gathering and leaving alone. You will find yourself instinctively looking at the empty passenger seat, somehow hoping that this is all a bad dream. I didn't realize what a big part of my "identity" she was. My wife was my wing person. Every holiday every birthday of your children will force you to mourn what she is missing. You are now the keeper of her memory. Be sure to talk of her as if she will be coming home soon. Spend every moment you can with your children, because it will reassure you that you had a special life that will carry on through them. I feel most normal when I'm with our boys (now grown men of 38 and 40). I even sleep well. I tried starting new traditions with them, as I couldn't bare to try to duplicate her special touch during the holidays etc. Most of all don't let anyone tell you to move on. Go at your own pace and believe me grief is unique to each person.
You have many friends here. The football stuff is really just bs. I will pray for you and the soul of your beautiful wife, God bless you and your children.
Well said Marshall.

--------------------

I’m so sorry for your loss Soupy. You and your family will be in my prayers. Cherish those memories that you all had together.

--------------------

So sorry to hear, @PSU Soupy . My deepest condolences. Take some time to morn..it is natural and needed. Everyone is different. Life will be good, you just need to give it some time. It is a heck of a shock and quite an adjustment. Then turn the page and live again when you are ready.

My sister went out for a hike with her husband, both in their early 60s and recently retired. Miles from civilization, he had a heart attack and died. She had no cell phone coverage. She tried to turn him over and revive him. Then, failing that, she had to hike three miles to get cell coverage. She waited over an hour for an ambulance and then three hours to get the body back to the road. A different ordeal but horrific. It took her a year and for her, life is different. There isn't a day where she doesn't miss him but she is surrounded by family and friends. She takes an annual bike trip. One was Washington DC to Pittsburgh. Anther was a river cruise in Germany where they dropped her and her friends off after breakfast at met them X kilometers up river for dinner.

Anyway, best of luck and prayers moving forward.

So sorry to hear, @PSU Soupy . My deepest condolences. Take some time to morn..it is natural and needed. Everyone is different. Life will be good, you just need to give it some time. It is a heck of a shock and quite an adjustment. Then turn the page and live again when you are ready.

My sister went out for a hike with her husband, both in their early 60s and recently retired. Miles from civilization, he had a heart attack and died. She had no cell phone coverage. She tried to turn him over and revive him. Then, failing that, she had to hike three miles to get cell coverage. She waited over an hour for an ambulance and then three hours to get the body back to the road. A different ordeal but horrific. It took her a year and for her, life is different. There isn't a day where she doesn't miss him but she is surrounded by family and friends. She takes an annual bike trip. One was Washington DC to Pittsburgh. Anther was a river cruise in Germany where they dropped her and her friends off after breakfast at met them X kilometers up river for dinner.

Anyway, best of luck and prayers moving forward.
Beautiful sentiment about your wife; you have had a lifetime of memories. When Billy Graham passed his son said, one day we will all be together in heaven.
I'm a good bit older than you but we have started a similar journey, my wife was recently diagnosed and has begun treatment.

What a tremendous reply. Thank you from the bottom of my broken heart.
God bless you.

What a tremendous reply. Thank you from the bottom of my broken heart.
God bless you.
Please feel free to reach out at any time. We are all members of a club that no one ever wanted to join. Don't let anyone tell you how you should feel, what you must do etc. Trust your instincts, lick your wounds and reshape your life at your pace.
I have a brother who is 7 years older. He and his wife were my confidants when I lost Sandy, I would drive to Bucks County once a month and end up sobbing at their kitchen table. They made me feel comfortable talking about my feelings.....even though I'm sure they didn't understand.
Last Oct. my sister in law passed away from ALS....married 57 years my brother sadly is now understanding "the language" I've spoken for over 12 years. There are no words, no shortcuts, put one foot in front of the other.

--------------------

Praying for you try to hang in there.

Praying for you try to hang in there.
Soupy , the tears I have from reading your story and the words you said about her at the service are small in volume compared to yours. But now I’ll be sure to leave nothing unsaid to my wife…who is battling cancer now.
Special prayers to your family, especially on Thursday…..and every other “first”. Be strong for your kids, but reach out when needed.

Soupy , the tears I have from reading your story and the words you said about her at the service are small in volume compared to yours. But now I’ll be sure to leave nothing unsaid to my wife…who is battling cancer now.
Special prayers to your family, especially on Thursday…..and every other “first”. Be strong for your kids, but reach out when needed.
Be open with your wife.....tell her how you really feel.

I met my wife at a WVU vs. PSU game in Morgantown that I went to on a lark.....and I landed the biggest prize of my life.

My wife was beautiful, smart (2 graduate degrees), an artist, a green thumb, a professional level horse rider, a wood worker.......... and so much fun. I did tell her how I felt.....but still so much unsaid....still so much undone.

If your wife is ok to travel.....do it. Do not wait for the perfect time to go somewhere....it may not come.

Last edited:
For the past couple of years I have been updating the board on a metatastisis of my wife's eye cancer. She had the eye cancer 16 years ago......no metatastisis until 2 years ago when it showed up on her yearly scans...(always a nervous time). She passed away two weeks ago after battling the cancer by going from TN to Philadelphia weekly for about 1 year. I accompanied her about 2/3rd of the trips....stayed in the houses of friends from PSU. She was very brave, very strong in fighting but in the end the disease is practically undefeated once it metastisizes.........

--------------------

There are no words just so sorry for your loss

Deepest prayers sent. It sounds like a love story fot the ages. I'm a 62 year old bachelor and could only dream of your friendship that you and your wife achieved.
On another note: I have been cancer free for 2 years. It changed my life. No hate. Drama, angst. Fret, anxiety I only look for goodness in others and surround myself with those that mean so much to me.
May you be blessed.

Deepest prayers sent. It sounds like a love story fot the ages. I'm a 62 year old bachelor and could only dream of your friendship that you and your wife achieved.
On another note: I have been cancer free for 2 years. It changed my life. No hate. Drama, angst. Fret, anxiety I only look for goodness in others and surround myself with those that mean so much to me.
May you be blessed.
I aspire to be no hate, no drama....etc.....looking for goodness. I have a lot of growth in this area...but I do want to be in the space that you are currently in.....

Good for you being cancer free....... anyone that beats cancer is my hero.....it is like beating water getting into your basement....it is relentless.

God bless.

Soupy...my heartfelt condolences. It sounds like she fought the battle with your unending support and love.

My prayers are for her, you and your family. May our good and loving God embrace you in his arms.

She'll watch over you and your children! I just read this article that was about nurses who took care of patients in their final hours. Because of some of the things that they heard/witnessed, the nurses were convinced the folks were being welcomed by loved ones, and indeed, there is life after death. It convinced me, to the point where it was kind of scary!

Soupy: Heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

I hope you win the Powerball Lottery and your kids all marry well. That won't come close to making up for your wife's loss, but I want to hope that the worm turns and you now experience some really positive things in your life.

Soupy— we are all praying for you and your family. As someone researching treatments for choroidal melanoma, I know you did everything humanly possible in 2021 to save your wife. We desperately need more breakthroughs. God Bless— know that you have a band of supporters here who all share love of family and our college. Class of 82.

I spoke at her funeral in our home church in TN and ended with "I will really miss her, and I certainly loved her.....but more importantly, I really liked her."
--------------------

Soupy, I'm terribly sorry about the loss of the person who was the center of your life. It doesn't get tougher than that.

It hits home because my Dad died young (41) of cancer, right before Christmas in fact, and I witnessed close-hand the devastating impact on my Mom. Only her faith saved her.

I can't improve on the beautiful responses of so many here. Hang in there and please know that we're praying for the both of you and for your family.

--------------------

Pray for strength.

--------------------

I’m glad you have such wonderful memories. She sounds like she was a really great girl. 1986 sounds like it was yesterday.

May God Bless your wife, you, and your entire family. You are all in my prayers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT