ADVERTISEMENT

upcoming matches for the Nittany Lions

The whole argument is moot because the situation is the polar opposite. 2022 is Iowa's strongest team projected for the next few years. It is now or never. That was not the case for PSU in 2015.
So Ayala will have his shirt pulled without a doubt. It makes sense for everyone but Ayala, but I doubt he wants to sit this one out. If he kept the red shirt, he would be a force for the next 4 years at 125/133. Now he'll be a force for the following three years, whether that is 2023-2025 or 2024-2026.
It also sucks for the other 125 lber that had his shirt pulled to pinch hit for Lee and now probably will not get any more starts. Just looked him up, Jesse Ybarra.

Beards situation is worse than Ybarra, not even close.

IMO Spencer Lee will be back at 125 next year going for number four, Ayala will redshirt. Ayala not competing attached this year would be a waste of eligibility.

Reactions: baccafarmer
The whole argument is moot because the situation is the polar opposite. 2022 is Iowa's strongest team projected for the next few years. It is now or never. That was not the case for PSU in 2015.
So Ayala will have his shirt pulled without a doubt. It makes sense for everyone but Ayala, but I doubt he wants to sit this one out. If he kept the red shirt, he would be a force for the next 4 years at 125/133. Now he'll be a force for the following three years, whether that is 2023-2025 or 2024-2026.
The kid might just be a legitimate force this year. The 125 pounder at Iowa is generally coached up really well. Now, despite not being able to get on the mat, Spencer will watching and constantly in the kid's ear which I have to believe adds to what is an already successful formula.

IMO Spencer Lee will be back at 125 next year going for number four, Ayala will redshirt. Ayala not competing attached this year would be a waste of eligibility.
I know we have a secret military base HQ at Penn State when it comes to privacy and information out of the wrestling room. But Beards injury at Scuffle did not look great, and almost makes me believe (thru my small amount of medical knowledge) that he/the Team may be looking at a medical RS this year.

Reactions: Dogwelder

I suspect Ybarra may be in the portal at year's end. If not his days starting for Iowa have ended with the few fill in matches for Spencer he provided this year. He is a good wrestler but nowhere near the level as Ayala.

I suspect Ybarra may be in the portal at year's end. If not his days starting for Iowa have ended with the few fill in matches for Spencer he provided this year. He is a good wrestler but nowhere near the level as Ayala.
If he wasn't ever going to beat Ayala, wasn't the best he could hope for "a few fill in matches for Spencer this year"?

I didn’t mean it would be because he didn’t want to be a hypocrite; I meant because he meant it when he said it - that he wouldn’t redshirt guys if it meant it wasn’t his best team.
Come on man I was going for the swipe quit staaaaaaalling

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
I know we have a secret military base HQ at Penn State when it comes to privacy and information out of the wrestling room. But Beards injury at Scuffle did not look great, and almost makes me believe (thru my small amount of medical knowledge) that he/the Team may be looking at a medical RS this year.
Grayshirt, redshirt, covidshirt, medshirt?

Not that it changes all that much, but I can’t imagine Spencer wrestling a full schedule next year either. With Ayala in redshirt Ybarra could probably start a handful of duals next year as well. Maybe that is enough for him to stick around a bit longer.

PSU policy is masks in all buildings, though it is not enforced equally. Hockey it is enforced, wrestling not so much, not sure about Basketball. But I will find out since I will be at the Basketball game saturday.
Easy solution at basketball games: Purchase an overpriced Pepsi upon arrival and nurse it for two hours.

Easy solution at basketball games: Purchase an overpriced Pepsi upon arrival and nurse it for two hours.
Trust me I am aware. I was just surprised how militant they were at Hockey games compared to Wrestling meets. Though you were golden at Hockey if you had a seat in a box, they only cared about the cheap seats

SHUTOUT #1 for the weekend is in the books!

Will we see #2 tomorrow?

Notes from last night: Glad to see Hildebrandt in a PSU singlet, his opponent has been having a rough go at college wrestling, zero for 2021 & 22 ...
Young Tony has a really slick ankle pick - I'm hoping he's able to polish off more finishes moving forward!

Indiana took it on the chops last night against Rutgers - I'm leaning hard toward weekend shutout #2 with last nights line up ... Mr Washington gave Carter an L last season, the jump in weight to 184 might be harder than he thought with Brooks as his next opponent

I've been asking myself what match do I want to see most this year - it's definitely Max vs AJ ---

If he wasn't ever going to beat Ayala, wasn't the best he could hope for "a few fill in matches for Spencer this year"?
That assumes ayala and ybarra both are still at 125 in two years.

I don’t know when it was, but I recall Tom Brands taking a swipe at Cael saying something to the effect that he (Tom) would never redshirt his best team. It was a clear reference to PSU’s 2014-15 season.

I’d be shocked if Ayala wasn’t their starter going forward.
Yeah, yeah. Tell that to Virginia Tech with their 1-15 season with Tom in charge.

Ybarra was a big time recruit, believe he won WNO. But he doesn't have a path to the lineup ever at Iowa at this point. He's too talented to not start somewhere.

Reactions: mcpat
Ybarra was a big time recruit, believe he won WNO. But he doesn't have a path to the lineup ever at Iowa at this point. He's too talented to not start somewhere.
Well, don’t we kind of defend our talented second stringers for staying? As rough as this sport is, there is never zero chance of getting in there.

What’s our adage? “If I can’t win in this room . . .”? It would be presumptuous to think only PSU guys should have that attitude.
Just saying.🤷‍♂️

I’d like to respond but I dont understand what this means. Swiper no swipey.
He meant “don’t slow my roll”: :)

FVzsfsU.gif

Reactions: mcpat and danoftw
I’m glad you said that. I look at drake and see 133-141 after a year or two in the weight room.

EDIT: I’m still new to this; I missed the part where I reply to a JPW3 post so you can see what I’m responding to.

I’m glad you said that. I look at drake and see 133-141 after a year or two in the weight room.

EDIT: I’m still new to this; I missed the part where I reply to a JPW3 post so you can see what I’m responding to.
I think the problem might be on JPWs end. Instead of editing his post, he quoted it and then edited the quote. When you tried to quote his post, nothing showed up because you can’t quote a quote. There was nothing in the “body” of his last post.

Clear as mud?

Reactions: mcpat
ADVERTISEMENT