ADVERTISEMENT

UoM and / vs Harbaugh -- contract extension

osu68

Oct 19, 2007
An 'incentivized' contract means he must win the Big10 East (i.e. BEAT OHIO STATE and Penn State)!?

A new trend in coaching contracts?? Performance based??

An 'incentivized' contract means he must win the Big10 East (i.e. BEAT OHIO STATE and Penn State)!?

No, there will be KPIs related to the qualities of his sleepovers and booger eating.

Makes sense. Should have been that way all along. To get the salad you first need to produce the juice.

The good news is that Harbaugh will be staying at Michigan. The rest of the big ten east will be happy.

Everyone understands the mess that is the current Michigan- Harbaugh relationship. Harbaugh’s contract is almost up. UM needs to finalize a coach for recruiting- either fire Jimmy and move on or sign an extension.

They can spin it as a new ‘incentivized’ contract but the reality is that Harbaugh’s (apparently) taking a big pay cut and a lower buy out just to keep his job. This is Jimmy’s punishment for underperforming.

It seems to be a stop gap move by a university that doesn’t really know what direction it wants to go.

Last edited:
The good news is that Harbaugh will be staying at Michigan. The rest of the big ten east will be happy. ;)

Everyone understands the mess that is the current Michigan- Harbaugh relationship. Harbaugh’s contract is almost up. UM needs to finalize a coach for recruiting- either fire Jimmy and move on or sign an extension.

They can spin it as a new ‘incentivized’ contract but the reality is that Harbaugh’s (apparently) taking a big pay cut and a lower buy out just to keep his job. This is Jimmy’s punishment for underperforming.

It seems to be a stop gap move by a university that doesn’t really know what direction it wants to go.
It's hard to see it as anything else. I think both parties looked long and hard on Match.com, Tinder, etc. In the end, they didn't see anything better than the partner they currently have. For now.

This is hard to understand from Hairball's perspective. Just like Franklin is a good college coach and would likely do poorly in the NFL, Hairball is a lousy college coach but demonstrated that he is a good NFL coach. Then why wouldn't Hairball want to go back to the NFL where he is well suited for the job and would probably make more money to boot? This seems strange to me.

Yes and no. Those incentives are pretty much included in every contract. Where the difference may be here is how much money attaches to them. Usually, it's $100k here, $200k there.

Sounds like Harabugh's new deal make assign more money to performance, but it's not a given. I'd like to see it. May cause some other AD's to think. Now that would be a novelty.

This is hard to understand from Hairball's perspective. Just like Franklin is a good college coach and would likely do poorly in the NFL, Hairball is a lousy college coach but demonstrated that he is a good NFL coach. Then why wouldn't Hairball want to go back to the NFL where he is well suited for the job and would probably make more money to boot? This seems strange to me.
I’m surprised there wasn’t more Harbaugh to the NFL talk but you never know what family issues may be in play. His wife may love living in Ann Arbor rather than moving to Detroit or Cincinnati (or wherever). They may want more stability for their kids rather than jumping schools and leaving friends behind right now. The family aspect is always a wild card in these moves.

The good news is that Harbaugh will be staying at Michigan. The rest of the big ten east will be happy.

Well said.

Huge celebration tonight in downtown Columbus at Broad and High Streets. Starts at 7:00

Because he would last no more than 3 years in the NFL.

Takes two to dance. NFL wasn’t dancing, Jimmy on his knees. Don’t let this fool you, if/when an NFL team calls in the future, writing is on the wall. It’s a low buyout and easy for either party to walk away from. It’s like a married couple moving out during a separation, they may move back in, but it won’t last.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
At Michigan is it a 5 year contract or one year contract??

What is a 5 year contract with revised lower buy-out? Sound like a one year and gone Contract.;);)

What is a 5 year contract with revised lower buy-out? Sound like a one year and gone Contract.;);)

Costs Michigan $4mm if they fire Harbaugh this year. Goes down a mil per year in each subsequent year.

Pretty interesting contract. Harbaugh's guaranteed comp for each of the next five years goes from $4mm to $4.4mm.

Maximum bonus/incentive is $3.475mm p.a. Big items are winning the conference and national championship at $1mm each. Winning the division or making the CFP gets Harbaugh $500k each.

Huge celebration tonight in downtown Columbus at Broad and High Streets. Starts at 7:00

Why would they celebrate in Columbus? I thought Jimmy had the Wolverines poised to dominate the entire country starting next season.

Pretty interesting contract. Harbaugh's guaranteed comp for each of the next five years goes from $4mm to $4.4mm.

Maximum bonus/incentive is $3.475mm p.a. Big items are winning the conference and national championship at $1mm each. Winning the division or making the CFP gets Harbaugh $500k each.
I can’t fault UM for going that route. Based on the past five years, it seems like a big pay decrease in practice.

I can’t fault UM for going that route. Based on the past five years, it seems like a big pay decrease in practice.

Yeah, it seems that way. But look at it another way. Harbaugh (and coaches paid similar amounts) was being paid like a coach who was expected to challenge and win championships. And for five of his six years at Michigan he's fallen woefully short.

I think it was a good idea on Michigan's part to tie compensation to performance (the alternative was to can Harbaugh and climb on the coaching merry-go-round). More schools should do that. And if Harbaugh doesn't produce he can still take home $4mm as consolation.

Reactions: WestSideLion
Michigan under Jimmy the H... where doing less with more is elevated to art form (thinking Marx brothers cuz this act is hilarious). He will continue to attract tremendous talent... he will continue to do really stupid things.. he will continue to talk a brave game... and project his team into talk of a MNC.

...and he will continue to finish in 3rd place (or thereabouts) and lose to osu (once covid is lifted, he's back to his old ways).

I used to fear that JH would take michigan and drive them past all of us to top 5 finishes ad infinitum. Time passed... reality set in... and now I can settle back and smile knowing UM just hosed themselves for another 5 years.

Where have you gone, Don "the great one" Brown?

Yeah, it seems that way. But look at it another way. Harbaugh (and coaches paid similar amounts) was being paid like a coach who was expected to challenge and win championships. And for five of his six years at Michigan he's fallen woefully short.

I think it was a good idea on Michigan's part to tie compensation to performance (the alternative was to can Harbaugh and climb on the coaching merry-go-round). More schools should do that. And if Harbaugh doesn't produce he can still take home $4mm as consolation.
The B1G outside of Ohio St should consider following suit. Because when guys are paid in the Saban, Dabo and Urbs range, they really should be in that CFB convo every year. Losing (most of) a year of revenues is going to loom large for just about any athletic dept. If a coaching staff isn’t at the absolute pinnacle, it will be a lot harder to justify $5-6-7 million a year.

Primary goal: get an extension done for recruiting purposes
secondary goal: easy out for both sides

Harbaugh is a good coach. Is he the problem or is it Michigan? Recent history would tend to tell us it's Michigan. People have fun here with Jimmer. He's been a pretty damn successful coach everywhere else he's gone. Not to mention a long NFL playing career.
Marriages don't always work out.....even when 2 people have the best of intentions.
He's a very, very rich man. But, a failure to the tycoons here. ;)

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT