ADVERTISEMENT

unsportsmanlike

bkmtnittany1

Jan 12, 2014
on #69...happened in my endzone but did not see it...was it legit? Also, how the hell does a dlineman get a holding call on a 3rd and 2 run....it almost felt like witvoet and Oneal were at the game...

We are back in the poor graces of the refs. O$U and Michigan are having good seasons, so the "big" game has the potential to be "big" again. Don't expect any favors when we visit Ann Arbor.

Reactions: HazletonLion
I did see 69 take a swipe at the MSU player. Others stated he kicked him too, but didn't see that personally.

I think the guy was laying on his ankles and perhaps doing something under pile to Thorpe and then Thorpe got upset

Reactions: FHSPSU67
on #69...happened in my endzone but did not see it...was it legit? Also, how the hell does a dlineman get a holding call on a 3rd and 2 run....it almost felt like witvoet and Oneal were at the game...
Absolutely no possible explanation for that call. Worst call I’ve seen in years.

I think the guy was laying on his ankles and perhaps doing something under pile to Thorpe and then Thorpe got upset
Maybe the replay didn't show all of what happened but all I could see was the Mich St player as the aggressor. Have to try to rewatch

Thorpe had a reputation in high school of being ultra aggressive, even after the whistle. He took a lot of 15-yard penalties in high school too. I would imagine we’ll see another before his career is over. One of those guys that you take the bad with the good.

Reactions: Meteor-Lion
Maybe the replay didn't show all of what happened but all I could see was the Mich St player as the aggressor. Have to try to rewatch

There was one long range replay into the end zone - looked like C J retaliated, but that is who gets caught. Amazed there wasn’t multiple views shown, but that wasn’t the narrative.

Absolutely no possible explanation for that call. Worst call I’ve seen in years.
Obviously won’t be a popular opinion, but it was holding (and clearly not the “worst call in years”). Windsor still was tugging the jersey after they had disengaged. Unfortunately, not much traffic to block it and the Umpire was looking right at it.

Reactions: DSCP
MSU o line could have been called for holding on every snap. That being said their o line #64 should have been flagged at least three times for cheap shots / late hits. Refs came and talked to him twice but didn’t gifted him a clean pass.

CJ smacked him in the helmet after he himself got planted on his back.

Reactions: m.knox
What about the incomplete backwards pass?
Yeah, that seemed like complete BS. If it was backwards then it doesn’t matter whether it was completed or not. They never showed an angle on TV that indicated clearly whether it was forward or back, but it sure seemed like it went out of bounds behind where it was throw.

Since this is a thread about officiating, did anyone in another thread notice that MSU had a player go down with injury twice in their final drive? One was the same who caught the winning TD.

LdN

Since this is a thread about officiating, did anyone in another thread notice that MSU had a player go down with injury twice in their final drive? One was the same who caught the winning TD.

LdN
Looked like he had the wind knocked out of him when he landed on his back on the MSU sideline.

Reactions: BBrown
Yeah, that seemed like complete BS. If it was backwards then it doesn’t matter whether it was completed or not. They never showed an angle on TV that indicated clearly whether it was forward or back, but it sure seemed like it went out of bounds behind where it was throw.
Doesn’t matter if it eventually went forward or backwards...by rule, that type of play is an incomplete pass (assuming that the QB did have control of it so that it wasn’t a fumble).

BTW Replay clearly showed that Miles Sanders fumbled. The ball was out before his knee hit the ground and it was not reviewed. You can’t forget about the calls that go in your favor .
I couldn’t see his left knee. To me it looked like that one could have been down. Either way, with the view of that knee blocked, I thought the call would “stand” if reviewed.

Reactions: Nittlionfan1991
BTW Replay clearly showed that Miles Sanders fumbled. The ball was out before his knee hit the ground and it was not reviewed. You can’t forget about the calls that go in your favor .

Who said I forgot about that play? Not sure there was enough to overturn, regardless they got the next snap off in time.

Reactions: DSCP
Who said I forgot about that play? Not sure there was enough to overturn, regardless they got the next snap off in time.
They snapped the ball with 1-2 seconds left on play clock .... it almost seemed like PSU was giving the booth all the time they needed to buzz the Ref

The knee you could see was not down. His left knee was hidden but that shin was on the ground. Not a fumble.

CJ did throw a punch. After he got hit in the face by the MSU lineman. But the retaliation always gets caught

Obviously won’t be a popular opinion, but it was holding (and clearly not the “worst call in years”). Windsor still was tugging the jersey after they had disengaged. Unfortunately, not much traffic to block it and the Umpire was looking right at it.

No. It was a horrific call. That happens every single play.

I’ve seen that called maybe two or 3 times . And every time it was a clear case of the OL trying to pull or get to the LB with out engaging the DL. That’s not what happened here. It was aggregious and disgraceful

The explanation for no 10 second run off is ridiculous. It doesn’t apply if there is a first down on the play??
The play on the sideline was incomplete, so no runoff. The play over the middle was a first down, so clock starts on the ready for play (same as any first down, but in addition to chains being set, injured player also has to be off the field).

CJ did throw a punch. After he got hit in the face by the MSU lineman. But the retaliation always gets caught
It looked like #64 of MSU tried to gouge his eyes thru the face mask. Judging by CJ's reaction, he might have been successful in that attempt.

No. It was a horrific call. That happens every single play.

I’ve seen that called maybe two or 3 times . And every time it was a clear case of the OL trying to pull or get to the LB with out engaging the DL. That’s not what happened here. It was aggregious and disgraceful
He was pulling the jersey right in front of the umpire. Sure, it’s something that could be called often, but the in this instance, the umpire had a clear view of it. You can get away with it while engaged, but it became clearer when it continued after they disengaged.

He was pulling the jersey right in front of the umpire. Sure, it’s something that could be called often, but the in this instance, the Unpire had a clear view of it.

He has a clear view of it every single play.l, as it happens every single play. What he didn’t see was a DL preventing the OL from pulling. Which is when it’s called

He has a clear view of it every single play.l, as it happens every single play. What he didn’t see was a DL preventing the OL from pulling. Which is when it’s called

Here is a screen grab of the end of it.

Bullsh!t call.

The play on the sideline was incomplete, so no runoff. The play over the middle was a first down, so clock starts on the ready for play (same as any first down, but in addition to chains being set, injured player also has to be off the field).
Not what I mean. The NCAA added a 10 second runoff for injury stoppages late in the game like inside two minutes, last year which was to avoid the fake injury. Refs aren’t supposed to judge injury or not. If no Ten second run off then a timeout would be assess. Neither happened as far as I could tell...

Not what I mean. The NCAA added a 10 second runoff for injury stoppages late in the game like inside two minutes, last year which was to avoid the fake injury. Refs aren’t supposed to judge injury or not. If no Ten second run off then a timeout would be assess. Neither happened as far as I could tell...
That applies if the clock is still running as the play concludes. It doesn’t apply to first downs, incomplete passes, going out of bounds, penalties, etc.

This is what I saw as well. Thorpe needs to show more restraint there, but when someone is "giving you the business" on the ground, it's tough not to push back.

There at least is some justification for that, not a great justification but something. The holding was the most blatant example of biased officiating I’ve seen in a long time.
Anyone have a video of the ‘hold’. I musta been taking a leak (as usual).

ADVERTISEMENT