ADVERTISEMENT

Unsolicited NCAA Preview

BHF23

Oct 28, 2005
You remind me of my wife. All of you. Well, at least in one way: None of you care what I think. (Some may also have a mustache, but that’s another story for another day.) Nonetheless, I will not be deterred from offering my second annual (?) preview of the NCAA wrestling championships. As I did last year, noting that injury information is difficult to pry out of wrestlers and coaches, I treat them like any self-respecting journalist would: with reckless speculation.

In a field comprised 9.1% by Rodriguezes and no more than about 3% by anybody else, undefeated and #1 seeded Gilman (IOWA) stands out as a clear favorite. The experienced and dangerous Dance (VT) checks in at #2, having lost only once, to #4 Cruz (LEH). Ranked #2 until splitting an infinitive in the NWCA championship against OKST, #3 seed Suriano (PSU) is a sad last minute scratch. Would have picked him to probably have wrestled Saturday night without the darned split infinitive (extra credit to those of you who got that one). #11 Terao (AMER) is a sleeper here; he could face the clingy #6 Lizak (MINN) in round two in the Suriano quarter. #8 Piccininni (OKST) has a tough road: Oliver (IND) first, followed by a possible rematch of the Big 12 finals vs. #9 J. Rodriguez (NDST). If he survives that, he’s got a Gilman roadblock in the quarters. (Too late for me to change anything now; if they juggle the brackets…well, this will be the first of many mistakes in this preview.)

Prediction: 1. Gilman (IOWA); 2 Dance (VT); 3. Cruz (LEH); 4. Terao (AMER); 5. Rodriguez (NDST); 6. Lambert (NEB); 7. Fausz (NCST); 8. Lizak (MINN)

Could see any of the top 5 making it through here. First of several potential key IOWA-tOSU contests looms, as #4 Clark (IOWA) looks to give #1 Tomasello (tOSU) the old “Iowa Perfecta,” an unceremonious semifinal booting for the second year in a row (Gilman at 125 in 2016), but will have to get by the talented #5 Micic (MICH) in the quarters to get there. IOWA fans have probably forgotten all about #2 Gross (SDST) by now, but he’s pretty good, owning two wins over #3 Brock (OKST), with only a 2-0 SV loss to #7 Montoya (a potential quarterfinal opponent) between him and an undefeated season. They might meet again in the semifinals, and they say it’s tough to beat the same opponent three times in a row. Of course, it’s impossible to beat the same opponent three times in a row if you haven’t already beaten him twice in row. (Hey…where else are you gonna find wisdom like that?) Couldn’t come up with a great sleeper pick here…maybe the #8 Richards (ILL)-#9 Parker (LEH) winner, if you can call that a sleeper. Deep class for a guy like Richards to be a #8. Huge implications for the team race at this PSU-bereft weight, with three contending teams represented in the top 4 seeds. I don’t know…I have this feeling in my gut about Clark. (Of course, it could just be gas.) He might still be something less than 100% (dangling participle), but he looked darn good at the Big Tens. He might have to get through Micic, Tomasello and Gross/Brock to get there but…. (Mom, maybe you’d better take my gambling money away now.)

Prediction: 1.Clark (IOWA); 2.Gross (SDSU); 3.Tomasello (tOSU); 4.Micic (MICH); 5.Brock (OKST); 6.Montoya (NEB); 7.Richards (ILL); 8. Parker (LEH)

A: “34 and counting”

Q: “How many times a man gotta pin a man ‘til a ref slaps a mat up in here?”

Heil (OKST) is the defending national champion, and undefeated…sort of…this year. Watching the Gulibon (PSU)-Heil match unfold, I was struck by one thought: Heil must have pictures of this ref co-starring in a Tijuana donkey show. That’s ridiculous, of course. After all, whatever a well-respected American wrestling referee and a consenting four-legged beast of burden decide to do in the semi-privacy of a hole-in-the-wall Mexican bar could not possibly be as shameful as the display that ref put on in the Gulibon-Heil match. Next thought: “Wait a minute…I’ve seen this act before!” (The wrestling, not the donkey show.) Yes, I was there live at the Southern Scuffle in Chattanooga on January 2 when…DiCamillo (UVA)-Heil…Same flippin’ thing! Over the last two years, Heil has had more close shaves than Gillette, tight victories out the wazoo, and scapulae testing positive for Resilite post-match on multiple occasions. Oh yeah…he’s got some pictures of someone, all right. The top five here…#2 Jack (NCST), #3 McKenna (STAN), #4 Kolodzik (PRIN), and #5 Ashnault (RUT)…have lost only to each other, and there’s depth behind them, with #6 DiCamillo, #7 Ward (UNC), last year’s runnerup #8 Meredith (WYO)). Pletcher (tOSU) and Carton (IOWA) could meet early on the backside if seeds hold. Gulibon (PSU)? I have no idea, either. In 2016, I foolishly picked Jack to step to the top of the podium. After Heil justified his #1 seed in the finals, I vowed I would never doubt him again. Tough in all positions…been there before…always finds a way. Eight of his 27 wins were by two points or fewer, with another four by three. And then there are those pictures. Probably videos. Heil to win. And one day be President.

Prediction: 1. Heil (OKST); 2. Jack (NCST); 3. Kolodzik (PRIN); 4. Ashnault (RUT); 5. McKenna (STAN); 6. Ward (UNC); 7. McCrystal (NEB); 8. Cruz (LEH)

Results of close matches with #2 Collica (OKST) and #5 Sorensen (IOWA) suggest that the field has closed the gap on undefeated, defending champion and #1 seed Retherford (PSU). Yep, results might suggest it. But I sure as heck won’t. I don’t want the guy cranking on my shoulder like it’s a water pump in some remote village in Africa or something. I’ve got enough salespeople banging on my front door now; I don’t need a bunch of thirsty villagers with empty water buckets lining up behind them. Look at the top five seeds here…representing PSU, OKST, MIZZ, tOSU and IOWA. Think this could mix up the team standings a little bit? Think Sorensen and #4 Jordan (tOSU) are singing a happy tune…well, probably separate happy tunes…about those 4 and 5 seeds? (Especially Jordan, who’s been run over by the Zain Train twice, to the tune of 36-6 this year. And actually looked pretty good doing it.) Yeah, me neither.

Prediction: 1. Retherford (PSU); 2. Collica (OKST); 3. Sorensen (IOWA); 4. Jordan (tOSU); 5. Mayes (MIZZ); 6. Chishko (VT); 7. Thomsen (UNI); 8. Bleise (NIU)

#1 Nolf (PSU) is the heavy favorite here, having knocked off #2 Kemerer (IOWA) twice by regular, but comfortable decisions in a dual meet and the conference finals. #5 Smith (OKST) pulled it together at the right time, breezing through the Big 12 championships without surrendering a point. Those three will help their schools create distance from/gain ground on their chief competitor, since Ryan (tOSU), per his custom, will not be wrestling. A possible #7 Palacio (COR)-Kemerer semifinal would be interesting, #3 Lavallee (MIZZ) was a quiet 25-1, and watch out for sleeper #11 Parsons (ARMY), who has lost only once since falling to Nolf in November. Well, three times if you want to be technical…but two of those were in the Las Vegas Invitational. And as we all know, what happens in Vegas……

Prediction: 1. Nolf (PSU); 2. Kemerer (IOWA); 3. Palacio (COR); 4. Lavallee (MIZZ); 5. Smith (OKST); 6. Berger (NEB); 7. Parsons (ARMY); 8. Clagon (RID)

Two-time NCAA champion, undefeated and the #1 seed, Martinez (ILL) faced pretty reasonable challenges from #2 Massa (MICH) and #3 Joseph (PSU) (twice apiece), #5 Walsh (RID) and #7 Lewis (MIZZ) this season, but remains the man to beat. A puncher’s chance, maybe, for someone here. Hey, if #9 Rogers (OKST) gets a shot, somebody’s going on his back. Who knows? I’m envisioning a lot of good stuff in the placement matches. Among team contenders, Gunther (IOWA) would hope to be good for a win or two before checking out, and tOSU is not represented. When you play a prediction game like this, you’re always looking to pick that big upset…a surprise winner to separate yourself from the crowd…to feel smarter than the next guy...stronger, taller, better-looking. Maybe even grow some hair. I realize I’m going way too much chalk in this whole exercise, maybe due to time constraints. But Martinez? That is not the hill I care to die on.

Prediction: 1. Martinez (ILL); 2. Massa (MICH); 3. Joseph (PSU); 4. Lewis (MIZZ); 5. Jordan (WIS); 6. Walsh (RID); 7. Steiert (UNI); 8. Campbell (PITT)

174 looks to me like one of the most wide open and interesting weight classes in the tournament. #1 Valencia (ASU) is undefeated, but maybe not unbeatable. #2 Realbuto (COR) is 23-1, with only a SV-1, 3-1 loss to Valencia marring his record. #3 Jordan (tOSU) lost only to Realbuto, 3-2. #4 Epperly (VT) finished 3rd in last year’s NCAA tournament, and #5 Hall (PSU), the polished and poised freshman, is capable of beating anyone in the field. Can he beat everyone in the field? The other team championship contenders have capable entries here too: #7 Crutchmer (OKST) and #11 Meyer (IOWA), maybe the best last-four-minute wrestler of the group. I ended up going pretty much chalk here, which I feel sure I’ll regret. This one could turn around any which way.

Prediction: 1. Valencia (ASU); 2. Realbuto (COR); 3. Jordan (tOSU); 4. Epperly (VT); 5. Hall (PSU); 6. Meyer (IOWA); 7. Amine (MICH); 8. Crutchmer (OKST)

Time to open up another can of undefeated, defending champion, #1 seeded…ah, you know the drill. Dean (COR) is back for a shot at number three. Despite a loss in the Big Ten finals, Nickal (PSU) held on to the #2 seed, and with his “I might pin anybody at any moment” style, seems to represent the most dangerous challenge to a possible repeat for Dean. Brooks (IOWA), coming in as the #3 seed for the second year in a row, seemed to be more consistent this year than last, losing only to a Nickal lightning bolt and to #9 Jackson (IND) in a close 3-1 decision, a loss he later avenged. He also spanked #6 Martin (tOSU) twice and #4 Boyd once during the season, and feels like a real factor here. Boyd will be challenged from at least the quarters in (#5 Zavatsky (VT) and #1 Dean) and no picnics on the backside at whatever point he might find himself there. Still looking for that upset…but I just can’t pull the trigger for Nickal or Brooks here. Dean it is.

Prediction: 1. Dean (COR); 2. Nickal (PSU); 3. Brooks (IOWA); 4. Zavatsky (VT); 5. Dechow (ODU); 6. Martin (tOSU); 7. Dudley (NEB); 8. Boyd (OKST)

Defending champion and #1 seed Cox (MIZZ) is the heavy favorite and the pick to win. #5 McCutcheon (PSU) has had a nice year after being Nickaled up into the 197 pound weight class. Since then, Cutch has been one of those real rarities: a wrestler who eats. A lot of low-scoring, close, tense, decisions in his resumé. He could make the semis, or the law of averages could catch up with him in this tournament. We’ll see. Shaky vote for Haught if it gets that far. As for the other half of the draw…in the Big Ten finals, #3 Moore (tOSU) avenged two earlier losses to #2 Pfarr (MINN) to take the conference title. Pfarr kept the #2 seed here and looks good for the semis. Moore has the neutral skills to build a first period lead on #6 Weigel (OKST), a recipe for success in the quarters: Get a lead; choose neutral. In the Pfarr-Moore semi, as all the ladies used to tell me: “I like Moore.” (“Pfarr Moore,” for that matter.) And as I used to tell them: “That’s all I got” on 197. On to 285…

Prediction: 1. Cox (MIZZ); 2. Moore (tOSU); 3. Pfarr (MINN); 4. Haught (VT); 5. Studebaker (NEB); 6. Rotert (SDSU); 7. Wolfe (RID); 8. Sleigh (BUCK)

Snyder (tOSU) is the world and defending NCAA champion, undefeated, tall-building-in-a-single-bound leaping #1 seed. Good luck to the rest of the field. #2 Medbery (WIS) gave him a decent tussle in the Big Ten championship finals. That’s maybe the best any competitor can hope for this weekend. The way the rest of the AA contenders shake out could have a big impact on the team race, with #5 Nevills (PSU) and #6 Schafer (OKST) in the mix. Schafer’s path is tough, with a possible R16 match with #11 Johnson (UTC), and #3 Walz (VT) next in line if he wins, and guys like #8 Kroells (MINN) and #7 Hall (ASU) likely to be lurking in the consis if he doesn’t. And…that’s all she wrote. Ten weight classes. Nine top-seeded predicted winners. I feel so cheap.

Prediction: 1. Snyder (tOSU); 2. Medbery (WIS); 3. Walz (VT); 4. Nevills (PSU); 5. Hall (ASU); 6. Kasper (DUKE); 7. Schafer (OKST); 8. Johnson (UTC)

Team standing predictions:

1. Penn State 116.0

2. Iowa 107.5

3. tOhio State 106.5

4. Oklahoma State 96.0

5. Virginia Tech 73.0

6. Missouri 70.0

Disclaimer: Yes, I kept up with the discussion in the week following Heil’s narrow victory over Gulibon. I am aware that the highly esteemed Tom McAndrew enlisted the opinions of wrestling referees he respects and was told, “No that was not a pin.” Without an argument, they know better than I do. But as I wrote this mammoth post, I asked myself: “Does this audience want incisive, highly accurate and informative wrestling information from a guy whose last view as a wrestler was the light fixtures in Rec Hall at the bitter end of the IM quarterfinals in 1975…or do they want Resilite-tinged scapulae and a Tijuana donkey show? Yeah, that’s what I thought.

Enjoy the tournament.

Last edited:
Nonetheless, I will not be deterred from offering my second annual (?) preview of this year’s NCAA wrestling championships. As I did last year, noting that injury information is difficult to pry out of wrestlers and coaches, I treat them like any self-respecting journalist would: with reckless speculation.

Outstanding job! It's been a long time since I laughed so much at a post on this board. IMHO, this was even more entertaining than last year's preview. This rates up there with some of slushhead's posts. (Speaking of which, where has slushhead been of late?)

Reactions: BHF23
Not the outcome I would like, but find it hard to fault any of the logic. And darn tough to keep from spitting my coffee out a couple of times!

Reactions: BHF23
Outstanding job! It's been a long time since I laughed so much at a post on this board. IMHO, this was even more entertaining than last year's preview. This rates up there with some of slushhead's posts. (Speaking of which, where has slushhead been of late?)

On FOS...maybe a little gun shy right now?

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Holy crap, this guy's likes to messages ratio is 8:1. That's legendary status. He could put out 715 message like that guy I have on ignore, and probably still have a higher than 1:1 ratio. Even his shit-posts will probably get residual goodwill from a post like this.

Great work, BHF. Very entertaining!

Reactions: BHF23 and garw
ADVERTISEMENT