Unreliable energy for freezing Alberta. Lolol...oops....meant Lulz!

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Seems solar and wind ain’t cutting it.....again. Incredibly bad data for the greenie weinies.

So the total contribution of ALL solar and wind, at noon, was 76 megawatts out of a theoretical 3,005 megawatts of supposedly green, renewable energy. That meant that, at that moment, Keephills Unit 1, on its scheduled last day, was providing four times the output of all the grid-linked solar and wind generation, combined, in the entire province.

Four times. Just one coal unit. And that one coal unit was running at three-quarters capacity. If it was spun up to full capacity, it would have been more than five times.

HartfordLlion

Sep 28, 2001
Sounds like it going to be some post Apocalyptic scenario where every man is for himself when it come to saying warm and alive during the winter up there. At least burning wood it carbon neutral until they cut down all the forests.

Reactions: Hotshoe

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
It's amazing how the best and brightest don't seem to follow the science. Little to no common sense, yet tell everyone how to live. And, you're never to question them, they just know everything. Funny, they're not smart enough not to cut off their nose to spite their face, yet push the 100% green nonsense. Get rid of all internal combustion engines by 2035. These things should be goals, not government mandates. Meanwhile, China doesn't give a sh&t. We'll end up greener and deader.

bdgan

May 29, 2008
It's amazing how the best and brightest don't seem to follow the science. Little to no common sense, yet tell everyone how to live. And, you're never to question them, they just know everything. Funny, they're not smart enough not to cut off their nose to spite their face, yet push the 100% green nonsense. Get rid of all internal combustion engines by 2035. These things should be goals, not government mandates. Meanwhile, China doesn't give a sh&t. We'll end up greener and deader.
IC cars will be around for a long time. 70% new car sales might be EVs by 2035. 14 years is a long time.

China does give a sh&t, sort of. Two reasons. One is that air quality in their major cities bad. Look at a city like Los Angeles with 4 million people. The big cities in China have 25 million people. Pollution from cars and factories is bad and they want to improve the situation. The other reason is because China wants to be a world leader in green technology.

That said, energy demands will increase dramatically as a larger percentage of their citizens will be moving into the middle class. They are looking at all sources to meet that demand.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

SR108

Jan 13, 2004
IC cars will be around for a long time. 70% new car sales might be EVs by 2035. 14 years is a long time.

China does give a sh&t, sort of. Two reasons. One is that air quality in their major cities bad. Look at a city like Los Angeles with 4 million people. The big cities in China have 25 million people. Pollution from cars and factories is bad and they want to improve the situation. The other reason is because China wants to be a world leader in green technology.

That said, energy demands will increase dramatically as a larger percentage of their citizens will be moving into the middle class. They are looking at all sources to meet that demand.
China cranked out a number of nuclear power plants during the 90's and early 2000's with the help of Westinghouse, contracted with GE to build more recently, while we did/do nothing to improve our grid.

Last edited:

HartfordLlion

Sep 28, 2001

Yes China does care about air quality but that doesn't mean they are going to embrace green technology. China has/had a lot of smaller stoker coal powerplants located in their cities. These are really dirty and emit a ton of carbon particulate. They have been replacing them for a decade or two with the larger coal burning plants run off of pulverized coal. The large plants are cleaner wrt particulate emissions but still belch out CO2, SO2, NOx, and mercury . They are also typically located outside of the big cities so the air in those cities is cleaner. We still get the fallout on the West Coast either way.

• Sad
Reactions: The Spin Meister

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Article states the following: Did I mention it was cold across Alberta? And that wind turbines must shut down at -30 C, or they could shatter from the cold?

So any time it gets below -20 F they shut down the wind turbines. Did I mention it is in Alberta? As in Canada?

Remeber how Rumble laughed at Texas last winter?

Reactions: royboy

LionDeNittany

May 29, 2001
DFW, TX
Article states the following: Did I mention it was cold across Alberta? And that wind turbines must shut down at -30 C, or they could shatter from the cold?

So any time it gets below -20 F they shut down the wind turbines. Did I mention it is in Alberta? As in Canada?

Texas? Virginia is shut down hundreds of thousands without power or water and i95 was closed over a single snowstorm.

Texas had 5 days of sub zero weather and snow.

These people love to point fingers at TX but the weather was once in 50 years or more.

LdN

Reactions: Hotshoe and bdgan

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
Funny you bring that up. Just a couple weeks ago I got the annual letter asking how much more I will pay for green energy. Sign up to pay more... lol... Like volunteering to pay additional taxes.

Fayette_LION

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2004
Seems solar and wind ain’t cutting it.....again. Incredibly bad data for the greenie weinies.

So the total contribution of ALL solar and wind, at noon, was 76 megawatts out of a theoretical 3,005 megawatts of supposedly green, renewable energy. That meant that, at that moment, Keephills Unit 1, on its scheduled last day, was providing four times the output of all the grid-linked solar and wind generation, combined, in the entire province.

Four times. Just one coal unit. And that one coal unit was running at three-quarters capacity. If it was spun up to full capacity, it would have been more than five times.

Anybody who approves of these kinds of moves and all who vote for them need to suffer the consequences of their decision. It's hard to believe these are educated people but I guess "education" is so broad it includes far too many idiots.

Lesgo_Brandon

Nov 11, 2021
St Louis
Buy uranium stocks. Eventually they'll start pushing nuclear power again when solar and windmills fail. It's already happening in the EU.

Last edited:
Reactions: m.knox

HartfordLlion

Sep 28, 2001

-30C is -22F. Probably below the glass transition point for the epoxy they use. Glass transition point is where a polymer/plastic transitions from a somewhat pliable material to a brittle/hard material. It really doesn't matter another 10F or so oil turns to molasses and the inability to lube the windmill bearing and gear box will be the next failure point. I doubt they have oil heaters on these windmills.