ADVERTISEMENT

Univ. of Alabama with 1200 positive cases.

California is pretty much in "shut down until there are zero cases" mode. Same with Rhode Island
Well California actually has published criteria for reopening:
To fully reopen, they want over a 7 day average, fewer than 1 new case per 100,000 inhabitants per day and fewer than 2% positive tests. They have 5 tiers. So, basically less than 7 new daily cases per 100,000 inhabitants and fewer than 8% positive tests and they will be partly open. Currently they are at 12 cases per 100,000 (daily) over the last 7 days. So, they are still at the "widespread" condition.

And their lowest tier of a nearly impossible 1 case per 100k still carries restrictions.
This is 1 new case per day per 100,000. NOT 1 case per 100k.
Funny that many entire countries in Europe, Asia, and the Pacific are able to cross this bar but I don't think any state in the USA can. I know, you think they are faking it somehow.

yesterday, PA Football News posted this.

Eg2hj3KWAAEQ8Tj
Good example of why one should use "than" rather than (see what I did there?) "then".

not sure who ever made that argument- my guess is nobody, ever- but it certainly wasn't me
Are you serious? google two weeks to flatten the curve. It was Birx and Fauci in one of the Presidential briefings early on when i watched them. People say stuff and never think about all the consequences. Talking to a friend the other night whose wife owns and operates a small gym. At this point she isn't sure if she'll be able to hang on or not. Anyway her husband says "I remember when they announced this shut down. We thought well that is until the end of spring break. We can manage through that okay."

Reactions: 91Joe95
Are you serious? google two weeks to flatten the curve. It was Birx and Fauci in one of the Presidential briefings early on when i watched them. People say stuff and never think about all the consequences. Talking to a friend the other night whose wife owns and operates a small gym. At this point she isn't sure if she'll be able to hang on or not. Anyway her husband says "I remember when they announced this shut down. We thought well that is until the end of spring break. We can manage through that okay."
amazing...amiright? Pelosi is saying she is getting thanks for "shedding light on the problem" of shut down salons (she broke the law by going to a salon). So....she is "shedding light on the problem" that she helped create. Talk about not being held accountable for your decisions.

Let's try this scholar: do you know the difference between "can" and "did?" For example: "I can shoot you in the head" has a distinctly different meaning from "I did shoot you in the head.

So my quote, from which you eagerly hang your scrotum:

"Do you mean that hospitals can profit by falsifying medical records? Don't know how that has changed with Covid 19."

means that hospitals have the capability to profit from falsifying records, but does not mean that I allege that they do.

o_O

Reactions: 91Joe95 and Ski
yesterday, PA Football News posted this.

Eg2hj3KWAAEQ8Tj

Good post. Here is what i don't get about all these threads. Why can't we hold two seemingly contradictory thoughts [but really aren't] in our own heads
As with your disclaimer I have the same disclaimer
. I am over 65
. I am over weight and takes meds for hypertension
. I am a survivor of 2 bouts of cancer
. I am a prime target for the Corona virus

. I wear a mask on the very few occasions I enter a building [about the only time is when I go into a pro shop to pay for golf]
. I have not been in a grocery store, restaurant or Home Depot type store in 5 months
. No one has been in our house and we have not been in another house in 5 months. Any visiting has been outdoors
. I golf once a week and still require a cart by myself
. i wipe the cart down with 409
. I let my mail sit two days and my groceries one or two.

So I am damn near paranoid for myself and half the stuff I do I don't even believe in but i would rather be safe than sorry. But that is for me.

Why should anyone under the age of 50 and otherwise healthy have their lives completely turned upside down. For folks like me life may be changed for a long time. For MOST of America be cautious sure but we should get on with life. If you don't think so be paranoid like I am but don't suggest "science" is on your side.

How many of these positive tests required hospitalizations, ICU's, ventilators, and ultimately resulted in death?

I'll wait for the answer.

We will never know when they go home and expose their parents, grandparents or expose anyone around them who are elderly or with compromised immune. But that appears to not matter to you from your later post. You appear to believe in heard thinning not immunity.

I for one lost a daughter many years ago to cancer if she would have made it through I would be scared as hell about her today, because she would fall under immune compromised. But hey who cares about them they are expendable in your eyes.

many scientists say that you do not need anywhere near 65-70% to get some sort of herd immunity. Dr leavitt a Nobel prize winner strongly believes that COVID burns our at some point between 20-30%. That seems to be demonstrated by New York State where cases are much much lower than they were from March through June-ish
On the main COVID thread, I posted a link from a virologist from Washington State presenting his data through a UCSF pod cast. His opinion was that when you couple behavioral measures with % of population positive, herd immunity is around 20 %. It would be sufficient enough to keep RO below 1. You might have flare ups, but you should see a quick burn out.

We will never know when they go home and expose their parents, grandparents or expose anyone around them who are elderly or with compromised immune. But that appears to not matter to you from your later post. You appear to believe in heard thinning not immunity.

I for one lost a daughter many years ago to cancer if she would have made it through I would be scared as hell about her today, because she would fall under immune compromised. But hey who cares about them they are expendable in your eyes.
PSU is advocating that the students sit put till the end of the term, Thanksgiving-ish. To try and minimize the exposure.

Good post. Here is what i don't get about all these threads. Why can't we hold two seemingly contradictory thoughts [but really aren't] in our own heads
As with your disclaimer I have the same disclaimer
. I am over 65
. I am over weight and takes meds for hypertension
. I am a survivor of 2 bouts of cancer
. I am a prime target for the Corona virus

. I wear a mask on the very few occasions I enter a building [about the only time is when I go into a pro shop to pay for golf]
. I have not been in a grocery store, restaurant or Home Depot type store in 5 months
. No one has been in our house and we have not been in another house in 5 months. Any visiting has been outdoors
. I golf once a week and still require a cart by myself
. i wipe the cart down with 409
. I let my mail sit two days and my groceries one or two.

So I am damn near paranoid for myself and half the stuff I do I don't even believe in but i would rather be safe than sorry. But that is for me.

Why should anyone under the age of 50 and otherwise healthy have their lives completely turned upside down. For folks like me life may be changed for a long time. For MOST of America be cautious sure but we should get on with life. If you don't think so be paranoid like I am but don't suggest "science" is on your side.

Guess you ain’t getting perishables at grocery store if you are letting your groceries sit 2 days. 😉

To fully reopen, they want over a 7 day average, fewer than 1 new case per 100,000 inhabitants per day and fewer than 2% positive tests. They have 5 tiers. So, basically less than 7 new daily cases per 100,000 inhabitants and fewer than 8% positive tests and they will be partly open. Currently they are at 12 cases per 100,000 (daily) over the last 7 days. So, they are still at the "widespread" condition.
Do you know a hair salon in SF I can get into that doesn't video their customers ?

You’re interpretation of that article is disingenuous. it clearly brings into question the testing parameters but you can spin it how you want.

If you have a better explanation, present it.

My internet search skills must be getting rusty (weren't all that great in the first place). Can't seem to find any references to Fauci or Birx maintaining that the curve could be flattened in two weeks. Perhaps you can provide a link. Thank you for your assistance.

The thing to know about predictions of herd immunity is that you are talking about predictions based on models. No one has a clinical trial proving their model is correct.
All the ones predicting a really low value all (if they are actual scientists and not hucksters) admit a very large uncertainty, like they could easily be low by 50%. The ones predicting a higher number are much more confident that their number is a safe prediction. The statistics suggest they may be overly conservative but they are very confident that if over 70% of the population has immunity, the spread will be essentially stopped.
And there are many reasons being guessed at as to why NY has reduced the spread, immunity just being one of them. Most of NY's cases were in the NYC area. The whole state, especially in NYC area has been very diligent in social distancing, wearing masks, etc. since at least mid-March. That is also a factor.
Recently reading more about mass transit being a big culprit in the explosion . Using cell phone data they are adjusting models .

My internet search skills must be getting rusty (weren't all that great in the first place). Can't seem to find any references to Fauci or Birx maintaining that the curve could be flattened in two weeks. Perhaps you can provide a link. Thank you for your assistance.
Rusty huh? Try March 17 when Birx announced a 15 day plan to flatten the curve.

Guess you ain’t getting perishables at grocery store if you are letting your groceries sit 2 days. 😉
Bananas tomatoes green beans lettuce. Just need to make a couple trips a week. They bring the food right to the car.

First of all sorry so much for your loss. There surely are very few pains like losing a child. I am so far a lucky one. As I posted above I am a 2 time cancer survivor. But staying safe and distanced is my responsibility not my nieces and nephews. I am visiting my 33 year old son and my very 1st grandchild this weekend for the first time. He is 4 weeks old and we will visit outside and wearing a mask. If your daughter were here I would strongly encourage her to take online classes. Of course exceptions need to be made

Rusty huh? Try March 17 when Birx announced a 15 day plan to flatten the curve.

Yes, on March 17 a 15 day plan was announced by the President and Vice president among others. The plan was to take 15 days to implement. No mention was made of how long it would take that plan to achieve results i.e. flatten the curve.

Yes, on March 17 a 15 day plan was announced by the President and Vice president among others. The plan was to take 15 days to implement. No mention was made of how long it would take that plan to achieve results i.e. flatten the curve.
Perhaps ready comprehension not internet skills. From the article
Para 1 pres Trump and his health advisers announced a 15 day plan intended to (get ready for it) Flatten the Curve of the pandemic in the US.
Para 2 Deborah Birx who has become one of the task force’s primary advisers said these actions ( limit gatherings to 10 or less closing restaurants etc) will not eliminate the virus but slow the spread allowing health care facilities to keep up with the increasing number of hospitalizations.
So we have a 15 day plan
Explained by Birx
Never suggested or intended to eliminate the virus. Simply slow it down
Now we are 115 days done the road and the plan for many is to keep these plans until the virus is gone or controlled.
That is the definition of moving the goalposts,

Perhaps ready comprehension not internet skills. From the article
Para 1 pres Trump and his health advisers announced a 15 day plan intended to (get ready for it) Flatten the Curve of the pandemic in the US.
Para 2 Deborah Birx who has become one of the task force’s primary advisers said these actions ( limit gatherings to 10 or less closing restaurants etc) will not eliminate the virus but slow the spread allowing health care facilities to keep up with the increasing number of hospitalizations.
So we have a 15 day plan
Explained by Birx
Never suggested or intended to eliminate the virus. Simply slow it down
Now we are 115 days done the road and the plan for many is to keep these plans until the virus is gone or controlled.
That is the definition of moving the goalposts,

A fifteen day plan to flatten the curve is not the flattening the curve in fifteen days. 🤪🤪🤪🤪

As a stand alone post, I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter. May you continue to gain peace and wonderful memories about her.

Reactions: roswelllion

I asked a question about how many of the 1200 positive students were hospitalized, placed on ventilators, or died? I didn't say a single word about herd immunity, thinning the population, or people being expendable.

So, are you able to answer my question without veering off into other topics?

First of all sorry so much for your loss. There surely are very few pains like losing a child. I am so far a lucky one. As I posted above I am a 2 time cancer survivor. But staying safe and distanced is my responsibility not my nieces and nephews. I am visiting my 33 yea r old son and my very 1st grandchild this weekend for the first time. He is 4 weeks old and we will visit outside and wearing a mask. If your daughter were here I would strongly encourage her to take online classes. Of course exceptions need to be made

Thank you, stay safe.

My wife was in healthcare and I corrections so both of us know how these viruses can effect our society. We have been very careful as well. We have only done things with two of our three children. We have one child who has to travel (fly) for his job, plus his wife just doesn't get it.

My wife's daughter had open heart surgery as a teenager so she has a preexisting condition towards the virus. She is also a Capt in the Army who is teaching ROTC while getting her MBA. She has taken every precaution you can think of but has recently been exposed but one of her students. It appears she will be ok it's been about two weeks now. But understandably she is paranoid about contracting this disease. She is a new mother like your son being a new father.

Yes, after their supreme leader got caught. Special rules for special people, until you get caught. Personally, I've never seen such a smart virus able to discriminate so well.

ADVERTISEMENT