ADVERTISEMENT

"Underrated George Harrison songs" IMO:

If Not For You written by Dylan but George released it first on All Things Must Pass (another great song IMO). The song was also on Dylan's New Morning, released later that year in 1970. New Morning also contained The Man In Me used in The Big Lebowski.

Reactions: TheGLOV

JMO but I think all of his songs are underrated. I pretty much think all his solo stuff was better than most of what Lennon and McCarnety were doing. Paul had his moments, especially with Band on the Run same with Lennon but for me I liked Georges post Beatles stuff better.
All Things Must Pass was excellent but I love Cloud 9 and thats my favorite. I probably listen to that at least once a month.
Just For Today is incredible.

My wife was a big Beatles fan, especially John Lennon. We always disagreed over which Beatle had the best solo career. She loved John's music but I always told her that George wrote the best songs post breakup.

Such a fun song, it's long been one of my favorites of his. He's throwing off the weight of the lawsuit over "My Sweet Lord," and the expectations of being "Former Beatle George Harrison" and just writing something for the fun of it. Also, you can really see the influence of his association with the guys from Monty Python in the video.

George is one of my heros. He was added to the Beatles because he was the only guy Paul and John knew who could play guitar. He was always considered the least talented beatle. But I'd put him ahead of Ringo but behind John and Paul.

A good read is the autobiography by Eric Clapton. George Harrison was married to Patty Boyd. He had met her on the set of "Hard Day's Night" where she had one line ("Prisoners?"). He wrote several songs about her (claims "Something" was about her). George's good friend, Clapton, was having an affair with her at the same time. She finally dumped Harrison and wed Clapton. Of course, Clapton did Layla, which was about her. So was Bell Bottom Blues and my favorite, She's Waiting. She's Waiting was conceived by Clapton when he was (again) drunk and high. He knew she was getting tired of him and was going to leave. So he wrote that she was just waiting, for another love. He also wrote a very sad song named Old Love about her.

Regardless, through the whole thing, Harrison was always great friends with Clapton. In fact, I believe (IIRC) Clapton was one of the last people Harrison saw before he died. Tells you what kind of a great guy he was. He was really the soul of the beatles and became very spiritual. Really a warm and wonderful man by just about every account.

My Sweet Lord is my favorite of his songs, along with While My Guitar Gently Weeps and What is Life.

If you are including his time with the Beatles: "Here Comes The Sun."
Always one of my favorites, and I never tire of it.

Maybe that wasn't the intent of this topic, and George was prolific, but that is my favorite.

George is one of my heros. He was added to the Beatles because he was the only guy Paul and John knew who could play guitar. He was always considered the least talented beatle. But I'd put him ahead of Ringo but behind John and Paul.

A good read is the autobiography by Eric Clapton. George Harrison was married to Patty Boyd. He had met her on the set of "Hard Day's Night" where she had one line ("Prisoners?"). He wrote several songs about her (claims "Something" was about her). George's good friend, Clapton, was having an affair with her at the same time. She finally dumped Harrison and wed Clapton. Of course, Clapton did Layla, which was about her. So was Bell Bottom Blues and my favorite, She's Waiting. She's Waiting was conceived by Clapton when he was (again) drunk and high. He knew she was getting tired of him and was going to leave. So he wrote that she was just waiting, for another love. He also wrote a very sad song named Old Love about her.

Regardless, through the whole thing, Harrison was always great friends with Clapton. In fact, I believe (IIRC) Clapton was one of the last people Harrison saw before he died. Tells you what kind of a great guy he was. He was really the soul of the beatles and became very spiritual. Really a warm and wonderful man by just about every account.

My Sweet Lord is my favorite of his songs, along with While My Guitar Gently Weeps and What is Life.
As purely a musician, I'd put him ahead of everyone, including Paul.

As purely a musician, I'd put him ahead of everyone, including Paul.
Me too. George was my favorite Beatle, and "Here Comes the Sun" was my favorite Beatles song. The optimism in that song is a great thing. All Things Must Pass was a great album, too. I was surprised no one had listed "Wah Wah" yet.

He was such an underrated guitarist. His playing was absolutely fantastic. So pure, but so creative and full of style, feel, and soul.

ADVERTISEMENT