ADVERTISEMENT

Uncle Tony Appreciation Thread

Im sure this has been going on for awhile. Im sure the Dad and son have had conversations on it.

But I go back to the UoM match, when Tony left the mat and UT went to talk to him, grabbed his arm and Tony shrugged him off. Then went to sit down away from where UT could talk to him right after. Im sure they talked about the match later. But in the moment he wanted left alone. So I dont know what to think about this. I think if Cael wanted it over, it would be over. So for now, when tony takes the mat, fans need to just deal with it. I trust in Cael.

After once again hearing horror stories from Tulsa, about crazy ass parents, this simply isnt healthy. Whether you are 7 in podunk novice tournament in MD or live on ESPiNu, it just doesnt seem to be doing anything for the wrestler. It probably does more harm than good long term as we see our #s dwindle at the HS level.

That said, when you see the antics of TnT, Manning, the Mongolian FS Coaches, Russians, etc craziness is and will always be a small segment of our sport and sports in general.

The worst part of youth sports will always be the crazy parents.
I’d prefer not hear UT’s advice all dual—but by all accounts the guy’s heart is in the right place (even if it is his sleeve). I think it’s very different at the D1 level than a youth tourney.

I do agree that Rec needs more energy—and not just 15 we are chants. The zeitgeist of the place is respecting the wrestling and not wanting distractions from enjoying it—I get it, but the place needs more youthful energy too, imo. Not to be ageist, but I wish we could add 1,000 seats to rec and sell them to people under 50.

Uncle Tony has his own 3” binder re: LI/NY wrestling - always room for more pipelines
That is definitely not a bad thing. They definitely have their own style of wrestling. Tough kids. At youth tournaments they usually make me look like a genious when I notice the kid is from LI. Before the match Ill tell someone near me that the 12 or 13 year old LI wrestler will win and pin the kid going from crab ride to a half and Im right about 70% of the time.

when Cael was asked how it felt to be back in Rec Hall filled with fans at the beginning of the season, he mentioned he thought it sounded “very quiet”.
I think it’s good Uncle Tony making some noise, and he does it for all the guys.
With all the fans in masks I think it makes most fans less vocal and too quiet.
more overall crowd noise brings more energy. Maybe Uncle Tony could lead some group cheers like the raucous Iranian wrestling fans all do. Bring a horn UT and get them going!
Good luck with the horn thing ;)

[IMG alt="HAMMER167"]https://rivals-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/forums/bwi/data/avatars/m/83/83761.jpg?1614909436[/IMG]

HAMMER167

5 minutes agoCowbell Man said:

Good luck with the horn thing ;)
Better yet, Next home Rec Dual first hundred get cow bells!

Hah! That would be a blast! I Gave up just trying to have 1!. The events are too scripted. The AD’s office doesn’t want one in any arena/stadium except the one I granted to my Lion successors. I offered to work within their scripts.
They’d rather have lusty spontaneity by announcing “and now the Lion will play the Cowbell”…. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Thank goodness they stopped that nonsense. Lol

Last edited:
Not to be ageist, but I wish we could add 1,000 seats to rec and sell them to people under 50.

Rec Hall can get plenty loud regardless of the median age of those in attendance.

Not to be a reverse ageist, but a survey may show a good many more under 50 engaging their cell phones while matches are on-going.

I think moreso the 😷ing naturally factors into lowering the overall energy level. And the weather kept many at home this Saturday.

Rec Hall can get plenty loud regardless of the median age of those in attendance.

Not to be a reverse ageist, but a survey may show a good many more under 50 engaging their cell phones while matches are on-going.

I think moreso the 😷ing naturally factors into lowering the overall energy level. And the weather kept many at home this Saturday.
Oh no doubt. For the really hot duals, the atmosphere is electric. i’d like to see some more mid-match organized cheers though—beyond the ”we ares”

i’d like to see some more mid-match organized cheers though—beyond the ”we ares”
I don't know why aren't organized cheers and cheerleading at wrestling like there is for men's basketball and hockey.

Your preference seems better directed at the SWAC (Penn State's Student Wrestling Affiliation Club), Cael and Sandy. Maybe it has been discussed. Regardless, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the age of the fans in the stands.

I don't know why aren't organized cheers and cheerleading at wrestling like there is for men's basketball and hockey.

Your preference seems better directed at the SWAC (Penn State's Student Wrestling Affiliation Club), Cael and Sandy. Maybe it has been discussed. Regardless, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the age of the fans in the stands.
Yeah--I'm hitting you with multiple "wishes." For me, I guess what I'd like to see if possible is more families at duals. Something that is potentially more representative of the fan base at large--having such a ticket scarcity tends to skew the representation. I do think a better mix would potentially improve the atmosphere too--but I understand your point about phones.

I just love what the Iranian fans have at world tourneys--it's a chant that doesn't have to end if its a big match, and I think it helps build pressure for the opponent and energy for the "home" team. I'd love to come up w/ something similar for PSU wrestling.

Reactions: HAMMER167
ticket scarcity tends to skew the representation
I think the people who have season tickets made getting tickets a priority years ago. I doubt that situation is going to change. Some are families. Some are not. In part, the ticket situation is one reason for BJC matches. Still in the one year of two BJC matches, I recall the second did not sell out.

Every year limited standing room only Rec Hall tickets go on sale, including an NLC member presale. Until I was fortunate to trade for a wrestling season ticket this season, I went the NLC presale SRO route.
a chant that doesn't have to end if its a big match, and I think it helps build pressure for the opponent and energy for the "home" team. I'd love to come up w/ something similar for PSU wrestling
I suggest you work on a chant with the SWAC. Despite being 58, I think I'd enjoy such a chant better than trivia, blindfolded mat prize crawling, or video board shell games. Go for it!

Last edited:
I think the people who have season tickets made getting tickets a priority years ago.
That's why I was magically imagining adding 1,000-2,000 seats to an imaginary new upper deck in rec hall. For the most part, I think those "plan ahead" types were past the age where they were taking their kids to wrestling practice, etc. New fans emerge every year because of parenting, etc. Anyway--I'm just pining, and am completely without a plan. I am grateful for the access to a good seat I have had going the last several years--being a local gives you opportunities like that more readily.

But I'm into proposing some new chant--maybe I'll do that--or maybe someone like @Cowbell Man would have more clout.

Reactions: hlstone

I think this is a funny representative of the generational divide out there......

I would also like to believe that the decades preceding 1970 (not in video) built the door frame and thought those coming after could easily walk through the door without an issue.

On the thought of "vocal uncles" in Rec Hall, I miss the sight/sound of Uncle Ed. Haven't seen/heard him in over a dozen years. His vocal encouragements during matches were unmistakable, and I enjoyed them LOL. Hope he's OK, and still a fan.

Reactions: nitlion6
Yeah--I'm hitting you with multiple "wishes." For me, I guess what I'd like to see if possible is more families at duals. Something that is potentially more representative of the fan base at large--having such a ticket scarcity tends to skew the representation. I do think a better mix would potentially improve the atmosphere too--but I understand your point about phones.

I just love what the Iranian fans have at world tourneys--it's a chant that doesn't have to end if its a big match, and I think it helps build pressure for the opponent and energy for the "home" team. I'd love to come up w/ something similar for PSU wrestling.
Oh, you want a chant, do you?

That's because I brought my wife. Although she gets very technical in her cheering. Her favorite is "Rip his head off!". Such a dainty lass.
Taking my girlfriend to the Rider match because she keeps asking to go with me sometime. I’m really nervous about it because she too yells stuff like “kill him” and “take his face off”. Btw, if you sit within 10 rows of us, I want to apologize right now. I’ve explained to her people like to watch the match but she will talk and talk and talk and talk to everyone around because she can’t help herself. For some reason she thinks she should leave every place we go with new best friends. Lol

With no data to support anyone’s opinion, I’m going to go with Kolat’s Rec Hall debut as loudest—if only because when he stuck Zaddick, that was the moment I was hooked. There have been plenty since, but Rec has less capacity now than they did then, so….

Last edited:
Reactions: papa_ed and danoftw
With no data to support anyone’s opinion, I’m going to go with Kolat’s Rec Hall debut as loudest—if only because when he suick Zaddick, that was the moment I was hooked. There have been plenty since, but Rec has less capacity now than they did then, so….
If we want to go back to the era before wrestling was invented: when Jim Martin made the Iowa wrestler quit, and won by stall-out.

Rec Hall may never get that loud again, simply because PSU will never again allow that many people into the entire building let alone just the arena.

That's because I brought my wife. Although she gets very technical in her cheering. Her favorite is "Rip his head off!". Such a dainty lass.
Taking my girlfriend to the Rider match because she keeps asking to go with me sometime. I’m really nervous about it because she too yells stuff like “kill him” and “take his face off”. Btw, if you sit within 10 rows of us, I want to apologize right now. I’ve explained to her people like to watch the match but she will talk and talk and talk and talk to everyone around because she can’t help herself. For some reason she thinks she should leave every place we go with new best friends. Lol

It's a real shame you two can't bring your other halves to see Iowa with Stable Terry and DeSanto.

My days at Rec (2000-2004) were limited, but by far the loudest I heard it in-person was when Scott Moore stuck Luke Moffitt.

If I recall, this was the first time in a while that PSU was expected to be even remotely competitive with Iowa, and the dual would be within reach with an upset and some key bonus. This was also still during an era when post-match celebrations were largely reserved for Nationals . . . Scott got really fired up after this pin, which triggered the crowd a 2nd time.

Video quality is a bit rough, but this was my favorite memory from those days:

I've had my season tickets since 08 or 09, bought singles before that, and this might be the quietest year in Rec Hall I can remember. Maybe it's the mask, maybe lack of big teams so far or just spoiled from the years of dominance. The fans sitting around me have been pretty consistent over the years but there was a huge change this year. I only recognize 2 of the ticket holders so far and the new ones are all bumps on a log boring......like don't even clap, yell, stand up when there's a pin. Do wish the pep band would support wrestling in Rec Hall. If not for Uncle Tony there was some matches you could've heard a pin drop in there.

My days at Rec (2000-2004) were limited, but by far the loudest I heard it in-person was when Scott Moore stuck Luke Moffitt.

If I recall, this was the first time in a while that PSU was expected to be even remotely competitive with Iowa, and the dual would be within reach with an upset and some key bonus. This was also still during an era when post-match celebrations were largely reserved for Nationals . . . Scott got really fired up after this pin, which triggered the crowd a 2nd time.

Video quality is a bit rough, but this was my favorite memory from those days:
The Moore brothers were FUN to watch.

I've had my season tickets since 08 or 09, bought singles before that, and this might be the quietest year in Rec Hall I can remember. Maybe it's the mask, maybe lack of big teams so far or just spoiled from the years of dominance. The fans sitting around me have been pretty consistent over the years but there was a huge change this year. I only recognize 2 of the ticket holders so far and the new ones are all bumps on a log boring......like don't even clap, yell, stand up when there's a pin. Do wish the pep band would support wrestling in Rec Hall. If not for Uncle Tony there was some matches you could've heard a pin drop in there.
Only 3 home duals so far and the last 2 Rec was only half full due to the weather. tOSU and Nebraska should be louder, but if we are fully healthy I don;t either of those duals will be close. UM this Friday is our toughest dual left. They match up better with us than Iowa does. If both teams are fully healthy i think the UM match comes down to bonus points or criteria.

Reactions: hlstone
If we want to go back to the era before wrestling was invented: when Jim Martin made the Iowa wrestler quit, and won by stall-out.

Rec Hall may never get that loud again, simply because PSU will never again allow that many people into the entire building let alone just the arena.
That was pretty amazing too. What year was it?
That was either my first or second season watching. I was probably too young for it to make as much of an impression as Kolat did a few years later. I also remember being impressed with the fight the less-heralded Kerry kid had at 197 that year.

That was pretty amazing too. What year was it?
That was either my first or second season watching. I was probably too young for it to make as much of an impression as Kolat did a few years later. I also remember being impressed with the fight the less-heralded Kerry kid had at 197 that year.
Fall 1986

Reactions: nerfstate
ADVERTISEMENT