ADVERTISEMENT

Uncle Tony Appreciation Thread

slushhead

Mar 10, 2014
He’s made the Twitter and ESPNU, has free reign at Rec, and even mixes it up with The Lion. I think it’s time he has his own Nittany Nation thread. 🥇🗣

This guy is growing on me week by week.
@dunkej01 — I think the first order of business for the next board meeting is to allocate some travel and ticket funds to ensure Uncle Tony gets good seats at the remaining road duals.

I want him next to Mike Amine on Friday.
And right behind the Hawkeye bench on the 28th.

I'm guessing not a popular statement But.....the louder and more frequently Tony Sr. screams instructions.......the worse his son Tony Jr. seems to wrestle. Perhaps let Cael and Casey do the coaching and just applaud. #itsnotaboutyou

Last edited:
I got to see him at the Duals in Niceville. He helped a chant "Let's go Wolfpack" get really loud vs Iowa. Then I realized he was there for Tony when he was the loudest. Wearing those chains around the neck then too.

He’s made the Twitter and ESPNU, has free reign at Rec, and even mixes it up with The Lion. I think it’s time he has his own Nittany Nation thread. 🥇🗣

This guy is growing on me week by week.
@dunkej01 — I think the first order of business for the next board meeting is to allocate some travel and ticket funds to ensure Uncle Tony gets good seats at the remaining road duals.

I want him next to Mike Amine on Friday.
And right behind the Hawkeye bench on the 28th.
giphy.gif

Not a fan of overbearing parents who bizarrely think they are actually part of the action. Especially when it involves yelling over the coaches that are giving a lot better advise than anything they have to offer. Not to mention creating a negative environment for the people sitting around them.

He must have come north with Manny Diaz... I love his enthusiasm. Tony was gassed though... many early Nits had trouble getting out from under last night.

Not a fan of overbearing parents who bizarrely think they are actually part of the action. Especially when it involves yelling over the coaches that are giving a lot better advise than anything they have to offer. Not to mention creating a negative environment for the people sitting around them.
Well said, if you want to start the We Are chant a few times that’s fine. But let the coaches do their thing. I couldn’t imagine sitting right by him all
Match.

If Uncle Tony yelled "Spin behind!" to Beau then that match may've ended differently. That ction was right in front of him.

Uncle Tony seemed more reserved vs Rutgers than he did during earlier home duals. Maybe he trained through too.
I could hear him clearly on the ESPNU broadcast encouraging Beau several times, “Stay confident in your offense!”
Seemed appropriate.

I might normally agree with such a take, because it often involves the ranting & raving, overbearring, aggressive, hot-headed type. But not in this case, from what I’m seeing and, of course, hearing.

From my seat, Uncle Tony personifies positivity. I don’t see him creating a negative environment. It’s all positive with him. He’s not shouting over the coaches with technical instruction — just encouragement (as far as I can tell). And he’s such a caricature of LI/NY. I just see him as someone to celebrate. I have a feeling that before we know it, we’ll miss his presence in the gym.

Negron’s story has been one of my favs thus far this season, and the “Uncle Tony” part just supplements it. I’m pulling for the kid — his animated demeanor during his first two matches with PSU seems to have waned the past few times on the mat. I hope he finds a groove soon and gets on a roll.

I might normally agree with such a take, because it often involves the ranting & raving, overbearring, aggressive, hot-headed type. But not in this case, from what I’m seeing and, of course, hearing.

From my seat, Uncle Tony personifies positivity. I don’t see him creating a negative environment. It’s all positive with him. He’s not shouting over the coaches with technical instruction — just encouragement (as far as I can tell). And he’s such a caricature of LI/NY. I just see him as someone to celebrate. I have a feeling that before we know it, we’ll miss his presence in the gym.

Negron’s story has been one of my favs thus far this season, and the “Uncle Tony” part just supplements it. I’m pulling for the kid — his animated demeanor during his first two matches with PSU seems to have waned the past few times on the mat. I hope he finds a groove soon and gets on a roll.
This was a great post!

Uncle Tony is Tony Negron dad. He's Uncle Tony to everyone. He's a great guy he will give you the shirt off his back but don't ask for a gold chain 🤣😂
Agree. His name is Raul, and we had a good time at a restaurant before the Maryland dual. Guy is super friendly, and very knowledgeable, plus has some solid connections in the wrestling community.

"He’s not shouting over the coaches with technical instruction"

While I agree with most everything you said about aggressive, overbearing fans/parents, from my seat, which is about 20 feet away on the floor, he is "yelling over the coaches with technical instructions". Be enthusiastic, yes, but let the coaches coach; especially since his instructions are not very technically helpful.

Reactions: Nitt Fan
Im sure this has been going on for awhile. Im sure the Dad and son have had conversations on it.

But I go back to the UoM match, when Tony left the mat and UT went to talk to him, grabbed his arm and Tony shrugged him off. Then went to sit down away from where UT could talk to him right after. Im sure they talked about the match later. But in the moment he wanted left alone. So I dont know what to think about this. I think if Cael wanted it over, it would be over. So for now, when tony takes the mat, fans need to just deal with it. I trust in Cael.

After once again hearing horror stories from Tulsa, about crazy ass parents, this simply isnt healthy. Whether you are 7 in podunk novice tournament in MD or live on ESPiNu, it just doesnt seem to be doing anything for the wrestler. It probably does more harm than good long term as we see our #s dwindle at the HS level.

That said, when you see the antics of TnT, Manning, the Mongolian FS Coaches, Russians, etc craziness is and will always be a small segment of our sport and sports in general.

The worst part of youth sports will always be the crazy parents.

when Cael was asked how it felt to be back in Rec Hall filled with fans at the beginning of the season, he mentioned he thought it sounded “very quiet”.
I think it’s good Uncle Tony making some noise, and he does it for all the guys.
With all the fans in masks I think it makes most fans less vocal and too quiet.
more overall crowd noise brings more energy. Maybe Uncle Tony could lead some group cheers like the raucous Iranian wrestling fans all do. Bring a horn UT and get them going!

ADVERTISEMENT