ADVERTISEMENT

UMich DE Working On His Heisman Speech!

He is the best player in the country by a country mile. He won't win it because the kid from Bama will but he is still The Most Outstanding Player.

Hutchinson: 14 sacks, 15.5 TFL
Will Anderson: 15.5 sacks, 31.5 TFL

Outstanding pass rusher, but makes very few plays behind the line of scrimmage other than his sacks (1.5 of them, to be precise). Anderson is a total wrecking ball whether he sacks the QB or not.

Don't be envious of his success. We had Micah Parsons - had he continued he might very well have been in same position. Evidence- -he has been incredi ble with the Cowboys.

Outstanding pass rusher, but makes very few plays behind the line of scrimmage other than his sacks (1.5 of them, to be precise). Anderson is a total wrecking ball whether he sacks the QB or not.
Apples to Oranges. Anderson played a much easier schedule. He also plays the blind side almost exclusively as a 3-4 outside backer. He should have those number given the number of blowouts Bama had playing a weak schedule. Hutchinson played the majority of his snaps from a 5 tech base end position against a much stronger schedule. How many sacks or tackles for losses did Oweh get last year doing the same in the same defense? I get you hate Michigan. So do I. But this is nonsense. It isn't close.

Again, apples to oranges. Hutchinson is by far the best player I have seen this year.

Apples to Oranges. Anderson played a much easier schedule. He also plays the blind side almost exclusively as a 3-4 outside backer. He should have those number given the number of blowouts Bama had playing a weak schedule. Hutchinson played the majority of his snaps from a 5 tech base end position against a much stronger schedule. How many sacks or tackles for losses did Oweh get last year doing the same in the same defense? I get you hate Michigan. So do I. But this is nonsense. It isn't close.

Again, apples to oranges. Hutchinson is by far the best player I have seen this year.

I'm assuming you've done an analysis of the offensive line groups on Alabama's schedule vs. Michigan's schedule?

Mind if you share?

Because looking at OL sack rate percentages, Alabama has actually faced the better schedule of OLs. Of the top-30 OLs in the country against sacks, Alabama has faced 5 of them. Michigan has faced 4 of them.

Your argument of Anderson playing blindside OLB doesn't make sense. In Alabama's 3-4 scheme, Anderson is going to get matched up with the opponent's top OT -- just like Hutchinson is. Anderson plays a TON of snaps with his hand in the dirt -- just like Hutchinson. Those OLBs in Saban's scheme serve the same function as a down strongside DE at Michigan. They draw the same attention.

Number of blowouts? That also doesn't hold up to the evidence. First, Anderson isn't accumulating stats in garbage time. And second, Michigan has been winning games just as comfortably as Bama. Did you miss the Bama-Auburn game? Bama-Florida? Bama-LSU? Bama-Arkansas? Even Bama-Tennessee was close in the 2nd half before they blew it open. This Bama team has played in many close games.

I have no idea what point you're making about Oweh. That's not even relevant to this discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu2016 and wilbury

Anderson is a beast. Think their respective NFL Draft rankings speaks to how differently they are viewed as pass rushers though. And with respect to Hutchinson making “few plays other than sacks…”

Anderson is a beast. Think their respective NFL Draft rankings speaks to how differently they are viewed as pass rushers though. And with respect to Hutchinson making “few plays other than sacks…”

I didn't say Hutchinson made "few plays other than sacks".

I said he makes "very few plays behind the line of scrimmage other than sacks".

That's a significant difference. Hutchinson is a stud. But Anderson is arguably the most dominant defensive force behind the line of scrimmage in years.

I never diminished Hutchinson. Rather, I think Anderson is better.......and probably the best player in CFB.

But unlike Anderson, Hutchinson had Joel Klatt and the national media hyping him after the Ohio State game, in part because of how Hutchinson staked his whole career on finally getting a win over OSU.......which he did in impressive fashion. Anderson didn't have that storyline. But he was a more dominant player all year long.

I didn't say Hutchinson made "few plays other than sacks".

I said he makes "very few plays behind the line of scrimmage other than sacks".

That's a significant difference. Hutchinson is a stud. But Anderson is arguably the most dominant defensive force behind the line of scrimmage in years.

I never diminished Hutchinson. Rather, I think Anderson is better.......and probably the best player in CFB.
I’m not gonna diminish Anderson; he’s an absolute beast as I said.

By your definition, QB pressures are not plays made behind the line scrimmage?

Reactions: joeaubie21
I’m not gonna diminish Anderson; he’s an absolute beast as I said.

By your definition, QB pressures are not plays made behind the line scrimmage?

No doubt QB pressures are important. But that doesn't necessarily disrupt the play. Not if QBs step up in the pocket and make throws, or dump off to a back, or roll out successfully. A lot of those pressures Hutchinson had against CJ Stroud still resulted in completions downfield. Although others definitely disrupted the play.

Just one man's opinion, but the TFL is one of the most valuable stats in football. It's why Courtney Brown was so destructive. It wasn't just the QB sack, but he blew up so many run plays behind the LOS. He had something like 15 TFLs his final year OTHER than sacks. You could not run the ball to his side of the field, period. Will Anderson has a similar effect -- he takes away an entire side of the LOS in a way that nobody else does.

Hutchinson is probably the best pure pass rusher in the country. But Will Anderson is a Derrick Thomas, just blows up everything around him.

Reactions: Anison
I think the 4th Heisman spot - or at least the non-QB spot - came down to Hutchison vs Anderson and besides all of the info listed above, one of the factors entering into it was that Anderson was somewhat penalized because his teammate - Bryce Young - is already one of the finalists and is also the heavy favorite. I think the committee / voters try to stay away from 2 players from one team unless it's just too obvious that it can't be avoided

If WallAss Breen isn’t taking a shot at PSU in general or Franklin specifically, he isn’t posting.
I have no idea what point you're making about Oweh. That's not even relevant to this discussion.
Except that is relevant. Hutchinson played a majority of snaps lined up as the 5 tech end which means he is not primarily a pass rusher or disruptor on most plays. That is the difference. Hutchinson had far fewer opportunities to make plays yet his stats...are very strong with far fewer plays to make them.

Reactions: RichardMassive
Except that is relevant. Hutchinson played a majority of snaps lined up as the 5 tech end which means he is not primarily a pass rusher or disruptor on most plays. That is the difference. Hutchinson had far fewer opportunities to make plays yet his stats...are very strong with far fewer plays to make them.
Dear God get your balls out of Harbaugh's mouth already. He won't be able to eat boogers and steak with his milk.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT