UM reaches $490 million settlement with Anderson accusers

SLUPSU

Aug 5, 2018
  • Wow
Reactions: Hotshoe

creamery freak

Jul 26, 2014
So I assume this is scrolling on the ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU ticker twice every minute? :rolleyes:
Chump change when you divide 490 mil by 1050 vics, you're at less than 500k per vic. That pales in comparison to our unvetted claims of over 2 mil per victim.
Michigan is Michigan State's little brother, as they paid out 10 million dollars more in the Nassar suit!
No Sandusky mentions in the article? I guess America has forgotten, so raise a hallelujah to Karen and Kenny! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

PSU2UNC

Feb 9, 2016
So I assume this is scrolling on the ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU ticker twice every minute? :rolleyes:
Chump change when you divide 490 mil by 1050 vics, you're at less than 500k per vic. That pales in comparison to our unvetted claims of over 2 mil per victim.
Michigan is Michigan State's little brother, as they paid out 10 million dollars more in the Nassar suit!
No Sandusky mentions in the article? I guess America has forgotten, so raise a hallelujah to Karen and Kenny! :rolleyes:
What is amazing to me about the Michigan situation is that this actually involved the health and safety of student athletes; in other words, the NCAA could ABSOLUTELY have intervened here and been well within their mandate and bylaws to do so.

The same thing can be said of the MSU and OSU abuse cases.

The only place the NCAA did insert itself, without any student athletes being involved and without any NCAA rules being broken, was PSU.

Just flabbergasting.

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
What is amazing to me about the Michigan situation is that this actually involved the health and safety of student athletes; in other words, the NCAA could ABSOLUTELY have intervened here and been well within their mandate and bylaws to do so.

The only place the NCAA did insert itself, without any student athletes being involved and without any NCAA rules being broken, was PSU.

Just flabbergasting.
That is a great point. IMHO, the difference between UM and PSU was that they could destroy an icon in Joe and the BOT's abysmal handling of the situation.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
That is a great point. IMHO, the difference between UM and PSU was that they could destroy an icon in Joe and the BOT's abysmal handling of the situation.
The difference was Penn State came first. Once you do a college pedo thing they'll move onto something else . Don't forget the lessons learned by the ncaa about staying in their lane.
As for those I know who deal with this issue one big complaint is how little press it gets.

Reactions: dswartz

PSU2UNC

Feb 9, 2016
The difference was Penn State came first. Once you do a college pedo thing they'll move onto something else . Don't forget the lessons learned by the ncaa about staying in their lane.
As for those I know who deal with this issue one big complaint is how little press it gets.
The important point here is that UM, MSU and OSU actually ARE in the NCAA's lane (unlike PSU).

These assaults happened to college athletes, by a doctor employed by the school to care for them during the academic/athletic careers. That is exactly the sort of oversight the NCAA has.

PSU had nothing to do with athletics, college athletes or the NCAA.

MacNit07

Aug 5, 2017

Just flabbergasting.
NCAA and Big10…crooked to the core!

CentexLion

Jul 9, 2001
NCAA and Big10…crooked to the core!
Penn State has no-one to blame but themselves. The BOT, the administration, and the PA politicians enabled the narrative, and if they just pushed back a little, there would have been no NCAA or BIG10 sanctions. These are the weakest leaders that I have ever seen at a large company or institution. And I don't believe we have made teh University any better on the BOT at all since. I used to blame the NCAA and BIG10, but they were handed this on a golden platter by Penn State. This has been the NCAA's only "victory" in the last 30 years, and it's only justification for advancing their charter (sucked up by the general population of the uninformed that the NCAA was doing the right thing). And I don't blame the uninformed as well. When we are called Pedo State, this was driven by the BOT/Admin/Politicians, as how can they even fathom the University committing unprovoked suicide? A little pushback and this becomes a Sandusky/Second Mile story, which stays in the headlines for less than a week. And there is no longer any pushback on the narrative. Heck, even the Paterno family made amends with the University that has soiled Joe's legacy forever probably. That is the one that I can't understand

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
True. They did not care about OSU, Mich, or Mich State. All of which were terrible and impacted the welfare of students as well.
The child abuse people ( those working on the front lines and such ) will tell you people don't pay attention to the issue .

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
Penn State has no-one to blame but themselves. The BOT, the administration, and the PA politicians enabled the narrative, and if they just pushed back a little, there would have been no NCAA or BIG10 sanctions. These are the weakest leaders that I have ever seen at a large company or institution. And I don't believe we have made teh University any better on the BOT at all since. I used to blame the NCAA and BIG10, but they were handed this on a golden platter by Penn State. This has been the NCAA's only "victory" in the last 30 years, and it's only justification for advancing their charter (sucked up by the general population of the uninformed that the NCAA was doing the right thing). And I don't blame the uninformed as well. When we are called Pedo State, this was driven by the BOT/Admin/Politicians, as how can they even fathom the University committing unprovoked suicide? A little pushback and this becomes a Sandusky/Second Mile story, which stays in the headlines for less than a week. And there is no longer any pushback on the narrative. Heck, even the Paterno family made amends with the University that has soiled Joe's legacy forever probably. That is the one that I can't understand
My take is counter to what almost anyone here will agree with but no.

• Haha
Reactions: RGWhirly

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012

This same post was locked on 247. Unbelievable.

Cowbell Man

Feb 2, 2002
And have to remind…yet again…..those three institutions had HUNDREDS of students reporting the abuse at the time and it was swept under.

But PSU was supposed to have known what was going on with zero students reporting and zero victims reporting.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
And have to remind…yet again…..those three institutions had HUNDREDS of students reporting the abuse at the time and it was swept under.

But PSU was supposed to have known what was going on with zero students reporting and zero victims reporting.
Not the point, the two cases are quite different and both very bad.

RGWhirly

Jul 30, 2017
Not the point, the two cases are quite different and both very bad.
No. He has a point. And yes, all cases at all the schools were bad. Sometimes you should try to use just a little restraint and stop telling everyone else they are wrong all the time. Just because you have a differing opinion does not mean your opinion/view is always correct. You are almost more obnoxious than WeR. Difference is he is a nut, you are not.

Reactions: Nostraduzzi

WHCANole

Oct 18, 2002
And the victims were kids not adults.

WHCANole

Oct 18, 2002
Because Anderson is guilty.
So are all the PSU folks who either went to jail or were disgraced. Didn't stop him then.

BTW, Was Anderson convicted in a court of law for sexual abuse of these athletes?

CSS and Jerry were tried and convicted.

Last edited:

WHCANole

Oct 18, 2002

Aren't all those involved long dead now? Schembechler and Anderson?

SLUPSU

Aug 5, 2018
So are all the PSU folks who either went to jail or were disgraced. Didn't stop him then.

BTW, Was Anderson convicted in a court of law for sexual abuse of these athletes?

Anderson has been dead since 2008.

PA college fan

Jun 26, 2001
Bo Knew!!! Statue needs to come down— 1000 student athletes molested over 40 years— 490 million— by all numbers largest sex abuse scandal in college history belongs to Michigan— whose alumni were so smug before and now hardly say anything. Michigan bought the doctors practice in the 90s after they knew and somehow the medical records of students vanished!!

Michigan State settlement about same for Nassar. Penn State 109 million for 33 plus seems small by comparison but incredibly sad as
it involved children. People in power at so many institutions did so many bad deeds. Probably only small percentage has come to light —and some never may come out.

All of it is horrible beyond belief—maybe we need to come to terms that last many generations so many bad things were done and swept under rug at many institutions (colleges, churches) and we are going through a reckoning of past in so many ways and humans are perhaps evolving to a safer life. Despite all the current problems, we are lucky to be living now than back then in some ways and maybe worse in other ways.

The displaced punishment by Emmert and NCAA in 2012 on players and students and fans for something they had nothing to do with looks worse and worse ten years later. Penn State has survived the punishment and none of the dire scenarios predicted has come to pass as it is mostly a great university with some arrogant administrators, before and now. Because of what it means to students, endowment has doubled to 4.6 billion, overtaking Pitt and now no 7 of public schools in US and no.25 of all universities.

I only have sympathy for Michigan fans. and students— but they do need to look in mirror (Desmond Howard )for being so smug and wanting Paterno statue down and keeping Bo statue up.

WHCANole

Oct 18, 2002
Bo Knew!!! Statue needs to come down— 1000 student athletes molested over 40 years— 490 million— by all numbers largest sex abuse scandal in college history belongs to Michigan— whose alumni were so smug before and now hardly say anything. Michigan bought the doctors practice in the 90s after they knew and somehow the medical records of students vanished!!

Michigan State settlement about same for Nassar. Penn State 109 million for 33 plus seems small by comparison but incredibly sad as
it involved children. People in power at so many institutions did so many bad deeds. Probably only small percentage has come to light —and some never may come out.

All of it is horrible beyond belief—maybe we need to come to terms that last many generations so many bad things were done and swept under rug at many institutions (colleges, churches) and we are going through a reckoning of past in so many ways and humans are perhaps evolving to a safer life. Despite all the current problems, we are lucky to be living now than back then in some ways and maybe worse in other ways.

The displaced punishment by Emmert and NCAA in 2012 on players and students and fans for something they had nothing to do with looks worse and worse ten years later. Penn State has survived the punishment and none of the dire scenarios predicted has come to pass as it is mostly a great university with some arrogant administrators, before and now. Because of what it means to students, endowment has doubled to 4.6 billion, overtaking Pitt and now no 7 of public schools in US and no.25 of all universities.

I only have sympathy for Michigan fans. and students— but they do need to look in mirror (Desmond Howard )for being so smug and wanting Paterno statue down and keeping Bo statue up.
What proof is there that Bo knew?

PSU2UNC

Feb 9, 2016

As discussed with you many times previously, being convicted and being guilty are not the same thing. Do you really want to start this again, Troll Boy?

WHCANole

Oct 18, 2002
As discussed with you many times previously, being convicted and being guilty are not the same thing. Do you really want to start this again, Troll Boy?
Start what ever you may wish my Cultist adversary, but I do find it interesting that you consider one fellow guilty who never had a trial or his day in court and others (church members) who did have a trial, and were lawfully convicted, innocent. You seem to disregard the legal system when it suits your religious beliefs. Or maybe throwing shade at Michigan makes you feel better about the failures of PSU? I hope Ziegler is making a lot of money off of your church.

Also, what are you basing your idea that Anderson is guilty? Witnesses lying for money? 🤣

Last edited:

PSU2UNC

Feb 9, 2016
Start what ever you may wish my Cultist adversary, but I do find it interesting that you consider one fellow guilty who never had a trial or his day in court and others (church members) who did have a trial, and were lawfully convicted, innocent. You seem to disregard the legal system when it suits your religious beliefs. Or maybe throwing shade at Michigan makes you feel better about the failures of PSU? I hope Ziegler is making a lot of money off of your church.

Also, what are you basing your idea that Anderson is guilty? Witnesses lying for money? 🤣
Anderson had MANY (dozens) of contemporaneous reports of abuse, with hundreds of accusers that came forward before Michigan promised paying a dime. That is hugely different than eight accusers (most with the same attorney) who all initially denied any abuse and then changed their story once PSU promised to pay.

Had Anderson also received an unfair trial (he died before this tragedy was exposed) I would also argue that he deserves a re-trial, although I think in his case his guilt is pretty clear.

Even someone who is bad at math understands that 1000 accusers who received settlements is slightly different than 30. Right?

Reactions: Hotshoe

WHCANole

Oct 18, 2002
Anderson had MANY (dozens) of contemporaneous reports of abuse, with hundreds of accusers that came forward before Michigan promised paying a dime. That is hugely different than eight accusers (most with the same attorney) who all initially denied any abuse and then changed their story once PSU promised to pay.
Sandusky had contemporaneous reports as well dating back to the 70s. Also, the accusers at Sandusky's trial were not promised anything prior to his conviction and had Sandusky been acquitted would have received nothing. Ray Blehar documents this.
Had Anderson also received an unfair trial (he died before this tragedy was exposed) I would also argue that he deserves a re-trial, although I think in his case his guilt is pretty clear.
No more clear than Sandusky's and CSS. But they had their day in court and Anderson did not. He is long dead and has no way to defend himself or confront his accusers. This excuse is one I see the cultists use a lot regrading Joe. Why doesn't Anderson get the same benefit? I guess he isn't a member of the Church or the head of it. How do you know they aren't just lying to get money?
Even someone who is bad at math understands that 1000 accusers who received settlements is slightly different than 30. Right?
So, it's purely a numbers thing? 30 accusers is a lot and would take quite a conspiracy to all coordinate their lies. What number would one have to reach to make someone guilty (in this case without a trial)? 50, 100, 500?

Plus, there was no promise of paydirt for Sandusky's victims initially as that came after Sandusky's conviction. Blehar confirms.

Why did these 1000s of ADULT accusers not go to the police? Why didn't they sue beforehand rather than wait long after Anderson was dead?

See, the same BS you and Ziegler use to defend Sandusky and CSS plus Joe can be used to defend Anderson but he is not a religious icon is he? That is the fascinating part to me.