ADVERTISEMENT

Uh Oh - 1976???

So let me get this straight.

In 1976, alleged victim claims he told Paterno about abuse.

In 1977, Paterno promoted Sandusky to defensive coordinator.

In 1977, Sandusky founded The Second Mile.

How did this person, in 1976, meet Sandusky, how was he abused and where, and why did HIS PARENTS determine that the proper course of action was to tell Paterno?

And Paterno's reaction this would have been to PROMOTE Sandusky?

And the PARENTS would sit silently by and say nothing about this to the police, child welfare, or anyone else at PSU.

I'd love to see this person's deposition. I'm sure it's a doozy.
Ray, you need to look into this pronto. It is utterly UN believable

Reactions: jjsocrates
You are leaving out a few important parts...1).that 40 yrs later this would all of a sudden come to light in regards to an insurance companies claims....2) That the "investigative journalists" of the country would run with it and have it printed...3) People would actually believe it! No wonder why countries around the world laugh at us...
[/QUOTE]

Investigative journalists? WHERE??? Has there been a sighting???

Media "vulture" Sara Ganim was just on HLN stating she got a report by someone claiming CSA in 1971 who also claims reporting it to JVP.

Seriously? JVP = ChildLine???
if true this is truly getting comical.... So all these kids report this to Joe and not to authorities as well as these kids parents don't raise a stink when nothing happens when Joe supposedly keeps a lid on this??? Next up will be a report someone told Joe in 1918 that JS was after him in the shower...

Ray, you need to look into this pronto. It is utterly UN believable

I can't fix stupid.

Reporters were stupid enough to believe the UNBELIEVABLE tale of a "Conspiracy of Silence" at PSU -- even though it was confirmed by Freeh that PSU reported it outside PSU in 1998 and in 2001 and that PSU never instructed McQueary to keep quiet about what he observed.

It is highly probable that a PSU attorney made sure that Charlie Thompson and the Patriot News were made aware of this 1976 allegation as a means of deflecting attention away from the REAL STORY....

...that PSU paid out nearly $100 million in settlements under the premise that insurance would reimburse all the money.

The BOT legal and compliance committee (Eckel, Lubert, et al) and PSU attorneys really screwed up and failed in their fiduciary duties. Again, that's the REAL STORY here.

GTF outta here with your bull crap. Joe did exactly as PSU policy and state law dictated, report to your superior and then stay out of it.

MM testified that NO ONE AT PSU EVER TOLD HIM TO KEEP QUIET. He was free to file a report with UPPD whenever he wanted but he apparently didn't feel strongly enough about what he THOUGHT was happening that night to take that step. He was 28 years old and he certainly didn't need Joe to tell him that he needed to go to the police if he wanted a criminal investigation (instead of an HR issue) to get started.

MM also testified that he expressed no dissatisfaction and never said MORE needed to be done when TC called him a few weeks later to follow up.

I doubt Joe even knew the policy. I doubt he followed every policy. There are a million university policies and some of them change by the day. The policy was obviously wrong and has since been changed.

You also flip on the issue. YOu wanted MM to go to the police on his own but Joe was supposed to go to his boss.

Reactions: Osprey Lion
It is highly probable that a PSU attorney made sure that Charlie Thompson and the Patriot News were made aware of this 1976 allegation as a means of deflecting attention away from the REAL STORY....

...that PSU paid out nearly $100 million in settlements under the premise that insurance would reimburse all the money.

The BOT legal and compliance committee (Eckel, Lubert, et al) and PSU attorneys really screwed up and failed in their fiduciary duties. Again, that's the REAL STORY here.

Does that include the BOT members that you support or just the individuals you do not support?

I doubt Joe even knew the policy. I doubt he followed every policy. There are a million university policies and some of them change by the day. The policy was obviously wrong and has since been changed.

You also flip on the issue. YOu wanted MM to go to the police on his own but Joe was supposed to go to his boss.

Because MM was the witness. He was the only witness. Of course he should have gone to the police. If he truly saw what he later claimed to have seen, he should have been on the phone with the police while the sound of his mighty locker door slam was still reverberating throughout the locker room. Coward or liar, those are the only two choices when it comes to describing MM.

Because MM was the witness. He was the only witness. Of course he should have gone to the police. If he truly saw what he later claimed to have seen, he should have been on the phone with the police while the sound of his mighty locker door slam was still reverberating throughout the locker room. Coward or liar, those are the only two choices when it comes to describing MM.

True but once Joe was involved he should have told him to go to the police too. Too much smoke for Joe not to know. He should not have been involved but once he was he needed to send mM to the police.

And those investigators are going to discover what about an alleged incident that took place 40 years ago? Witnesses to the alleged incident? Witnesses to the child allegedly telling Paterno?

And how does a child go to a head coach alone? Where did he live? Did he drive over by himself?? OK his parents took him over--and they didn't even report it to the police but left it to Joe? This is crazy.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles

You know as much about this subject as you knew about DuPont and Villanova, which means not much.

Paterno followed university policy, which BTW is now NCAA policy.

True but once Joe was involved he should have told him to go to the police too. Too much smoke for Joe not to know. He should not have been involved but once he was he needed to send mM to the police.

a 26/27 year old, former starting Div. 1A QB needs to be told to go to the police after witnessing a child being raped? Seriously? Honestly, I really don't think it's even questionable whether what MM says happened in 2001 actually happened. Nobody, including MM, acted like a child had been raped. So either they were all monsters, or it didn't happen and MM changed his story later. No question in my mind which it was.

Dear Lord will you just leave already. Go to the Lair or pennlive... you get discredited with facts over and over yet spew the same drivel every day here. A classic definition of troll ....

Is it true that the Enquirer reported that PSU actually paid someone who claimed to have been assaulted in 1976?

Reactions: 91Joe95

Joe couldn't go to the police because he didn't witness anything you idiot! For all we know Joe told MM he should go to the police and MM said no because he wasn't sure enough to take that step. The first thing the police would say is that they need to speak with and get a statement from the witness. What would Joe say, sorry the witness is too shy to talk to you directly?? Come on now.....Joe said he had to look up what to do since JS wasn't even an employee of his anymore. The policy stated he was to report it to his superior, which he did.

He also put MM in DIRECT touch with Schultz who had oversight of UPPD so in a way Joe put him in touch with someone who was the chief of police's boss. Why didn't MM ever ask Schultz to send someone from UPPD to get his statement if he was certain a kid was being abused that night? Instead MM waits 10 days to talk with C/S, then when TC calls him a few weeks later and after MM never sees JS get arrested and no one from UPPD ever came to get a written statement from him, he expresses no dissatisfaction or says MORE needed to be done. Chew on that for a few minutes.

One more time, MM didn't need Joe to tell him that he needed to call police and he was free to do so at any point if he felt it was warranted, apparently he didn't.

Riddle me this Batman.

An 11 year old - if he needs to get anywhere back in the 70's rode his Schwinn. I did.

So we are to believe that a kid can gain an audience with a Division 1 football coach all by himself. So did he ride his Schwinn up onto campus, find Paterno's office and plunk down in a chair with Joe?

Or - did mom, dad or a guardian arrange such an appointment? In which case - what the hell did they do?

Honestly - critical thinking skills went down the toilet.

And PSU paid this person without even asking such basic logistics?

Not to mention, what was the "source" of his contact with Sandusky? Was he a resident at one of the "Group Homes for Wayward Boys" that Sandusky ran in the early-to-mid 70s via the DPW's Centre County CYS Office before founding TSM? (in fact, it is well-documented that these Group Homes and Adoption were Sandusky's initial entrees to DPW/CYS and how he established a close working relationship with them prior to founding TSM - actually, these original entrees were supposedly what gave him the idea to found TSM according to Sandusky himself because the Charity would allow him to "help" and "impact" thousands of kids rather than just a couple dozen at a time....believe he ran multiple group homes prior to founding TSM).

So assuming the source of this kids connection to Sandusky and Sandusky's access to him was the Group Homes Sandusky ran via DPW regulation (the most logical source IMHO), why would this kid report his abuse to Joe Paterno, the HC of a College Football team, of all people? These Group Homes are regulated via DPW and their CYS Office including directly visiting with the kids in the home and giving them the proper protocol for making reports (I believe each house has to be staffed by an adult "House Manager" for lack of a better term that maintains a direct relationship with the CYS Supervising Office). Why would a child under a "Safe Hold Program" registered with DPW and their Supervising CYS Office go outside of the "protocol" for filing a report and why would they file a report with "Joe Paterno" when JVP has nothing whatsoever to do with this portion of Sandusky's life, nor is Sandusky responsible and accountable for anything relative to JVP except his employment responsibilities at PSU as an Asst. Football Coach???

Reactions: WeR0206
Does that include the BOT members that you support or just the individuals you do not support?

It condemns ALL those on the PSU Legal & Compliance Committee that approved settlements July 2013: LUBERT (CHAIR), FRAZIER, ECKEL, MASSER, CASEY, DANDREA, GREIG, and TALIAFERRO.

DUNHAM was the PSU GC at the time -- and, IMHO, had to be either be corrupt. stupid, or both to accept the position at PSU.

a 26/27 year old, former starting Div. 1A QB needs to be told to go to the police after witnessing a child being raped? Seriously? Honestly, I really don't think it's even questionable whether what MM says happened in 2001 actually happened. Nobody, including MM, acted like a child had been raped. So either they were all monsters, or it didn't happen and MM changed his story later. No question in my mind which it was.

Police? You see that and wouldn't stop it yourself? A young, former football player?

"Uh, none of my business."????

It's absolute horse shiat. People will believe anything but the truth.

I be smellin some insurance fraud here somewhere's....what y'all think???

Erickson's notes indicated how the fraud would operate by using Hershey Med to provide medical services (counseling) to claimants -- to support personal injury claims.

PSU tried to use personal (bodily) injury claims to get around the CSA/SA exclusions in its policy.

The policy has that Joe followed has been posted here and elsewhere. The policy wasn't wrong. Ask some employees who work at other Universities & colleges. They will tell you the policy is to report to their supervisor.

And how does a child go to a head coach alone? Where did he live? Did he drive over by himself?? OK his parents took him over--and they didn't even report it to the police but left it to Joe? This is crazy.

Apparently, the kid and his best friend played pinochle with Joe & Jerry on Wednesday nights....read Sara Ganim's exclusive report ;-)

laugh.r191677.gif

Liar or coward pretty much sums it up

This is utterly nonsensical. First off, kids don't tend to report abuse and if they do, it is only to a most trusted adult, why would this kid go to Paterno? Now there is a report of Paterno being told in 1971 by another "victim." Let's face it, this Andrew Shubin attorney long ago started coaching his clients to tie this back to Paterno or they would'nt see a dime from PSU. So now you have a bunch of victims telling the OAG that they randomly told Paterno of molestation and he did nothing about it thus putting the liability on Penn State's lap. A proverbial hot potato that the school has been happy to just pay.and pass on and it always ends back on the Paterno's front yard.

It's real simple. Unless more information comes to light, we have to assume the 1976 allegation is false. There isn't nearly enough here to take seriously, but many people, including much of the media, are going with guilty until proven innocent and as someone said, it's difficult to prove a negative.

Reactions: WeR0206
Riddle me this Batman.

An 11 year old - if he needs to get anywhere back in the 70's rode his Schwinn. I did.

So we are to believe that a kid can gain an audience with a Division 1 football coach all by himself. So did he ride his Schwinn up onto campus, find Paterno's office and plunk down in a chair with Joe?

Or - did mom, dad or a guardian arrange such an appointment? In which case - what the hell did they do?

Wendy, Wendy, Wendy You are just not looking at this logically. Obviously the kid sent a Western Union telegraph to Joe. I bet Freeh has a copy of it somewhere in reserve, complete with white out, mismatched fonts, crooked mismatched lines and a section on top that is taped to the first copy.

Riddle me this Batman.

Let's examine PSU's vetting process of these claims.

Victim 10 received a payment even though his deposition to PSU was wildly different than his court testimony.
-- At court, he testified to 3 isolated incidents over a 2-3 year period..
-- According to his interview after the settlement, he alleged to be like a family member and being abused repeatedly for 3 years.
-- Victim 10 was released from prison in July 2009. He had a criminal record that included drug possession and strong arm robbery.
-- He came forward after the presentment in November 2011.

Victim 5 was paid the highest settlement in the first round of claims b/c he alleged to be abused in August 2001 -- after the MM incident.
-- He originally told the GJ the incident took place in 1998.
-- In November 2011, he approached the AG after the GJ report was published & claimed he might have been the kid in the 2000 janitor incident.
-- ;AND...drum roll please...the jury DIDN'T find his story of being groped to be credible.
Again, LARGEST PAYMENT because of the DATE of the alleged incident.

Victim 9 was denied payment (because it exceeded the insurance coverage)
-- V9 was eventually provided untold millions when a judge ruled that he had complete access to the Freeh Report source materials.
Victim 9 then AWARDED LARGEST PAYMENT because of potential damage Freeh Source materials would have on BOT credibility.

Now that the trustees have access to Freeh Source matls & BOT knows the truth is going to come out....this unfounded, unsupported & illogical allegation gets into the press.

Gotta disagree with you Joe. PSU [the leadership not the football program] has proven to be every bit as corrupt as the catholic church.

None more corrupt than the former AG, Governor Trustee Corbutt, who as the most powerful and influential member of the Board hijacked it for his own purposes. IOW, the Government and PA GOP are every bit , if not infinitely more, corrupt than the Catholic Church given how many people their "moral hazard" corruption "EFFECTS" - their tyranny driven corruption and "moral hazard" harms the basic civil rights of every citizen in the State (that would be nearly 13 million people!) far more than "the Catholic Church".

ADVERTISEMENT