ADVERTISEMENT

U23 Worlds - Wonder who will go?

Does anyone want to play the Wrestling for Life game, to help make up for Spyker's default? Pledge $XX dollars for every win by the team?

There will have to be a lot of college kids if US is going to fill a decent team. Narrowing down from the old University ages to U-23 shuts out a lot of the recent grads.

I would like to see Mark take some time off and focus on folkstyle. This season is critical to his run for four titles. If he makes the best use of this season his junior and senior years should look a lot like The Zain-Nolf- Bo dominance.

I would like to see Mark take some time off and focus on folkstyle. This season is critical to his run for four titles. If he makes the best use of this season his junior and senior years should look a lot like The Zain-Nolf- Bo dominance.
I agree with Mark not going but not to focus on folk but bc of the weight classes. 74kilos will be a big cut in middle of the season for the tournament (I already assume he would win the spot) and 86 kilos he would be extremely undersized for on the international scene. If it was the new weight classes I would not have an issue bc 79 kilos fits right where he is.

I agree with Mark not going but not to focus on folk but bc of the weight classes. 74kilos will be a big cut in middle of the season for the tournament (I already assume he would win the spot) and 86 kilos he would be extremely undersized for on the international scene. If it was the new weight classes I would not have an issue bc 79 kilos fits right where he is.
Good points made there. Didn't think of this.

I'm also worried about injury. Mark has been doing two seasons a year since Eighth grade and seems ok with it. And I would like him healthy for this season.

Ohio State is sending Tomasello, Martin, and McKenna. Mayes from Mizzou is going. Josh Terao is going.

Think it's the typical "Don't sign up until day before" BS, but it could be interesting.

Mayes is under 23?

danny-trejo-lawyer-hed-2015.png

Then again, he's probably younger than the Russians.

Ohio State is sending Tomasello, Martin, and McKenna. Mayes from Mizzou is going. Josh Terao is going.

Think it's the typical "Don't sign up until day before" BS, but it could be interesting.
Can someone explain to me the upside for the college team? I see kids potentially getting injured moments before the season starts.

Can someone explain to me the upside for the college team? I see kids potentially getting injured moments before the season starts.
The latest buzz-phrase in college wrestling is "I want to be a World and Olympic Champion". Guys that are going D1 most often also wrestle freestyle. This is a chance to compete overseas. The same reason Snyder wrestles his own schedule. It gives coaches a "Look what we did with this guy"-card, on a World stage. Plus, it helps recruits see, "Well, I could do that if I go there."

Competitors wanna compete. Wrestling is wrestling, and programs get just as much clout (especially with tying RTCs) for having World/Olympic champs as they do National titles and Team National Titles.

That's just my perspective. The American wrestling dream is still to be an Olympic champion, but NCAA titles are obviously still very, very prestigious. If a college can prove that they can help them get both... That's a big recruiting point.

The latest buzz-phrase in college wrestling is "I want to be a World and Olympic Champion". Guys that are going D1 most often also wrestle freestyle. This is a chance to compete overseas. The same reason Snyder wrestles his own schedule. It gives coaches a "Look what we did with this guy"-card, on a World stage. Plus, it helps recruits see, "Well, I could do that if I go there."

Competitors wanna compete. Wrestling is wrestling, and programs get just as much clout (especially with tying RTCs) for having World/Olympic champs as they do National titles and Team National Titles.

That's just my perspective. The American wrestling dream is still to be an Olympic champion, but NCAA titles are obviously still very, very prestigious. If a college can prove that they can help them get both... That's a big recruiting point.
I can't remember a top guy, say top-10, getting injured in international competition, and losing a year's college wrestling. It is my opinion that, if that were to happen, it would change the tone of the discussion. Not saying it would affect guys going, just that the tone of the conversation would change.

I can't remember a top guy, say top-10, getting injured in international competition, and losing a year's college wrestling. It is my opinion that, if that were to happen, it would change the tone of the discussion. Not saying it would affect guys going, just that the tone of the conversation would change.
Thanks I love the international scene but the timing is off to me. I think they should handle it like the Open where juniors and seniors wrestle during the same event. But it's at the worlds obviously.

Maybe I'm a wuss???
Probably not.

People bring up the competition injury all the time without really thinking about it. The top guys at the top programs have tougher goes in practice for exponentially longer stretches than they would get in most freestyle tournaments they enter. So in reality they are less likely to get injured at UWW trials than at practice over those couple days.

I was at the NLWC golf outing last Friday, and asked several guys if they were going (or knew of anyone else going). They all said no, and that they were focusing on the upcoming college season. The only person that responded in the affirmative was Riley Lefever, one of the resident athletes.

Of course, I didn't get to speak with everyone on the team, but I got the sense from the college athletes (and coaches) that they're in folkstyle-mode now.

TIFWIW

I was at the NLWC golf outing last Friday, and asked several guys if they were going (or knew of anyone else going). They all said no, and that they were focusing on the upcoming college season. The only person that responded in the affirmative was Riley Lefever, one of the resident athletes.

Of course, I didn't get to speak with everyone on the team, but I got the sense from the college athletes (and coaches) that they're in folkstyle-mode now.

TIFWIW
Thanks for the info.

Any other impressions, such as whether any of our wrestlers are any good as golfers?

Reactions: jtothemfp

nice 1st post on the board. Look forward to future posts from you

Thanks for the info.

Any other impressions, such as whether any of our wrestlers are any good as golfers?

Most of the college guys were spread out on the course to greet golfers on various holes. The only one I saw golf was Nolf. And he was crushing it on the practice range.

On the other hand, the NLWC athletes and guests(I saw Provisor and Burak) were...umm...not so good :)

Nolf indicated he was a big golfer in the Track's series of "7 minutes with Jason Nolf"

TIFWIW
#vindication

G'Angelo Hancock up at 130kg? Hasn't he been competing at 98kg this year at both jr and sr worlds?

G'Angelo Hancock up at 130kg? Hasn't he been competing at 98kg this year at both jr and sr worlds?
And Kamal Bey up a weight to 80kg after competing at sr trials and jr worlds. Nearing the end of the year and both of these duses have competed as much as anybody this year. I guess these guys are taking a break from weight watching for an event that wasn't originally on the schedule while still taking the opportunity to compete.

Josh Rodriguez (57kg) and Riley Lefever (97kg) the only NLWC entrants. I know Mason made it sound like he was going, but who knows.

There will be some interesting brackets. LOVE the size of the Greco draws.

86kg FS is pretty interesting:
Brett Pfarr, Nathan Jackson, Ricky Robertson, Sammy Brooks, and Myles Martin.

Marstellar-Martinez at 74kg.

Jaydin Eierman, Joey McKenna, Brock Zacherl, Colton McCrystal, and Robbie Mathers at 65kg.

Seeds set: LINKY

Some nice freestyle 1-2 potential pairings:

• NaTo - Fix (Josh Rodriguez of NLWC #3)
• McKenna - Eierman
• IMar - Marsteller
• MyMar - Brooks (Sammy) [B. Pfarr and Nate Jackson @ 3-4]

70kg freestyle has Collica (1), Berger (3), Mayes (4), and Lewis (5).

The other NLWC participant, Lefevr, is #4 at 97kg, with Walz #1.

Surprised how thin some of the competition is...74 kg is a two man round robin between Imar and Marstellar??

Reactions: androcles
Josh won 12-1 in his first match. Looked good, but that might have been his competition.

Enjoyed watching Riley Lefever, he's solid. Better test for him will be semi against Ty Walz, likely next.

Josh probably isnt making a world team, but man is fix some kind of special. Juiced for his final with NaTo to see how he penetrates the HnH defense.

ADVERTISEMENT