ADVERTISEMENT

U23/Junior World Team Trials

82bordeaux

Nov 19, 2019
eriespecialty.com
Is anyone planning on attending the 2022 U23/U20 WTTs June 3--5 in Geneva, OH (about 45 minutes west of Erie)? I'm thinking of making it a weekend if any folks want to get together to watch some wrestling/fighting. Since it is Greco on Friday I was thinking we could have a watch party for Bo's fight Friday night. ( sorry @CropDuster507 ). I could do a little BBQ or pizzas in the pizza oven Friday night. Then watch Bo fight for 45 seconds.
Freestyle is scheduled for Saturday and Sunday. Either way, I'm going Saturday and Sunday. Any interest in getting together in Erie/Geneva, OH?

Is anyone planning on attending the 2022 U23/U20 WTTs June 3--5 in Geneva, OH (about 45 minutes west of Erie)? I'm thinking of making it a weekend if any folks want to get together to watch some wrestling/fighting. Since it is Greco on Friday I was thinking we could have a watch party for Bo's fight Friday night. ( sorry @CropDuster507 ). I could do a little BBQ or pizzas in the pizza oven Friday night. Then watch Bo fight for 45 seconds.
Freestyle is scheduled for Saturday and Sunday. Either way, I'm going Saturday and Sunday. Any interest in getting together in Erie/Geneva, OH?
giphy.gif

I might take in one day.

I am certain my better half would take any out of town spouses on an Ohio wine tour……..

The club guys might pull me to Kansas, and that's a blessing to ya'll, because I had half a mind to run down there with a juco guy and ruin your gathering after Greco conlcuded.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
The last time I saw Mike he was holding the down marker at a JH football game. His son was playing, but still its not like there wasn't someone else that could do it.

Fiery competitor but a really down to earth guy.
I love doing that....Bar none. Best spot at a football game.

Reactions: Ski and 1AA
The last time I saw Mike he was holding the down marker at a JH football game. His son was playing, but still its not like there wasn't someone else that could do it.

Fiery competitor but a really down to earth guy.
Doesn’t he coach the high school basketball team too?

Baseball HOFer… that you’ll run into at the local pizza joint in Montoursville.

I stopped being an Orioles fan when Angelos let him walk. Final straw.

Reactions: Lyons212
Doesn’t he coach the high school basketball team too?

Baseball HOFer… that you’ll run into at the local pizza joint in Montoursville.

I stopped being an Orioles fan when Angelos let him walk. Final straw.
Angelos didn't let him walk. Angelos pissed off Mussina into leaving, by screwing over BJ Surhoff.

Surhoff's kid required long-term care at Johns Hopkins. Angelos knew this, and knew that a trade would force Surhoff to choose between retirement or living away from his family for the duration of his contract. Angelos dumped him anyway, to spite him for some dysfunctional front office tiff.

Mussina may have left anyway because Angelos was not interested in winning if there was penny pinching to be done. But the Surhoff trade cemented that decision.

Reactions: Lyons212
Angelos didn't let him walk. Angelos pissed off Mussina into leaving, by screwing over BJ Surhoff.

Surhoff's kid required long-term care at Johns Hopkins. Angelos knew this, and knew that a trade would force Surhoff to choose between retirement or living away from his family for the duration of his contract. Angelos dumped him anyway, to spite him for some dysfunctional front office tiff.

Mussina may have left anyway because Angelos was not interested in winning if there was penny pinching to be done. But the Surhoff trade cemented that decision.
Is there anything you don't know?

Call it what you want. He walked. I blamed ownership. Sounds like jefe did too. Was last straw for me.

Is there anything you don't know?
Ha! Yeah, lots.

I followed Mussina's career very closely. We don't get guys that good from the area very often.

Plus I had a close friend in the industry at the time, heard tons of stories. That was one you remember.

Word at the time was when the Surhoff trade was announced internally, within seconds Orioles players were lining up reporters for "anonymously sourced" articles about Angelos and his stooge GM. Surhoff was popular in the clubhouse and in the city, and the players were pissed to a man about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
Ha! Yeah, lots.

I followed Mussina's career very closely. We don't get guys that good from the area very often.

Plus I had a close friend in the industry at the time, heard tons of stories. That was one you remember.

Word at the time was when the Surhoff trade was announced internally, within seconds Orioles players were lining up reporters for "anonymously sourced" articles about Angelos and his stooge GM. Surhoff was popular in the clubhouse and in the city, and the players were pissed to a man about it.
I was an Orioles fan starting when I was about 10. After Angelos fired Dave Johnson as manager at about the same time as Mussina left because Johnson wasn't touch feely enough for him I went on strike against the O's and they responded with 15 straight losing seasons. Angelos turned out to be the worst thing that ever happened to the O's.

I was an Orioles fan starting when I was about 10. After Angelos fired Dave Johnson as manager at about the same time as Mussina left because Johnson wasn't touch feely enough for him I went on strike against the O's and they responded with 15 straight losing seasons. Angelos turned out to be the worst thing that ever happened to the O's.
Was that why Angelos canned Johnson? I thought it was him pinching pennies again and making an internal hire -- but might be misremembering. The safe default assumptions for Angelos are going cheap stupidly, or occasionally spending money and doing that stupidly too.

Reactions: nitlion6
Was that why Angelos canned Johnson? I thought it was him pinching pennies again and making an internal hire -- but might be misremembering. The safe default assumptions for Angelos are going cheap stupidly, or occasionally spending money and doing that stupidly too.
Angelos used the excuse that Johnson gave the money from the players fines to a charity run by his wife. Technically Johnson resigned, but he was fired. Likely the real reason was Johnson got the credit for the Orioles making the playoffs in 96 and 97 and Angelos was jealous.

What a petty, spiteful person...egomaniac to boot.

I love how he used the excuse that if he did not by the Orioles, some out of the person would have become the owner. For us O's fans, what really sucks is that Angelos was able to out bid Bill DeWitt for the ownership of the Orioles. DeWitt went on the buy the Cardinals who subsequently won a few world series and have been consistently good.

Sounds like fun, but Robert Plant and Allison Kraus in Saratoga Springs await that weekend.

Reactions: SRATH and hlstone
Not an Orioles fan specifically, but visited Baltimore twice (my first flight on a plane was to BWI) to catch games. Mussina started and got the win on Friday and on Saturday saw Nolan Ryan get knocked in around in the 1st and gone after 3 innings and knocked down a few beers at Balls. A buddy of mine was playing for the Bowie Baysox at the time the season they played at Memorial Stadium and watched him play a couple of games. My buddy played for 9 years in the Orioles organization, including 3 at Rochester and never played a game in the Majors outside of Spring Training. 13 total years in MiLB and never made the Show. :(

The 2nd trip was in 1995 a week after Ripken broke the streak. Camden was still electric!

My last Orioles story was when they came to Hoover, AL to play and exhibition against the Phillies before then 1999 season. I worked in the Front Office for the Birmingham Barons at the time and we hosted the game. It was a beautiful sunny day with 13k+ attending. The starters played. Gave a clubhouse attendant a dozen baseballs and had a great score that day. Ripken, Mussina, Eddie Murray, Albert Belle, Harold Baines along with Curt Schilling, Scott Rolen, and Ron Gant. Nice one day haul! Albert Belle, as he was boarding the bus would not sign autographs for those waiting outside. He got on the bus, sat by the window in the first row, opened the window and told an intern to bring him the kids. They lined up kids and he signed for ever one of them (except one wearing an Indians hat). Probably signed for 30-40 kids, but wouldn't sign for 1 adult.

Reactions: kevin310
I married an O’s fan, and have started rooting for them by default. He went to their camps growing up, and has gone to games since he was a kid. Now even he is done with them. Getting rid of Bucky was his final straw. We still go to the Frederick Keys’ games though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT