ADVERTISEMENT

U20 and U23 Trials Thread

174 went from one of the deepest to one of the least stacked weights.

Massa, Hidlay, Kemerer all left. People on The Mat were hyping up “Mikey Labs” as the Starocci-Slayer all year. That question was answered; 6-1 Starocci in a match that was never really competitive. There’s Romero, Smith and Lautt after that. I don’t see any of those happening. Carter jumped levels training with the Olympic guys and Mekhi is the only guy I see being anywhere near him next year.

Last edited:

Massa, Hidlay, Kemerer all left. People on The Mar were hyping up “Mikey Labs” as the Starocci-Slayer all year. That question was answered; 6-1 Starocci in a match that was never really competitive. There’s Romero, Smith and Lautt after that. I don’t see any of those happening. Carter jumped levels training with the Olympic guys and Mekhi is the only guy I see being anywhere near him next year.
"The Mar" -- typo, or truth in advertising?

(BTW, completely agree on the substance of your post. 174 has 3 clear tiers: Carter, Lewis, then a big step down to everyone else. And the next biggest threats are all at 165.)

Massa, Hidlay, Kemerer all left. People on The Mat were hyping up “Mikey Labs” as the Starocci-Slayer all year. That question was answered; 6-1 Starocci in a match that was never really competitive. There’s Romero, Smith and Lautt after that. I don’t see any of those happening. Carter jumped levels training with the Olympic guys and Mekhi is the only guy I see being anywhere near him next year.
I can see Shane Griffith moving up but that was rumored last year as well and he said he doesn't get that big really.

Mekhi threw the sink at Carter in Detroit, I dont think its even remotely close the next time.

Didn’t I hear that O’Toole is moving up? 3 champs at 174 is salty, but I still pick Carter.

Reactions: Fatmarc
To be fair, Max was the beneficiary of about every call that was controversial. ... he could just as easily finish 3-5th as win it again. ... That said, I pick max to be a finalist again in Tulsa.

A wise pick. To be fair Max has the unique benefit of having Cael as a primary training partner. I say with a second year of what no other 197 can enjoy in the room, Max will be even better. Sure he had a fair number of very tight matches that he won with sheer grit, heart and determination. With a little bow and arrow thrown in for good measure. Anyone who typecasts Max or underestimates even more growth is being either foolish or naive.

To be fair, Max was the beneficiary of about every call that was controversial. I think @BFosr1 makes a fair point. I don't agree with it, but he could just as easily finish 3-5th as win it again. There are 4-5 guys that are all within a score of each other at that weight.
That said, I pick max to be a finalist again in Tulsa.
The argument basically boils down to this: Dean will have to beat either Ford Focus or Buchanan in the semis -- which one depends on B10 and B12 tourney results. (The other will be on Warner's side.)

Maybe Beard could take him due to room familiarity. And maybe Bastida could if Dean allows a wacky freestyle upper body exchange (though IMO Dean is way too savvy for that).

Other than them, not happening. Dean has mastered Survive and Advance.

Cenzo forfeits spot to Starocci, robbing us of a potentially classic match. Starocci can have the U23 spot if he wants it, but makes the national team behind Marsteller and Borroughs.

He had SOMETHING wrong there.
He had a broken hand. He posted something about it on IG. He had surgery and ramped up a bit again once he was cleared.

I don't think he was 100% fitness at WTTs. Kind of sad we didn't get a Carter-Cenzo best of 3 to go to Final X and take on JB.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Any idea if Carter is interested in the U23 spot? I imagine he is, especially since his boy David Carr is going as well and it's International Competition representing Team USA.

Cenzo forfeits spot to Starocci, robbing us of a potentially classic match. Starocci can have the U23 spot if he wants it, but makes the national team behind Marsteller and Borroughs.

Somewhere along the way, a classy Okie State lady will be hurling F bombs at Starocci for taking Dustin Plott's spot on the team.

Why did Bo Nickal have to wrestle Woodley to actually EARN the U23 spot and now Starocci and Carr dont havta wrestle off, they just get the spot handed to them??

Too early to bet now, but you WILL be hearing back from me 😉
Excluding two 2021 injury defaults, Lewis has never lost a college match by more than 2 pts -- and some of those were in OT.

I'd bet on Carter to be the first to beat that spread. But Lewis has proven his ability to keep matches close.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
Excluding two 2021 injury defaults, Lewis has never lost a college match by more than 2 pts -- and some of those were in OT.

I'd bet on Carter to be the first to beat that spread. But Lewis has proven his ability to keep matches close.

Here's my question: Does Lewis go up to 184? He looked absolutely huge through the chest/back to me.

Here's my question: Does Lewis go up to 184? He looked absolutely huge through the chest/back to me.
I don’t think so. I mean he was a 165 a couple years ago. I think he’s like Zahid in that he looks massive but isn’t as big as everyone thinks. His chest and back are absolutely huge though. Looks to be crazy strong

Feel this might be a case where eye test doesn't work. He was 165 before, wrestled 160 in HS and went 74KG for all of free. He probably cut a bit for 165 but 174 is the right weight for him. He's probably big enough for 184 but loses a lot of his advantages there.

Im getting lectured on online etiquette by Willie??

I guess I should feel honored? 🤨
giphy.gif

Im getting lectured on online etiquette by Willie??

I guess I should feel honored? 🤨
didn't mean etiquette. there's a bunch of whiners chirping on twitter that they just 'gave' the SR Top 3 the spot.

1) it was literally the freaking procedure, which everyone knew going in
and
2) Carter Starocci beat Alex fn Dieringer.

no one 'gave' him anything.

no. link please. no one's invading Easton on my watch!

Article doesn't explicitly state that ... but that's the punch-in-the-face-obvious takeaway. Looks like the invasion started while you were in Austin -- they knew better than to try with you in town!

The photos in the article are nice.

didn't mean etiquette. there's a bunch of whiners chirping on twitter that they just 'gave' the SR Top 3 the spot.

1) it was literally the freaking procedure, which everyone knew going in
and
2) Carter Starocci beat Alex fn Dieringer.

no one 'gave' him anything.
Agreed, speaking of…..maybe it time to take ringer out of the top 5 in world??

Reactions: AndEEss

Article doesn't explicitly state that ... but that's the punch-in-the-face-obvious takeaway. Looks like the invasion started while you were in Austin -- they knew better than to try with you in town!

The photos in the article are nice.
Maybe someone will open a shop that sells guanciale.

Yianni is opting into his U23 spot as well ... very loaded team.

Vito
Nagao
Yianni
Yahya
Carr
CStar
Hidlay
Cardenas
Sloan
Cassioppi

Wouldn't be shocked to see 6 golds from Vito, Yianni, Carr, CStar, Hidlay, Cassioppi to be honest.
Three of the ten are current Cornell wrestlers!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT