ADVERTISEMENT

U20 and U23 Trials Thread

Barr and Haines have tough matches as you'd expect in the semis of this kind of tournament.

Barr looked smaller but showed tenacity and skill.....wins 8-5

He weighed in <165 before beating Manny Rojas for the MI 171 title.

Kid has a real big frame to build on. The fact that he’s doing well at 79/174 despite giving up a likely 10-15lb weight advantage indicates, to my eye at least, that he’s pretty damn solid technically and isn’t just beating people because he’s more developed for his age.

Howard injured. Knee......looks very serious

EDIT: My bad. he was already injured when I started watching. It appeared he was holding his leg and clearly in pain. His hand didn't move off his leg............didn't want to watch any more. I just assumed. Horrible for him. Just terribly sad :(

Last edited:
@Sportfan2017 Not sure if you were doubling down on the knee--but it very clearly (to me) looks like Guanajuato wrenched a whizzer hard (but no harder than most guys at this level in that position) and pulled Robbie's shoulder out. So bummed for him. Shoulder injuries are the worst.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
@Sportfan2017 Not sure if you were doubling down on the knee--but it very clearly (to me) looks like Guanajuato wrenched a whizzer hard (but no harder than most guys at this level in that position) and pulled Robbie's shoulder out. So bummed for him. Shoulder injuries are the worst.
I wonder if he can go the Cassar route and get that special surgery?

Not doubling down.......unless you are counting my computer stupidity. I edited my post but somehow reposted the same unedited post as well. Apologies

Levi up on 13

2:03 Haines hit for passivity
1:30 Haines on the clock--doesn't make sense to me, Williams taking more half-shots, but Haines holding position and center...
1:00 0-1 Williams
0:42 Haines gets a turn on a scramble 2-1
END OF FIRST

2:33 Haines gets a single, converts to double and gets four 6-1
2:19 Adds a turn on the bow & arrow 8-1, Williams takes injury time after. Looks like he may be done...
Fighting it off--restarts in par terre forever, then back to their feet.
1:25 more injury time for Williams (back from B&A)
0:59 Haines gets a single, fights for the step out 9-1
0:45 another single, another step out 10-1
0:26 another single, converts, wins 12-1

Gets Hunter Garvin in Challenge Tourney Finals

Last edited:
Look man, I’m with ya. It just looked like Williams was as far over as he could’ve gone and then almost snapped in half.
That's where the ref came in and they stopped it very quickly. It's a very brutal sport unfortunately. That's why I try to give officiating a break for bad calls. Their number 1 priority is to protect wrestlers.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Maybe makes the recruitment of Mark-Anthony McGowan that much more important
Davis could grow to 133 also and we recruit Lilledahl in 2024.

I'm rooting for Robbie so hard ... maybe he just needs one magical year like Cassar where he wins it all that year.

Howard was our first blue chip level recruit for 125 in 10 years (since Nico in 2011) that has stuck around and we continue to get hosed there. I just don't understand our bad luck...

Reactions: JOESTROSSER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT