ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. Open Freestyle today

Downey getting some of his GoFundMe money tonight in Vegas

200w.gif
excellent

I hate that it is not easy to just find when tje finals tonight start. Flo makes it so hard. So what time do finals start?

Great tournament for Brooks. Other than Gable he’s as good a prospect coming into college. His talent is unbelievable.

Berge looked great. If he can make 149 he’s a definite AA candidate.

Beard was impressive. Got out muscled by an older wrestler in matches he dominated on his feet. He’ll be really good. Seth Nevills is really active. Gavin looked strong also.

Unbelievable class.

Great tournament for Brooks. Other than Gable he’s as good a prospect coming into college. His talent is unbelievable.

Berge looked great. If he can make 149 he’s a definite AA candidate.

Beard was impressive. Got out muscled by an older wrestler in matches he dominated on his feet. He’ll be really good. Seth Nevills is really active. Gavin looked strong also.

Unbelievable class.
Agree. The next wave of Teasdale, Busiello, RBY, the Lee’s, Berge, Verklereen, Manville, Brooks, Beard, and Nevills have a big torch to carry but they seem like they have the ability to handle it.

Berge looked great all weekend. Didn’t get to his offense as much against O’Connor but still thought he was the better wrestler. That’s saying a lot because O ‘Connor is very good. He beat Heilmann this year in wrestle offs who ended up 4th at NCAA’s this year. Berge will AA at 149 next year I believe.
Brooks just keeps jumping levels every tournament he’s in. He absolutely torched this weight and in my eyes it was the toughest weight in the tournament. Wittlake ended up 7th. After a year at the OTC it is going to be scary how good he is going to be. Multiple national titles await for this young man. So impressive and carries himself so well also. Can’t wait to see this next wave of kids hit the mats for PSU!

So far it's been Chamberlain over Hidlay 4-1, who was just out-veteraned, McKenna over Eierman 7-3, with McKenna's D preventing Eierman from getting anything going, and IMar over Vallimont by quick tech.

Coon got to a bodylock, Varner tried to use it, but Coon is just gigantic and that was the difference. Coon wins 3-1. Varner got to legs twice, got a pushout off a single, got stuffed on a double.

Reactions: diggerpup
Richard Perry is very good but not on DT's level. 8-0. DT has completely settled into FS and that weight. If Cox wants to go 86kg I don't see him beating DT next time out.

Colon Garrett is pretty damn entertaining.

Seriously, watch this match, it was something else. Officiating could've been better but the deserving guy won. Colon 20-13.

Last edited:
The stronger Ramos is a matchup problem for the more talented Fix but Fix still up 1-0. Phenomenal defense by Fix midway through second period.
Ramos exposed Fix on a scramble and is up 2-1, :37 remaining.
Fix gets a late pushout but it's not enough, Ramos wins 2-2 on criteria.

That, frankly, is a shock to me. It's not that long ago that Arujau split two matches with Suriano (fall of 2015, I think) in folkstyle.
Not sure if it was the weight cut but Arujau was off today. He was down 8-0 in his next match vs Saunders before he stormed back but ultimately lost 10-8 on a controversial reversal.

Ringer really tested Dake, who has looked as good as he's ever looked. I think the last time they faced each other Dake tech'd him. This time it was 5-5, Dake on criteria.

Reactions: PSUaggie
Great time as always. Thus tourney is so personable. Met many PSU fans wrestlers and coaches. Nico looks solid up a weight. DT is the world's best right now. Fun to see Varner. Hope Frank is ok he looked hurt halfway through semis. Young guys are studs. We are lucky to be fans

Nico seems to be really getting back into form. Third place finish and qualifies for WTT. Won something like 6 matches, including a tech of Graff and win over Corey Clark. Only loss was a close one to eventual winner, Joe Colon.

Thought Nevills got hosed. Not sure who was in his corner but it should have been Brick city. He should have had 4 but got 0 ,

Thought Nevills got hosed. Not sure who was in his corner but it should have been Brick city. He should have had 4 but got 0 ,

I thought the same I think...in the semis?!?? I didn’t get that exchange at all, I thought he got hosed there.

Last edited:
Last year WTT Dake won 2-1
Yeah, Ringer is really close, but as Pyles put it yesterday, it's always that last point that puts you over the top with Dake that is so elusive (unless you're JB or J'den anyway)...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT