ADVERTISEMENT

U. of Maryland "hate crime"

I'm not sure I get why so many htings are called a "hate crime". Reminds me of 1984 too much. The person is dead--isn't that enough??

From the article that OldTiredLion cited:

"University of Maryland Police Chief David Mitchell said at a press conference Sunday that he sought the FBI's help after finding that Urbanski is a member of a Facebook group called "Alt Reich: Nation," where members post racially charged material. Urbanski is white and Collins was black.

"Suffice it to say that it's despicable. It shows extreme bias against women, Latinos, members of the Jewish faith and especially African Americans," Mitchell said."

From the article that OldTiredLion cited:

"University of Maryland Police Chief David Mitchell said at a press conference Sunday that he sought the FBI's help after finding that Urbanski is a member of a Facebook group called "Alt Reich: Nation," where members post racially charged material. Urbanski is white and Collins was black.

"Suffice it to say that it's despicable. It shows extreme bias against women, Latinos, members of the Jewish faith and especially African Americans," Mitchell said."
Still. Does the motive really matter--to the victim? They are still gone.

As an avid support of our military, this is an especially terrible story. Anyone who specifically targets another to commit murder is filled with hate whether it is for race, religion, gender, sexual preference, height, weight, popularity, or anything else for that matter. All intentional and targeted killings is a hate crime and they should all be treated equally.

What may be even more troubling is all of the comments at the bottom of the story. Jeez, I must be the devil since I am a white male.

Reactions: Sharkies and mal106
As an avid support of our military, this is an especially terrible story. Anyone who specifically targets another to commit murder is filled with hate whether it is for race, religion, gender, sexual preference, height, weight, popularity, or anything else for that matter. All intentional and targeted killings is a hate crime and they should all be treated equally.

What may be even more troubling is all of the comments at the bottom of the story. Jeez, I must be the devil since I am a white male.

I can't read comments at work (for which I am abundantly grateful), but I can imagine what they're like. As for the killing, the additional fact of this dude just sitting on a bench about 50 yards away afterwards tells me this has a lot more to do with the killer being deranged than with him being a racist. I've unfortunately known a lot of racists of many creeds/colors/nationalities/etc; they live their lives filled with hate - or at least contempt - for whatever group they don't like. However, it's a very rare person who would actually do something like this, especially solo.

The victim's ties to the military don't make this any more or less tragic, but it always seems to bother me more when something like this happens to a brother in arms.

I’ve never believed in the idea of treating crimes differently depending on the race of the victim. I think we should treat all crimes seriously.

But there’s no doubt that scumbags of this guy’s ilk have felt emboldened for the last several months, and it’s not likely to get better anytime soon. This guy deserves to be shot.

of course it wasn't

but that hardly justifies the renewed vigor of white supremacists
Or the revised definition of white supremacist. You can capture a large number of anything when you broaden the parameters. A white supremacist used to be someone who believed all other races are inferior...now it's anyone who voted for Trump.

Or the revised definition of white supremacist. You can capture a large number of anything when you broaden the parameters. A white supremacist used to be someone who believed all other races are inferior...now it's anyone who voted for Trump.

Stop trying to play the victim. The killer was part of a Facebook Group called "Alt Reich" that discussed hatred of minority groups. Doesn't get much more white supremacist than that.

Last edited:
Stop trying to play the victim. The killer was part of a Facebook Grotz called "Alt Reich" that discussed hatred of minority groups. Doesn't get much more white supremacist than that.
Before the perp is labeled, really need to wait and see what the investigation uncovers. He belonged to a facebook group, does anyone know what his participation level was on it or why he joined it? It is possible he joined because he is a white supremacist, it is also possible he joined it to monitor it for a legitimate reason.

Apparently the perp was heavily intoxicated when he committed the murder. Another example of the wonders of alcohol abuse.

It really does not matter what his motivation was, the victim is still dead and the perp's white college a** is going to get a workout in prison. Young white college kid who murdered a black man in cold blood is going to get seriously abused in the Maryland prison system. Justice will be served.

Before the perp is labeled, really need to wait and see what the investigation uncovers. He belonged to a facebook group, does anyone know what his participation level was on it or why he joined it? It is possible he joined because he is a white supremacist, it is also possible he joined it to monitor it for a legitimate reason.

Apparently the perp was heavily intoxicated when he committed the murder. Another example of the wonders of alcohol abuse.

It really does not matter what his motivation was, the victim is still dead and the perp's white college a** is going to get a workout in prison. Young white college kid who murdered a black man in cold blood is going to get seriously abused in the Maryland prison system. Justice will be served.
:rolleyes:

Stop trying to play the victim. The killer was part of a Facebook Group called "Alt Reich" that discussed hatred of minority groups. Doesn't get much more white supremacist than that.
Some Facebook groups allow members to add other members. Remember that time you ignored those 23 FB notifications? One of them could have been a notification that somebody added YOU to the group. That's why the FBI is involved. Let them do an investigation and sort it out before anyone makes any big leaps or assumptions.

He didn't say that at all. Of course everyone who voted for Trump isn't a white supremacist, but a small minority of them are and they feel that Trump winning is their chance step forward. I have seen it with my own eyes and it is scary. Pretending it isn't the case isn't going to help anyone and only help them.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
He didn't say that at all. Of course everyone who voted for Trump isn't a white supremacist, but a small minority of them are and they feel that Trump winning is their chance step forward. I have seen it with my own eyes and it is scary. Pretending it isn't the case isn't going to help anyone and only help them.
The key there is small minority. Not much anyone can do about that. Same as the small minority of black criminals who thought when Obama won it was their chance to step forward. Did that lead to a renewed vigor of black racists?

...? I'm guessing that you really haven't thought about how racist this comment is.

This whole thread is peppered with comments like this.

Stunning.
How is that racist? You don't think this guy is going to get a good dose of prison justice?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT