ADVERTISEMENT

U Binghamton student fatally stabbed ...

RochLion

Jun 3, 2001
Daughter is currently there and just texted us this info today. Classes are cancelled but campus is not in shutdown mode. Still searching for a suspect. Freshman, Joao Souza, was an engineering student. Ugh, WTF ... breaks my heart. Second case of the BU student killed in past two months.

Remind your college kids ... Lock Your Room Doors!

http://www.wbng.com/story/37961804/fatal-stabbing-at-binghamton-university

Last edited:
Never been on the campus. However, the city has been in decline and I don't know if that lends to a criminal element? Just asking. So many manufacturing cities in NY are experiencing tough times.

Never been on the campus. However, the city has been in decline and I don't know if that lends to a criminal element? Just asking. So many manufacturing cities in NY are experiencing tough times.
There are sections of Binghamton that are a little sketchy, but generally it's pretty decent. The university is in an OK area- but of course bad things can happen anywhere.

Wife and i both born and raised in Binghamton... now live 170miles away.... now that our parents are gone there’s absolutely no reason to return... too easy to look down our noses at it... simply depressing... never was a sexy place, but certain areas now are just plain horrid....

Absolutely wonderful place to grow up in the 60s70s... alas with the demise of IBM, Singer-Link (flight simulators) et al. the area has been largely unsuccessful keeping professional people...

Binghamton Univ. (SUNY Binghamton to old farts like me) is great academically, but like most SUNY campuses it’s not a charming place... a suburban campus with zero “collegetown” feel thus nothing to draw alums back...

Wife and i both born and raised in Binghamton... now live 170miles away.... now that our parents are gone there’s absolutely no reason to return... too easy to look down our noses at it... simply depressing... never was a sexy place, but certain areas now are just plain horrid....

Absolutely wonderful place to grow up in the 60s70s... alas with the demise of IBM, Singer-Link (flight simulators) et al. the area has been largely unsuccessful keeping professional people...

Binghamton Univ. (SUNY Binghamton to old farts like me) is great academically, but like most SUNY campuses it’s not a charming place... a suburban campus with zero “collegetown” feel thus nothing to draw alums back...
My wife and I went to visit our daughter there after the Akron game last year. During the rainy weekend the big excitement was going to "The Cider Mill" in Endicott!
The campus itself is in a nice setting along a hillside and is nice and well kept. They have a great bus system to getting from campus to the downtown area where the bars and frats are but as you mentioned there really isn't much going on there. My brother worked at IBM there for about 15 years and then after getting laid off moved to Easton and is now in Tampa.

http://www.topgunfp.com/susquehanna...ned-his-mind-on-probability-theory-and-poker/

"I learned more about option trading strategy by playing poker than I did in all my college economics courses combined."

- Jeff Yass, The New Market Wizards: Conversations With America’s Top Traders (1992), p. 396 – Yass majored in economics and math at SUNY Binghamton.

Self-styled intellectuals with a taste for cards and ponies: They didn’t have much money — some came from summers spent bussing and waiting on tables at the Concord Hotel, a sprawling resort in the Catskill Mountains 90 miles northwest of New York. But they bet to win. Yass studied the Racing Form in the student union. Other students reportedly gave him money to wager at the track, to risk as he saw fit because his game-theory approach worked. Yass’s thesis for an economics course, “An Econometric Analysis of Horse Racing,” was published in Gambling Times magazine. His approach was simple: Make something supposedly built on chance rational. Turn the odds in your favor. Figure out the edge.

images

The murder happened on campus and video footage shows a person with a partial face mask, gloves, and booties on shoes. Totally pre-meditated.

A suspect has been found, Michael Rogue in his dorm room on campus, and is being charged. They are bringing him up on charges of 2nd Degree Murder w Intent.

In talking with our daughter it sounds like Rogue (suspect) is dating an ex girl friend of Souza and was pissed at Souza over some disparaging remarks he made about her. Really?!

NY State has two murder 2s. Intent and Depraved Indifference to human life. The second one being you kill someone but not the one you intended. Given this was going on in a dorm room with just the two of them it seems like the right charge.

https://www.pressconnects.com/story...l-roque-murder-stabbing-joao-souza/523299002/

ADVERTISEMENT