ADVERTISEMENT

Tyson Fury might go down as one of the best Boxers ever. Totally Dominated Wilder..................

Height confers a tremendous advantage. The ESPN sports science stuff is really good. It is really the only programming on the whole network which I find interesting. Throwing a punch on a downward trajectory gives the benefit of from 10-40% more sensory information than throwing upward. Try it some time. Tuck your chin and look up with your eyes. Now lean back and look down.

A matchup of heavyweights would mean the taller fighter has about a 10% advantage but when we are talking about fighters with similar reaction time that is huge. The idea that Wilder is some kind of stiff because he is unpolished is ridiculous. He has about a 7 foot wingspan and gets off his right hand in roughly .2 seconds and delivers a punch with nearly 1400 foot pounds of pressure. Freddie Roach, Fury’s trainer, figured out that pressuring Wilder and getting closer to him is the way to beat him because he can’t fight in close, mostly because he has never had to do so.

I don’t see any way a guy like Ali, who would give up between 6 or 7 inches to Fury and 50 pounds, would come close to hurting him. Watch the Rumble in the Jungle. Ali’s rope-a-dope isn’t some genius strategy. It was desperation. He said himself many times in the aftermath of the fight that he realIzed in round one that he had no other recourse because George was so incredible at cuttting off the ring. Ali’s chin was truly elite and he never quit, but how would he hurt a guy the size of Fury? He didn’t punch that hard relative to heavyweights of his own time much less today.
By ESPN do you mean Max Kellerman?

There is a sports science episode ESPN put out you can look up. Reaction time refers not to how fast one can jab, but to how fast one can recognize a punch is coming and slip it. Fury has an unbelievable ability to recognize a punch is coming and to slip it and fire back. The people in this thread deriding the modern heavyweights have really zero idea about boxing.
So are the people saying that this guy can be one best BOXERS ever. Apparently, not just heavyweight.

By ESPN do you mean Max Kellerman?

No. As far as I know Kellerman has nothing to do with the sports science segments. If he did it would be the same old trash with him arguing with the moron who insisted Dwayne Haskins is a “running” quarterback.

Need to do more than dominate a tomato can to be considered among the greatest. The heavyweight division has been a joke for years.

I'm not a big boxing fan, but growing up in my formative years you had Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Norton, and the hyped Jerry Quarry who (maybe because he was the only Caucasian) seemed to always be highly thought of by the press, but I recall him losing every important bout he fought. Are there that many great heavyweights around today?

Height confers a tremendous advantage. The ESPN sports science stuff is really good. It is really the only programming on the whole network which I find interesting. Throwing a punch on a downward trajectory gives the benefit of from 10-40% more sensory information than throwing upward. Try it some time. Tuck your chin and look up with your eyes. Now lean back and look down.

A matchup of heavyweights would mean the taller fighter has about a 10% advantage but when we are talking about fighters with similar reaction time that is huge. The idea that Wilder is some kind of stiff because he is unpolished is ridiculous. He has about a 7 foot wingspan and gets off his right hand in roughly .2 seconds and delivers a punch with nearly 1400 foot pounds of pressure. Freddie Roach, Fury’s trainer, figured out that pressuring Wilder and getting closer to him is the way to beat him because he can’t fight in close, mostly because he has never had to do so.

I don’t see any way a guy like Ali, who would give up between 6 or 7 inches to Fury and 50 pounds, would come close to hurting him. Watch the Rumble in the Jungle. Ali’s rope-a-dope isn’t some genius strategy. It was desperation. He said himself many times in the aftermath of the fight that he realIzed in round one that he had no other recourse because George was so incredible at cuttting off the ring. Ali’s chin was truly elite and he never quit, but how would he hurt a guy the size of Fury? He didn’t punch that hard relative to heavyweights of his own time much less today.
Note that Ali obliterated Ernie Terrell who stood 6'6" and had an 82" reach. Not much smaller than Fury or Wilder.

It’s premature to compare Fury to the all time greats, but I think this guy would’ve been a major problem to the all timers. He is absolutely massive and is a great technical boxer. How would 6 ft 215 pound Holyfield match up to 6’9” 275 Fury? His size and skill would give him a chance against anyone, but not persisted to say he stands in the same class as the greats.

It was the endless hours spent in a gym while working with experienced trainers that made boxing a pleasure to watch back in the day. Great trainers like Angelo Dundee, Eddie Futch, Manny Steward, D'Amato and Freddie Roach would take a young kid with natural talent and groom them to be a great fighters. When was the last time we saw a "Conditioned" Heavyweight slip a punch and throw a three punch combination that included a stiff jab, hook to the body and a right cross in the center of the ring without breaking stride or as many would say, a choreographed combination? I've watched numerous videos of Leonard, Frazier, Ali, Duran and Holmes in training camps leading up to huge fights, 10 weeks of hellish conditioning. During the 70's and 80's both Fury and Wilder would have been considered Ham & Egger opponents at best.

It was the endless hours spent in a gym while working with experienced trainers that made boxing a pleasure to watch back in the day. Great trainers like Angelo Dundee, Eddie Futch, Manny Steward, D'Amato and Freddie Roach would take a young kid with natural talent and groom them to be a great fighters. When was the last time we saw a "Conditioned" Heavyweight slip a punch and throw a three punch combination that included a stiff jab, hook to the body and a right cross in the center of the ring without breaking stride or as many would say, a choreographed combination? I've watched numerous videos of Leonard, Frazier, Ali, Duran and Holmes in training camps leading up to huge fights, 10 weeks of hellish conditioning. During the 70's and 80's both Fury and Wilder would have been considered Ham & Egger opponents at best.
you forgot Terry Donovan.

Note that Ali obliterated Ernie Terrell who stood 6'6" and had an 82" reach. Not much smaller than Fury or Wilder.
Good read here...

The pugilistic enthusiasm of one man gained Deer Lake an association with boxing. Bernie Pollack, the owner of Pollack's Mink Farm, made a small fortune selling fur coats. The money allowed him to turn his boxing passion into more than a hobby. He started promoting fighters, from Golden Gloves to tenured pros, and inviting them to train on the mink farm, where he had built an outdoor ring. The seclusion of the place proved attractive.

One of Pollack's fighters, Ernie Terrell, boxed Ali for the heavyweight championship in 1967 - and lost badly. Pollack used the occasion for an introduction. Shortly thereafter, looking for a respite from bustling, media-choked gyms, Ali started coming to train on Pollack's farm. He liked the cool, fresh air and how the people in town allowed him to train in peace and blend in.

The outdoor ring quickly proved untenable. When a storm interrupted his training, Ali decided the heavyweight champion required a permanent home. Pollack's brother owned land a few miles up Route 61, just less than six acres. Ali and his entourage drove Jeeps up the dirt road to

https://www.cnhi.com/featured_stori...cle_591e4532-2f13-11e6-8bd5-bf123ec91c70.html

Reactions: LemonEars
What do people have against Wilder? The guy was 42-0-1 in his career before this past weekend with 41 KOs. People consider this guy a tomato can? There is no shortage of hyperbole on the internet and once again this board shows how stupid people on the internet can be.

Reactions: PSU10 and core6371
What do people have against Wilder? The guy was 42-0-1 in his career before this past weekend with 41 KOs.

Same boat as Fury: great record in a weak generation of heavys. Many felt he lost the first fight, and he got brutalized in the rematch.

No. As far as I know Kellerman has nothing to do with the sports science segments. If he did it would be the same old trash with him arguing with the moron who insisted Dwayne Haskins is a “running” quarterback.
Kellerman has his own boxing show on the Deuce. I don’t tune in but I’ve seen him talk at length about boxing and he is very knowledgeable and quite fascinating. That’s why I asked.

Wilder is now saying the weight of his pre fight costume made him tired. But remember, he isn’t making any excuses.

ADVERTISEMENT