ADVERTISEMENT

Two Years Ago Today...

Love it. The part that cracks me up is when the official told Bo he deducted a team point for throwing his headgear. Bo just shrugs his shoulders and has that look of, oh well I'd rather have the Team National Championship any day!
No doubt...a look of, hell take several...

Reactions: nitlion6
Gets my vote for the single most dramatic and important moment in NCAA wrestling history.

That strange immediate transition from sitting there, moaning "Oh Noooo!" to springing to your feet and screaming "Holy Crap!!" (or some other more extreme expletive.) Yes, it was a rather dramatic moment.

Gets my vote for the single most dramatic and important moment in NCAA wrestling history.
Agree x 1000.
Calling all the old-timers - is there a single better moment in NCAA championship wrestling history? Two wrestlers with the history of Bo and Martin, NC on the line AND dramatic "oh $hit to HeLL Yeah!" moment. I can't imagine another wrestling moment ahead of it.

Reactions: therod
I have said this before and I'll say it again, I'm so grateful that exchange happened to quickly because I couldn't even comprehend how bad the situation could have been if it went wrong. Martin had a beautiful double and Bo looked to be fending it off and suddenly Bo was on top.

Agree x 1000.
Calling all the old-timers - is there a single better moment in NCAA championship wrestling history? Two wrestlers with the history of Bo and Martin, NC on the line AND dramatic "oh $hit to HeLL Yeah!" moment. I can't imagine another wrestling moment ahead of it.

See above.

Larry Owings vs. Dan Gable

This year was the 50th anniversary of that match. Hard to believe it was that long ago.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
But that match had zero team title implications (Iowa State still won the team title by 15 points) and lacked the "suddenness" of the Nickal/Martin match.

It lacked the "suddenness"???

Did you watch the video of the match???! o_O

It was the most unbelievable wrestling match anyone had ever seen to that point. I've talked to a guy who was THERE and he said he still hasn't seen the like of it.

And as for the team title, all you need to know is that one of the Iowa State wrestlers - who won his own national title that night - briefly threw his medal away (he later recovered it) because, as he tearfully said, it just didn't seem to matter now that Gable had lost his chance at an incredible record.

I'm fine if we want to put Nickal-Martin at a fine #2 spot, but I think the only way a wrestling match could top Larry Owings vs. Dan Gable is if a wrestler died on the mat during the finals, came back to life, and THEN pinned his opponent with a cement mixer.

See above.

Larry Owings vs. Dan Gable

This year was the 50th anniversary of that match. Hard to believe it was that long ago.

should have been called twice for cautions, used classic stall techniques of re-tying his shoe and losing a contact lens, was ridden line a pony and was inferior in every position. Amazing no one else ever beat Gable in college.

Reactions: Zukovski
should have been called twice for cautions, used classic stall techniques of re-tying his shoe and losing a contact lens, was ridden line a pony and was inferior in every position. Amazing no one else ever beat Gable in college.

Ridden like a pony? Gable had over 2 minutes or riding time advantage.

Reactions: Conewago
IDK fellas...Owing vs Gable is an all time classic because he beat the unbeatable. From my perspective, Bo’s win is bigger because he not only won an individual NC but he also ensured the team won a NC as well. And to take it even further he pinned a former NC and wrestler he’s had many a battle with.

Just what the social emotional doctor ordered. Beautiful videos team.

Still get goosebumps when Byers voice cracks during Cenzo's pin.

Reactions: BTAvenger
IDK fellas...Owing vs Gable is an all time classic because he beat the unbeatable. From my perspective, Bo’s win is bigger because he not only won an individual NC but he also ensured the team won a NC as well. And to take it even further he pinned a former NC and wrestler he’s had many a battle with.
Yup. And not only did Bo win the team title for his team, but Myles could have won the team title for *his* team.

The stakes could hardly have been higher, short of adding in Marisa Tomei’s biological clock. :)

WarmHarmlessAmericanriverotter-size_restricted.gif

Ridden like a pony? Gable had over 2 minutes or riding time advantage.

Exactly.

In any case, the fact that Gable did, in fact, stall somewhat is what adds to the mystique. It would be like if Cael had not just lost in 2002, but stalled during the match. Simply unheard of.

The problem is that most people alive today haven't watched most other Gable matches so they aren't aware of why he was so popular and respected in 1970.

Nonetheless, despite wrestling a bad match (by his own admission, Gable was mentally unprepared for various reasons), he was still in position to win. But again by his own admission, he went for the pin and suffered for it.

And it was at tOSU's house in front of their home fans against the best 2nd place team in history!

Exactly.

In any case, the fact that Gable did, in fact, stall somewhat is what adds to the mystique. It would be like if Cael had not just lost in 2002, but stalled during the match. Simply unheard of.

The problem is that most people alive today haven't watched most other Gable matches so they aren't aware of why he was so popular and respected in 1970.

Nonetheless, despite wrestling a bad match (by his own admission, Gable was mentally unprepared for various reasons), he was still in position to win. But again by his own admission, he went for the pin and suffered for it.

The one thing that can't be explained on a message board is the atmosphere in the room that night. It was almost like you could feel a high voltage static charge in the air. Both wrestlers had pinned their way to the finals, and everyone was ready to see a battle. We definitely got our wish.

That being said, however, Bo's finals match with Martin is still right up there. The team title was on the line and Bo pulled one of the most gutsy moves I've ever seen in any sport. How many athletes would have the nerve to try what he did without choking?

Time for a bit of a philosophical tangent. Any of you guys who are familiar with Civil War history will probably know the story about how Joshua Chamberlain led the 20th Maine in a bayonet charge to prevent the Confederate troops from over running Little Round Top. That's pretty much what Bo did in that finals match by hitting Martin with something that was completely unorthodox and unexpected. It takes a pretty special kind of person to perform like that when everything is on the line. I've always been a big fan of Bo, but that night put him into a rare category.

Yup. And not only did Bo win the team title for his team, but Myles could have won the team title for *his* team.

The stakes could hardly have been higher, short of adding in Marisa Tomei’s biological clock. :)

WarmHarmlessAmericanriverotter-size_restricted.gif
Yep, forgot to add that piece and with the way the “Toms“ wanna beat Cael so bad....it was an amazing moment.

And it was at tOSU's house in front of their home fans against the best 2nd place team in history!
Damn, you’re all over it. I totally left that out...even more remarkable of a feat in the grand scheme of things. Owing vs Gable is now officially second!

Reactions: Dogwelder
The one thing that can't be explained on a message board is the atmosphere in the room that night. It was almost like you could feel a high voltage static charge in the air. Both wrestlers had pinned their way to the finals, and everyone was ready to see a battle. We definitely got our wish.

That being said, however, Bo's finals match with Martin is still right up there. The team title was on the line and Bo pulled one of the most gutsy moves I've ever seen in any sport. How many athletes would have the nerve to try what he did without choking?

Time for a bit of a philosophical tangent. Any of you guys who are familiar with Civil War history will probably know the story about how Joshua Chamberlain led the 20th Maine in a bayonet charge to prevent the Confederate troops from over running Little Round Top. That's pretty much what Bo did in that finals match by hitting Martin with something that was completely unorthodox and unexpected. It takes a pretty special kind of person to perform like that when everything is on the line. I've always been a big fan of Bo, but that night put him into a rare category.
Well said, and I totally agree bro...

You can never go wrong with a Chamberlain at the Battle of Gettysburg analogy. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT