ADVERTISEMENT

Two bombs go off at Manchester Arena (UK) at Ariana Grande concert

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
So far, "several" people killed.

ArianaGrande_lg_950x440.jpg

Not good --- at all.

Concerts, sporting events, et cetera. Very soft targets. An event like this could be a game-changer.

Witness says people were 'crushed on the floor'
Posted at20:03

Rachel from Barnsley told BBC Radio Manchester she was in Block 213 of Manchester Arena.

She was with her 14-year-old daughter. To avoid the usual delays exiting the arena at the end of a show they decided to make their way out just before the end.

"As we were going out we heard an almighty bang. At first I thought we'd missed something in the concert.

"As we turned around the corner there was an horrific stampede of people coming down the steps, people falling on floor.

"I grabbed my daughter and we just ran.

"There were people being crushed on the floor."

Something for PSU to remember when they make hundreds/thousands of us wait in close quarters for the rent-a-cop to use his Toys'R'Us metal detector to wand our empty pockets.
If you are worried about it show up early. I never had to wait because I show up early. So what is your solution? Just let every one in with no screening?

My solution is do a better job with the screening so it's 1) effective and 2) efficient. Last year, neither of those applied and PSU created a huge security problem instead of fixing one.

For anyone who was at the Rose Bowl, THAT'S how to do entrance security. Both effective and efficient.

My solution is do a better job with the screening so it's 1) effective and 2) efficient. Last year, neither of those applied and PSU created a huge security problem instead of fixing one.

For anyone who was at the Rose Bowl, THAT'S how to do entrance security. Both effective and efficient.
well, it sounds like this was outside of the arena in the ticketing area. So, if you have a crowd waiting to check in, you just blow up those people. Sooner or later, you have to create a choke point. This has happened at airports recently; killings at ticketing, before security.

If you are worried about it show up early. I never had to wait because I show up early. So what is your solution? Just let every one in with no screening?
well, it sounds like this was outside of the arena in the ticketing area. So, if you have a crowd waiting to check in, you just blow up those people. Sooner or later, you have to create a choke point. This has happened at airports recently; killings at ticketing, before security.
You still have to train people not to panic and trample each other. We have much work to do.

From BBC....
Controlled explosion has taken place
Posted at20:34
In the last few moments, the controlled explosion for the second suspect device has taken place.

Wow. I am going to three shows and taking an international trip within the next two months.

Starting to feel a bit nervous.

well, again, I am sure that the most dangerous part of your trip with be the car/cab/uber to the airport. These are really long, long shots that you'd be involved in any way. Even if you were at this show, the chances of you getting hurt (100 out of 21,000 people) is 00.47%

Up side, you'll get good rates and service!

From BBC....
Controlled explosion has taken place
Posted at20:34
In the last few moments, the controlled explosion for the second suspect device has taken place.
More
A controlled explosion was carried out on a second suspect device but police later said it was abandoned clothing

I'm not sure I'd agree with this. The Troubles were driven by the sort of oppression that wasn't sustainable, the power of which diminished over time. Our issues with ISIS are not of a political bent. The way I see it, we will always be at war with some fanatical Islamist group or another.

You're thinking more like a Humanist everyday. That's encouraging.

YOU CAN'T KILL AN IDEOLOGY WITH A GUN.

Reactions: artsandletters
Hmmm ..how about (ahem) training Naked Apes that we are all one species. But, you're correct, we have much work to do.
I'd wager that the vast majority of people who hate those of some specific race do so while fully realizing that we are all one species. It's hate, not scientific illiteracy, which is the problem. These people get their hate validated every day on the web. And nfw is this going away.

Reactions: 83wuzme
OK, back to the earlier programming. The fact is that even in our era of big data and the proliferation of people able to employ sophisticated techniques, we're still working with super-sparse outcomes. In order to catch even half of these plots before they happen you need to cast an enormously broad net. That broad net gathers many, many innocent people and situations, and people bitch about the imposition. It's a no win. It's really about getting a majority to feel we're in the optimal range of safety/convenience tradeoff and accepting what it means in everyday life.

I really wonder if it's about as good as it's going to get and whether the mainstream populace should put it out our minds. The less we fear it, the lower the desirability of using it as a strategy by the $hitheads of the world. It won't stop it, but the it does the average person no good to wring her hands daily over sniffing out just one more potential attack.

Something for PSU to remember when they make hundreds/thousands of us wait in close quarters for the rent-a-cop to use his Toys'R'Us metal detector to wand our empty pockets.

Exactly. That's what one terrorist would call a "target rich environment". Hoards of people standing around with nowhere to go.

Unfortunately I'm surprised that something like what happened in Manchester hasn't happened yet in the US (either coming into or going out of an event).

Exactly. That's what one terrorist would call a "target rich environment". Hoards of people standing around with nowhere to go.

Unfortunately I'm surprised that something like what happened in Manchester hasn't happened yet in the US (either coming into or going out of an event).

Um, Centennial Park, Atlanta 1996?

Um, it pales in comparison to what would happen at a concert arena or football stadium.

You do realize there thousands of people inside the park and thousands more outside of it, where all the vendors that didn't pay for Olympic sponsorship were? You realize there was a concert going on at the time, also?

Imagine my shock that the guy that has trouble debating pennylion knows more about a place he wasn't at than the person he's arguing with that was, and was hit and ended up the hospital that night. Maybe just stick to posting gifs of a one armed monkey jerking off?

It only pales in comparison because of the type of bomb that was produced and detonated.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles

A few years back some crazy white fanatics placed a bomb along an MLK parade route. Discovered in time.

You seem to be giving white supremacist terrorists a total pass. You seem to relish being blind to their growing transgressions.

God have mercy on your soul.

A few years back some crazy white fanatics placed a bomb along an MLK parade route. Discovered in time.

You seem to be giving white supremacist terrorists a total pass. You seem to relish being blind to their growing transgressions.

God have mercy on your soul.

LOL

You're a total waste of oxygen.

I don;t understand this post. What are you trying to say? Are you saying this didn't happen, the bomb wouldn't have hurt anyone or those people don't matter anyway?

Not at all and I'm sorry you're too stupid to understand. Because of this, I'm not going to bother explaining it because "ya can't fix stupid".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT