ADVERTISEMENT

Two ACC teams in CFP probably pushes PSU out of NY6

djm_psu_alum

Nov 30, 2016
Saw the talking heads already laying groundwork for Miami and Clemson in playoff which means a 3rd ACC team must fill Orange Bowl spot.

Couple that with at least 2 SEC (maybe three if Bama loses), Big12 champ, Pac12 champ, Big10 champ, and non power 5 conf champ (UCF) and that is 9-10 spots filled. If ND beats Stanford, they are in NY6 and that leaves 1 or 2 spots. If OSU wins is the Big10 champ, Wiscy will go in ahead of us. That may leave one spot IF Auburn loses this weekend and falls below us. At #6, I think the committee may still favor a 3 loss SEC team over a 2 loss PSU.

Saw the talking heads already laying groundwork for Miami and Clemson in playoff which means a 3rd ACC team must fill Orange Bowl spot.

Couple that with at least 2 SEC (maybe three if Bama loses), Big12 champ, Pac12 champ, Big10 champ, and non power 5 conf champ (UCF) and that is 9-10 spots filled. If ND beats Stanford, they are in NY6 and that leaves 1 or 2 spots. If OSU wins is the Big10 champ, Wiscy will go in ahead of us. That may leave one spot IF Auburn loses this weekend and falls below us. At #6, I think the committee may still favor a 3 loss SEC team over a 2 loss PSU.

That would be a royal screw job.

I don't see the loser of the Miami/Clemson game in the CFP.

I may be wrong. But for the life of me I can't believe a 10 win/top 10 Penn State team would be left of the the NY6 bowls.

I don't have exact data on past bowl ratings, but few (maybe ND?) teams have higher bowl viewer ratings than PSU. And since the real motivation for all of this is $$$$$$$$$$$, I also don't see PSU being left out.....

I'd expect PSU to be ranked above the B10 Champ loser.
I also don't see Miami and Clemson in the final 4, but maybe Miami losing gets in over an OSU that beats Wisc (but not WIsc if they beat OSU)

Penn State is definitely screwed if the ACC gets 2 in the playoffs AND Ohio State beats Wisconsin. Root hard for South Carolina, Stanford, Michigan, Georgia Tech and even Pitt if you want what's best for Penn State

Also, us being ranked in the top 10 doesn't mean anything...the entire purpose of this was to eliminate "bigger name schools" from getting bids

Reactions: gslachta
I'd expect PSU to be ranked above the B10 Champ loser.
I also don't see Miami and Clemson in the final 4, but maybe Miami losing gets in over an OSU that beats Wisc (but not WIsc if they beat OSU)

We won't jump a one-loss Wisconsin IMO--hopefully we don't find out
Miami beating Clemson solves all of our problems
Right now--we're out. That's a fact not an opinion. Thankfully lots of games left.

Sorry, but you seem to be a quivering bowl of jelly. Man up dipstick, Penn State is locked to a New Year bowl if we beat MD.
Curl up in the fetus position and suck a thumb.

We won't jump a one-loss Wisconsin IMO--hopefully we don't find out
Miami beating Clemson solves all of our problems
Right now--we're out. That's a fact not an opinion. Thankfully lots of games left.
Alabama plays Auburn then Georgia. PSU moves ahead of one or two of those teams.

If the bowls have a say they'll want to match PSU against ND. That's where the money is.

Alabama plays Auburn then Georgia. PSU moves ahead of one or two of those teams.

If the bowls have a say they'll want to match PSU against ND. That's where the money is.

It would be interesting to see if we jump Auburn and Georgia if they only lose to Bama...especially if it's close. Stanford beating Notre Dame makes us a lock--that's the easiest way (other than Miami & Wisconsin winning out)

The bowls have very limited say in what they can do. Reputation alone won't get us in. If Miami & Clemson make the playoff (I doubt that happens) we need to jump Auburn, Georgia, Ohio State, Wisconsin or Notre Dame to get in.

Does anyone know id there actual rules involved in this key exchange or do bowls just pick whoever they want? That would seem to take care most of this debate

I may be wrong. But for the life of me I can't believe a 10 win/top 10 Penn State team would be left of the the NY6 bowls.
It’s a stupid stipulation that the Orange Bowl has to have an ACC rep in it - meaning currently #25 Virginia Tech would be in . How dumb is that. Say what you will, at least in BCS, you had to be Top 16 to make it to the big bowls.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Yeah, the rules are pretty much BS but this was done so bowls couldn't take Ohio State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Alabama, etc over schools like TCU

Reactions: JJTopp99
If Nardo wants to stay employed, he can have his team give the same effort that they did against Penn State. That would be nice.

If Miami loses to Clemson they will have a whopping 2 wins over ranked teams...and one of those opponents is barely clinging to being ranked after coming within a yd of losing to Pitt. That’s not going to cut it for a Playoff spot if the resume does not feature a conference title.

Figures what? It’s a fair offer. If you are so sure, it’s easy money. I’ll put up $100 for your $300. Let me know where we can deposit.

Unlike what some folks in this thread foolishly think --- this is absolutely a possible scenario, and something to be worried about.

One thing to remember: politics matter with the college football committee. The B1G got FOUR teams into the New Year's Day 6 bowl games last year. Four!!! With those four teams, came a lot of extra revenue for the conference.

If it comes down to either a 3-loss Auburn team or a 2-loss Penn State team becoming the third team from their respective conference - I believe it's absolutely possible the committee will choose Auburn. Gotta be fair to all conferences, after all (sarcasm).

Penn State is definitely screwed if the ACC gets 2 in the playoffs AND Ohio State beats Wisconsin. Root hard for South Carolina, Stanford, Michigan, Georgia Tech and even Pitt if you want what's best for Penn State

Also, us being ranked in the top 10 doesn't mean anything...the entire purpose of this was to eliminate "bigger name schools" from getting bids

The #10 ranked team has missed out on the NY6 in two of the three years of the current set up. Outside of ND losing and OSU losing, there aren’t any games above us that impact our ranking. If Alabama loses vs Auburn or Georgia, they stay above us. Loser of ACC champ game stays above us. A two-loss Georgia likely stays above us. A one loss Wiscy stays above us. If Auburn loses a close one, SEC bias could only drop them 2-3 spots which is still above be us but they would be the one that could drop below us IF they lose.

Reactions: PS4814
[QUOTE="djm_psu_alum, post: 3137708, member: 78012"]The #10 ranked team has missed out on the NY6 in two of the three years of the current set up. Outside of ND losing and OSU losing, there aren’t any games above us that impact our ranking. If Alabama loses vs Auburn or Georgia, they stay above us. Loser of ACC champ game stays above us. A two-loss Georgia likely stays above us. A one loss Wiscy stays above us. If Auburn loses a close one, SEC bias could only drop them 2-3 spots which is still above be us but they would be the one that could drop below us IF they lose.[/QUOTE]

Colorado and Arizona both had three losses and lost their final games. Hardly a fair comparison. If Auburn loses, they will be behind PSU (assuming a win against Maryland).

Reactions: N&B4PSU
If Miami loses to Clemson they will have a whopping 2 wins over ranked teams...and one of those opponents is barely clinging to being ranked after coming within a yd of losing to Pitt. That’s not going to cut it for a Playoff spot if the resume does not feature a conference title.

I was just sharing what ESPN was saying... they were pushing the two ACC teams if Miami loses. Is a one-loss Miami with two wins over ranked teams worse than a two-loss team with wins over three wins over ranked teams?

I was just sharing what ESPN was saying... they were pushing the two ACC teams if Miami loses. Is a one-loss Miami with two wins over ranked teams worse than a two-loss team with wins over three wins over ranked teams?

These are the types of questions that show what a joke this system is. It would be nice to answer “who is better” on the football field with a real playoff where conference champions square off against each other.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
The #10 ranked team has missed out on the NY6 in two of the three years of the current set up. Outside of ND losing and OSU losing, there aren’t any games above us that impact our ranking. If Alabama loses vs Auburn or Georgia, they stay above us. Loser of ACC champ game stays above us. A two-loss Georgia likely stays above us. A one loss Wiscy stays above us. If Auburn loses a close one, SEC bias could only drop them 2-3 spots which is still above be us but they would be the one that could drop below us IF they lose.

Sure... because each bowl committee has stayed true to their philosophy.... and check the ratings.... PSU is money.

If the two loss team has a conference title and Miami doesn't, I think that answers the question....or I should say it answers the question IF the committee is going by what matters, and in the past they have said number of quality wins and conference titles will be viewed as key elements.

apparently Va Tech (if it wins vs UVA) has to go to OB if both UM and Clem make CFP. That is crazy, but that's what an article this am on espn.com stated....

There is no Politics involved (except maybe for the ratings). It is best ranked team in with caveats.
The key here is the Orange Bowl is the only 'replacement Bowl' this year.
So that means the following
1-4 will be in Sugar/Rose. Lets Assume worst case scenario in that teams that lose stay ahead of us. with 2 ACC teams in
Sugar- Auburn-Clemson
Rose -Miami-Ohio State
Orange - Virginia Tech vs Bama (highest ranked) SEC team vs Highest ranked ACC
That leaves 6 spots for the next 6 teams (caveat being conference champs get in
Peach - Oklahoma vs UCF (Non P5 vs Big12)
Fiesta - USC vs Wisconsin
Cotton - Georgia vs. ND

This would cause us to miss the NY6.

Will this happen - it could - but in reality - it isn't likely. and here is why. The only way this works is if Auburn wins the SEC. A three loss Auburn will more than likely be below a 2 loss PSU. If this happens that means Bama is sitting at 11-1 and would more than likely get in over a 2nd ACC team. Lets look at that scenario
Sugar - Auburn-Ohio State
Rose - Clemson (or Clemson) - Alabama
Orange - Miami (or Clemson) vs Georgia
Peach - Oklahoma vs UCF
Cotton - Wisconsin vs ND
Fiesta - USC vs PSU

Don't get hung up on the matchups or so and so can win. Miami/Clemson would be interchangable.

After 6 conference champs (5 P5 and best non P5). There are 6 slots available. Other than replacements (which again only the Orange Bowl has this year) - the next slots go to the next best teams. With the Rose/Sugar hosting - and teams that are tied to those bowls lilkely in the playoff - it reduces the replacement teams.
With 6 teams getting in after the guarantees - with the replacement ahead of us (miami/clemson loser) - Will get in. There are 12 slots (which mean 2 teams below us can get in automatically without taking our slot. Right now this would be UCF/USC. If another team below us has to get (only way is if ACC gets 2 in) then we lose it. But as I explained - that isn't likely as the SEC would more than likely get 2 in or we will be above Auburn (with 3 losses).
This means that even if USC jumps us we should be fine (we would be 11 - but only 1 team behind us gets the auto bid - which means the top top 11 gets in).
The scenario that can hurt us the most is if OU/TCU win this week and then TCU upsets oklahoma in the title game. That could allow BOTH TCU/Oklahoma to be ranked ahead of us - thus costing us the NY6 Bowl

The committee has never really liked Wisky. It is possible that a loss to OSU pushes them behind PSU.

ADVERTISEMENT