ADVERTISEMENT

Twitter: Is it just me... or would DT make a phenomenal coach in the future?

Not saying DT would not be a great coach but being a great technician does not necessarily mean one will be a great coach.

Saw DT work a room at a HS camp a few years ago. Really impressive.

Reactions: diggerpup
Not only is he a unique and talented wrestler ...
But he’s:

Intelligent.
Has passion for the sport.
He can articulate his techniques.
Seems to relate great to kids.

Those are 4 giant check marks for a coach in any sport.

In a perfect world, he competes at the international level for another 7 or so years (or more), joins the Penn State staff and ultimately succeeds Cael when Cael retires.

How long has Varner been on the staff now ? 1-2 years ?

Maybe Jake would be ready for a lower HC job - somewhere like a MAC school or such - after the 2020 cycle when DT is ready to join a staff ?

Timing could work out perfectly for both Varner & DT.

I say no, as he doesn't have the means to recruit questionable characters and to shuffle money around to obtain such characters.

I have often wondered what will be the trigger that has Cael hang it up some day? Will it be family driven, when he can no longer be as active on the mats with our kids in practice, when he has accomplished what he has set out to do, .... None of us know, but it will almost assuredly come sooner than any of us can emotionally tolerate.

I just don't see Cael as a 60 year old coach at PSU some day regardless. He has a new contract so I think we are safe for at least 3-5 years, and hopefully they extend several times more, but that day will sadly come.

As I wonder, I have also thought who would be a decent successor? Noone will duplicate what Cael has done as he is a once in a generation human being, athelete, coach.. just a wonderful man of faith and integrity, on top of being the best coach in the nation by a comfortable margin.

My wondering has contemplated DT as a significant possibility. He is a world class athelite, a powerful legacy with PSU, the athletic and leadership talent, a high integrity individual, and he is one of Cael's deciples.

Assuming all of the current assistants will be slightly too old to become a multi-year, active, on the mats coach physically challenging some of the kids daily; I think DT will be in the conversation. Not to mention his competitive career should be winding down about then. I definitely see DT coaching somewhere relevant 10 years from now.

The thought is a slight silver lining in an otherwise troubling stream of consciousness, but who better....?

Reactions: T J and diggerpup
I have often wondered what will be the trigger that has Cael hang it up some day? Will it be family driven, when he can no longer be as active on the mats with our kids in practice, when he has accomplished what he has set out to do, .... None of us know, but it will almost assuredly come sooner than any of us can emotionally tolerate.

I just don't see Cael as a 60 year old coach at PSU some day regardless. He has a new contract so I think we are safe for at least 3-5 years, and hopefully they extend several times more, but that day will sadly come.

As I wonder, I have also thought who would be a decent successor? Noone will duplicate what Cael has done as he is a once in a generation human being, athelete, coach.. just a wonderful man of faith and integrity, on top of being the best coach in the nation by a comfortable margin.

My wondering has contemplated DT as a significant possibility. He is a world class athelite, a powerful legacy with PSU, the athletic and leadership talent, a high integrity individual, and he is one of Cael's deciples.

Assuming all of the current assistants will be slightly too old to become a multi-year, active, on the mats coach physically challenging some of the kids daily; I think DT will be in the conversation. Not to mention his competitive career should be winding down about then. I definitely see DT coaching somewhere relevant 10 years from now.

The thought is a slight silver lining in an otherwise troubling stream of consciousness, but who better....?

Well said.

Cael will have to stick around till PD3 is ready to coach.

ADVERTISEMENT