ADVERTISEMENT

TV Alert tonight at 10 pm WVB Ncaa Regional Final vs Stanford on ESPNU

Don’t remember when.....but Stanford’s lost on their home court in the tourney before.

And history DOES repeat itself!

Reactions: TheGLOV
Fed

I can't see this team beating a #1 seed on their home court. When you get to the elite 8, you shouldn't have to.

Agree, but I gather they really don't have many options if they're going to have decent attendance.

But... Plummer credited the crowd of 3,256 with giving the Cardinal a big lift. “We had a wave at Maples, which I’ve never seen happen,” she said.

That said, Oregon upset Minny AT minny (their first loss at home of the season)... so it can be done. :)

Reactions: fairgambit
Agree, but I gather they really don't have many options if they're going to have decent attendance.

But... Plummer credited the crowd of 3,256 with giving the Cardinal a big lift. “We had a wave at Maples, which I’ve never seen happen,” she said.

That said, Oregon upset Minny AT minny (their first loss at home of the season)... so it can be done. :)

Was surprised the crowd wasn’t better in Palo Alto last night, LOTS of empty seats at one end of the court. Place sounded like a morgue until the end of the second set.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

I understand attendance (money) drives the bus, but if at least the Regionals were played at neutral sites it might help spread interest in the sport and would certainly be fairer to the athletes. Still, I know it won't happen any time soon.

I understand attendance (money) drives the bus, but if at least the Regionals were played at neutral sites it might help spread interest in the sport and would certainly be fairer to the athletes. Still, I know it won't happen any time soon.
Worse yet was according to ESPN the refs were from the PAC12...If that was indeed true then that is completely ridiculous. They made the comments while referring to Russ complaining about several double contacts on Standford and the commentators said the PAC12 officials called the fewest double contacts in the nation. So, if they had ot play Stanford on their court with their conf. refs then that is a complete farce for the NCAA, at least bring in unbiased refs.

Worse yet was according to ESPN the refs were from the PAC12...If that was indeed true then that is completely ridiculous. They made the comments while referring to Russ complaining about several double contacts on Standford and the commentators said the PAC12 officials called the fewest double contacts in the nation. So, if they had ot play Stanford on their court with their conf. refs then that is a complete farce for the NCAA, at least bring in unbiased refs.

Wait a minute here. I've read on this very board that there is no such thing as referee bias ... that while there may be incompetence, there is no bias. Unlike judges, lawyers, politicians, priests, ministers, cops, teachers, and doctors, sports referees are never biased. Those who believe such nonsense wear tinfoil hats and see UFO's and black helicopters circling above them. And besides, bad calls always even out. :rolleyes::eek:o_O

Unfortunately I don't agree with what I just posted. After all, I've watched 26 years of Penn State football games in the Big Ten. ;)

Agree.

Wait a minute here. I've read on this very board that there is no such thing as referee bias ... that while there may be incompetence, there is no bias. Unlike judges, lawyers, politicians, priests, ministers, cops, teachers, and doctors, sports referees are never biased. Those who believe such nonsense wear tinfoil hats and see UFO's and black helicopters circling above them. And besides, bad calls always even out. :rolleyes::eek:o_O

Unfortunately I don't agree with what I just posted. After all, I've watched 26 years of Penn State football games in the Big Ten. ;)

Harummmpf. Well sir, if that is true, then surely you must admit how wonderfully things have evened out!! Why, every year I am thrilled just knowing how this new year we'll start seeing things even out even more than the previous 10 years before!! By 2076 we'll almost be even up for the minor mistakes the refs made in favor of certain other teams (not to be mentioned... not allowed). Besides, what's a minor bounce or 2 on the ground (or a wee bit of neck twisting or added seconds etc) amongst friends?:rolleyes:

Bias? No such thing. read it here so it must be so! :cool:

Sorry, but I have to stick my nose into this referee thing vis-a-vis Saturday evening's match with Stanford.

A long time ago, November of 1981 to be more exact, after my Pitt graduate father-in-law (RIP) expressed his displeasure with the referees in the 48-14 demolition of the previously #1 rated and undefeated home team at Pitt Stadium, his younger son-in-law simply stated that anyone who blames the officials for that result was not being realistic - after all, the margin of victory was 34 points.

Looking back at the Saturday result, I feel the same way. While the official match score was 3 - 1,the 3rd and 4th sets were a dominant performance by the "home team" and referee's decisions on two "non-calls" had very little to do with the final score.

I actually slept pretty well Saturday night, knowing that my PSU women's volleyball team had given everything to try to advance, but were thwarted by a "better" team. Good luck to Stanford as they try to repeat. Thank you, Russ Rose and the young women who work so hard for representing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT