ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa in 2023, hotels, etc.

d-1980

Mar 11, 2014
PA
BOK Center is located in the "downtown" area of Tulsa. As far as I can tell, there is no public transportation other than buses. Not finding any available hotels within walking distance, which includes the entire downtown area. I see no available airbnb or vrbo here either.
Suggestions? 🤷‍♀️

BOK Center is located in the "downtown" area of Tulsa. As far as I can tell, there is no public transportation other than buses. Not finding any available hotels within walking distance, which includes the entire downtown area. I see no available airbnb or vrbo here either.
Suggestions? 🤷‍♀️
I already booked on VRBO. About 3.8 miles from BOK center. Easy Uber or drive. When I booked there were lots of them available but none right downtown.

Our finding is that the NCAA has already booked most downtown rooms. That's what we were told after contacting more than a dozen. The NCAA pays for travel/accommodations (pretty sure about that) for student-athlete's, and as Tulsa is a small city, few hotel options close to the venue was sure to happen.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
La Quinta has availability according to kayak. $114/night and it's 0.3 miles from the BOK Center.

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8DBLz
If you are renting a car and don’t mind an easy commute into downtown, look into Owasso. Nice community with hotels, two breweries, lots of restaurants, with plenty of places for adult beverages.
Is there really that much time available in between sessions? There wasn't a ton in Pittsburgh. I also had VIP tix in Pittsburgh to the Lexus club and that was amazing! All food and drinks you could eat/consume AND carry to your seats.

I'm hearing that a charter flight might be in the works from state college to Tulsa.. Anyone have more insight on this?

I see ticket prices from Pittsburg for 2 weeks earlier (the airline doesn't have NCAA dates published yet) are 343(plus fees) each seat. Those ticket prices are on delta and are Wednesday fly out/Sunday fly home.

On Location now has NCAA Fan Experience tickets on sale. We paid $1330 with fees for 5th row seats with food and beer 90 minutes before start at each session. For 2023 prices have almost doubled to $2500.
Where did you find those rates? Not here..

Where did you find those rates? Not here..

He meant last year he paid $1330. This year they start at $2475 plus fees.

He meant last year he paid $1330. This year they start at $2475 plus fees.

Weird…I could’ve sworn a few days ago when I got an email about the onlocation packages, there were several available tickets in the $1800 range.

We paid $1,400.00 in Pittsburgh
I didn’t purchase the onlocation package this past year, but for most of the time leading up to the event, there were a lot of tickets at $1700-1800 for Detroit.

When I got the email last Wednesday and looked, I thought I remembered a similar price range available for Tulsa.

Either way it’s all getting more and more pricey.

Prediction: NCAA greed is going to mean some fans don't attend.
I am also reminded of some business math from a seminar years ago....
When times are good, raise your rates. When times are bad, raise your rates.
If you double your rates and only do half as much business, you make the same amount of money with half the headaches. ;)

Despite having a confirmation number and email receipt of my reservation, I just received an email from my hotel stating that my reservation was cancelled as "our hotel is booked by a private contracted block".
WTH? I booked 9 months ago so I didn't have to worry about not finding one. :mad:

Despite having a confirmation number and email receipt of my reservation, I just received an email from my hotel stating that my reservation was cancelled as "our hotel is booked by a private contracted block".
WTH? I booked 9 months ago so I didn't have to worry about not finding one. :mad:
Sorry to hear that. That's gotta make you angry .

I just canceled a room at the Residence Inn downtown. You might try them. (918) 895-8700.

I booked on travel.com, and it was $354/night.

Do you have any status with the chain? I would raise holy hell for cancelling you and demand they find you a replacement.

I booked 5 extra rooms at The Homewood Suites in Broken Arrow the first day the HOTEL allowed reservations. Approx 15 minutes drive from the arena.
Mar 15-19 - 4 nights (Wed/Thur/Fri/Sat)
Each room has it's own CONFIRMATION # to be used at check-in
The cost below is for 4 nights plus applicable taxes. Approx 125-130/night including taxes.
These are NON changeable ... if I edit, the cost per night increases! I can cancel up 48 hours before check-in.
AVAILABLE:
2 Queen Bed Suite: $522.09 *( all in )*
2 Queen Bed Suite: $522.09 *( all in )*
1 King Bed Suite: $522.09 *( all in )*
1 King Bed Suite: $522.09 *( all in )*
1 King Bed Studio: $481.57 *( all in )*

My wife would have them get us another room and a night comped, if this happened to her reservation. She did as much when we were bumped from a hotel in Nashville. They just notified her via email that her reservation was canceled after we had arrived in town (day of).

Turned out the one (more notable) hotel overbooks and bumps their overbookings to a sister hotel across the street that had the same owner.

I think it was a bait and switch.

I figure they bump any who aren't rewards members, because my sister-in-law was a rewards member, booked after us, and they held her reservation.

Do you have any status with the chain? I would raise holy hell for cancelling you and demand they find you a replacement.
Have had this happen in the past … “raised holy hell” … demanded to talk to person in charge … you know what it got. … a chance to vent and an apology … plus an invitation to look for rooms several miles from the wrestling where there were vacancies. Good luck getting any satisfaction.

Have had this happen in the past … “raised holy hell” … demanded to talk to person in charge … you know what it got. … a chance to vent and an apology … plus an invitation to look for rooms several miles from the wrestling where there were vacancies. Good luck getting any satisfaction.
You need to escalate to the chain HQ, I assure you it will be more than an apology and chance to look at other properties. They will comp something, particularly if you have any status with the parent chain.

...if you were offered a rate for the rooms and you accepted and paid a fee and they accepted your payment doesn't that make it a contract?...
...I would contact the BBB if they have one, the Visitors bureau if they have one, and definitely the Mayor's office ... failing that I would reach out to the local newspaper... oh, well...🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: Creek Side
Just part of the southern hospitality a northerner receives. You'll find out " they give the directions around here" real fast.

• Haha
Hey all.
To say I'm angry is an understatement.
Thanks for the suggestions, recommendations and condolences.
I am a rewards member of this brand, but I rarely stay there, so I'm not very high up the ladder. It is not a Hilton, Marriott or Hyatt brand, where I do have a bit higher status. There was no offer for help in finding another hotel other than a generic search link. Wow, thanks for that!
I have called the General Manager and left multiple voice messages. No reply.
I've sent emails to them, and again, no reply.
I've called Customer Service with the chain, and received no help.
I've written an email to the OK Attorney General's office, and also electronically filed a Complaint Form with their Consumer Protection Department.
I've emailed the office of the Mayor of Tulsa.
Wanted to let them know that it wasn't just my room, as others also received the same cancellation email. The hotel was walking distance to the BOK Center. I realize I can get a hotel 6-10 miles out and use Uber, but I didn't really want to do that. I also didn't want to rent a car. I spent a lot of time finding a hotel that was within walking distance and that hadn't already been blocked out by the NCAA.
In the end, I don't really expect to get our rooms back, but really needed to vent a little. Thanks for listening (reading).

Do we think that these rooms are being snatched up for resale (re-rent) for NCAAs (either for teams or for VIPs or something)?

I heard a story about a hotel that cancelled wedding party reservations because a Taylor Swift concert was announced and they knew they could charge more. That is low down. And they got in trouble for it.

mad eric cartman GIF by South Park

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
What hotel is it?
Yeah... @d-1980, we need to boycott else generally avoid like the plague.

Now I'm betting the 'contract' was with a booking site that buys and speculates on major events to resale at a premium. The hotel might already have a contract with them that allows them to pick dates.

The just checked. The Marriott Residence Inn has rooms for Saturday night listed on their site for $386. Unfortunately Tuesday through Friday nights are booked.

ADVERTISEMENT