ADVERTISEMENT

Trustees walked out on Lubrano today

Not sure that list is accurate - if you look at the video below it looks like Masser, casey and Barron are there until the end. Lubert left first then it looks there were a flurry of 4 or 5 other trustees, then the administrators (Dunham, Basso, etc.) and then the audience starts to leave. Didn't look like an organized walk out, looked like "been there, heard that, 3 hour meeting, I'm outta here". Disrespectful for sure but not organized or pre-meditated. Ira leaving did kind of open the door for everyone else though.
Among those who walked out:

Lubert & Masser, hand-in-hand while laughing at Lubrano
Dunham
Barron
Dandrea
Casey
Steele
among others

Lubrano's Comments:

"I would like to share a couple of comments. I have given this a great deal of thought in the main meeting, and now that we have new leadership, I think it's appropriate. President Barron, Chairman Dambly, fellow Trustees, more than five and a half years ago, in January 2012, the leaders of this body promised the Penn State community that it would thereafter operate with openness, transparency, and accountability. That promise remains largely unfulfilled, and as we today chose new leadership, I hope the new leadership will embark in that direction. But I believe the Board remains secretive, sometimes purposely, and unaccountable. The Board's self-appointed majority often acts in its own interests, ignoring the will of our alumni, consequently, the Board is divided and, more significantly, the alumni remain divided. And my remarks are often characterized by the majority as intemperate, possibly because sometimes, well, my remarks are intemperate. But intemperate perhaps, but always honest. Nonetheless, I have been here since this board acquiesced to guilt in 2012, and I observed the extraordinarily expensive actions it has taken to pay for its self-imposed guilt. Those costs come home to cause us some consternation with our budgeting.

I will cite just two of the many examples where board majority has acted knowingly to ignore the will of the University's vast alumni. In 2012 and by about a 10:1 ratio, Trustees still in this room and many now long gone told interviewers that Board membership was much too large to achieve good board governance, but 2014, the Trustees chosen by the alumni were more active and sought answers to matters deemed relevant in the board room. Alumni vote totals grew, those the representatives are still in the minority on this Board. The majority became less comfortable, and so notwithstanding a board already hopelessly unwieldly at 32 members, majority proposed to increase Board's size, except for its initial proposal to reduce alumni's representation on the Board. We are now a cuddly 38 persons.

Need not be truly untampered to see was imposed by adding seats it could fill without minority input. Self-interests superseded improved governance. Transparency. Interestingly, chose not to recommend reduced board size when board size was clearest problem suggested to him. Not too big a surprise, much as we have learned from interview, he never made (Inaudible) zero support in investigate gatory notes. That's for another day. The Freeh Report (Inaudible) that I came to know and love perhaps in perpetual tut. Caused to impose unwarranted and Draconian sanctions. (Inaudible) tens of millions from taxpayers and student pockets into the pockets of plaintiff's attorneys. Much remains up said about the report because of the secrecy imposed by this report. The indictment was never examined by this so-called accountable body nor by outside legal department. We are told by legal counsel don't look at the evidence. What if it's work?

(Telephone interference)

-- the product of lawyerly advice. Perhaps that advice fits into our legal system, but legal or not, personal ignorance is not moral in my book. Millions were spent to keep those documents secret from alumni of this university. Millions were spent to deny Trustees the right to do their duty as they saw their duty. The majority chose to remain uninformed and used taxpayer and student funds to preclude alumni Trustees from gaining knowledge. In the end, more than $1.2 million was wasted. Ma jorl knowingly and falsely informed us we had no duty to understand the Freeh investigation. After the majority forbid the minority to discharge its duty, seven, myself included, pursued that duty in the courtroom, and not surprisingly won the case. The majority in response to a private letter from the seven chose to you be approximate lickly rebuke the minority for its effort to gain access to information. President Barron chose to belittle the minority's efforts, probably calling information requests frivolous and damaging to the university. Where is seeking knowledge and truth frivolous? Majority purposely deceived the public saying we rejected a compromise to examine the Freeh data. Untrue yet published anyway. Majority indiscriminately paid lawyers for legal matters related to and unrelated to PSU. We even paid the NCAA's obligation to Senator Corman in a suit the the (Inaudible) lost. Not to reimburse members of this board for legal fees associated with our effort to seek knowledge and truth but instead publicly chastised and belittleed our efforts.

The three-person Commonwealth court ruled otherwise and reminded President Barron our effort was indeed not frivolous. Majority purposely and deceitfully informed the public that the three interview ouis had been promised confidentiality. Untrue. Interviewers explained to each interview oui their confidentiality would not be (Inaudible).

Value did differences of opinion. Generally, though, that is how the majority characterizes our differences. Differences we have, of course. The actions I just cited reflect the actions of a majority imposing its self-interest on the minority. Deception majority of self-interest are not okay. James Madison was arguably the major contributor more than 230 years ago to the design of the constitution of this country and its voting processes. His biggest fear mitigated somewhat by the electoral college was the likely propensity of the voting majority to impose its will on the minority. He called it the tyranny of the majority. I better understand his fear. The obligations of duty and loyalty of Trustees are not determined by one of general counsel's many opinions, nor are they defined by the vote in the majority of Trustees. Trustee obligations are individual, and each must act according to his or her own conscience and sensibilities. This fact is well established and well understood in America, and by our self-selected legal subcommittee. Yet the committee and our leadership misled us and they attempted to mislead the court. Our lawyers in the legal subcommittee have allocated hundreds of millions of dollars for which they should be accountable. This board and management long ago abdicated their responsibility as lawyers. The money is gone. Sadly so, (Inaudible) reputation. Sadly, all the king's horses and lawyers cannot restore the pride of Penn State destroyed by our ignorance and pass sift. We do not play offense or defense. I raise these matters again because silence is acquiescence.s A I analyze our actions five years later, I am more troubled than ever. For five years I have precisely chosen the word dysfunction to describe this board. Causes the board confusion, incompetence, et cetera, that makes us dysfunctional, but dysfunction is prevalent on many not-for-profit boards. The imposition of deceitful self interest is the cause, and to be clear, the term deceitful is to be precise, that its uses may be inflammatory and polarizing is unfortunate but true. Hundreds of thousands of alumni who care about our past and future have been deceived and in the process disenfranchised. Remember, we will never heal without truth and reconciliation. Now Mark and Matt, I hope, I pray, that the two of you work together to help bring us together. Thank you."

Reactions: step.eng69
The continuing arrogance by the Penn State power elite makes me very comfortable with my previous decision to cut all ties with my alma mater. I wish her no misfortune, but I really don't care about her present or her future. I am part of her past. Where I once visited often, I will never set foot again. I have the friends I made there, my memories, and a degree. That will be enough.

The continuing arrogance by the Penn State power elite makes me very comfortable with my previous decision to cut all ties with my alma mater. I wish her no misfortune, but I really don't care about her present or her future. I am part of her past. Where I once visited often, I will never set foot again. I have the friends I made there, my memories, and a degree. That will be enough.
This is so sad but this feeling is very widespread. I'll always be a huge fan, attend games, follow the University but There's no way I can justify financial contributions to thelp school with this totally corrupt and incompetent leadership.

By all means, keep donating. Anthony donates millions, and he gets treated like shit. Imagine what they think about your $1000.
They don't think anything about my $0. I loved my time at PSU, love the faculty, friends I met, the students, and athletics. The rest I no longer care about. It ended when the A9 voted for Ira and the Alumni Association pulled their coup.

I suppose you could support the fight, but the fight seems to be over and am too distant to matter.

This is so sad but this feeling is very widespread. I'll always be a huge fan, attend games, follow the University but There's no way I can justify financial contributions to thelp school with this totally corrupt and incompetent leadership.
A lot of good people have walked away, but those in power don't care. They have made no efforts to heal the wounds. In fact, those wounds are deeper than ever. The University will survive, and even prosper, but she could have been so much better with all her sons and daughters back in the fold. I have so much anger and contempt for those on charge that I can no longer think about Penn State without revulsion. I understand the thinking of those who say that Penn State is more than a few bad apples, but those bad apples spoil the entire pie for me and so I want none of it.

How does that make Anthony a joke? If you were in his shoes, what would you do to gain power and influence?

I think your word choice was extremely poor.
I had high hopes at the beginning of his involvement. In my opinion, the continued belief that Lubrano can reform the BOT is laughable. Hence, a joke. I will grant you that this may be a little harsh, considering what I still believe is noble intent. Maybe I should have said that he was all hat and no cattle...

Reactions: Nitt1300
They don't think anything about my $0. I loved my time at PSU, love the faculty, friends I met, the students, and athletics. The rest I no longer care about. It ended when the A9 voted for Ira and the Alumni Association pulled their coup.

I suppose you could support the fight, but the fight seems to be over and am too distant to matter.

There never was a fight. We were just too stupid to realize it. Whatever. Live and learn.

And Fairgambit, they don't want to heal the wounds. They want the intelligentsia to leave. It's no different than Stalin's purges. They want the thinkers to bolt, and then they can go to work and mold those who remain behind, in the image that they create. I have no doubt that this is their plan. And very likely, it will work. But what they will get in return will be a soulless institution that is a fraction of its formal self. But in their arrogance, they will never admit that.

I had high hopes at the beginning of his involvement. In my opinion, the continued belief that Lubrano can reform the BOT is laughable. Hence, a joke. I will grant you that this may be a little harsh, considering what I still believe is noble intent. Maybe I should have said that he was all hat and no cattle...
He has done more than guys like you who are all mouth!

He has done more than guys like you who are all mouth!
I've never said that I was going to do anything... so how does that make me all mouth? I guess I could be accused of having too high of an expectation originally, or hyper critical at this point, but the fact is that Anthony and other reform minded Alumni trustees have been unable to move the needle one hair. It doesn't make them bad people, but I'm not holding my breath on reform of the BOT.

Reactions: BBrown
By all means, keep donating. Anthony donates millions, and he gets treated like shit. Imagine what they think about your $1000.
Coincidentally I got a call tonight from a nice PSU junior engineering student looking for a donation to the School of Engineering. I politely informed him of who our new BOT President is and I unfortunately won't be donating to my alma mater until they clean house and properly pay tribute to a 51 year former employee. He completely understood and wasn't able to share his feelings with me based on his job with the university. It really sucks feeling this powerless!

I think the only meaningful action left for the A-9 at this point is to quit as a group, publicly, in front of the press, and with a full statement about just how the BOT is really run. At best that would possibly force the BOT to publicly defend itself, at worst it would have no impact at all- which is where we are at anyway.

The only way this gets fixed is if Pennsylvania voters turn over the legislature, and obviously that isn’t going to happen, so make some noise on the way out- it’s all that’s left.

I think the only meaningful action left for the A-9 at this point is to quit as a group, publicly, in front of the press, and with a full statement about just how the BOT is really run. At best that would possibly force the BOT to publicly defend itself, at worst it would have no impact at all- which is where we are at anyway.

The only way this gets fixed is if Pennsylvania voters turn over the legislature, and obviously that isn’t going to happen, so make some noise on the way out- it’s all that’s left.
I like the idea. They have no power. Why continue the charade? Maybe one of them could write a book.

So the Alumni Elected Trustees clearly appear NOT TO HAVE FAILED their obligation to vote their conscience as so many of the corrupts servile toadies have claimed on here! Voting their principles was not able to prevent the PSU BOT's gross infestation of scum and corruption, but the Vote at least demonstrates where that scum and corruption resides.....inside the politically-driven "Block" of the PSU BOT whose current members were primarily placed there by the ever-corrupt MontCo-Hershey GOP Political Junta and Crime Syndicate since 1980.
They have failed miserably. They have accomplished nothing at all and it's a joke. The cult PS4RS have let all of you down and it's hysterical. You will praise these idiots but then slam Adam T. b cause he didn't do enough for Joe. As if that is the only thing that matters.

The entire BoT is corrupt including your A-hole 9.

Reactions: _fugazi_
Among those who walked out:

Lubert & Masser, hand-in-hand while laughing at Lubrano
Dunham
Barron
Dandrea
Casey
Steele
among others

Lubrano's Comments:

"I would like to share a couple of comments. I have given this a great deal of thought in the main meeting, and now that we have new leadership, I think it's appropriate. President Barron, Chairman Dambly, fellow Trustees, more than five and a half years ago, in January 2012, the leaders of this body promised the Penn State community that it would thereafter operate with openness, transparency, and accountability. That promise remains largely unfulfilled, and as we today chose new leadership, I hope the new leadership will embark in that direction. But I believe the Board remains secretive, sometimes purposely, and unaccountable. The Board's self-appointed majority often acts in its own interests, ignoring the will of our alumni, consequently, the Board is divided and, more significantly, the alumni remain divided. And my remarks are often characterized by the majority as intemperate, possibly because sometimes, well, my remarks are intemperate. But intemperate perhaps, but always honest. Nonetheless, I have been here since this board acquiesced to guilt in 2012, and I observed the extraordinarily expensive actions it has taken to pay for its self-imposed guilt. Those costs come home to cause us some consternation with our budgeting.

I will cite just two of the many examples where board majority has acted knowingly to ignore the will of the University's vast alumni. In 2012 and by about a 10:1 ratio, Trustees still in this room and many now long gone told interviewers that Board membership was much too large to achieve good board governance, but 2014, the Trustees chosen by the alumni were more active and sought answers to matters deemed relevant in the board room. Alumni vote totals grew, those the representatives are still in the minority on this Board. The majority became less comfortable, and so notwithstanding a board already hopelessly unwieldly at 32 members, majority proposed to increase Board's size, except for its initial proposal to reduce alumni's representation on the Board. We are now a cuddly 38 persons.

Need not be truly untampered to see was imposed by adding seats it could fill without minority input. Self-interests superseded improved governance. Transparency. Interestingly, chose not to recommend reduced board size when board size was clearest problem suggested to him. Not too big a surprise, much as we have learned from interview, he never made (Inaudible) zero support in investigate gatory notes. That's for another day. The Freeh Report (Inaudible) that I came to know and love perhaps in perpetual tut. Caused to impose unwarranted and Draconian sanctions. (Inaudible) tens of millions from taxpayers and student pockets into the pockets of plaintiff's attorneys. Much remains up said about the report because of the secrecy imposed by this report. The indictment was never examined by this so-called accountable body nor by outside legal department. We are told by legal counsel don't look at the evidence. What if it's work?

(Telephone interference)

-- the product of lawyerly advice. Perhaps that advice fits into our legal system, but legal or not, personal ignorance is not moral in my book. Millions were spent to keep those documents secret from alumni of this university. Millions were spent to deny Trustees the right to do their duty as they saw their duty. The majority chose to remain uninformed and used taxpayer and student funds to preclude alumni Trustees from gaining knowledge. In the end, more than $1.2 million was wasted. Ma jorl knowingly and falsely informed us we had no duty to understand the Freeh investigation. After the majority forbid the minority to discharge its duty, seven, myself included, pursued that duty in the courtroom, and not surprisingly won the case. The majority in response to a private letter from the seven chose to you be approximate lickly rebuke the minority for its effort to gain access to information. President Barron chose to belittle the minority's efforts, probably calling information requests frivolous and damaging to the university. Where is seeking knowledge and truth frivolous? Majority purposely deceived the public saying we rejected a compromise to examine the Freeh data. Untrue yet published anyway. Majority indiscriminately paid lawyers for legal matters related to and unrelated to PSU. We even paid the NCAA's obligation to Senator Corman in a suit the the (Inaudible) lost. Not to reimburse members of this board for legal fees associated with our effort to seek knowledge and truth but instead publicly chastised and belittleed our efforts.

The three-person Commonwealth court ruled otherwise and reminded President Barron our effort was indeed not frivolous. Majority purposely and deceitfully informed the public that the three interview ouis had been promised confidentiality. Untrue. Interviewers explained to each interview oui their confidentiality would not be (Inaudible).

Value did differences of opinion. Generally, though, that is how the majority characterizes our differences. Differences we have, of course. The actions I just cited reflect the actions of a majority imposing its self-interest on the minority. Deception majority of self-interest are not okay. James Madison was arguably the major contributor more than 230 years ago to the design of the constitution of this country and its voting processes. His biggest fear mitigated somewhat by the electoral college was the likely propensity of the voting majority to impose its will on the minority. He called it the tyranny of the majority. I better understand his fear. The obligations of duty and loyalty of Trustees are not determined by one of general counsel's many opinions, nor are they defined by the vote in the majority of Trustees. Trustee obligations are individual, and each must act according to his or her own conscience and sensibilities. This fact is well established and well understood in America, and by our self-selected legal subcommittee. Yet the committee and our leadership misled us and they attempted to mislead the court. Our lawyers in the legal subcommittee have allocated hundreds of millions of dollars for which they should be accountable. This board and management long ago abdicated their responsibility as lawyers. The money is gone. Sadly so, (Inaudible) reputation. Sadly, all the king's horses and lawyers cannot restore the pride of Penn State destroyed by our ignorance and pass sift. We do not play offense or defense. I raise these matters again because silence is acquiescence.s A I analyze our actions five years later, I am more troubled than ever. For five years I have precisely chosen the word dysfunction to describe this board. Causes the board confusion, incompetence, et cetera, that makes us dysfunctional, but dysfunction is prevalent on many not-for-profit boards. The imposition of deceitful self interest is the cause, and to be clear, the term deceitful is to be precise, that its uses may be inflammatory and polarizing is unfortunate but true. Hundreds of thousands of alumni who care about our past and future have been deceived and in the process disenfranchised. Remember, we will never heal without truth and reconciliation. Now Mark and Matt, I hope, I pray, that the two of you work together to help bring us together. Thank you."
I would have walked out too. It's not like he had been the most honest person. He should have just said "if you put the statue back, I'll shut up.

Reactions: _fugazi_
I've said it before many times..... the concept of "Service Leadership" at PSU walked out the door with Spanier and Paterno. Agree or disagree with some initiatives, they put the interests of the whole of PSU ahead of their own, and acted accordingly. So, I don't think it was a fabrication at all, but rather a lesson that has been ignored or at least marginalized by those running the show for the last almost 6 years. When they decided to flush the best goodwill asset any school could have down the drain, we knew their primary interests were for themselves.
The A9+ can vote as a united front from here until forever, but we'll lose every time.

Barron walking out on Lubrano..... good grief. Pathetic action by the Pres.
How did Paterno put the interest of PSU ahead of his own when he ran the program into the ground, sat in the press box for games, refused to recruit (or was unable to), and told fans to lower their expectations? Spanier I'll agree with.

Last edited:
How did Paterno put the interest of PSU ahead of his own when he ran the program into the ground, sat in the press box for games, refused to recruit (or was unable to), and told fans to lower their expectations? Spanier I'll agree with.

Ass.

Penn State was 8-1 and in first place in our division when they fired Joe. And we had a consensus top 10 recruiting class ready to sign in February. If that's running the program into the ground, I'll take it any day.

I have said this before...when I get called to donate money I tell the caller(the last one was from Schreyers where my daughter graduated) that I send $4.09 every year. Not a penny more. It's sad, but this BOT created this. I am in agreement with FairGambit.

As for the A9 and PS4RS, what exactly would have been the alternative? They presented an opposing voice to the entrenched BOT members.

We could have done like the vast majority of alumni and not vote. That would put even less of an opposition voice on the BOT. We could have moved on and allowed the NCAA to steamroll over us. We could have put in a fractured A9 which would not have spoken with one voice. Jesse Arnelle would still be on the BOT.

Maybe nothing has changed with the BOT, or it has gotten worse. But, at least we had good representation. They made some mistakes, for sure. But, a disjointed alumni representation would not have been a better alternative.

We've all learned a very valuable lesson on corruption. It runs deep, and it is extremely hard, if not impossible, to defeat.

Agree. I mean what would be the downside? That the BOT would continue to do what it wants? Its doing that anyway so I don't see a downside and any public shaming of the BOTS is always good.

Reactions: WDLion
What have any of them actually accomplished? And "they tried" isn't an answer. After 5 years it's a fair question.

Maybe it's time for a whole new A9. A9 v2.0

I get the idea I just don't think its going to change anything. The power BOTS, that be, will just change the rules, like they have been doing and continue on with whatever puts money in their pockets and the University be damned.
I got a lot of grief from people when I complained about the BOTS 5 years ago, asking me why I didn't vote in the BOT election prior to Nov. 9 2011.
So for the last 5-6 years I have been diligently listening to those that were running and voted accordingly. So that brings us to now.
And I have to ask myself what exactly did I do that did any good?
The Power BOTS will continue to do whatever they want and the lesser BOTS will do whatever their BOT overlords tell them too.
At this point forward my vote will now be "whomever pisses off the most BOTS" wins.:mad:

Joe didn't run the program into the ground. Without the cornerstone of the kids he recruited the actions of the NCAA and our own BOTS would have had the desired effect it wanted. Penn State football would have been dead.
But it didn't work out that way for you and your minions. The character of the kids Joe signed shown as a beacon to the rest of the country what Penn State was really about.
Because of people like Joe, the kids he recruited, Bill O and now James Franklin the program is stronger than it ever was and frankly thats pissing a lot of people off. And I love it.

Ass.

Penn State was 8-1 and in first place in our division when they fired Joe. And we had a consensus top 10 recruiting class ready to sign in February. If that's running the program into the ground, I'll take it any day.
And what about his record against Ohio State, Michigan, and Iowa? You point to a single year. He constantly came up short in big games due to his conservative style. He needed to go back in the dark years but hung on for purely selfish reasons. Karma showed up in 2011 after get got his record.

Joe didn't run the program into the ground. Without the cornerstone of the kids he recruited the actions of the NCAA and our own BOTS would have had the desired effect it wanted. Penn State football would have been dead.
But it didn't work out that way for you and your minions. The character of the kids Joe signed shown as a beacon to the rest of the country what Penn State was really about.
Because of people like Joe, the kids he recruited, Bill O and now James Franklin the program is stronger than it ever was and frankly thats pissing a lot of people off. And I love it.
He couldn't coach anymore. It was like the an episode of the Walking Dead. He sat in the press box for ****s sake.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
It seems to me that Anthony and the A9's loss of dignity and self-esteem came at the time that the source materials were being reviewed by them. Around that time they enlisted Demlion to help them out. All of those people have pretty much dropped out of the public discussion since then. Perhaps it is merely coincidental, but I don't know what to make of that.

Exactly. James Franklin has said that few programs could survive what Penn State went through. While he and O'Brien certainly deserve some of the credit for that, credit also goes to the players and to Joe and his staff. Right until the end, Joe and his staff recruited high-character kids who stepped up as leaders in the program's time of need. The foundation was in place for the program to survive.

When you think back to emmert's ridiculous grandstanding five years ago and the severity of the sanctions (which were later scaled back and then removed), it is amazing to think that the program did not have a losing season, was bowl-eligible each year, won one bowl game, and gave a good showing in another bowl game. Many big-name programs not under sanction fared worse than Penn State during that period.

It seems to me that Anthony and the A9's loss of dignity and self-esteem came at the time that the source materials were being reviewed by them. Around that time they enlisted Demlion to help them out. All of those people have pretty much dropped out of the public discussion since then. Perhaps it is merely coincidental, but I don't know what to make of that.
Lurker. What's your theory on that. Could it be they didn't find anything damaging. To me, this part of the entire fiasco remains the most puzzling to me. Why did everyone suddenly stop posting. A threat of a lawsuit?? Can't believe that they can't get this info out somehow. And they haven't even hinted at when something might come out. This is crazy. And Tom knows all this shit and can't post. It is so past time that anyone even cares anymore except us.

Reactions: WeR0206 and didier
How do we continue to get these terrible leaders?

How is it possible?

We are a good, smart, courageous people, we control 100% of the vote, yet we get these terrible leaders?

Reactions: Mixolydian
ADVERTISEMENT