ADVERTISEMENT

Trivia question

creamery freak

Jul 26, 2014
Of which I do not know the answer, but I'm sure guys on this forum would know. I just recently DVR'd the PSU vs The OSU dual in 2018 at Rec Hall. PSU had 6 present or future National Champions in their lineup. N Lee, Zain, Cenzo, Marky, Bo, and Ant the Champ. If Jason Nolf was healthy it would have been 7 and the match wouldn't have been as close.
The OSU had 3 National Champs in NaTo, MyMar, and Kyle Snyder. BoJo and McKenna both came in 2nd at NCAA's in their career, I believe.
The question is, has there ever been a dual with 10 or more present or future National Champs? I'm thinking an Iowa Vs Oklahoma State match during the 90's, could have exceeded that. Thanks in advance for your input.

Reactions: danoftw
Of which I do not know the answer, but I'm sure guys on this forum would know. I just recently DVR'd the PSU vs The OSU dual in 2018 at Rec Hall. PSU had 6 present or future National Champions in their lineup. N Lee, Zain, Cenzo, Marky, Bo, and Ant the Champ. If Jason Nolf was healthy it would have been 7 and the match wouldn't have been as close.
The OSU had 3 National Champs in NaTo, MyMar, and Kyle Snyder. BoJo and McKenna both came in 2nd at NCAA's in their career, I believe.
The question is, has there ever been a dual with 10 or more present or future National Champs? I'm thinking an Iowa Vs Oklahoma State match during the 90's, could have exceeded that. Thanks in advance for your input.
If you ask 98.7 % of the posters on HR they would say every match they wrestle.

Nothing exceed psu lol

The 1998 Iowa/Oklahoma State dual ("The greatest dual ever wrestled," Klye Klingman calls it in the story I linked here) had nine past or future champs by my count.

This is what Klingman says about the lineups for that 1998 dual: "the combined credentials of the 20 wrestlers who competed that day are as follows: 16 NCAA titles, 44 All-American honors, three Olympians, 12 World teams, two World medals, and one Olympic medal. "

Here's how the PSU/tOSU wrestlers compared: 15 NCAA titles (so far ... Nick Lee gets another crack this year), 50 All-American honors (plus a bunch of guys who would have had another if the 2020 championships had not been canceled), seven world teams, two Olympic teams, five world medals, and two Olympic medals.

The 1998 Iowa/Oklahoma State dual ("The greatest dual ever wrestled," Klye Klingman calls it in the story I linked here) had nine past or future champs by my count.

This is what Klingman says about the lineups for that 1998 dual: "the combined credentials of the 20 wrestlers who competed that day are as follows: 16 NCAA titles, 44 All-American honors, three Olympians, 12 World teams, two World medals, and one Olympic medal. "

Here's how the PSU/tOSU wrestlers compared: 15 NCAA titles (so far ... Nick Lee gets another crack this year), 50 All-American honors (plus a bunch of guys who would have had another if the 2020 championships had not been canceled), seven world teams, two Olympic teams, five world medals, and two Olympic medals.
Thanks CholleyVandine. Luke Pletcher would have been in the hunt also at 141 in the canceled season. He wrestled at 133 in 2018.

I know in the late 60's/early 70's ISU had a lineuo of 5/6 NCAA current or eventual champions several times. I'm thinking on of the Okie state duals had to feature at least 10.

Reactions: creamery freak
Nick Lee might have had something to say bout that…
Agreed even though Luke won BIGs at Rutgers in 2020. He would've had the 1 seed and Nick 2 with SeaBass the 3. The other guy I didn't mention was Kollin Moore, who was a finalist in 2019 and was on track to be a national champion in 2020 at 197.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Not ten, but also not a dual that you might have thought to have so many.

Cornell vs. Iowa State in 2010, NCAA champions:
125: Nickerson (1 title)
141: Dake (4)
165: Reader (1)
184: Bosak (1)
197: Varner (2) and Simaz (1)
285: Zabriskie (1)

1965 Ok. State was very loaded with talent. They had Uetake(1965, 3Titles), Hatta(1965), Brisco(1965), Davis(1966) Harlow (1966), Fozzard(Fr ineligible,(1967 also World champ 1969) and Bobby Douglas(2 time Olympian). They did not win nationals that year. Bobby Douglas I believe was the favorite at but got injured in first round of tournament. Iowa State beat them 87-86. I tried to find their dual schedule but was not able to locate. I would think that if they wrestled Iowa State in dual that it would be similar to PSU -Ohio State in talent.
I would recommend checking the story of Fred Fozzard. He was stricken with polio at age 2.

Last edited:
The Iowa/Iowa state dual in 1986 had Penrith, Dresser, Heffernan, Alger, Chiaparelli, Goldman for Iowa and Kelly, gibbons, Krieger, Voelker, Van Arsdale for ISU. That 11 future NCAA champs.
The 1986 Iowa team had Marty Kistler as well. So it was 12 future/past NCAA champs. In addition, I believe that Stewart Carter, who won an NCAA title in 1987, was on the bench as a non-starter for ISU in 1986.

Last edited:
2004. Wartburg 20 Augsburg 17

Each team had 4 national champs that year. They also combined for four runners-up and 18 All-Americans.

125 Shankey (NCAA Champion - Aug) Dec McClintock (5th Place - War)

133 Matzek (NCAA Champion - Aug) Dec Saxon (2nd Place - War)

141 -- Kelly (War) Dec Tidwell (2nd place - Aug)

Wartburg’s Hinschberger ended up the NCAA champion at 141. I don’t know the story here but obviously Kelly could wrestle too.

149 -- Mehlert (NCAA Champion - War) WBF over Erlandson (Aug)

157 LeVesseur (NCAA Champ - Aug) MD Bliven (War)

Don’t know the story here either but Wartburg’s Connell (see 165) ended up 2nd at Nationals at 157.

165 Connell (2nd at 157 - War) Dec Valek (7th Place - Aug)

174 Moon (NCAA Champion - Aug) MD Specht (War)

Wartburg’s M Sturm finished 5th at nationals at this weight.

184 R Sturm (NCAA Champion - War) MD Tupa (Aug)

197 Carter (NCAA Champion - War) MD Sorensen (Aug)

Augsburg’s Cullen finished 7th at nationals at the weight.

HWT Simmons (4th Place - Aug) Dec Gillis (2nd Place - War)

Last edited:
The Iowa/Iowa state dual in 1986 had Penrith, Dresser, Heffernan, Alger, Chiaparelli, Goldman for Iowa and Kelly, gibbons, Krieger, Voelker, Van Arsdale for ISU. That 11 future NCAA champs.
I saw Chiaparelli wrestle for Blair Academy. His coach was Bob Latessa who tended bar at local tavern and who I played softball with. Bob told me how unique Rico was. He was simler to Nolf, where he could turn a bad position into points.
Bob Latessa later became head coach for 2 years at Lehigh. Really nice guy.

I forgot about Kistler

Chiaparelli was my favorite wrestler when I was a kid. My high school team used to work as mat runners at the a Midlands. Would get to watch him 5-6 times a year in person and watch him drill between sessions. He was so different than most of the Iowa wrestlers in that era. Nolf is a good comparison. Also a little like Bo, could catch a pin a guy from any position.

ADVERTISEMENT