ADVERTISEMENT

Trip to San Diego

Novalions

Feb 29, 2016
I'm taking my family to San Diego in August. My boys are 10, 5 and 2. Right now we are going to the zoo, Seaworld and Legoland. I just wanted to see with the board what other suggestions people might have.

We are also going to mission beach for a day and want to see old town.

The boys are very active and the 2 year old has certainly entered the terrible twos and has his own agenda. But we are trying to do active things with places to move around. I was also thinking about getting the "Go San Diego Pass".

I'm taking my family to San Diego in August. My boys are 10, 5 and 2. Right now we are going to the zoo, Seaworld and Legoland. I just wanted to see with the board what other suggestions people might have.

The boys are very active and the 2 year old has certainly entered the terrible twos and has his own agenda. But we are trying to do active things with places to move around. I was also thinking about getting the "Go San Diego Pass".

you've got them handled, for the most part. USS Midway might be a cool day for the ten year old.

There are a lot of kid friendly museums by the zoo (science, sports, model railroad, natural history). Coronado is one of the best beaches.

Are you going to both the zoo and the Safari Park? Both are great . . .

Old Towns going to be pretty boring for the kids. As someone else pointed out, substitute LaJolla cove for Mission Beach, although the sun is more likely to be shining at Mission Beach, August should be OK for LaJolla.
The zoo is really good.
Point Loma also worth a visit. Lots of tide pools amongst the rocks with sea critters for the kids to see. Go at low tide.
Don't count on being able to get in the water....way too cold.

Reactions: BBrown

My one comment would be to skip Mission Beach and go to coronado. Mission Beach/Pacific Beach/Ocean Beach have spots that are not exactly family friendly. Lots of vagrants and panhandlers wondering around.

For good beaches with easy access, go a little farther north to Torrey Pines or Carlsbad.

We are staying downtown, was thinking about renting a car for a couple days. We are staying for a week, but I think a few places are close enough where we won't need to use the car. I was thinking either uber or taxi. Those suggestions for the beaches are great

I live in SD. Have lived here since 2007. You will be perfectly fine in Mission during the day. Its full of vacationers from AZ trying to get out of the summer heat. LaJolla is definitely more upscale. If you want trendy stores and restaurants hit LaJolla.

Liberty station in Point Loma has good food and good beers. Its family friendly. Id check out LaJolka Shores. You can hang in the beach or go in a Kayak tour through caves. The Torrey pines hike is really great. You might have to carry the 2 year old but it's not a tough hike. It ends in the beach. Its as pretty as it gets.

There are some cool meusems in Balboa Park. The park itself is really beautiful.

Let me know if you have any questions about SD

Reactions: RickinDayton
Coronado Island, beach is great. I was there this last weekend for a concert. Parking is impossible if not there before 9:00 AM. My suggestion would be take the ferry across the bay and rent bikes to beach near Hotel Del.
Sign the kids up for a surfing lesson. Rent kayaks, jet ski, paddle board in Mission Bay.
Perhaps stay on Coronado and travel to San Diego. SD has some good public trans. up to Balboa Park, Zoo etc.
North in Carlsbad is the SD Summer Fair, not sure how long it last.
La Jolla is beautiful and scenic, would be a great half day.

Old Town does have a nice model railroad, however, which might work for the kids. The Midway is really nice, but I'd be a bit concerned about safety for the youngest one and maybe the 5 year old. It's still a ship and there's plenty of places to take a fall.

Go check out the seals on the cliffs in La jolla
Don't think I take the 2 1/2 yo to LaJolla to see the sea lions. They have signs all over that location about keeping noise levels down so as not to disturb the sea lions. The locals probably don't appreciate normal kids being normal and disturbing the sea lions.

Sounds like a good family trip so far. The zoo is fantastic and will be full day that will tire out the kids. Be prepared for a lot of walking and steep hill climbs. It is uniquely built into a few canyons. The bus ride inside the park can make that easier if you choose to do that.

I agree on going to La Jolla Cove to see the seals is a good idea. The La Jolla coast is beautiful. A day at Mission Beach will be fun. A typical San Diego beach experience. All types of people and the weather will likely be perfect in August. There is a small amusement park (Belmont Park) there that the kids might like and one of the oldest wooden roller coasters in the country.

No reason to go to Liberty Station if you are staying downtown. The restaurants and beer choices are great downtown. Liberty station is basically a shopping center, although there is a Stone Brewery restaurant there that is great beer and great food. The other Stone Brewery is in Escondido near the Safari Park if you are doing that. I would recommend reservations if you go there. There are more than 130 microbreweries in San Diego. Stone is most popular right now.

https://www.sandiego.org/articles/breweries/san-diego-breweries.aspx

Coronado and the Coronado Hotel are worth the trip, but probably not very interesting for the kids.

Enjoy your trip. I have lived here for over 30 years and am always finding new things to do. Best weather anywhere is near the ocean in San Diego in the summer.

Reactions: Novalions

After all of that, you are going to need a few beers...probably a few beers at the end of each day. I would suggest stopping by Ale Smith, Ballast Point, Stone and/or Green Flash breweries.

You'll have a blast.
You have some good things listed.
While I love Old town and I think you and your wife would too I think the kids would be bored.
There are some old building to wander through but really most of it stores, shops and restaurants, which by the way
are awesome and have amazing Margaritas.

Do note that when my brother and his family and I were at the zoo in mid-November, it was under major reconstruction and renovation and some areas were completely closed. I'd call ahead. The zoo does have a tram, which can be useful. The zoo is very, very big.

Old Towns going to be pretty boring for the kids. As someone else pointed out, substitute LaJolla cove for Mission Beach, although the sun is more likely to be shining at Mission Beach, August should be OK for LaJolla.
The zoo is really good.
Point Loma also worth a visit. Lots of tide pools amongst the rocks with sea critters for the kids to see. Go at low tide.
Don't count on being able to get in the water....way too cold.
Not only that. In Point Loma you can combine reasonablee craft beer and excellent Pizza at Pizza Port brewing on Bacon Street on block off the beach. Kids/Pizza. Dad/Beers. And some limited arcade games.

IIRC, the safari is best to do first thing in the day. More animals tend to be out and active, and your kids will be fresh and excited early as well.

I am not a fan of old town. Find it to be a tourist trap and not much to do there. I agree on the wild animal park is better.

Where are you staying? I like to move around when on a trip like the you've described since you will be on move anyway. If you are not settled I'd recommend: http://www.halfmooninn.com/amenities.aspx

You and the family will love the pool area which makes you feel like you're in a tropical paradise.

Have you decided where to eat when out and about? Three children from 2 through 10 will make for interesting choices. Let us know if you need some recommendations.

Edit: I forgot to mention that there is a fishing pier a short walk down the road that will give the kids some great entertainment while you let the wifey sleep in late a morning or two. I'll guarantee she'll thank you for it later...at least mine did. :)

Last edited:
We are staying at the Hampton Inn downtown. It includes breakfast for everyone which is an absolute must for all the kids. I'm going with other members of the family so we didn't pick any restaurants. We will kind of pick as we go, although I really want to do an authentic Mexican restaurant there.

I'm not sure we will do the safari since I'm not sure the 2-year-old will sit that long. I think walking the zoo is a better situation. When you go to the zoo, do you add the tram at the gate?

All these suggestions are awesome - and yes some beers will be consumed.

We are staying at the Hampton Inn downtown. It includes breakfast for everyone which is an absolute must for all the kids. I'm going with other members of the family so we didn't pick any restaurants. We will kind of pick as we go, although I really want to do an authentic Mexican restaurant there.

I'm not sure we will do the safari since I'm not sure the 2-year-old will sit that long. I think walking the zoo is a better situation. When you go to the zoo, do you add the tram at the gate?

All these suggestions are awesome - and yes some beers will be consumed.

Yes--as I recall. But we did not get the tram package this last trip.

Hampton inn downtown is a quick walk from the little italy section of downtown. Plenty of good restaurants and places to get beers. Less than a 5 minute walk

Old Town, Zoo, LaJolla Cove, Wild Life Animal Park, Sea World, Gaslamp for dinner, Padres game downtown if they are in town, A ride up the coast start at Sunset Cliffs and work your way north all day. Plenty of great places to stop along the way. Ferry ride to Coronado and you can usually see the Carriers assuming one is in.

HoDad's or Rocky's for a burger, Cotijas Hash Brown Burrito or a California Burrito (Carne Asada with much more), Fish Taco's, Phill BBQ (tri-tip),

Last edited:
Great idea on Hodads or Rocky's. For ease of hit the Hodads downtown. The one in OB is swamped

Great idea on Hodads or Rocky's. For ease of hit the Hodads downtown. The one in OB is swamped
I lived 3 blocks from Hodad's in OB before it was shown on TV....love the mini VW Van. I say go to OB...grab the burger and walk on the pier..one of the longest on the west coast.

My East Coast son played water polo so we've made numerous trips to the Left Coast. One time in SD, we went to Coronado to show the kids the hotel and the Navy Seals were training in rafts off shore. They would beach the rafts, drag them up over the rocks, and the commander would tell them to do it again, which they did over and over and over. My kids were mesmerized. Your little ones could play on the beach but I'd bet your 10-yr old would be fascinated if you happened upon a training session. We've also done the zoo, kayaking in the caves in LaJolla and Sea World. Never did the safari. Went to the clubhouse at Torrey Pines but did not do the hike. So much to see; so little time. Also, if you don't know this, carry cornstarch with you and put some on dry skin to remove sand. If you can't immediately shower the sand off, this just peels the sand off your/your kids skin so you aren't dragging it back into your car.

Hampton inn downtown is a quick walk from the little italy section of downtown. Plenty of good restaurants and places to get beers. Less than a 5 minute walk

LOL, craft beer in San Diego is like a slice of pizza in NYC. You can trip and fall and be at the door of a really good place.
I love San Diego.

That is true re craft beer. Most of the breweries are in Miramar or San Marcos/Vista. But there are tasting rooms all over the place. North Park and Little Italy have a bunch of good places. Encinitas also has some good beer spots. I am not a big fan of Stone. I am a big fan of Mikkeller, Port, Alpine and Abnormal.

Make sure to hit up Alesmith, their new facility is amazing. You can get dinner right around the corner at Ballast Point. If you are headed out that way, the Stone Beer garden is pretty amazing... but I just don't like Stone beer. Modern Times is probably the best brewery in the city proper. The ball park is pretty nice, worth taking in a game.

Go check out the seals on the cliffs in La jolla

I once mistook the seals there for sea lions, turns out they aren't real lions at all, just regular old seals. I'm no wildlife enthusiast... my bad. Their barking does get a little old, it's like they keep repeating the same thing over and over, even if no one is listening.

Lots of good ides, don'y forget LEGO land about 45 ,minutes north if the kids are into that. On the pier is an aircraft carrier that you can tour.

If the denizens of the board are like me, we all want to move to SD stat!

But seriously, I've been once and it's amazing. Some snooty types look down on its cultural offerings, but I'd take perfect weather, happy, optimistic people, and gorgeous scenery over a boring Broadway Play any day.

SD is made up of a bunch of different beach towns on the coast. I don't think you can find a better place to live than Solana Beach, Del Mar, Cardiff and Encinitas. Beautiful, safe and plenty to do. It is expensive though, that is for sure!!

ADVERTISEMENT