ADVERTISEMENT

Trip to Ottawa

aferrelli

Oct 19, 2009
Was in Ottawa only once many years ago, but don't remember much. Going to the Canadian capital for a few days this summer. I'm looking forward to some suggestions from people. Anything from restaurants, neighborhoods, and things to see. I'll be staying in the Marriott in the downtown section near the parliament buildings.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Was in Ottawa only once many years ago, but don't remember much. Going to the Canadian capital for a few days this summer. I'm looking forward to some suggestions from people. Anything from restaurants, neighborhoods, and things to see. I'll be staying in the Marriott in the downtown section near the parliament buildings.

Beautiful city! Of course tour Parliament (they offer tours in French and English noting the English tours sell out faster), visit the Rideau Canal, take a stroll to the Byward Market area for dining/shopping and local produce/syrup. The dining scene there is getting better but I don’t really have any ‘must visit’ places to recommend. They have a few museums and galleries worth visiting - namely the National Gallery of Art, the Canadian Museum of History, and the Canadian War Museum.

Beautiful city! Of course tour Parliament (they offer tours in French and English noting the English tours sell out faster), visit the Rideau Canal, take a stroll to the Byward Market area for dining/shopping and local produce/syrup. The dining scene there is getting better but I don’t really have any ‘must visit’ places to recommend. They have a few museums and galleries worth visiting - namely the National Gallery of Art, the Canadian Museum of History, and the Canadian War Museum.
Thanks for the response and info.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Thanks for the response and info.

And get a poutine.

1383239551554.jpeg

Try a Beaver Tail... and take in a "Canadian ballet". The Keg Steakhouse right near the Marriott (right around the corner I believe) is pretty good.

The US Embassy looks pretty cool (from the outside of course), nice Art Deco design and it is at the one far end of the market. I remember a couple of years ago, a couple of us were walking around the market and I noticed a very fortified looking building. I thought to myself that this must be like the Canadian Fort Knox... then I saw Old Glory flying about and realized it was "one of ours". Great City and at this time of the year, great weather. Enjoy!

You should skate the canals.

The French Baker, 119 Murray Street near Byward Market is some of the best croissants in Canada.
Good friends also recommend The Whalebone Oyster House which is pricey, Vittoria Trattoria 35 William Street is very nice Italian.

Reactions: aferrelli
ADVERTISEMENT