ADVERTISEMENT

Travel tips for a 3-day visit to Berkeley, CA?

royboy

Nov 9, 2001
Lewisville, NC
The board seems to know this sort of stuff -- will be in Berkeley area for a family wedding in September; what's interesting to see?....have been in SF fairly recently, so I'm interested in the other side of the Bay. Is the UC-Berkeley campus worth checking out? Other attractions within an hour travel time?

I hear Milo Yiannopoulos may be giving a speech there... and there will be a bonfire too!

Probably some free cocktail drinks... people just throw them right to you!

(Not intended to be political)

I traveled to that area for work last year so I can't tell you any of the touristy things to do... but I will say, if you enjoy beer, there are a ton of microbreweries and craft houses in the area that are worth going to... that's my thing though, so may not be yours.

September is a great time to visit. Best weather for the towns on the bay.
What are your interests ? Sight seeing, food, museums ?

Got a masters degree from Berkeley in the early 70s and have lived in Marin County since.

The campus is in a great location and is an impressive city type school as long as the radicals are not out in force on a protest. Memorial Stadium in Strawberry Canyon is in a spectacular location with great views of San Francisco and the Golden Gate. There is an on campus art museum and Oakland has a California history museums.

If the outdoors is of interest , Tilden Park in the Berkeley hills has miles of hiking trails or Mt Diablo in Walnut Creek. Highest peak in the Bay Area.

There are unique restaurants , starting with Alice Waters' Chez Panisse and several micro breweries

Reactions: royboy
RoyBoy coming to Berkeley? Awesome. Wait until the Test Board crowd hears about this.

Roy, will you be in Berkeley for Shapiro's planned speech?

RoyBoy coming to Berkeley? Awesome. Wait until the Test Board crowd hears about this.

Roy, will you be in Berkeley for Shapiro's planned speech?
Apparently, I will be there at the time: my visit is 9/14-17 and his speech is 9/14.
I'm no fan of his, and I don't think many PSU fans should be, based on this column (no link) with his view of the Sandusky scandal.
Penn State: the Banality of Collaborative Evil

Day trip to Yosemite - 2.5-3 hours away. The falls are spectacular this year. Leave early to avoid the crowds.

Day trip to Yosemite - 2.5-3 hours away. The falls are spectacular this year. Leave early to avoid the crowds.

4 hours to the valley floor, but definitely worth it either way.

Napa is just over an hour away.

Fieldwork Brewing in Berkeley is really good too.

Wear one of these around campus and tell us about the adventure that follows.

713d9f80-e079-456f-89e1-5fc343e9aca7_1.a486538f2887aa900b178eb6e8201aeb.jpeg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT