ADVERTISEMENT

Travel/Food Advice

Considering a trip to Glenwood Springs, CO this summer. We like to hike, explore, kayak, sight see, visit breweries, and I'll occasionally pack a fly rod for some early morning fishing. Typically we will stay in a VRBO and rent a car/Jeep.
Any tips or suggestions?
For reference - past trips to Colorado we've stayed in (in summers) Denver, Colorado Springs, Breckenridge, Vail (not a fan), Telluride. Really liked Frisco and Ouray, but not sure we could spend 7-10 days there without getting bored.

For fishing head up to Carbondale to fish the Roaring Fork and Crystal Rivers. You can raft through the Glenwood Canyon. Can be rough depending on the time of year and water flow. Of course there are numerous hot springs to soak in. And a few breweries in Glenwood, Carbondale and Basalt all the way to Aspen on Hwy 82. Less than an hour from Glenwood to Aspen. Lots of off roading options. Pick up a copy of Colorado Byways by Tony Huegel.

Last edited:
Reactions: d-1980
After Flagstaff we are headed to Loma, Co to check out the Moab area. Also the Colorado Monument and the Grand Mesa. Possibly the Dinosaur National Park. This is our third Trip to the Western National Parks. Lived in Aspen for six years so I have seen most of Colorado. In 2016 we bought a small Roadtrek RV and drove to Alaska. Hit Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone and Glacier before heading into Canada and the Alaskan Highway. Six weeks and 12,000 miles. Would require a thread of its own. 2020 went to Yellowstone, Teton, Bryce, Zion and North Rim of Grand Canyon. So this trip is Flagstaff including the South Rim. Found a way to drive to the bottom of the Grand Canyon on Diamond Creek Rd.Has anyone done this?

In which case the shortest path goes right past the entrance to Monument Valley. That's a no-brainer. I'd add Page because it's a huge payoff with its attractions. It would add 1-3 days, but Page to Arches with Monument Valley in the middle is a very doable 1-day drive.

Reactions: Nitt Fan
Been to Page on the last trip. We had stayed in Kanab and drove to Meas Verde and onto Durango via the Four Corners(it was closed due to Covid). Went right past Monument Valley. This time I will take your advice and hit Monument Valley and stop in Moab for a day or two before moving on to Loma. Will hit Arches and Canyonlands either day 1 or 2. Thanks for the suggestion.

Another great-looking trip is the Wyoming NP's. We plan to fly into Jackson Hole (the only commercial airport wholly inside a National Park), then visit Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone NP. As of now, two days at Grand Teton and three or more at Yellowstone. Kids all live in Denver, so hoping they can join us.

Considering a trip to Glenwood Springs, CO this summer. We like to hike, explore, kayak, sight see, visit breweries, and I'll occasionally pack a fly rod for some early morning fishing. Typically we will stay in a VRBO and rent a car/Jeep.
Any tips or suggestions?
For reference - past trips to Colorado we've stayed in (in summers) Denver, Colorado Springs, Breckenridge, Vail (not a fan), Telluride. Really liked Frisco and Ouray, but not sure we could spend 7-10 days there without getting bored.

Maybe consider South Fork/Pagosa Springs area. Durango and Cortez are in play to the west and the VERY UNDERRATED Great Sand Dunes NP to the east. If you have kids, they could probably rage sledding down the dunes for a good while. Younger kids would enjoy the river through the dunes if the melt is on. If everything is still frozen, good hikes up into waterfalls.

Consolidated Utah trip (Capitol Reef NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP) comments

Our Favorite Hikes:
-- Capitol Reef: Hickman Bridge
-- Bryce: Queen's Garden, Navajo Trails (Wall Street portion was great!), anything around the rim or amphitheater (Sunset to Sunrise Pts, Rim Trail), to see hoodoo's galore.
Zion: The Narrows (#1!!, must take Riverside Walk to get there), the three Emerald Pool Trails, Par'us Trail (peaceful, EASY walk).

Places to stay:
-- Torrey Schoolhouse BnB near Capitol Reef.
-- Avoid Hatch/Panguich are if going to Zion from the east, unless you are an early riser. It's 45 minutes to the park, but 1 hr. 15 minutes to the Visitor's Center, and I STRONGLY recommend getting to Zion early (by 8am). Parking in the Visitor's Center is super-convenient. If you stay in Springdale, ignore this comment.

Food:
-- Few great options in the parks, though the Lodge at Bryce Canyon has a great lunch. We stopped at a grocery store before leaving Las Vegas to buy lunch fixin's knowing we'd be hiking a lot. Worked out great.
-- Whiptail Grill (Zion, in Springdale) was our favorite dinner spot, and Bryce Canyon Pines was our favorite outside Bryce.

Other:
-- Not a ton of nature to see, we saw much more at Rocky Mountain NP. Mule deer and Utah prairie dogs are likely, maybe Steller's Jays or white-tailed ground squirrels among other things. Plenty of turkeys in Zion too.
-- Look for but don't hit the free-range cows driving between the parks!!
-- Enjoy the East Entrance to Zion at least once.
-- Take Rte. 12 from Capitol Reef to Bryce, or visa versa.
-- STAY HYDRATED!!
-- Be comfortable in your gear if you are hikers. Strongly recommend good hiking shoes, and hiking pants, and if you have a backpack it should be comfy too.
-- Time of year is important. Even early October at Zion was packed, but not as bad as summer. We had 90 degree midday temps in Zion, and low 70's at Capitol Reef and Bryce. Mornings (6:30am) were low 30's mostly where we stayed.
-- Ranger talks can be educational and a respite from hiking.

Another great-looking trip is the Wyoming NP's. We plan to fly into Jackson Hole (the only commercial airport wholly inside a National Park), then visit Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone NP. As of now, two days at Grand Teton and three or more at Yellowstone. Kids all live in Denver, so hoping they can join us.

Hope you're allowing enough time in Yellowstone.

I had planned a trip there last year that unfortunately had to scrap -- but I remember spending a ton of time trying to optimize the Yellowstone loop roads against hotel locations. And it always came back as 8+ days total trip (including Jackson, Tetons, and the 2 flight days). I did include Beartooth Hwy (not sure if you would), but it seems like you hike more than I do.

The other things I remember about Yellowstone planning: it takes more time than you'd think because of extended traffic stops for wildlife sightings (including large animals walking right next to vehicles) -- which is a big part of why we go there! Also the park was planning significant construction that would reduce lanes and close sections of the massive loop roads, and cause a lot of wasted time stuck in traffic and/or circling back.

Hope you're allowing enough time in Yellowstone.

I had planned a trip there last year that unfortunately had to scrap -- but I remember spending a ton of time trying to optimize the Yellowstone loop roads against hotel locations. And it always came back as 8+ days total trip (including Jackson, Tetons, and the 2 flight days). I did include Beartooth Hwy (not sure if you would), but it seems like you hike more than I do.

The other things I remember about Yellowstone planning: it takes more time than you'd think because of extended traffic stops for wildlife sightings (including large animals walking right next to vehicles) -- which is a big part of why we go there! Also the park was planning significant construction that would reduce lanes and close sections of the massive loop roads, and cause a lot of wasted time stuck in traffic and/or circling back.
All that has been considered. Dealing with other's vacation limitations :). Besides, 3 full days in the park is better that one or two.

Back for more travel advice. Any suggestions for Maine and in particular Acadia? Plan on visiting this summer for 6 days, two of which is driving from Baltimore and back. Thanks in advance.

Back for more travel advice. Any suggestions for Maine and in particular Acadia? Plan on visiting this summer for 6 days, two of which is driving from Baltimore and back. Thanks in advance.

Did that a couple years ago. I'll dig up notes this weekend. In the meantime:
- Acadia is spectacular. Unfortunately everyone loves it -- expect big crowds and very limited parking.
- You can do Acadia in 2 full days + 2 half days. That's the minimum, you may want more time to see other stuff near the park.
- The adjacent town Bar Harbor is nice but has virtually no parking. We stayed at a B&B about 3 blocks from downtown, and were glad to be able to walk to dinner. (The B&B was great too.)
- The park road is shaped like the lowercase letter "b" -- a one-way clockwise loop with a two-way spur. Plan accordingly. The loop does have multiple entrances/exits.
- The drive to Maine stinks -- hard to avoid traffic jams in NY/NJ, Boston, or both. PHL western suburbs to Portland should've been 9 hrs each way, was more like 12 hrs + stops. Acadia is another 3+ hrs past Portland.
- Portland is worth a few days. Small city with a lot to do, great food, and a ton of breweries.
- North of Portland, forget I-95 even though it's faster. The coastal Rt 1 is much prettier and has more to do and see, and the inland towns are dumps.
- Hope you like seafood, blueberries, and ice cream.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lyons212
Notes from our Maine trip (2017):

Drive to Maine:
- NYC traffic (2 hrs if you're lucky). Consider taking I-87 to Poughkeepsie, then I-84 to Hartford. It's about 30 min longer (without NYC traffic, LOL) but far less stressful. Also it avoids high-intensity CT I-95 and its parallel Rt 15 (which is like the wooded sections of BW Parkway and pleasant except during beach traffic, when it gets snarled for hours).
- Boston traffic (anybody's guess, even on the outer ring bypass).
- Note, our friends in Portland (who grew up here in Philly suburbs) do this as an overnight drive every time, and swear they hit no traffic in NYC or Boston. But then they go straight to bed upon arrival.
- USS Albacore -- self-guided tour thru a retired sub, in Portsmouth NH. This is a must. Need about 1 hr. If time allows, Portsmouth is a nice town to wander around in and get lunch, a lot like Annapolis.

Portland:
- Portland is a cool town. Small city, largely walkable (though very hilly). Hotels are very expensive, but it's a small enough town that you can stay in the outskirts. Great food. We spent a couple days here each way -- but we cheated, stayed with friends in nearby Sebago.
- Odyssey Whale Watch -- a must. 2 boats per day, 4 hrs. Sells out, need advance tickets. Also arrive plenty early, waterfront parking is limited.
- Portland Observatory Museum -- highly recommend the sunset tour. It's a lighthouse on top of a hill, overlooking town and water. Very cool.
- Portland Museum of Art -- decent museum, worth about 2 hrs.
- Victorian Mansion tour -- interesting tour if you like visiting historic houses.
- International Cryptozoology Museum -- oddities museum, can kill an hour here if you don't take it too seriously. In the suburbs.
- Allagash Brewery Tour -- a must, plus the tasting room. In a suburban industrial park. Note, several other breweries in that same industrial park. Pack your backup liver.
- Shipyard Brewery Tasting Room -- because your liver doesn't have enough spots after Allagash. In town.
- Portland FIre Engine Company tour -- we missed this but it looked interesting. 1 hr.
- Maine Narrow Gorge Railroad Museum -- also missed this. Does train rides.
- Food: tons of great restaurants, hard to go wrong. We went to Terlingua (BBQ), Central Provisions (small plates), Duckfat (sandwiches/fries), Corner Room (Italian -- went 2x), Mi Sen Noodle Bar (Thai). I'm probably missing a couple. All were very good.

Portland to Acadia (via Rt. 1):
- Desert of Maine (Freeport) -- a must. Property overrun by sand (including buildings swallowed by sand), tours by 4-wheeler only -- can only walk in designated areas. Need 2 hrs.
- Freeport Outlets. Downtown Freeport is basically one big outlet center. Outlets for the Maine stores (Bass, LL Bean Outlet, Freeport Shoes) are legit. Note, Freeport is a Portland suburb -- Desert + outlets can be done while in town rather than in transit.
- Bath -- not a ton here, just a pleasant waterfront town to get out, stretch legs, and get some lunch. We ate at the Irish pub in town, hard to go wrong with that.
- Coastal Maine Botanical Garden (Boothbay) -- we missed this for time but it looked very cool. Boat tours of the gardens.
- Owl's Head Transportation Museum -- a must. Lots of cars, planes, and the like. Min 2 hrs but you could spend a lot more time here if so inclined.
- Penobscot Marine Museum
- Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory & Ft. Knox Tunnels -- highly recommended. Combined admission gets you up the tower overlooking the bridge + tour of the old fort. Need about 90 min.

Acadia National Park:
- Recommend getting a National Parks pass so you can skip the Visitor Center (or only go there 1x). There is a shuttle, though I recommend driving if you can beat the crowds. Shuttle is best if you want to take one-way hikes between shuttle stops.
- Cadillac Mountain -- great overlook with some easy walking around. Get there early. On the spur road.
- Wild Gardens of Acadia -- this is less well known, might be less crowded.
- Sand Beach -- nice beach, if cold. Watch for the entrance or you'll have to do the entire loop again. Parking lot too small, will likely see lots of cars parked along the road. thee is a smaller less known beach (with a lot less sand) further down the loop.
- Thunder Hole -- inlet where you can hear waves crashing into the rocks.
- Otter Cliff Overlook
- Jordan Pond -- beautiful lake. Eat at the Jordan Pond House, then walk around the grounds, pick and eat fresh blueberries as you go. Hikes from there if so inclined.
- Many trails for hiking. Definitely do some.

Outside Acadia:
- Bar Harbor -- seasonal tourist town. Recommend staying at one of the B&Bs on or near Mt. Desert Rd for proximity to the park, also to walk downtown. We were very happy with Anne's White Columns Inn.
- Bar Harbor food -- Havana was awesome. Blaze (pizza) was mediocre but had a great beer list. Mount Desert Ice Cream is a must, every day you're there.
- Chainsaw Ray Murphy (Hancock) -- an absolute must if he's still doing early evening shows ... but you might want to bring goggles. The guy is a real character too.
- Timber Tina's Lumberjack Show (Trenton) -- this was our backup if Chainsaw Ray took the day off.
- Southwest Harbor -- Acadia is the eastern half of Mt Desert Island, this is the western half with its own loop. Worth driving around and exploring for a few hours. There is a good car museum here (though Owl's Head is better if you must choose).
- Winter Harbor -- across the bay from Bar Harbor. We didn't go but an outdoorsy co-worker raved about it. This might be too much for the time you plan to be away.

This trip also has countless roadside attractions -- road trip fun that doesn't take much time, quick pics or stretch the legs for 5 min. Recommend the NH and ME maps on Roadside America.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Cali_Nittany

Drive to Maine:
- NYC traffic (2 hrs if you're lucky). Consider taking I-87 to Poughkeepsie, then I-84 to Hartford. It's about 30 min longer (without NYC traffic, LOL) but far less stressful. Also it avoids high-intensity CT I-95 and its parallel Rt 15 (which is like the wooded sections of BW Parkway and pleasant except during beach traffic, when it gets snarled for hours).
- Note, our friends in Portland (who grew up here in Philly suburbs) do this as an overnight drive every time, and swear they hit no traffic in NYC or Boston. But then they go straight to bed upon arrival.
- USS Albacore -- self-guided tour thru a retired sub, in Portsmouth NH. This is a must. Need about 1 hr. If time allows, Portsmouth is a nice town to wander around in and get lunch, a lot like Annapolis.

Portland:
- Portland is a cool town. Small city, largely walkable (though very hilly). Hotels are very expensive, but it's a small enough town that you can stay in the outskirts. Great food. We spent a couple days here each way -- but we cheated, stayed with friends in nearby Sebago.
- Odyssey Whale Watch -- a must. 2 boats per day, 4 hrs. Sells out, need advance tickets. Also arrive plenty early, waterfront parking is limited.
- Portland Observatory Museum -- highly recommend the sunset tour. It's a lighthouse on top of a hill, overlooking town and water. Very cool.
- Victorian Mansion tour -- interesting tour if you like visiting historic houses.
- International Cryptozoology Museum -- oddities museum, can kill an hour here if you don't take it too seriously. In the suburbs.
- Allagash Brewery Tour -- a must, plus the tasting room. In a suburban industrial park. Note, several other breweries in that same industrial park. Pack your backup liver.
- Shipyard Brewery Tasting Room -- because your liver doesn't have enough spots after Allagash. In town.
- Portland FIre Engine Company tour -- we missed this but it looked interesting. 1 hr.
- Food: tons of great restaurants, hard to go wrong. We went to Terlingua (BBQ), Central Provisions (small plates), Duckfat (sandwiches/fries), Corner Room (Italian -- went 2x), Mi Sen Noodle Bar (Thai). I'm probably missing a couple. All were very good.

- Desert of Maine (Freeport) -- a must. Property overrun by sand (including buildings swallowed by sand), tours by 4-wheeler only -- can only walk in designated areas. Need 2 hrs.
- Freeport Outlets. Downtown Freeport is basically one big outlet center. Outlets for the Maine stores (Bass, LL Bean Outlet, Freeport Shoes) are legit. Note, Freeport is a Portland suburb -- Desert + outlets can be done while in town rather than in transit.
- Bath -- not a ton here, just a pleasant waterfront town to get out, stretch legs, and get some lunch. We ate at the Irish pub in town, hard to go wrong with that.
- Coastal Maine Botanical Garden (Boothbay) -- we missed this for time but it looked very cool. Boat tours of the gardens.
- Owl's Head Transportation Museum -- a must. Lots of cars, planes, and the like. Min 2 hrs but you could spend a lot more time here if so inclined.
- Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory & Ft. Knox Tunnels -- highly recommended. Combined admission gets you up the tower overlooking the bridge + tour of the old fort. Need about 90 min.

Acadia National Park:
- Recommend getting a National Parks pass so you can skip the Visitor Center (or only go there 1x). There is a shuttle, though I recommend driving if you can beat the crowds. Shuttle is best if you want to take one-way hikes between shuttle stops.
- Cadillac Mountain -- great overlook with some easy walking around. Get there early. On the spur road.
- Sand Beach -- nice beach, if cold. Watch for the entrance or you'll have to do the entire loop again. Parking lot too small, will likely see lots of cars parked along the road. thee is a smaller less known beach (with a lot less sand) further down the loop.
- Otter Cliff Overlook
- Jordan Pond -- beautiful lake. Eat at the Jordan Pond House, then walk around the grounds, pick and eat fresh blueberries as you go. Hikes from there if so inclined.

Outside Acadia:
- Bar Harbor -- seasonal tourist town. Recommend staying at one of the B&Bs on or near Mt. Desert Rd for proximity to the park, also to walk downtown. We were very happy with Anne's White Columns Inn.
- Bar Harbor food -- Havana was awesome. Blaze (pizza) was mediocre but had a great beer list. Mount Desert Ice Cream is a must, every day you're there.
- Chainsaw Ray Murphy (Hancock) -- an absolute must if he's still doing early evening shows ... but you might want to bring goggles. The guy is a real character too.
- Timber Tina's Lumberjack Show (Trenton) -- this was our backup if Chainsaw Ray took the day off.
- Southwest Harbor -- Acadia is the eastern half of Mt Desert Island, this is the western half with its own loop. Worth driving around and exploring for a few hours. There is a good car museum here (though Owl's Head is better if you must choose).
- Winter Harbor -- across the bay from Bar Harbor. We didn't go but an outdoorsy co-worker raved about it. This might be too much for the time you plan to be away.

This trip also has countless roadside attractions -- road trip fun that doesn't take much time, quick pics or stretch the legs for 5 min. Recommend the NH and ME maps on Roadside America.
Thanks for the excellent information.

I lived in Scarborough Maine (just south of Portland) for a year, I made the drive from NEPA to there in 6 hours many times, no stops! If my young kids were with me it took 7+. We were on top of Cadillac Mountain when the OJ verdict came in!

one addition to Portland Restaurants, go to Eventide Oyster company, same street as Duckfat Restaurant, and have a brown butter lobster roll. Not a traditional lobster roll at all but one of the best bites of food I have ever!

Lyons,
I can also recommend a great book on the National Parks. There are several good ones, our favorite is the Moon, USA National Parks book by Becky Lomax. Paperback is inexpensive at about $20, and it contains the newest addition to the NP’s, West Virginia’s New River Gorge.

Can we start naming random towns and see if Jefe has a detailed itinerary for all of them? I'm starting to think we can't stump him....

I'll give it a shot though - Lorain Ohio
Default position on Ohio: stick to the freeways and drive thru with no or minimal stops.

There are a few exceptions to that, such as tornado warnings, but overall a good rule of thumb.

Default position on Ohio: stick to the freeways and drive thru with no or minimal stops.

There are a few exceptions to that, such as tornado warnings, but overall a good rule of thumb.
Come to Kelleys Island, you'll change your stance quickly. Got a place there, first barley soda on me...

Come to Kelleys Island, you'll change your stance quickly. Got a place there, first barley soda on me...
Just beware South Bass Island!...
giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha
Reactions: GantryZ

Drive to Maine:

Portland:

Acadia National Park:
- Otter Cliff Overlook

Outside Acadia:

Maine is on my list also. The last of the 50 states for me to visit. I usually make fishing part of my trips. I have avoided Maine because of the reputation for mosquitos and black flies. What month would be the best to avoid the biting hordes?

Lyons,
I can also recommend a great book on the National Parks. There are several good ones, our favorite is the Moon, USA National Parks book by Becky Lomax. Paperback is inexpensive at about $20, and it contains the newest addition to the NP’s, West Virginia’s New River Gorge.
Thank you

Maine is on my list also. The last of the 50 states for me to visit. I usually make fishing part of my trips. I have avoided Maine because of the reputation for mosquitos and black flies. What month would be the best to avoid the biting hordes?

We were there in October 2017 and had no issues. I don't think we used bug spray but don't remember for certain. I know we didn't spray our clothes.

We were in the Michigan UP -- which has the same bug reputation -- in October, used no bug repellent, no bites.

If in doubt, spray the clothes before the trip with permethrin, and buy a bottle of Sawyer picaridin (which is much better than deet). We did this in SE Asia and at Iguazu Falls, and got no bites at either.

We lived in Maine for a year, actually right at the edge of the 3,100 acre salt marsh, largest in the state. The bugs were bad in our yard, but outside that area not too bad that regular bug spray couldn't handle it. They jokingly call the mosquito the state bird but it isn't really that bad.

Any recommendations on Puerto Rico? Planning on Old San Juan, pork highway, El Yunque and a day trip to either Culebra or Vieques.
Love Puerto Rico. Last time we stayed about 5 days in Old San Juan, about two blocks from the end of Del Sol Street right by an entrance to the fort. We rented a 4 bedroom, 2 bath, row home that was about 250 years old with beautiful Spanish architecture. Lots of restaurants, bars, stores, etc all within walking distance. I got mine on VRBO for a great price. We then went south an stayed in a resort on the water outside of El Yunque. Here are a couple of thoughts from that trip.

Parking in Old San Juan is a serious issue so make arrangements in advance. My rental came with parking about two blocks away. Also, the roads are extremely narrow so get the smallest vehicle that works for your crowd. Bring your insurance documents including declarations page, agreement, and standard vehicle insurance card or your rental place will make you buy insurance for a very high cost (I was prepared).

Go to Carli's Fine Bistro and Piano bar on a night that the owner, Carli Munez is playing. Carli was the keyboard player for the Beach Boys in the mid 70's and does a fantastic job. You may also run into other well-known musicians who happen to be in San Juan as they will come by and jam with Carli.

Make sure to swim in the waterfall at El Yunque.

Hit the "Kiosks" just north of luquillo outside of El Yunque. They may look like shanties, but the food is unbelievably good. Here's a google map of the kiosks. Zoom-in and do a street view.
Kiosk map

Sunday is a great day for the Pork Highway. The women will be dressed to the hilt and Salsa dancing will be taking place. Good time for sure.

La Perla, neighborhood in Old San Juan, just down the hill on the north side is considered to be the most dangerous neighborhood in the city. However, there are some great very local bars down there and we went a few times with no issues.

Don't miss a tour at Bacardi. It was a lot of fun.

Lots of chickens and cats, not so many dogs.

Last edited:
Travel request: wife and I are planning a 2-wk trip to central Mexico in late fall. Ballpark 4-5 days in San Miguel, then a week in Mexico City. Yes, this includes Dia de los Muertos.

1. Guanajuato -- good enough as a day trip from San Miguel? Or should we carve out a couple days for it?

2. Queretaro -- worth a day trip from San Miguel?

3. Puebla and Taxco -- are these too far and/or too much to do as day trips from CDMX? Do they justify carving out a couple days? Or maybe save for a return trip?

4. Any other thoughts?

Herb & Wood owned by Chef Brian Malarkey. Juniper & Ivy owned by Chef, Richard Blais. San Diego restaurants.

Been to Page on the last trip. We had stayed in Kanab and drove to Meas Verde and onto Durango via the Four Corners(it was closed due to Covid). Went right past Monument Valley. This time I will take your advice and hit Monument Valley and stop in Moab for a day or two before moving on to Loma. Will hit Arches and Canyonlands either day 1 or 2. Thanks for the suggestion.
Going to the Bronco off rodeo in Moab in May. https://broncooffroadeo.com/locations/moab
Forgive me for the color but I am from Pittsburgh.
Has anyone driven the White Rim Road in Canyonlands?
2021_Ford_Bronco_Sport_First_Edition_7.jpg

Last edited:
Travel request: wife and I are planning a 2-wk trip to central Mexico in late fall. Ballpark 4-5 days in San Miguel, then a week in Mexico City. Yes, this includes Dia de los Muertos.

1. Guanajuato -- good enough as a day trip from San Miguel? Or should we carve out a couple days for it?

2. Queretaro -- worth a day trip from San Miguel?

3. Puebla and Taxco -- are these too far and/or too much to do as day trips from CDMX? Do they justify carving out a couple days? Or maybe save for a return trip?

4. Any other thoughts?
I have a customer in Queretaro and it is a large modern city. The historic center is really nice, and because industry is so prevalent there it is a very safe city to move through. But you are wise to stay in San Miguel. A lot of people go from Queretaro to San Miguel for day trips because it is so beautiful. But based on 4-5 days in San Miguel, I'd definitely check it out. I have a good friend with a plant in Queretaro and spends much more time there. I'll ask him for ideas.

Well, the Flagstaff fire has killed that side trip. Am planning to go to Ouray instead. Anyone been there? I have four wheeled out of Lake City but did not go past the Animas Mine ghost town.
Million Dollar Highway to Silverton
Train from Silverton to Durango
Love Great Sand Dunes, but thats a bit of a huck from Ouray.

Reactions: WexfordWarrior
Well, the Flagstaff fire has killed that side trip. Am planning to go to Ouray instead. Anyone been there? I have four wheeled out of Lake City but did not go past the Animas Mine ghost town.
We stopped in Ouray on our way to Telluride one summer. It's a cool little town with a couple microbreweries and some nice hiking. We saw more LandRovers in Telluride than I've ever seen in my life. Lots of 4-wheeling opportunities if you're brave enough. Some decent flyfishing near there too.

These tips were very helpful. Really enjoyed our trip. Kiosks were great. Good hiking in El Yunque and we loved Old San Juan. Nice to have a direct flight there from Raleigh.

Love Puerto Rico. Last time we stayed about 5 days in Old San Juan, about two blocks from the end of Del Sol Street right by an entrance to the fort. We rented a 4 bedroom, 2 bath, row home that was about 250 years old with beautiful Spanish architecture. Lots of restaurants, bars, stores, etc all within walking distance. I got mine on VRBO for a great price. We then went south an stayed in a resort on the water outside of El Yunque. Here are a couple of thoughts from that trip.

Parking in Old San Juan is a serious issue so make arrangements in advance. My rental came with parking about two blocks away. Also, the roads are extremely narrow so get the smallest vehicle that works for your crowd. Bring your insurance documents including declarations page, agreement, and standard vehicle insurance card or your rental place will make you buy insurance for a very high cost (I was prepared).

Go to Carli's Fine Bistro and Piano bar on a night that the owner, Carli Munez is playing. Carli was the keyboard player for the Beach Boys in the mid 70's and does a fantastic job. You may also run into other well-known musicians who happen to be in San Juan as they will come by and jam with Carli.

Make sure to swim in the waterfall at El Yunque.

Hit the "Kiosks" just north of luquillo outside of El Yunque. They may look like shanties, but the food is unbelievably good. Here's a google map of the kiosks. Zoom-in and do a street view.
Kiosk map

Sunday is a great day for the Pork Highway. The women will be dressed to the hilt and Salsa dancing will be taking place. Good time for sure.

La Perla, neighborhood in Old San Juan, just down the hill on the north side is considered to be the most dangerous neighborhood in the city. However, there are some great very local bars down there and we went a few times with no issues.

Don't miss a tour at Bacardi. It was a lot of fun.

Lots of chickens and cats, not so many dogs.

These tips were very helpful. Really enjoyed our trip. Kiosks were great. Good hiking in El Yunque and we loved Old San Juan. Nice to have a direct flight there from Raleigh.
Glad I could be of some help. Any discoveries you made that should be on the agenda for the next time in Puerto Rico?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT