ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Travel & Food ideas

Any New Hopers here?
Oldest son is thinking of having his wedding at the Hotel du Village.
Thoughts? Ratings?

Any New Hopers here?
Thoughts? Ratings?
I live an hour away so FWIW ... New Hope is an artist colony. Nice area. The hotel is a few miles outside town. I'd expect it to be very nice, as the area takes pride in maintaining its image (plus that image is lucrative).

@dicemen99 lives in Bucks County, possibly more familiar.

A tip in general: if your facility/caterer allow you to supply alcohol, go with Little Brothers in Flemington NJ. Very easy to work with. They will pick up and not charge you for unopened bottles. We stuck to beer/wine/champagne (no liquor) to minimize partial-use bottles. We kept some extra bottles anyway, and still saved a ton of money.

Congrats in advance!

I live an hour away so FWIW ... New Hope is an artist colony. Nice area. The hotel is a few miles outside town. I'd expect it to be very nice, as the area takes pride in maintaining its image (plus that image is lucrative).

@dicemen99 lives in Bucks County, possibly more familiar.

A tip in general: if your facility/caterer allow you to supply alcohol, go with Little Brothers in Flemington NJ. Very easy to work with. They will pick up and not charge you for unopened bottles. We stuck to beer/wine/champagne (no liquor) to minimize partial-use bottles. We kept some extra bottles anyway, and still saved a ton of money.

Congrats in advance!
Thx Jefe, and are you still thinking of Jordan trip?? Crazy over there right now.

Anybody ever been to Jordan? The country, not the Bucks who can't get off bottom. (And yes, I searched, nothing on this board.)

We're looking at late Feb/early March, say 7-8 days. Looks like technically winter with some reduced hours, but spring-like temps (as opposed to desert cold or bake-off) and lower risk of heavy rains/flash floods.

Some specific questions:
1. Amman and the north: How many days? Can't miss vs don't bother things to do? Public transit vs taxis/Uber?

2. Petra: how many days? Is Petra at Night worthwhile?
Note: we will likely need 1 more day than most, due to some physical limitations of one person in our group. He'll want to see everything notable, and so we'll need to allow for extra rest between sites.

3. Wadi Rum: worth it as a day trip from Petra? We're likely disinclined to spend a night there (esp. in the desert in Feb/Mar).

4. Dead Sea: dedicated stop, day trip from Amman, or not a priority?

5. Should we rent a car to go between Amman and Petra/Wadi Rum? Or stick with buses? (We would avoid driving in Amman itself if possible.)

6. Should we bother with Aqaba? Looks like only a Red Sea beach resort + an airport.

7. Any guide recommendations in Amman area (driver/guide) or Petra?

8. Food recommendations? (Restaurants and/or dishes.)

9. We might be there during Ramadan). What challenges does that pose with daytime closures, roads/traffic, afternoon guide energy, etc.?

10. Any other unfamiliar cultural stuff/customs/traditions to be aware of?

Anything else? TIA.
As mentioned in a post somewhere else, I visited Amman in 19’ to visit with a former biz partner. We always used a driver (supplied by the Jordanian Pharma Co who employs him) for travel. We did not venture far out into the countryside, but, my buddy indicated that doing so was NOT dangerous as long as you drive within Jordanian limits. A coworkers wife got caught speeding outside the city and he had to pick her up at a police station with a bond. Summer is blazing hot, but, my bud said Spring is delightful. If your wife is going, you should buy a book on religious customs as locals were a little twitchy outside center city. Otherwise, Amman is a lot like Kansas City …. Civil …. good food, … … retail people/citizens treat you with extreme courtesy. Based on the overall feel that I got, ….. I’d hire a guide if you visit sites out in the countryside. If you stumble out there you are gonna need a friend. Good luck.

Reactions: El-Jefe
Did a driving tour of Jordan with my wife a few years back.
Rented a car in Aqaba. Aqaba was a bit dirty and run down so we drove directly to Wadi Rum.
Wadi rum has many Bedouin camps. Some are very cheap and basic while others are more expensive and luxurious. There was A/C in some of the tents so I would expect heat as well. There is some interesting history with Laurence of Arabia and the landscape is stunning . We were there three days, two nights and had a private pickup, with seats in the back and a driver, that took us all over the area. It was a highlight of our trip,
Next up was a drive to Petra. Petra is one of the iconic places that should not be missed. We are fit and mobile and two days of being on the move let us hit everything but more time would not have been wasted. We stayed at an AirBnB that was run by a Belgian woman that was very nice. Let me know if you need details.
We then drove to the Amman airport and dropped off the rental car. We would have kept the car and gone to Jerash after Amman but the Syrian war was hot and heavy at the time and it is close to the border.
We stayed in a nice AirBnB that overlooked The Citadel with its own terrace. This area was very cosmopolitan with many restaurants and shops. There are other areas of Amman that are less nice, like any city.
Outside of Amman driving is a breeze. There are very few cars on the road and Google maps works flawlessly. I would not hesitate to do it again.
The Dead Sea is only worth going if you are getting in.
There are no customs or cultural stuff that you need to worry about. There was beer at Wadi Rum and wine at Petra that had to stay in certain areas. Most Westerners wore shorts and tshirts everywhere.
At no time did we feel out of place or unsafe. If you go to Petra on a weekend there will be kids there begging for money. Some of them will curse at you in perfect english if you don’t give them anything.
Let me know if you want any more info.

Did a driving tour of Jordan with my wife a few years back.
Rented a car in Aqaba. Aqaba was a bit dirty and run down so we drove directly to Wadi Rum.
Wadi rum has many Bedouin camps. Some are very cheap and basic while others are more expensive and luxurious. There was A/C in some of the tents so I would expect heat as well. There is some interesting history with Laurence of Arabia and the landscape is stunning . We were there three days, two nights and had a private pickup, with seats in the back and a driver, that took us all over the area. It was a highlight of our trip,
Next up was a drive to Petra. Petra is one of the iconic places that should not be missed. We are fit and mobile and two days of being on the move let us hit everything but more time would not have been wasted. We stayed at an AirBnB that was run by a Belgian woman that was very nice. Let me know if you need details.
We then drove to the Amman airport and dropped off the rental car. We would have kept the car and gone to Jerash after Amman but the Syrian war was hot and heavy at the time and it is close to the border.
We stayed in a nice AirBnB that overlooked The Citadel with its own terrace. This area was very cosmopolitan with many restaurants and shops. There are other areas of Amman that are less nice, like any city.
Outside of Amman driving is a breeze. There are very few cars on the road and Google maps works flawlessly. I would not hesitate to do it again.
The Dead Sea is only worth going if you are getting in.
There are no customs or cultural stuff that you need to worry about. There was beer at Wadi Rum and wine at Petra that had to stay in certain areas. Most Westerners wore shorts and tshirts everywhere.
At no time did we feel out of place or unsafe. If you go to Petra on a weekend there will be kids there begging for money. Some of them will curse at you in perfect english if you don’t give them anything.
Let me know if you want any more info.
Great info!

If you have your AirBnBs and Wadi Rum accommodations (and if you used any private drivers/guides), and wish to share, much appreciated.

Kids begging for money ... sounds like Cambodia, except those kids didn't curse.

Any New Hopers here?
Thoughts? Ratings?
I used to be a New Hoper, lived about 2 miles south of there just off River Road until about 10 years ago.

Sorry, can't say I've been to an event there. I will say that it looks beautiful, is very accessible and as @El-Jefe stated, I'd expect the hospitality to be top notch - there are several facilities that are outstanding in the New Hope area. Probably pricey but worth it.

Thx Jefe, and are you still thinking of Jordan trip?? Crazy over there right now.
Yes. Jordan is safe and stable, and there's little risk of anything spilling into there given the geography. And I don't plan to discuss Middle East politics while there.

The one thing possibly at risk is the day trip to Jerusalem. It goes thru the Palestinian areas, which might be agitated -- though Israel controls the Jordan border crossing (and possibly controls the main road to Jerusalem?).

In any case, the deciding factor will be if everyone can handle the physical rigors of Petra. We might book the flight to Europe sooner and decide on Jordan later. If Jordan doesn't work out, then it's 2 weeks in Spain or Italy instead. Bummer.

Yes. Jordan is safe and stable, and there's little risk of anything spilling into there given the geography. And I don't plan to discuss Middle East politics while there.

The one thing possibly at risk is the day trip to Jerusalem. It goes thru the Palestinian areas, which might be agitated -- though Israel controls the Jordan border crossing (and possibly controls the main road to Jerusalem?).

In any case, the deciding factor will be if everyone can handle the physical rigors of Petra. We might book the flight to Europe sooner and decide on Jordan later. If Jordan doesn't work out, then it's 2 weeks in Spain or Italy instead. Bummer.
If you want any Airbnb/restaurant/tour recommendations in Italy, let me know.

If you want any Airbnb/restaurant/tour recommendations in Italy, let me know.
Sure! Appreciated.

If we go to Jordan, then we'll spend roughly 4d in Rome.

If we skip Jordan, then we'll go from Rome to Sicily. (And maybe Malta, depending on timing, return flights, etc.).

At least that's the plan ...

Sure! Appreciated.

If we skip Jordan, then we'll go from Rome to Sicily. (And maybe Malta, depending on timing, return flights, etc.).

In Rome we did a tour with this company, we had Massimo,the founder, and did the Julius Caesar and the Emporers. The Scarlet Ladies tour sounds good too. Very enjoyable, he weaves stories into showing sites. I recommend to a friend and his family really enjoyed it also.

Plus, do a Rome market tour and a cooking class.

Sure! Appreciated.

EJ,
This is an Airbnb we have stayed in twice. It overlooks Piazza Navona and has three bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths. It also has full AC and a washer and dryer. The kitchen is gourmet. I went to Campo di Fiori one morning and made a complete dinner one night. It is on the top floor, but there is an elevator. One bedroom is on the main floor, the other two are up one flight of steps. There is a huge dining room and living room, and an office area. You can open the windows and let the music and sound from Piazza Navona in, but when you close the windows it is quiet as can be. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3254154?source_impression_id=p3_1697117124_z0voNM9Pp3xjjZcn

Restaurant-wise these are a couple of my favorites:

Trattoria Perilli - in Testaccio you'll dine with 90% locals and 10% that "know". The best carbonara in Rome. They will bring it family style and they'll choose one at the table to get the "big bowl". As is the European way, at 10:00pm when we are wrapping up dinner, Italian families with small children are just rolling in.

Roscioli - This is no secret, located down the alley from Campo di Fiori, but it is still one of Rome's iconic restaurants. Sprouted from a salumeria, you're offered all the classic Roman pastas, plus trippa, sea bass, veal, lamb, beef since it is a butcher shop.

Mimi e Coco - Try the location in Trastavere. There is also one located at the foot of Piazza Navona but I recommend Trastavere. It is a food lovers paradise.

I'm sure you will also want to visit the Jewish Ghetto where there are some great restaurants that will fill you up with artichokes. Nonna Betta is an icon in the area, but you can trip and fall into any great place to indulge in carciofo (artichokes).

Make sure to buy tickets to The Borghese Gallery well in advance. My favorite piece of art is located there. The Rape of Proserpina is breathtaking. Michelangelo had a gift, Bernini was a magician. It portrays Proserpina, the goddess of fertility being abducted by Pluto and taken to the underworld.

Scavi Tour of Saint Peter's Basilica - this is a very limited tour where small groups are taken many levels down below the Basilica. The church was originally built over an old pagan temple. You descend to those levels and work your way up to current working church. You get to see the real place where St Peter's bones are kept. The stairs and the humidity can be a challenge for some, so keep that in mind. They have to keep the humidity up to preserve the relics. You have to fax/email the Scavi office to ask for a tour. It will help if you have an Italian in your party! Information is here: http://www.scavi.va/content/scavi/en/prenotazione.html

To me, the Vatican Museum is nothing earth shattering. But if you buy one of the "unguided skip the line tours", you can skip the whole queue and walk right in. It doesn't cost much more and is a time saver. They sell them at a little information kiosk adjacent to St Mark's Square (to the right as you face the Basilica). This will give you the added benefit of skipping the queue for the Basilica (if you don't do the Scavi Tour which gets you in)

The Coliseum is the one place I would book a guide. First of all, you will be taken to the floor of the Coliseum and even below the floor where the gladiators, slaves, and exotic animals were kept. These areas are inaccessible with regular admittance. I love the Coliseum. I go every time I'm in Rome (just 2 weeks ago). You will also find the guide invaluable in the Forum and Palatine Hills. It is very valuable to have a guide to understand what you are seeing. Otherwise, at least take Rick Steve's book and study that section in advance. There is a lot there that is fascinating but easily missed as "just some ruins".

I don't have any intel on Sicily, but if you switch gears to Puglia, Sorrento/Amalfi Coast/Pompeii, Florence, Tuscany, Emilia-Romagna (Bologna/Modena/Parma), I could offer more.

EJ,
This is an Airbnb we have stayed in twice. It overlooks Piazza Navona and has three bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths. It also has full AC and a washer and dryer. The kitchen is gourmet. I went to Campo di Fiori one morning and made a complete dinner one night. It is on the top floor, but there is an elevator. One bedroom is on the main floor, the other two are up one flight of steps. There is a huge dining room and living room, and an office area. You can open the windows and let the music and sound from Piazza Navona in, but when you close the windows it is quiet as can be. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3254154?source_impression_id=p3_1697117124_z0voNM9Pp3xjjZcn

Restaurant-wise these are a couple of my favorites:

Trattoria Perilli - in Testaccio you'll dine with 90% locals and 10% that "know". The best carbonara in Rome. They will bring it family style and they'll choose one at the table to get the "big bowl". As is the European way, at 10:00pm when we are wrapping up dinner, Italian families with small children are just rolling in.

Roscioli - This is no secret, located down the alley from Campo di Fiori, but it is still one of Rome's iconic restaurants. Sprouted from a salumeria, you're offered all the classic Roman pastas, plus trippa, sea bass, veal, lamb, beef since it is a butcher shop.

Mimi e Coco - Try the location in Trastavere. There is also one located at the foot of Piazza Navona but I recommend Trastavere. It is a food lovers paradise.

I'm sure you will also want to visit the Jewish Ghetto where there are some great restaurants that will fill you up with artichokes. Nonna Betta is an icon in the area, but you can trip and fall into any great place to indulge in carciofo (artichokes).

Make sure to buy tickets to The Borghese Gallery well in advance. My favorite piece of art is located there. The Rape of Proserpina is breathtaking. Michelangelo had a gift, Bernini was a magician. It portrays Proserpina, the goddess of fertility being abducted by Pluto and taken to the underworld.

Scavi Tour of Saint Peter's Basilica - this is a very limited tour where small groups are taken many levels down below the Basilica. The church was originally built over an old pagan temple. You descend to those levels and work your way up to current working church. You get to see the real place where St Peter's bones are kept. The stairs and the humidity can be a challenge for some, so keep that in mind. They have to keep the humidity up to preserve the relics. You have to fax/email the Scavi office to ask for a tour. It will help if you have an Italian in your party! Information is here: http://www.scavi.va/content/scavi/en/prenotazione.html

To me, the Vatican Museum is nothing earth shattering. But if you buy one of the "unguided skip the line tours", you can skip the whole queue and walk right in. It doesn't cost much more and is a time saver. They sell them at a little information kiosk adjacent to St Mark's Square (to the right as you face the Basilica). This will give you the added benefit of skipping the queue for the Basilica (if you don't do the Scavi Tour which gets you in)

The Coliseum is the one place I would book a guide. First of all, you will be taken to the floor of the Coliseum and even below the floor where the gladiators, slaves, and exotic animals were kept. These areas are inaccessible with regular admittance. I love the Coliseum. I go every time I'm in Rome (just 2 weeks ago). You will also find the guide invaluable in the Forum and Palatine Hills. It is very valuable to have a guide to understand what you are seeing. Otherwise, at least take Rick Steve's book and study that section in advance. There is a lot there that is fascinating but easily missed as "just some ruins".

I don't have any intel on Sicily, but if you switch gears to Puglia, Sorrento/Amalfi Coast/Pompeii, Florence, Tuscany, Emilia-Romagna (Bologna/Modena/Parma), I could offer more.
You said Testaccio.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 82bordeaux
I keep entering the special lotteries on PA's fine wine and spirits website with hopes of scoring some Pappy.
In this most recent one (November) I received notice that I was one of the lucky entrants who won the right to purchase a bottle of Blanton's Gold Straight special edition at a decent price. woohoo :D

Planning to share with some family over the holidays and wondering.....................
what is "your" favorite Old Fashioned recipe?

Cheers

I keep entering the special lotteries on PA's fine wine and spirits website with hopes of scoring some Pappy.
In this most recent one (November) I received notice that I was one of the lucky entrants who won the right to purchase a bottle of Blanton's Gold Straight special edition at a decent price. woohoo :D

Planning to share with some family over the holidays and wondering.....................
what is "your" favorite Old Fashioned recipe?

Cheers
Here is a quick video from the owner of a local distillery that also happens to be a great mixologist. Old fashioned are great and fairly easy.

Darn, video won’t work. He says two ounces of bourbon, some brown sugar simple syrup, a few dashes of bitters, swirl in a good cocktail cherry, not the bright red ones, and a twist of orange peel.

I am starting a new job soon and I will be taking a business trip to Columbia. Has anyone visited? Any tips, things to see or eat? I will be primarily in Medellín but will also be visiting a cocoa plantation.

Reactions: hlstone
I am starting a new job soon and I will be taking a business trip to Columbia. Has anyone visited? Any tips, things to see or eat? I will be primarily in Medellín but will also be visiting a cocoa plantation.
Here's what my neighbors (husband and wife both from Colombia) said:

Safety:
- Generally, normal city precautions will suffice. Biggest issue is petty theft. Note that phones are targets for thieves -- when in public, keep it in your pocket.
- Stay out of Centro, Candelaria, and Comuna 13 at night. (But OK in daylight.)

Transportation:
- Uber/Lyft exist. The Latin American version (Cabify) is popular.
- Taxi or ride app from the airport. Expect around 75k COP ($15-$20).
- Public transit is good, especially the cable cars.
- Drivers are crazy, and pedestrians do not have the right of way.

Things to do:
- Centro/Candelaria: Plaza Botero, Museo de Antioquia, Casa de la Memoria (museum of the war on drugs; locals prefer you do this over the Escobar tour)
- Guided tour of Comuna 13 for street art and urban transformation history
- One of the main streets is closed every Sunday morning. This is a good time to see the city on foot. Also check the city events calendar for any festivals.
- Soccer game
- Hike or bike up to Cerro de las Tres Cruces for city views. If hiking, get a ride to the base.
- Ride the cable cars to some mountaintop(s). Even if you just return without leaving the station. You're going for the view, and it's cheap.
- Parque Avi national park. Can reach by cable car.
- Day trip to Guatape colonial town + boat tours of lake + El Penol rock (aka El Penon de Guatape).

Food:
- Here's a thread on Colombian foods: https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-must-eat-foods-in-Bogota-and-Medellin
- Portions can be huge. Bandeja Paisa in particular can feed a small family for a week.
- Do a food tour early in your trip, so you're familiar with street food and hole-in-the-wall places (which might be more traditional than where you'd otherwise go)
- Have some cash for street snacks whereever you go. Especially parks and day trips out of town. (Just not a lot for safety.)
- If you ask locals where to eat, be sure to ask where they eat (not just a generic recommendation). Locals think visitors want places with nice-looking food, not traditional food.
- try various tropical fruits in the markets

Side note (my thoughts): I've been to a number of Colombian restaurants in the US. The food is good but definitely more comfort food. Expect to enjoy it but not be wowed (except by portion sizes).

If you are bringing any heads back with you, remember to place them in your checked baggage. Carry ons is a no no.

• Haha
Reactions: 86PSUPaul
making plans to go to St Kitts as I see my son go to Ross Uni vet school. Any thoughts about this island - where to go and stay away from. School seems to be in the Bassetere area. I'm sure you've been there jefe!

making plans to go to St Kitts as I see my son go to Ross Uni vet school. Any thoughts about this island - where to go and stay away from. School seems to be in the Bassetere area. I'm sure you've been there jefe!
I flew in and out of St Kitts for a visit to Nevis. So I don’t know much about St Kitts but Nevis is a short fairy (edit, ferry, stupid autocorrect) ride and it has a great restaurant named Bananas, plus a pretty good beach bar at the end of the Four Season’s beach, named Sunshines.

Last edited:
I flew in and out of St Kitts for a visit to Nevis. So I don’t know much about St Kitts but Nevis is a short fairy ride and it has a great restaurant named Bananas, plus a pretty good beach bar at the end of the Four Season’s beach, named Sunshines.
Tinker Bell Fairy GIF

Last edited:
I have a home in the eastern Caribbean and spend my winters here. I have been to St Kitts once but have been to Nevis many times.
Accommodations:

Montpelier and Golden Rock are two plantations and are some of the best places to stay. They have lovely rooms and excellant restaurants. Prices are better after April 1 and are sometimes negotiable.

Hermitage is recommended but I have never stayed there.

Four Seasons is nice but the price is not.

Food:
Bananas is great as are Montpelier and Golden Rock.

Miscellaneous:
The botanical garden is worth a visit and the Thai restaurant Oasis, on the grounds, is good as well.

TheMuseum of Nevis History is worth a visit.
Nevis is the birth place of Alexander Hamilton and the story of his childhood and subsequent relationship with his father are fascinating.

Sunshines is a beach bar and can be lots of fun. The Killer Bees , which is their version of rum punch, are great but more than 2 large ones can be detrimental ( ask my wife ). There are also monkeys that are a nuisance, but amusing at the same time.

Heading to Palisade, Colorado for the month of August. Between wineries and fruit markets I plan on 4 wheeling. I lived in Aspen for 6 years so that part of Co. is covered.I have done a lot in the Ouray, Silverton, Leadville and Lake City area. Have not done any on the Grand Mesa. The number of trails is astounding. Has anyone spent time there?

Reactions: amattaro
Heading to Palisade, Colorado for the month of August. Between wineries and fruit markets I plan on 4 wheeling. I lived in Aspen for 6 years so that part of Co. is covered.I have done a lot in the Ouray, Silverton, Leadville and Lake City area. Have not done any on the Grand Mesa. The number of trails is astounding. Has anyone spent time there?
Moab is probably my favorite place in the US. Float the river, go to arches, do some via ferrata.

Did Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon and Zion 2 years ago. Might head to Capitol Reef.
Also looking for some good recipes for peaches. This area is fantastic for peaches, apples and cherries. Palisade is right next to the Colorado River. They were given irrigation rights to the river and created this fertile oasis. Oh and the wine is pretty decent.

Last edited:
Reactions: amattaro
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT