ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2020-2021 Orndorff came on board, by that time Gas Tank Gary was the starter at HWT. Orndorff beat Traub in wrestle-offs and took his job.

Isn't that exactly what Dean did?

Singletary, Traub, what difference does it make, Orndorff came in and took someone else's job, as did McKenna and Campbell. Maybe replacing an AA makes it more newsworthy, but either way, someone on the current roster ends up on the bench.

If a person is going to come over here and make a passive-aggressive post about how Cael brings in transfers to improve his roster by replacing potential starters then that person should 1st look at both sides.

I'll play Devils Advocate: I think everyone thinks because Beard AA'ed in 2021 and that he did the greyshirt and redshirt plan that we basically were obligated to stick with him as our guy no matter what. So yeah ... I get why it's a bit "different" to other cases of recruiting over. That being said my response to that is

GIVE ME A BREAK!

The greyshirt plan offered to Michael I imagine was just Cael telling him that's your best way to get into the lineup all 4 years and the best way I can get you the most scholarship money (with Nolf/Nickal coming off the books after 2019) Through that, you can get a year at NLWC as your redshirt year and then potentially wrestle in 2020. I really doubt Cael said "You do THIS plan and you are guaranteed your starter for your entire career, regardless of other circumstances or performance!"

Michael was redshirted in 2020 because he was nowhere near ready. You don't think Cael wanted to beat Iowa that year? Shak was doing terrible but Michael's performance at Clarion and the Scuffle showed he wasn't going to do much better (losses to non AA level guys like Laird, Traxler, Bulsak) Cael was doing what was best for him by redshirting him rather than sending him to the postseason where he didn't look like an AA at all.

Last edited:

Singletary, Traub, what difference does it make, Orndorff came in and took someone else's job, as did McKenna and Campbell. Maybe replacing an AA makes it more newsworthy, but either way, someone on the current roster ends up on the bench.

If a person is going to come over here and make a passive-aggressive post about how Cael brings in transfers to improve his roster by replacing potential starters then that person should 1st look at both sides.
The only difference is Traub was not a highly ranked recruit, Singletary was.

Your points I don’t agree with. Your comparing replacing Gas Tank Gary’s of the world with Michael Beard, a podium guy right out the gate. None of the guys you mention replaced anyone nearly as good as Beard. I respect your opinion but I would suggest you do the same when you tell me to look at both sides. And once again… I COMMEND THE MOVE. I think it was great.

The only difference is Traub was not a highly ranked recruit, Singletary was.
But also Singletary struggled from the onset, was whispered as a bust just 2 years in. Beard was never in that type of conversation. That’s the difference to me in my point. I guess with some of you we just agree to disagree … that’s the point of a message board in the first place, right? We are all entitled to our opinions, and I respect all of yours, and I appreciate you allowing me to share mine on this board even with some of my takes and viewpoints contrary to the masses on here.

Your points I don’t agree with. Your comparing replacing Gas Tank Gary’s of the world with Michael Beard, a podium guy right out the gate. None of the guys you mention replaced anyone nearly as good as Beard. I respect your opinion but I would suggest you do the same when you tell me to look at both sides. And once again… I COMMEND THE MOVE. I think it was great.
I think your wording is incorrect, and that’s what the issue is with many on the board . Beard was not replaced. He was beaten out by a slightly better wrestler that walked on last year. He may be better than Max this year and would have had the opportunity to wrestle for the 197 spot at PSU again. As it stands, he will wrestle for Lehigh and I expect his match with Dean will be fantastic.

Bro, Bono would have replaced Steveson last year if Ant the Champ had a year left and a masochistic desire to be a Gopher.

• Haha
Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Back to the hotel: the Utah Valley kid at 125 and Kennedy Monday...thoughts? Frankly I don't think either comes here, Cael rides with his current roster.

Back to the hotel: the Utah Valley kid at 125 and Kennedy Monday...thoughts? Frankly I don't think either comes here, Cael rides with his current roster.
giphy.gif

and i've yet to see anybody come up with an explanation how kennedy monday has eligibility left
2021 didn't count but I'm guessing he had to wrestle this year to take advantage of the year? (Clock starts from enrollment I think?)

Otherwise, asking for a med shirt in 2019 is his other avenue.

Not to get off topic but the neighbor just hung a flag that says buckeye strong does that have something to do with their weightlifting program? lol. Neighbor wasn't too thrilled about my German shepherd pissing on his flagpole but it is what it is.

Not to get off topic but the neighbor just hung a flag that says buckeye strong does that have something to do with their weightlifting program? lol. Neighbor wasn't too thrilled about my German shepherd pissing on his flagpole but it is what it is.
I assume it was properly flown below Old Glory? Even strong buckeye flag can’t get off bottom …

Last edited:
Taylor LaMont (Utah Valley kid) committed to Wisconsin.
My opinion here may be a little biased, but I think PSU made a big oversight by not taking a closer look at Brandon Kaylor who AA'd this year at 125 for the OSU Beavers. He chose OSU because he wanted to be close to home (WA) and evidently he hit it off well with a lot of his teammates. Plus, his high school coach was a Beaver wrestling alum. However, that being said, I am fairly certain that he would have given it some serious consideration if he had been recruited by the top NCAA program in the country. He would have fit in well with the program too - good student with good personal values.

This isn't a knock at Robbie Howard, but we went another season with a hole at 125 because of unforeseen injuries. BK would have filled the spot nicely and I'm pretty sure his NCAA performance would have been at least as good as he did for the Beavers.

Last edited:
My opinion here may be a little biased, but I think PSU made a big oversight by not taking a closer look at Brandon Kaylor who AA'd this year at 125 for the OSU Beavers. He chose OSU because he wanted to be close to home (WA) and evidently he hit it off well with a lot of his teammates. Plus, his high school coach was a Beaver wrestling alum. However, that being said, I am fairly certain that he would have given it some serious consideration if he had been recruited by the top NCAA program in the country. He would have fit in well with the program too - good student with good personal values.

This isn't a knock at Robbie Howard, but we went another season with a hole at 125 because of unforeseen injuries. BK would have filled the spot nicely and I'm pretty sure his NCAA performance would have been at least as good as he did for the Beavers.
That's really easy to say with the benefit of hindsight. There's a number of wrestlers nationwide where we can look at results and say it'd be great if we had them. 100 times out of 100, I'd go with Robbie over Kaylor. Injuries suck, and hopefully, Robbie can bounce back and achieve his goals. If not, I still think PSU made the right call.

Reactions: donboy6499

Hindsight 20/20: HIldebrandt was a returning AA, seemed like a pretty good get at the time. At least we won the weight class in a bunch of duals last year.

We also can't just "take a look" at wrestlers on other rosters I don't think.
I'm talking about when he was still in HS. I'm sure there are a lot of games being played now with alum approaching wrestlers on other college teams, but I wouldn't want to have any part of that.

Kyle Burwick is in the portal. We wondered if this would happen when Lamont transferred in. Undoubtedly Lamont is better right now but he has 1 year left while Burwick has 3. He was a national qualifier last year where he went 0-2. Short term the trade off definitely makes sense but losing a tough kid who is getting better that you have for 3 years for 1 year of a fringe AA when you aren’t in the running for a team trophy seems a bit shortsighted in my eyes. What do you all think?

... I think PSU made a big oversight by not taking a closer look at Brandon Kaylor...

I don't get it. Why would BK want to come across the country, likely get very little of the 9.9, to sit behind a blue chip 3/4 of his career?

Howard's status wasnt known fully back then, but at best it would have seemed BK gets only 1 year. Then of course we ended up with Drew who on paper was also much stronger. Had Drew come to the program over the summer I think his results would have been better.

I see no reasonable case for this being an oversight, any more so than cherry picking any of the 125 AAs and saying woulda coulda shoulda.

Has someone informed Lar of that
I think next year at nationals we should dress you up like a Coe College administrator, get you a stand in the arena walkway with large paper bags marked with black and yellow letters N - I - L, a name tag reading Lee Larry and a sign on the stand reading parents of AAs not feeling loved, take a bag let's talk.

I think next year at nationals we should dress you up like a Coe College administrator, get you a stand in the arena walkway with large paper bags marked with black and yellow letters N - I - L, a name tag reading Lee Larry and a sign on the stand reading parents of AAs not feeling loved, take a bag let's talk.
This would be hilarious

We should put @Chickenman Testa in a booth with a sign saying "I can get you a meeting with Tom."

• Haha
Reactions: backdrft76
I don't get it. Why would BK want to come across the country, likely get very little of the 9.9, to sit behind a blue chip 3/4 of his career?

Howard's status wasnt known fully back then, but at best it would have seemed BK gets only 1 year. Then of course we ended up with Drew who on paper was also much stronger. Had Drew come to the program over the summer I think his results would have been better.

I see no reasonable case for this being an oversight, any more so than cherry picking any of the 125 AAs and saying woulda coulda shoulda.
I said my opinion may be a little biased. However, I watched BK wrestle a few times this year and I was pretty sure by January that he had a good chance to AA. He had really improved in a lot of areas, and his finishes on takedowns were really clean. His only losses during the year were to guys who placed ahead of him at the NCAA tournament. It would have been a really good match, but if Robbie had wrestled this year and went up against BK, I would have put my money on BK.

I said my opinion may be a little biased. However, I watched BK wrestle a few times this year and I was pretty sure by January that he had a good chance to AA. He had really improved in a lot of areas, and his finishes on takedowns were really clean. His only losses during the year were to guys who placed ahead of him at the NCAA tournament. It would have been a really good match, but if Robbie had wrestled this year and went up against BK, I would have put my money on BK.
Let it go. I don't sense any regrets here.

Reactions: AgSurfer
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT