ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hearing that AJ Ferarri is in a little hot water and may hit the transfer portal soon....
Does it involve automatic weapons, fast cars, fast women, or all three?

If there is any truth to this, perfect fit for Iowa, even with Warner there.

Regarding Ferarri to Ohio State… this is where I give Tom Ryan credit as a person, but Penn State as a program.

Gavin Hoffman is one of the most liked kids by both the wrestlers and the staff at Ohio State. Everyone knows his story as a P.A kid, he’s played second fiddle a lot before, he’s overcome a lot, and his All America finish arguably was the best thing to happen relative to Ohio State wrestling last year.

I can’t see Tom Ryan telling him under any circumstance he must leave, even for an obvious upgrade like Ferarri… just like 197 Beard IMO would have been an upgrade. I just think with Hoffman having 2years left, being an AA, combined with all his intangibles…. These all trump the circus you would get with Ferrari.

I give Penn State credit where it’s due regarding the Michael Beard situation…. He was recruited as the future 197, and he was on path to being a dominant force for years to come at the weight for PSU. But when the opportunity arose to grab Max Dean, an immediate win now upgrade, Cael didn’t hesitate to recruit over Beard.

I’m not sure Ryan has those balls that Cael has. Cael is all business and Ryan gets too emotionally attached, and the end results show which approach is better IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: fronk71
I give Penn State credit where it’s due regarding the Michael Beard situation…. He was recruited as the future 197, and he was on path to being a dominant force for years to come at the weight for PSU. But when the opportunity arose to grab Max Dean, an immediate win now upgrade, Cael didn’t hesitate to recruit over Beard.

I'm not sure this is accurate..
I'd wager it was more of a conversation with both Beard and Dean. Hey guys here's how it is. Guy who wins wrestle offs and shows he'd score more points in the post season gets the spot..
By recruiting over and bringing guys in that are better they would undermine themselves not only with those recruits but the team and future recruits. That style wouldn't end well...

What’s not accurate exactly?

The decision to bring in Dean in the first place, when Beard was already on the roster, that WAS RECRUITING over Beard.

Wrestle offs were after the fact.

If Beard would have beaten Dean in a wrestle off, that’s a win win for PSU wrestling. But Dean was brought in as a win now upgrade to compete for the 197 title, it’s foolish to say otherwise.

And just for the sake of once again offending sensitive posters/fans without it being my intention, the decision for you guys to bring in Dean over Beard is praised by Ohio State fans, and most wrestling fans I’ve seen. It’s a compliment to your program.

To always be bringing in the top guys no matter what is what we wish all our respective programs would do.

The decision to bring in Dean in the first place, when Beard was already on the roster, that WAS RECRUITING over Beard.

If Beard would have beaten Dean in a wrestle off, that’s a win win for PSU wrestling. But Dean was brought in as a win now upgrade to compete for the 197 title, it’s foolish to say otherwise.

And just for the sake of once again offending sensitive posters/fans without it being my intention, the decision for you guys to bring in Dean over Beard is praised by Ohio State fans, and most wrestling fans I’ve seen. It’s a compliment to your program.

To always be bringing in the top guys no matter what is what we wish all our respective programs would do.
My understanding was that Dean walked on at PSU or received very little money and was moving up a weight class to challenge Beard. I would not call that recruiting over Beard. No doubt you are bringing in a quality wrestler who could potentially beat out a starter, however, you are not giving the new guy a lot of money which signals he will be the starter.

If a program brings in Ferrari, they will be providing a lot of money to do so which basically says he will be the starter.

Ultimately, you have to win your spot in the lineup.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

“Recruiting over”, implies Penn State sought Dean’s services in an attempt to upgrade over Beard. However, it’s been clearly established that Dean initiated the contact with Penn State, which refutes the entire notion that Cael recruited over Beard.

Cael could have told Dean, “no thanks, we don’t need you”, but he did the right thing which was to make it an honest open competition between the two wrestlers. At the best wrestling program in the nation, no spot is guaranteed, and I’m sure Beard is in agreement with that idea.

Last edited:
You know guys can transfer for reasons other than simply money, right?

Starting to sound like a certain other website where anything other teams do is for only the worst reasons.
Really? Myself and everyone else on this board is aware transfers are for many reasons not related to money. I see that you are aware of that fact as well. I was referring to a post that referred to Finesilver "accepting a bag of cash". Call me crazy, but I maintain that the Almighty dollar plays a significant role in not only transfers but every other aspect of a persons life. That' s all I said. Have a good day.

Regarding Ferarri to Ohio State… this is where I give Tom Ryan credit as a person, but Penn State as a program.

Gavin Hoffman is one of the most liked kids by both the wrestlers and the staff at Ohio State. Everyone knows his story as a P.A kid, he’s played second fiddle a lot before, he’s overcome a lot, and his All America finish arguably was the best thing to happen relative to Ohio State wrestling last year.

I can’t see Tom Ryan telling him under any circumstance he must leave, even for an obvious upgrade like Ferarri… just like 197 Beard IMO would have been an upgrade. I just think with Hoffman having 2years left, being an AA, combined with all his intangibles…. These all trump the circus you would get with Ferrari.

I’m not sure Ryan has those balls that Cael has. Cael is all business and Ryan gets too emotionally attached, and the end results show which approach is better IMO.
Ryan imported Orndorff at Singletary's weight. Singletary had just completed a 21-9 freshman year.

LOL I thnk dean recruited PSU so there was no recruiting over anyone!!

"Cael didn’t hesitate to recruit over Beard."

You need to read more!

I'll tell ya, I was super hyped for Gavin this year--he's improved a ton, and may be a contender by next years, who knows.

A lot of people are having a hard time believing your "compliment" of Cael (that he doesn't let feelings get in the way of winning) is truly complimentary because that line has been used (typically wrongly) by the jealous types that like to show up here and diminish what Cael does.

Personally, I do not think it is Tom's clear sentimentality that necessarily is why he's not more successful. From my perspective, it has more to do with how many of his people overachieve at tournament time. We touched on Hoffman. Nato and Myles certainly did that their freshman years. Logan and Snyder are examples you could point to, but only to a point in terms of development, right? Pletcher comes to mind--it's a pity for him his final and best season was cut short (I still would pick Nick to take it all in 2020, but we'll never know). But then we have the Jordans, Kinners, Hayes, Decaturs, and even, at this point, Sasso that are bigger Q's. These next few years will go a long way in either cementing or rewriting the narrative that Tom struggles to get guys to his so cherished "genetic potential" in march. He has the horses in the barn. I'll be rooting against him, to be sure, but for his sake I hope he gets some more guys to the top.

Reactions: fronk71
I'd wager many of the head coaches are completely honest with their guys once they are on campus and probably make a point to have a talk with them on how things are done with recruiting.

Nobody denies Tom Ryan's character as a person ... despite his social media whining, this board acknowledges that he is a wrestler's coach who always gives back to the community and his fans.

That being said he would recruit over in a heartbeat lol. EVERY coach would. If he "doesn't take" Ferrari, it's because of the circus and "time bomb" potential, not because of Gavin's intangibles outweigh a potential jump to #1.

He went all in to try to win in 2018. He recruited McKenna and pushed 2 guys into a weight they're always too small for (Hayes at 149 and Micah at 157) Keshawn never got a shot to wrestle 141 for Ohio State even. But that's fine, he didn't win the spot and that's what happened. He also added TeShan Campbell and pushed his 165 out of the lineup (who I believe was a NQ anyways, forgot his name)

Campbell did not displace any NQs. The 2017 starter at 165 was sub-.500 (Cody Burcher). Jake Ryan was possibly in the mix and was a former NQ, but he was at 157 and not a starter in 2017.

We should be indebted to Ryan for winning the McKenna sweepstakes, because it led to the Avoid Zain Wrestle-off jokes, followed by the Avoid Jason Wrestle-off jokes. Without costing us any individual or team titles.

Cael did not go look for Dean that has already been established. Dean contacted PSU and asked to be part of the team. That's not recruiting over somebody it's pretty easy to tell the difference one would think. Just saying

Cael did not go look for Dean that has already been established. Dean contacted PSU and asked to be part of the team. That's not recruiting over somebody it's pretty easy to tell the difference one would think. Just saying
Cael obviously should have told a former finalist who was ready to come for free and wanted nothing more than a spot to compete and his coaching “no”

Cael doesn’t promise starting spots nor do I think any recruits asks to be promised them. (Would be a red flag to Cael IMO) You receive the best coaching, your scholarship (however much it is) and guidance on and off the mat. Then you get the opportunity to compete.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Campbell did not displace any NQs. The 2017 starter at 165 was sub-.500 (Cody Burcher). Jake Ryan was possibly in the mix and was a former NQ, but he was at 157 and not a starter in 2017.

We should be indebted to Ryan for winning the McKenna sweepstakes, because it led to the Avoid Zain Wrestle-off jokes, followed by the Avoid Jason Wrestle-off jokes. Without costing us any individual or team titles.
So even when cael loses....he wins....

Dean showed up at Penn State wanting to win and improve, and according to every source, off and on the record, is getting no money.

If AJ showed up at Ryan’s door tomorrow and asked for no money, just to improve, you think Ryan says “thanks but no thanks”?

Ryan gets trashed on this forum, but he is a good guy when you read about him. Also I know a couple of people that met him when he was at Hofstra and said he was genuinely a nice guy.

Ryan gets trashed on this forum, but he is a good guy when you read about him. Also I know a couple of people that met him when he was at Hofstra and said he was genuinely a nice guy.
I met Tom Ryan when he was wrestling in Iowa. Even as a young whippersnapper, he was polite, genuine, and classy. I get the same vibe from him now.

Ryan has earned every bit of the bashing he’s received on this board, from his incessant whining and putting things out there that he should quite frankly have enough sense to just keep his mouth shut. But, this board has acknowledged that he has been doing some things right, in that program, by how all of his wrestlers carry themselves, they are nice, respectful and display good sportsmanship. Getting the most out of his recruits is a whole different topic, but developing some very fine men is something he is accomplishing.

Ryan has earned every bit of the bashing he’s received on this board, from his incessant whining and putting things out there that he should quite frankly have enough sense to just keep his mouth shut. But, this board has acknowledged that he has been doing some things right, in that program, by how all of his wrestlers carry themselves, they are nice, respectful and display good sportsmanship. Getting the most out of his recruits is a whole different topic, but developing some very fine men is something he is accomplishing.
You forgot to mention that Tom had his son Jake medically forfeit at B1Gs to give him a better bracket on the backside. Strategically it might make sense, but it goes against all ethics of competition. This and the whining are why I can't stand Tom Ryan as a coach. I fully acknowledge the sportsmanship of his wrestlers and the fact they are good guys which says Ryan is doing something right.

Ryan imported Orndorff at Singletary's weight. Singletary had just completed a 21-9 freshman year.
Not exactly...Singletary coming off a 21-9 freshen year lost to Gas Tank Gary in wrestle off in the 2018-2019 season but still made the starting lineup. The next year however he was injured in 2019-2020. In 2020-2021 Orndorff came on board, by that time Gas Tank Gary was the starter at HWT. Orndorff beat Traub in wrestle-offs and took his job. Chase meanwhile went down to 197 that same year but was really never the same and got beat yet again in wrestle-offs this time by Gavin Hoffman. He eventually left Ohio State that year after just a few matches but never transferred. I doubt he will ever wrestle again and seems content fishing and drinking beer on the beach.

Last edited:
Him and Luke Pletcher. Pletcher and Nick Lee part 3 would have been epic in the finals.
Spencer Lee and Gable were in their own class of their weights but so was Moore. He was in all likelihood the third most sure thing that tournament easily. Nobody in that class was touching him that year. I remember some thinking Noah Adams had a shot but hindsight 20-20 now, absolutely not lol.

Reactions: mcpat
Kollin Moore was one of many hurt by the cancellation of the 2020 NCAA tournament. He was the undefeated top seed in his 5th year, having placed 3rd, 4th and 2nd the previous three seasons
It didn't help him when Bo moved to 197 during the 2018-2019 season either. I guess Bo was a Buckeye killer, excluding his redshirt freshman year. So close to being a 4 timer.

Reactions: mcpat and Str8DBLz
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT